10-0 and not in playoffs

In 1984 Delphos went 10-0 and missed the playoffs, In 1985 they went 10-0 and made the playoffs and made the state title game. In 1986 they went 10-0 yet again and didn’t make the playoffs.

In 1984 Delphos went 10-0 and missed the playoffs, In 1985 they went 10-0 and made the playoffs and made the state title game. In 1986 they went 10-0 yet again and didn’t make the playoffs.

I believe after the 1986 season Jefferson sued the OHSAA and won because of that

Back when only four teams made the playoffs it was much easier to go 10 and 0 and not make it in. I remember one year our local team went 10 and 0 and did not make it. The sad thing was if they had been in any other of the regions they would have made it.

Just because they have open enrollment, doesn't mean they actually have kids on their team from another district. And there are different kinds of open enrollment.
Our HS has OE like most places, but the amount that actually play sports is miniscule. I contribute it to the local pride the kids have for their teams and HS. Kids just don't want to jump ship and play for another school. One could say all the local county schools are considered rivals and no way would you want to go play for 'the enemy'.

According to data from the Ohio Department of Education, only 16.4% of school districts in Ohio have no open enrollment. http://education.ohio.gov/getattach...strict-Status_pdf2019-201.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US
What does that have to do with anything. Most schools you play at the district you live at. I’m sure a weird concept for most to grasp. The only open enrollment kids are poor kids that got kicked out of their home district. The whole Ohsaa counting students is an outdated system

I remember that point in time.
1998 my brother was a senior and the QB and going into week 10 we thought we needed a win to stay in the top 4. This was before all these expert computer data bases that had predictors and such.
They stunk and got beat in week 10 and we all were wishing that if only the new top 8 started that season and spent until Sunday afternoon wondering and waiting.

Here's a good one...1996 Liberty Center goes 9-1 with a 22-20 lost to Patrick Henry and doesn't make the playoffs. 1997 Liberty Center loses to Patrick Henry 46-44 on a last play of the game TD with no time on the clock after a penalty. History looks to repeat itself. After some injuries, Ottawa Hills is down to 20 players and doesn't want to lose more so they forfeit to Liberty Center. This gives the Tigers a lower divisor and they bump Elmwood out of the 4th playoff spot by hundredths of a point. After a close first round win over Marion Pleasant 21-19, Liberty Center proceeded to roll everyone else on the way to a State Championship winning every game by 4-5 touchdowns. The only team to ever beat 4 undefeated teams in the playoffs!

Rolly, Liberty Center was not the only one to beat four undefeated teams in the playoffs. One other one to do so was Patrick Henry who defeated 11-0 Wayne Trace, 12-0 Wynford, 13-0 South Range and 14-0 Cin. Hills Christian Academy to win D5 state title in 2005.

Rolly, Liberty Center was not the only one to beat four undefeated teams in the playoffs. One other one to do so was Patrick Henry who defeated 11-0 Wayne Trace, 12-0 Wynford, 13-0 South Range and 14-0 Cin. Hills Christian Academy to win D5 state title in 2005.
My fault, I should've been clearer, Liberty Center was the only team to beat 4 undefeated teams in the playoffs when you only played 4 playoff games pre-1999 playoff expansion.
Side note-I can't remember if it was LB or Elmwood but the only not undefeated team that 05 team played gave them their closest game.

Rolly, yes, the closest margin of victory was Patrick Henry's first playoff game against Elmwood where the Patriots edged the Royals 34-31. I was very impressed with Elmwood's center. They played a spread offense and his shotgun snaps were the most accurate I've ever seen in a high school game. The qb would receive the snap most of the time without even having to take a step. This made the handoff to the running back very fast and efficient.

I remember Shawnee going 10-0 and beat Urbana and Urbana went to the playoffs at 9-1. That sure did suck!