SWOH D1 Thread

Well you also need talent too. I don't have the energy anymore to commit to what's necessary in today's game to get players.

The urban public schools don't have the resources and the privates say it's cheating.

Schools like Mason and Sycamore and the Lakotas are sleeping giants. They have talent and resources. It pains me to no end that they can't figure it out.

I'd honestly rather disrupt the AD attitudes and status quo in the city. I think more impact could be had there. They're all bureaucrats with zero vision.
walk the hall of mason hs and tell me that school is teeming with basketbball players. there is a reason mason wins tennis, chess, academic bowl.

Lastly, there are college basketball players and then there are college basketball players. What high school players from this area have gone on to be impact players at the Divsion1 Power Five level in even the last decade?
Non GCL category, MaCaio Teague (Walnut Hills) started on a national championship team. Darius Bazely (Princeton) skipped college altogether and has gotten a good run in the NBA. Vince Edwards played for Middletown 10 years ago. Top end talent just rarely stays at a public school anymore and the Cincinnati area isn’t even on the same level with Indiana for talent. Football is king here. The basketball teams are very well-coached though and they play disciplined ball and great defense because they have to. Freaking Mason went 3-0 at a Florida tournament this winter, including beating a top 5 team in South Carolina. They got creamed in the GMC.

Non GCL category, MaCaio Teague (Walnut Hills) started on a national championship team. Darius Bazely (Princeton) skipped college altogether and has gotten a good run in the NBA. Vince Edwards played for Middletown 10 years ago. Top end talent just rarely stays at a public school anymore and the Cincinnati area isn’t even on the same level with Indiana for talent. Football is king here. The basketball teams are very well-coached though and they play disciplined ball and great defense because they have to. Freaking Mason went 3-0 at a Florida tournament this winter, including beating a top 5 team in South Carolina. They got creamed in the GMC.
Kennard and Land in the NBA

Look man, I follow the Lakota's. Lakota East did NOT have talent. Not just none on their bench, but even in their starting 5. But Adkins is a great coach and has built a program that doesn't rely on having a bunch of talent to succeed. And East wasn't the exception this year, which was particularly lacking. Just look at the district championship games from today. We had 8 teams and not a lot of talent out there. You think it was the coaching schemes that created the lack of talent we just saw today?
Um...Trey Perry?

Been there, done that. It's honestly part of the reason why I got out.

In saying that, I kind of burned out before I could even get a head coaching job, alot of times when I made my opinions known on these type of topics. Coaches don't like to hear those kinds of differing opinions about their strategies and philosophies.

I saw so much untapped potential of kids being robots instead of basketball players. It's getting worse in Cincinnati HS basketball. I know the level of basketball is better than we are seeing in these games.
where have you coached? just curious b/c i used to coach as well.

jtk
()

The Sycamore district is landlocked, no room for expansion. Moreover, it has a closed enrollment policy so the talent pool is limited to who lives in the district and comes walking through the front door. I will agree with you on coaches micro-managing. Are they afraid being fired if they lose? I'm a CPS alum who grew up in an era before open enrollment, coach shopping and all that crap. With the exceptions of Walnut Hills and Central Vocational, a student living in any particular geographical neighborhood had to attend that neighborhood's high school. (What a novel concept). More importantly the same varsity basketball coaches, win or lose, seemed to be at the same schools year after year. This may have been a product of the CPS school system being aware what kind of cards the coaches were dealt. Coaches may have left, voluntarily or involuntarily, for other reasons, but not for lack of winning records. I do not recall these coaches micro-managing to the nth degree for fear of losing their jobs. With this relative stability I also do not recall coaches job hopping at the drop of a hat because they think some other school system has a better immediate pipeline of talent.

I did get to see Monteverde Academy play in the City of Palms Classic in Fort Meyers, FL, a few years ago. Kevin Boyle, the Monteverde coach, stood on the sideline the entire game chanting like an auctioneer, micro-managing every pass. I don't think he was in fear of losing his job and probably could probably pick any five players on his team, roll the ball out there, and win the game.

Lastly, there are college basketball players and then there are college basketball players. What high school players from this area have gone on to be impact players at the Divsion1 Power Five level in even the last decade?
Evan Mahaffey is starting as a sophomore for Ohio State.

You said "Lakota East did NOT have talent. Not just none on their bench, but even in their starting 5"

Trey Perry would've been the best player at Cintas save for Powell.
I thought knowing they have arguably the GMC player of the year was a given. Didn’t think I needed to point him out...........again. I've said on here multiple times that this year's East team was the least talented team they've had in over a decade. They had MAYBE 3 players that would start most years. The players they did play outside of that would normally be lucky to get any playing time, let alone start. Sycamore was pretty much the same type of team. One great player, then a team filled out with players that struggle to dribble, pass, and shoot. The basics.

Jaxon Hayes, Miles Mcbride, Jarron and Javein Cumberland all made an impact at the D1 level.
UC was in the AAC Jarron was there. Javevin was mostly a Horizon League player. Other posters have mentioned other players like Teague "having played" on a national championship team at Baylor. Vince Edwards had an OK run at Purdue but he was never the leading scorer and only in his senior season was he the team's top rebounder. Who knows for sure what Bazley (now plying his trade for the Delaware Blue Coats in the G League) would have done. Hayes was a 10 and 5 guy in his one year at Texas. I'm referring to a bona fide Power 5 alpha dog. Me genesis for this is when that Wheeler, GA, team with two D1 commits came up to Sycamore in a pre-season scrimmage. Articles suggested the gym was sprinkled with D 1 coaches purportedly to see the then uncommitted Burgess. That conveyed the belief that he was The One.

UC was in the AAC Jarron was there. Javevin was mostly a Horizon League player. Other posters have mentioned other players like Teague "having played" on a national championship team at Baylor. Vince Edwards had an OK run at Purdue but he was never the leading scorer and only in his senior season was he the team's top rebounder. Who knows for sure what Bazley (now plying his trade for the Delaware Blue Coats in the G League) would have done. Hayes was a 10 and 5 guy in his one year at Texas. I'm referring to a bona fide Power 5 alpha dog. Me genesis for this is when that Wheeler, GA, team with two D1 commits came up to Sycamore in a pre-season scrimmage. Articles suggested the gym was sprinkled with D 1 coaches purportedly to see the then uncommitted Burgess. That conveyed the belief that he was The One.
In the case of Hayes, that seems like goalposts being moved. A guy averaging 10 and 5 as a true freshman is making an impact. He doesn't count because he was a one and done (and still a lottery pick)?

Jarron finished 4th on UC's all time scoring list. He was also on a top 5 ranked team his sophomore year. Most "bona fide Power 5 alpha dogs" don't play at real high schools anymore. They go to the prep schools and make shift basketball factories.

Some people just shouldn't talk basketball. Are you knocking Teague or not? Because, he was a star for two years on that Baylor team averaging 13ppg! Along with a few others who happen to be Draft picks as well. Vince Edwards having an "OK" run is another wild take started from day one only player in school history with 1500+points 700+rebounds and 400+assist two Sweet 16s, 4 NCAA Tournaments where he avg. 16 and 8. Bazely a McDonalds All American, Top 25 pick who has started in over half his NBA games. We'll never know but pretty confident at 6'9 playing the three in Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone would of did just fine in the NCAA! Jaxson Hayes 10 and 5 was enough to be an 8th overall Draft pick. We all know UC was in a transition conference wise. But Cumberland was a power 5 talent. No doubt a star at UC 1700 points and 400 assist when your stats are in the same category as Steve Logan and Oscar Robertson I would call that Alpha. If your looking for a NPOY then say that but these guys were alphas at power 5 schools!

Some people just shouldn't talk basketball. Are you knocking Teague or not? Because, he was a star for two years on that Baylor team averaging 13ppg! Along with a few others who happen to be Draft picks as well. Vince Edwards having an "OK" run is another wild take started from day one only player in school history with 1500+points 700+rebounds and 400+assist two Sweet 16s, 4 NCAA Tournaments where he avg. 16 and 8. Bazely a McDonalds All American, Top 25 pick who has started in over half his NBA games. We'll never know but pretty confident at 6'9 playing the three in Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone would of did just fine in the NCAA! Jaxson Hayes 10 and 5 was enough to be an 8th overall Draft pick. We all know UC was in a transition conference wise. But Cumberland was a power 5 talent. No doubt a star at UC 1700 points and 400 assist when your stats are in the same category as Steve Logan and Oscar Robertson I would call that Alpha. If your looking for a NPOY then say that but these guys were alphas at power 5 schools!
Cumberland in the same category as Oscar?

Please…..

In the case of Hayes, that seems like goalposts being moved. A guy averaging 10 and 5 as a true freshman is making an impact. He doesn't count because he was a one and done (and still a lottery pick)?
Hayes was the third leading scorer and second leading rebounder on the team in his one year at Texas. Yet he was the only Longhorn voted to the all-conference team (2nd team). All this per sports reference and if this you look it up it was a lean year in the Big 12 as far as NBA draftees were concerned. But this is a high school-to-college only discussion.

Last edited:

Cumberland in the same category as Oscar?

Please…..
Definition of "star", please? Teague was not first in scoring rebounding OR assists in either of his two seasons at Baylor.

Of all the names thrown around here Luke Kennard is the ONLY player from an 'expanded" Cincinnati area who could be considered an alpha dog on a Power 5 team. (POY in ACC his second year). And this is over a seven or eight year period. First, a player has to be the best on his team. Next, being FIRST team all-conference bolsters ones bona fides. Anything you state about Bazley and Cumberland is mere speculation. If what you say is true, Bazley may be the only player to start half of his team's NBA games and wind up in the G League. And, do you think Cumberland would have been the alpha dog at, say, Indiana, Michigan State or (gasp) Kentucky?

Last edited:
Jarron finished 4th on UC's all time scoring list. He was also on a top 5 ranked team his sophomore year. Most "bona fide Power 5 alpha dogs" don't play at real high schools anymore. They go to the prep schools and make shift basketball factories.
You have an official scorecard on that? And, how any local players moved on to basketball factories? Tyler McKinley and.......

Last edited: