SWOH D1 Thread

The McMillan kid from Woodward and Griffith from Taft are two that come to mind.
McMillan, Cincinnati's all-time leading high school basketball scorer, went to NJIT for a year. He transferred to Central Michigan where he averaged 8.4 points per game (5th on the team) while playing in all but one of the team's 31 games. As of March 14, 2024, Ra'von Griffith has done nothing as a college basketball player.

Moeller and Centerville won. Truly, these two regions had unexpected outcomes.
How do you mean? The clear #1 from both Dayton and Cincinnati from before the season began are playing each other in the regional final. Or was that sarcasm?

One thing I will say, these 2 teams, along with Elder, are the only teams that looked like normal teams you'd see after sectional championships. The talent across R4 was really really bad this year.

How do you mean? The clear #1 from both Dayton and Cincinnati from before the season began are playing each other in the regional final. Or was that sarcasm?

One thing I will say, these 2 teams, along with Elder, are the only teams that looked like normal teams you'd see after sectional championships. The talent across R4 was really really bad this year.
I can agree with this. It was definitely a down year for the basketball talent across Region 4.

yes, this was sarcasm. there weren't a ton of fun stories once sectionals finished, especially for someone who only follows the ECC.

McMillan, Cincinnati's all-time leading high school basketball scorer, went to NJIT for a year. He transferred to Central Michigan where he averaged 8.4 points per game (5th on the team) while playing in all but one of the team's 31 games. As of March 14, 2024, Ra'von Griffith has done nothing as a college basketball player.
You asked how many Cincy kids have gone to prep schools. I answered. Never claimed either was an " alpha dog". Even when I mentioned a one and done lottery pick, that didn't count either as a great player out of Cincinnati. You are a tough critic. Your googling skills are impressive.

Last edited:
It's going to be St X and Moe battling it out for GCL supremacy for the forseeable future.

Elder's window is now shut after this class. I know alot of Elder people who were sure these past 4-5 years would find Elder in a Final Four. They had the best talent in the GCL 4 of those 5 years (this year being Moeller), but never even made a Regional final. They had some very good talent come through during that stretch. I believe they lost in the Regional Semis in 3 of those 5 years.

X and Moe are now getting the best feeder players and Moe and perhaps even St X will supplement with city-wide talent.

LaSalle will continue to bring up the caboose. They've almost become irrelevant.

It's going to be St X and Moe battling it out for GCL supremacy for the forseeable future.

Elder's window is now shut after this class. I know alot of Elder people who were sure these past 4-5 years would find Elder in a Final Four. They had the best talent in the GCL 4 of those 5 years (this year being Moeller), but never even made a Regional final. They had some very good talent come through during that stretch. I believe they lost in the Regional Semis in 3 of those 5 years.

X and Moe are now getting the best feeder players and Moe and perhaps even St X will supplement with city-wide talent.

LaSalle will continue to bring up the caboose. They've almost become irrelevant.
Moeller has one of the best 8th graders in the state coming in next year in Chandis "Bubba" Donald to go with some other talented 8th graders

You asked how many Cincy kids have gone to prep schools. I answered. Never claimed either was an " alpha dog". Even when I mentioned a one and done lottery pick, that didn't count either as a great player out of Cincinnati. You are a tough critic. Your googling skills are impressive.
McMillan did not go to a prep school. He went from Woodward High School directly to NJIT, a Division 1 university competing in the America East Conference. Thank you for the praise of my Googling skills, as left-handed as it may be. But what really gladdens my heart was the 4:47 a.m. time of your post. Took you most of the night to come up with that gem. You should try Google some time so you can have facts on your side instead of shoot-from-the-hip opinions. After all, you must be familiar with the old bromide about opinions. And, yes, I guess I am a tough critic. This century I can think of just three area high school basketball players who moved the needle on my excitement meter. Luke Kennard, O. J. Mayo and Bill Walker.

Last edited:
McMillan did not go to a prep school. He went from Woodward High School directly to NJIT, a Division 1 university competing in the America East Conference. Thank you for the praise of my Googling skills, as left-handed as it may be. But what really gladdens my heart was the 4:47 a.m. time of your post. Took you most of the night to come up with that gem. You should try Googol some time so you can have facts on your side instead of shoot-from-the-hip opinions. After all, you must be familiar with the old bromide about opinions. And, yes, I guess I am a tough critic. This century I can think of just three area high school basketball players who moved the needle on my excitement meter. Luke Kennard, O. J. Mayo and Bill Walker.
I wake up at 4 am nearly everyday, thanks for noticing. I have never heard of Googol, I'll have to try that out. O.J. Mayo went to Huntington Prep his senior year and started in Kentucky at Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, so he doesn't count. You are right about McMillan, he flirted with going to a prep school in Arizona but backed out before his Junior year. Compass Prep I believe.

