• Hoban by 9-16

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Hoban by 17+

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, there had to be a better design, right? First time I watched a game there I thought the stadium's away seating was still under construction or something.
They used to take all of the stage down and now they just leave it up and not only does it look ridiculous but the poles are right in the line of sight to watch the game. It’s a concert facility that has a football field not the other way around.

I mean, there had to be a better design, right? First time I watched a game there I thought the stadium's away seating was still under construction or something.
The away side was built specifically for concerts and the HOF induction ceremony. They made sure not to build it to high so you could see the top part of the HOF rotunda from the home side. The stage canopy is designed to be removed and the stage has roll out seating like most basketball arenas have. They have just chosen to leave that canopy up and not put the seats where the stage is located. It makes for horrible site lines on the visitors side.

No, they have zero, they will still have zero after tomorrow night, and if they should have won a title in the last 50 years, they would have done it. Championships are won on the field, not doled out by some out-of-shape sportswriters who don't even know who half the teams even are.
I bet you played on that 89 Walsh team, Explains the saltiness. LOL!! So close to beating Massillon but you learned the game is 4 qtrs not 2.

Just posted a Massillon-Hoban game preview on my social media. It's long, but if you like my posts on here, I think that you'll like this...

Massillon Hoban 2023 State copy.jpg

Thursday @ 7 PM: Division II

Massillon (15-0) vs. Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

At the very worst, this year's Massillon squad is, in my humble opinion, the best team that I’ve seen Harding play since the ‘97 Canton McKinley Bulldogs, who went that entire season wire to wire as the USA Today’s top ranked team in the nation. Coached by the legendary Thom McDaniels, three Bulldogs from that squad eventually made it to the NFL by way of Ohio State in Kenny Peterson, Jamar Martin, and the one that every old school Harding fan should definitely remember, Mike Doss. That doesn't include running back DeMarlo Rozier, who rushed for 97 yards & 1 TD on 18 carries in McKinley's 30-9 victory against Harding that year en route to being a First Team All-Ohio selection. He went on to play college football at Kent State.

Just mentioning this year's Tigers in the same breath as the 1997 USA Today national champs is extremely high praise, but under the direction of Coach Nate Moore, they are absolutely loaded at every position. So much so that despite one of their best defensive players, Bowling Green commit Dorian Pringle, sitting out last week’s Division II state semifinal vs. Cincinnati Anderson, Massillon still triumphed 55-7.

Senior defensive end Chase Bond, an NC State commit, picked up the slack with 7 tackles (4 for a loss), 3 sacks, and a 51-yard interception return for a touchdown against Anderson. Linebacker Cody Fair, the Tigers' leader with 72 tackles this season, registered 6 tackles (2 for a loss) and a sack. That level of domination has been present throughout their entire season as ten of their 15 games have ended with a running clock (30-point mercy rule), which doesn’t even include every game that they actually triggered one. In total, the Tiger defense has only surrendered 107 points in 15 games (7.1 PPG).

Throughout the 2000's, Archbishop Hoban was a solid program that featured some great talent. They often played against larger and/or more elite schools, which resulted in occasional lumps being taken. In fact, every Steel Valley Conference team from back then (Harding, Austintown Fitch, Boardman, Cardinal Mooney, and Youngstown Ursuline) recorded at least one double-digit victory over the Knights. That trend was capped off by Mooney's dominant 34-0 victory at Hoban in 2007.

While games from that long ago may seem irrelevant now, Hoban spending those years raising the expectations of their program was the first step. After the hiring of current head coach Tim Tyrell in January of 2013, the final piece of the puzzle was put into place as things would eventually snowball into the juggernaut that started to come to fruition in 2015. That year, Hoban won their first ever state championship, which came in Division III. The Knights didn’t stop there as they went on to add additional state crowns in 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2020. Within that time frame, the OHSAA adopted a “competitive balance” policy, which fwiw I absolutely hate everything about (whole different topic), that bumped Hoban up to Division II in 2017. As you can see, it didn’t affect the Knights’ takeover at all as they’ve cemented themselves as a one of the more elite football programs in not only all of Ohio, but the entire country.

If you need an illustration, look no further than their starting linebacker core as seniors Rickey Williams (West Virginia) and Devin Bell (Miami of Ohio) along with junior Eli Lee (Ohio State) are all committed to FBS schools. They'll look to limit a Massillon offense that has scored 611 points this season, an average of 40.7 points per game. The Knights' main focus will be to limit the production of Tiger quarterback DaOne Owens, who has accounted for 2,770 yards & 33 touchdowns worth of total offense while only throwing three interceptions.

Junior quarterback Jalen Slaughter has also made his presence felt as he's 34-of-60 for 685 yards with 9 touchdowns & 4 interceptions. Their favorite targets have been Braylyn Toles (45 catches for 614 yards & 8 TDs), Jacques Carter (39 catches for 784 yards & 7 TDs), and Emy Louis Jr. (14 catches for 364 yards & 7 TDs). Ja'Meir Gamble is the Tigers' second leading rusher as he's compiled 945 yards & 5 touchdowns on 138 carries.

Hoban's secondary will be headlined by sophomore cornerback Elbert Hill, who already has FBS offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Colorado, etc. He'll be shadowed by senior free safety and Central Michigan commit Tysen Campbell.

Offensively, the Knights are led by junior quarterback Tylan Boykin, who will look to utilize his speedy weapons in Hill, Jaylen Hightower, and sophomore Payton Cook. Among his big hogs protecting him up front include Tennessee commit William Satterwhite and sophomore Sam Greer, who already holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Miami, etc.

While all 24 of Massillon’s state titles came prior to the playoff era (pre 1972), there's only a select few schools that have legit "bragging rights" over them. While Harding's all-time record of 25-60-3 against the Tigers severely limits their involvement in that conversation, the Raiders' 21-20 (OT) triumph over Massillon in the 2002 Division I state semi final still haunts Massillon faithful to this day as they would've matched up very well with eventual state champion Cincinnati Elder. Over the years, the Tigers' main "kryptonite" has been Cleveland St. Ignatius (2-12 all time) & Cincinnati Moeller (2-11 all-time).

Overall, this is Massillon's seventh appearance in the OHSAA state championship game and to date, they're ranked third in the country for all-time wins with 947. A win tomorrow night vs. Hoban would not only give them their first state playoff title, but it'd tie them with Louisville (KY) Male High School for second all-time with 948 wins. Either way, they're in a good position to surpass Valdosta's (GA) 952 wins as early as next year.

Unlike their counterpart, Hoban doesn't have 100+ years of dominance under their belt. However, under Coach Tyrell, they're currently in the midst of a nine-year run that's only rivaled by a select few schools in Ohio. They have a program that, despite not winning a state title since 2020, is well inside the "dynasty" category. The coaching staff is elite and their players have fully bought into what they're being taught, which is to strive to be the absolute best regardless of who they're lined up across. To date, they're 3-2 all-time against Massillon, which includes a 3-1 record since 2018. With Thursday set to be one of the warmest days this week, expect a huge crowd at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium for one of the premiere high school football matchups in the entire country this year.

Good luck to both teams!

Last edited:
Just posted a Massillon-Hoban game preview on my social media. It's long, but if you like my posts on here, I think that you'll like this...

View attachment 50621

At the very worst, this year's Massillon squad is, in my humble opinion, the best team that I’ve seen Harding play since the ‘97 Canton McKinley Bulldogs, who went that entire season wire to wire as the USA Today’s top ranked team in the nation. Coached by the legendary Thom McDaniels, three Bulldogs from that squad eventually made it to the NFL by way of Ohio State in Kenny Peterson, Jamar Martin, and the one that every old school Harding fan should definitely remember, Mike Doss. That doesn't include running back DeMarlo Rozier, who rushed for 97 yards & 1 TD on 18 carries in McKinley's 30-9 victory against Harding that year en route to being a First Team All-Ohio selection. He went on to play college football at Kent State.

Just mentioning this year's Tigers in the same breath as the 1997 USA Today national champs is extremely high praise, but under the direction of Coach Nate Moore, they are absolutely loaded at every position. So much so that despite one of their best defensive players, Bowling Green commit Dorian Pringle, sitting out last week’s Division II state semifinal vs. Cincinnati Anderson, Massillon still triumphed 55-7.

Senior defensive end Chase Bond, an NC State commit, picked up the slack with 7 tackles (4 for a loss), 3 sacks, and a 51-yard interception return for a touchdown against Anderson. Linebacker Cody Fair, the Tigers' leader with 72 tackles this season, registered 6 tackles (2 for a loss) and a sack. That level of domination has been present throughout their entire season as ten of their 15 games have ended with a running clock (30-point mercy rule), which doesn’t even include every game that they actually triggered one. In total, the Tiger defense has only surrendered 107 points in 15 games (7.1 PPG).

Throughout the 2000's, Archbishop Hoban was a solid program that featured some great talent. They often played against larger and/or more elite schools, which resulted in occasional lumps being taken. In fact, every Steel Valley Conference team from back then (Harding, Austintown Fitch, Boardman, Cardinal Mooney, and Youngstown Ursuline) recorded at least one double-digit victory over the Knights. That trend was capped off by Mooney's dominant 34-0 victory at Hoban in 2007.

While games from that long ago may seem irrelevant now, Hoban spending those years raising the expectations of their program was the first step. After the hiring of current head coach Tim Tyrell in January of 2013, the final piece of the puzzle was put into place as things would eventually snowball into the juggernaut that started to come to fruition in 2015. That year, Hoban won their first ever state championship, which came in Division III. The Knights didn’t stop there as they went on to add additional state crowns in 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2020. Within that time frame, the OHSAA adopted a “competitive balance” policy, which fwiw I absolutely hate everything about (whole different topic), that bumped Hoban up to Division II in 2017. As you can see, it didn’t affect the Knights’ takeover at all as they’ve cemented themselves as a one of the more elite football programs in not only all of Ohio, but the entire country.

If you need an illustration, look no further than their starting linebacker core as seniors Rickey Williams (West Virginia) and Devin Bell (Miami of Ohio) along with junior Eli Lee (Ohio State) are all committed to FBS schools. They'll look to limit a Massillon offense that has scored 611 points this season, an average of 40.7 points per game. The Knights' main focus will be to limit the production of Tiger quarterback DaOne Owens, who has accounted for 2,770 yards & 33 touchdowns worth of total offense while only throwing three interceptions.

Junior quarterback Jalen Slaughter has also made his presence felt as he's 34-of-60 for 685 yards with 9 touchdowns & 4 interceptions. Their favorite targets have been Braylyn Toles (45 catches for 614 yards & 8 TDs), Jacques Carter (39 catches for 784 yards & 7 TDs), and Emy Louis Jr. (14 catches for 364 yards & 7 TDs). Ja'Meir Gamble is the Tigers' second leading rusher as he's compiled 945 yards & 5 touchdowns on 138 carries.

Hoban's secondary will be headlined by sophomore cornerback Elbert Hill, who already has FBS offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Colorado, etc. He'll be shadowed by senior free safety and Central Michigan commit Tysen Campbell.

Offensively, the Knights are led by junior quarterback Tylan Boykin, who will look to utilize his speedy weapons in Hill, Jaylen Hightower, and sophomore Payton Cook. Among his big hogs protecting him up front include Tennessee commit William Satterwhite and sophomore Sam Greer, who already holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Miami, etc.

While all 24 of Massillon’s state titles came prior to the playoff era (pre 1972), there's only a select few schools that have legit "bragging rights" over them. While Harding's all-time record of 25-60-3 against the Tigers severely limits their involvement in that conversation, the Raiders' 21-20 (OT) triumph over Massillon in the 2002 Division I state semi final still haunts Massillon faithful to this day as they would've matched up very well with eventual state champion Cincinnati Elder. Over the years, the Tigers' main "kryptonite" has been Cleveland St. Ignatius (2-12 all time) & Cincinnati Moeller (2-11 all-time).

Overall, this is Massillon's seventh appearance in the OHSAA state championship game and to date, they're ranked third in the country for all-time wins with 947. A win tomorrow night vs. Hoban would not only give them their first state playoff title, but it'd tie them with Louisville (KY) Male High School for second all-time with 948 wins. Either way, they're in a good position to surpass Valdosta's (GA) 952 wins as early as next year.

Unlike their counterpart, Hoban doesn't have 100+ years of dominance under their belt. However, under Coach Tyrell, they're currently in the midst of a nine-year run that's only rivaled by a select few schools in Ohio. They have a program that, despite not winning a state title since 2020, is well inside the "dynasty" category. The coaching staff is elite and their players have fully bought into what they're being taught, which is to strive to be the absolute best regardless of who they're lined up across. To date, they're 3-2 all-time against Massillon, which includes a 3-1 record since 2018. With Thursday set to be one of the warmest days this week, expect a huge crowd at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium for one of the premiere high school football matchups in the entire country this year.

Good luck to both teams!

Worm02 should be granted Yappi legend status.

I bet you played on that 89 Walsh team, Explains the saltiness. LOL!! So close to beating Massillon but you learned the game is 4 qtrs not 2.
Even Spectrum News ( in partnership with the OHSAA) says Massillon is looking for their 1st state title……..it’s in the news so it’s gotta be true

Attachments

• 0118DBF0-CB79-4DAE-A167-ED43A4E5F56E.png
    0118DBF0-CB79-4DAE-A167-ED43A4E5F56E.png
    723.7 KB · Views: 44

View attachment 50621

Good luck to both teams!
Very well worth the read worm. Thanks for the effort you put into this. TIG and good luck to your raiders next year.

Nate Moore has a staff of FOOTBALL coaches who go to clinics, innovate and genuinely could go coach anywhere from middle school to the college level. Hoban coaches are good guys but probably could only coach at a place like Hoban (Tyrell excluded). Now to be fair, I more or less felt the same way last week versus Avon. But the difference is that Nate Moore believes he can win, where Elder didn’t think he could.
I’m going to have to disagree hard with this comment. Massillon and Hoban are mirror images of each other with the recruiting, weight room, facilities (excluding the indoor, but Hoban still could get one). Anyone can coach the best players in the area. I’m not saying they aren’t good coaches, but they are not working with completely raw materials on the sideline.

As much as I dislike Winkler’s game day antics, I don’t think there is a better HS strength coach in the area.

This "Hoban underdog" talk is a bit absurd. Two factors (irrespective of these specific teams):
- Hoban always seems to dial it up a notch or two against Massillon. Look at their honks on here. Massillon -- more than any other -- is the team they want to beat. They play accordingly.
- Massillon (much as it pains to say this) always seems to crap the bed a bit against Hoban. They play tentatively, on their heels. They let Hoban dictate on both sides of the ball.

Will Thursday be different? Ask me Thursday night.
Hoban couldn’t care less who the opponent is, they just want to win. Not everyone “gets up” for Massillon like you think.

I do agree with your second point, though: running power with a limited passing game will not get it done, as it has not in the past. Owens is the difference in this game. He needs to show out tomorrow night, and if he does, Massillon finally gets it done.

Nate Moore has a staff of FOOTBALL coaches who go to clinics, innovate and genuinely could go coach anywhere from middle school to the college level. Hoban coaches are good guys but probably could only coach at a place like Hoban (Tyrell excluded). Now to be fair, I more or less felt the same way last week versus Avon. But the difference is that Nate Moore believes he can win, where Elder didn’t think he could.
Well let’s hope Hoban’s coaching staff attended a few clinics this past year for their sake…

Status
Not open for further replies.