I wake up at 4 am nearly everyday, thanks for noticing. I have never heard of Googol, I'll have to try that out. O.J. Mayo went to Huntington Prep his senior year and started in Kentucky at Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, so he doesn't count. You are right about McMillan, he flirted with going to a prep school in Arizona but backed out before his Junior year. Compass Prep I believe.
Oj Mayo went to Huntington HS which is where he is from not Huntington Prep. Paul went to Compass prep in the summer before his Senior year but came back bc it wasn't the right fit for him

McMillan did not go to a prep school. He went from Woodward High School directly to NJIT, a Division 1 university competing in the America East Conference. Thank you for the praise of my Googling skills, as left-handed as it may be. But what really gladdens my heart was the 4:47 a.m. time of your post. Took you most of the night to come up with that gem. You should try Googol some time so you can have facts on your side instead of shoot-from-the-hip opinions. After all, you must be familiar with the old bromide about opinions. And, yes, I guess I am a tough critic. This century I can think of just three area high school basketball players who moved the needle on my excitement meter. Luke Kennard, O. J. Mayo and Bill Walker.
Actually Paul did attend Compass Prep for a few weeks, but returned to Woodward. Staying at Compass may have helped his development, but "Home is Home". The young man is doing well playing in the MAC for Central Michigan and getting a good education.

Googol is a large number, bigger than any scoring average of every basketball player. Now, you stand by your statement that O J. Mayo's three years at North College Hill? Heavens to Dallas, it was all a Pam Ewing dream. Give back those two state championship trophies and all the hardware that came before them. Oh, be aware of Rumpke trucks.

Last edited:
Googol is a large number, bigger than any scoring average of every basketball player. Now, you stand by your statement that O J. Mayo's three years at North College Hill? Heavens to Dallas, it was all a Pam Ewing dream. Give back those two state championship trophies and all the hardware that came before them. Oh, be aware of Rumpke trucks.
Who shot JR?

Didn’t watch Moe/CVille but someone on twitter is complaining about the refs
Centerville blew a lead in regulation, Moeller blew a lead in first OT. Moeller had ball tie game with under a minute left. They could've easily held for last shot. Moeller drove and scored with 30 seconds left. Centerville hit a 3 with under 10 seconds left. Moeller drove the length of the floor and missed at the buzzer. Could've been a travel call on Centerville before the 3. But it was questionable. Not sure why Moeller shot with 30 seconds left in 2OT, even though they made it.

Who shot JR?
His sister-in-law, Kristin Shepard. That leads me to Reed Shepherd. I bypassed looking at the top 100 recruits (haven't done anything in college yet) and instead went to an NBA mock draft site. Reed Shepherd is a top 10 projection, North Laurel High School via a one-season pit stop at UK.
Setting aside foreign and G League players, the only two collegians ahead of Shepherd are Cody Williams of Colorado and Stephon Castle of UConn. Next is Dalton Knecht of Tennessee. None of the four went to a basketball factory. First factory product is Rob Dillingham of UK. I have been too busy with my charts and graphs in preparation for my NCAA and NIT brackets. Only other break I have taken the last few days is to examine pictures of Amy Pickett in the wake of her comments about her husband's trade from the Steelers to the Eagles. Gee, she is small. Still, a classic case of a quarterback connecting with a tight end.

His sister-in-law, Kristin Shepard. That leads me to Reed Shepherd. I bypassed looking at the top 100 recruits (haven't done anything in college yet) and instead went to an NBA mock draft site. Reed Shepherd is a top 10 projection, North Laurel High School via a one-season pit stop at UK.
Setting aside foreign and G League players, the only two collegians ahead of Shepherd are Cody Williams of Colorado and Stephon Castle of UConn. Next is Dalton Knecht of Tennessee. None of the four went to a basketball factory. First factory product is Rob Dillingham of UK. I have been too busy with my charts and graphs in preparation for my NCAA and NIT brackets. Only other break I have taken the last few days is to examine pictures of Amy Pickett in the wake of her comments about her husband's trade from the Steelers to the Eagles. Gee, she is small. Still, a classic case of a quarterback connecting with a tight end.
Looking at the top 5 of last years 2023 class, three of the top 5 went to Accelerated Schools, Donda Academy, and OT Elite. Scanning the top 25 I see two Link Academy, Compass Prep, Brewster Academy, Prolific Prep, Montverde Academy twice, Sunrise Christian twice. Scanning the top 50 two more Donda kids, two more Brewster, IMG, another Sunrise Christian and two more OT Elite. These kids ain't going to Any town USA high.

So now NBA draft status does matter to you? You claimed Hayes wasnt in college long enough to have an impact and we were debating college players not NBA draft status. Willams of Colorado and Castle from Uconn aren't " alpha dogs" in college,since Jaxon Hayes wasn't one. I can move the goal post to fit my argument as well. Good luck with your charts and brackets. I'm sure by tomorrow at 5 your bracket will be in shambles.

P.S. Your satirical comedic references are mediocre at best. Please keep trying.

Last edited: