2022-2023 Three Rivers Conference thread

Lack of size hurt Miami East a lot tonight...#44 for Preble Shawnee probably should have scored 25-30 points sans missing a handful of layups.

For a big chunk of this game Roeth and Shrout struggled to score while Enis kept East afloat while also being the main reason Shrout was not scoring. Draw your own conclusions.
Awful game to watch! Officiating both ways was atrocious and the kids reacted emotionally to every single call/no-call. That said, Enis was the best player on the floor and if Shrout is a D1 kid, than Enis can definitely guard at that level.

I clearly don't know anything about the issues within the ME program, but I saw nothing that led me to believe that was daddy ball. ME has two players and they both got their chances but rarely were they open chances because PS didn't even guard some of their other kids and focused on those two.

Awful game to watch! Officiating both ways was atrocious and the kids reacted emotionally to every single call/no-call. That said, Enis was the best player on the floor and if Shrout is a D1 kid, than Enis can definitely guard at that level.

I clearly don't know anything about the issues within the ME program, but I saw nothing that led me to believe that was daddy ball. ME has two players and they both got their chances but rarely were they open chances because PS didn't even guard some of their other kids and focused on those two.
Enis guarded Shrout very well. And I do think Enis is a D1 caliber player, but you can tell his emotions were all over the place. Complaining to the refs I believe led to a lot of no calls ( and some calls). When I watched other games Roeth was the player I was worried about TBH , but Enis clearly was the man for ME. Great season for ME and I expect to play them again next season.

Enis guarded Shrout very well. And I do think Enis is a D1 caliber player, but you can tell his emotions were all over the place. Complaining to the refs I believe led to a lot of no calls ( and some calls). When I watched other games Roeth was the player I was worried about TBH , but Enis clearly was the man for ME. Great season for ME and I expect to play them again next season.
I thought Enis was pretty composed considering the beating he was taking. Of the "big guys" in the game I thought Shrout was the most emotional reactor. But clearly those two were getting hammered at times with no calls.

Would agree with you about Enis being emotional. The tech he received was a horrible call and his reactions throughout the game probably led to a lot of missed calls on contact he received. He did show he is capable of playing D1 with how he shutdown Shrout. Shrout was an emotional mess though. Did not expect him to react so poorly to the refs. If he can control his emotions against Harvest Prep I think he will take advantage of there aggressive defense. Expect a rematch between these teams next year in regionals since both return a lot.

Would agree with you about Enis being emotional. The tech he received was a horrible call and his reactions throughout the game probably led to a lot of missed calls on contact he received. He did show he is capable of playing D1 with how he shutdown Shrout. Shrout was an emotional mess though. Did not expect him to react so poorly to the refs. If he can control his emotions against Harvest Prep I think he will take advantage of there aggressive defense. Expect a rematch between these teams next year in regionals since both return a lot.
I'd Like to see maybe a Flying to the Hoop matchup. Might make a fun atmosphere, same arena, same teams.

Seemed to have one ref calling just about everything while the other two let just about anything go IMO. I thought Shrout looked like an emotional mess at times. Perhaps a combination of both officiating and reaching a new level in the tournament? He's going to have to be a lot better against Harvest Prep IMO for Preble Shawnee to advance.

For all of the tumult there seems to be within the program, Miami East has progressively gone in the right direction. Barring some type of exodus they should be in the regional again next year. Last night highlighted one major weakness with this group (size). They are a credible 6'5 post player short of being a serious final four contender.

Seemed to have one ref calling just about everything while the other two let just about anything go IMO. I thought Shrout looked like an emotional mess at times. Perhaps a combination of both officiating and reaching a new level in the tournament? He's going to have to be a lot better against Harvest Prep IMO for Preble Shawnee to advance.

For all of the tumult there seems to be within the program, Miami East has progressively gone in the right direction. Barring some type of exodus they should be in the regional again next year. Last night highlighted one major weakness with this group (size). They are a credible 6'5 post player short of being a serious final four contender.
Agree with all of this.....wonder how different the game is if it is officiated well and PS big picks up more of the fouls he clearly committed. ME had no answer for him.

Agree with all of this.....wonder how different the game is if it is officiated well and PS big picks up more of the fouls he clearly committed. ME had no answer for him.
I'm not saying the Refs were perfect by any means, but the calls went both ways. ME chose to double Shrout, they left 44 open by doing that.

I'm not saying the Refs were perfect by any means, but the calls went both ways. ME chose to double Shrout, they left 44 open by doing that.
Don't disagree at all, Shrout got hammered quite a few times and no call. 44 was such a big impact on both ends, I was just saying maybe the game is different if he gets called for some of the obvious fouls since he was what ME had no answer for. Game would have been different as well if fouls against Shrout get called and he gets to the line more.

Don't disagree at all, Shrout got hammered quite a few times and no call. 44 was such a big impact on both ends, I was just saying maybe the game is different if he gets called for some of the obvious fouls since he was what ME had no answer for. Game would have been different as well if fouls against Shrout get called and he gets to the line more.
If Shrout got all the calls he deserved this season he would have 900 points. He never gets calls in League play for some reason. But either way, im excited for both teams bringing back so much next season. Im certain we meet again

We saw the same shortcoming with TC vs Russia. I sat with the Jackson Center coaches and they were surprised as tight as Russia was guarding the perimeter TC got very little done inside.

Late in the 4th quarter the one TC kid with good size stepped out and hit a three. They wondered if TC had tried that early in the game if they could have forced Russia to empty the key and open up an opportunity for drives to the basket? Until you have a post player who can seal and execute, you give up the ability to score inside as help side defense can come out 10-15 ft from the basket. It is pretty easy to see how Lehman got within a point in both games this year, with their one dominant post player in the league.

Just looked to see where Parker Penrod is on pts for his career. He has a very good chance of making it to 1,000, and an outside chance at 1,500. He has 953 pts after three varsity seasons.

Alex Free leads the TRC in field goal percentage (almost 70%) and is second behind Roeth in assist at 5.0 per game.

Enis leads in scoring by a wide margin.

Defensive side goes to Chapman if Lehman with over 11 rebounds per game to go with his 12 or so points. Is he the first to average a double double in the TRC? I will check Brumbaugh from last year to see what his numbers were. Just checked, Brumbaugh was not close to a double double but Cooper Brown was just shy on the rebounds last year. Chapman also averaged a double double last year. Pretty good career.

Who had the good JV teams this year?

Not sure Enis needed the extra help. Miami East definitely should have adjusted during the game to doubling the post
Miami East is not Daddy Ball. Enis is better and don't at least two players need to score?
You agree Enis is better. Who do they run their offense through? Not him. Roeth is the number one option. What is the coaches last name at Miami East?

Not sure Enis needed the extra help. Miami East definitely should have adjusted during the game to doubling the post

You agree Enis is better. Who do they run their offense through? Not him. Roeth is the number one option. What is the coaches last name at Miami East?
Not goanna get into it like the Miami East Thread a week ago. Enis did take 60 more shots on the year and last night led the team in shots and really struggled. Need at least two guys to score having four guys balanced always sounds better.

Not goanna get into it like the Miami East Thread a week ago. Enis did take 60 more shots on the year and last night led the team in shots and really struggled. Need at least two guys to score having four guys balanced always sounds better.
No clue about the Miami East thread but just cause a player gets more shots is not an indicator of who the offense is run through. The five or so games of Miami East I have seen this year and roughly same number last season the offensive sets are usually for Roeth where Enis gets his shots from the play breaking down, steals or transition. Agree with you that four or more guys that can score is better than one or two. It would be interesting to see how a coach would structure the offense for Miami East.

Do you believe Roeth could come close to scoring his points if he played the role of Enis?

Could Enis distribute, identify the defense and pass with the same authority as Roeth?

I say no way to both of those. This is D3 high school basketball, and you have to use a player where he may benefit the team the most. I feel even if Roeths last name was Miller he would be the best option at running the offense as that at least gives East two great options for offense. Enis can go get his points while Roeth requires structure. I believe Roeth knows the game better, but is not the athlete Enis is, not close. But this argument is much like some AAU teams who are loaded with point guards, shooting guards and then a massive post player who thinks he is supposed to step out to take the three just because he can make it 40 % of the time. Well guess what, when he steps outside, no one else can score inside and the defense just got easier to defend the perimeter.

Roeth and Enis are unique tools, and sometimes I need my screwdriver to be a chisle even though I have better options.

Do you believe Roeth could come close to scoring his points if he played the role of Enis?

Could Enis distribute, identify the defense and pass with the same authority as Roeth?

I say no way to both of those. This is D3 high school basketball, and you have to use a player where he may benefit the team the most. I feel even if Roeths last name was Miller he would be the best option at running the offense as that at least gives East two great options for offense. Enis can go get his points while Roeth requires structure. I believe Roeth knows the game better, but is not the athlete Enis is, not close. But this argument is much like some AAU teams who are loaded with point guards, shooting guards and then a massive post player who thinks he is supposed to step out to take the three just because he can make it 40 % of the time. Well guess what, when he steps outside, no one else can score inside and the defense just got easier to defend the perimeter.

Roeth and Enis are unique tools, and sometimes I need my screwdriver to be a chisle even though I have better options.
Roeth and Enis are both good high school players. Enis is possibly a D1 college talent while is Roeth D3 at best. Miami East is really good team regardless how they play due to both of these guys being better than the competition most nights.

Roeth and Enis are both good high school players. Enis is possibly a D1 college talent while is Roeth D3 at best. Miami East is really good team regardless how they play due to both of these guys being better than the competition most nights.
I have seen all the kids that played the other night many times, I don't think any of them are D1 kids. I know Shrout has some D1 offers, and may take one, but I don't see any of them impacting a D1 team. Both Shrout and Enis could have great careers at a D2 and Roeth could be a solid D3 contributor.

I have seen all the kids that played the other night many times, I don't think any of them are D1 kids. I know Shrout has some D1 offers, and may take one, but I don't see any of them impacting a D1 team. Both Shrout and Enis could have great careers at a D2 and Roeth could be a solid D3 contributor.
Put the pipe down. It was 1 game. Both are solid D1 players. When they play in college they wont have to carry a team. They will play a roll and I think both will be fine.

If the go D1 they will not see significant minutes until Junior/Senior year. At best neither are either Ahrens boys from Versailles. They will play Small D1.

Put the pipe down. It was 1 game. Both are solid D1 players. When they play in college they wont have to carry a team. They will play a roll and I think both will be fine.
I've watched both probably 50 times over the years, one is a 6'1-ish wing at the next level and most everyone at that level has the same body as him, but they are 6'6.

The other has the height but will need considerable work on his body, which is not out of the ordinary for a HS kid. Watch the MAC tnmt this week and see how good those kids are. It's a huge jump to D1.

Getting a D1 offer is an unreal accomplishment, when I say D1 kid I am meaning a significant contributor to a D1 program.

Daddy ball? The coach's son took the seventh most field goal attempts on the team. That's a pretty wide definition of daddy ball you've got there.
The percentage of youth coaches that play daddy ball has led to everyone who coaches their kids in HS being accused of it. Enis took 60 more shots this season and Roeth led the conference in assists, any accusation of on-the-court daddy ball is dumb. Now some of the off-the-court stuff discussed in the deleted thread could be a real thing.

The percentage of youth coaches that play daddy ball has led to everyone who coaches their kids in HS being accused of it. Enis took 60 more shots this season and Roeth led the conference in assists, any accusation of on-the-court daddy ball is dumb. Now some of the off-the-court stuff discussed in the deleted thread could be a real thing.
Statistics especially in high school can be misleading. I saw where a high school team was supposedly assisting on 33 of 36 shots.

Statistics especially in high school can be misleading. I saw where a high school team was supposedly assisting on 33 of 36 shots.
Don't disagree at all, I've seen more assists than made shots before. In this case, for me at least, the statistics support what my eyes tell me.

I've watched both probably 50 times over the years, one is a 6'1-ish wing at the next level and most everyone at that level has the same body as him, but they are 6'6.

The other has the height but will need considerable work on his body, which is not out of the ordinary for a HS kid. Watch the MAC tnmt this week and see how good those kids are. It's a huge jump to D1.

Getting a D1 offer is an unreal accomplishment, when I say D1 kid I am meaning a significant contributor to a D1 program.
Am I off by stating I have not seen Enis play as well as the D2 kid from Bethel in Patrick Bain?

There are reasons why Bain did not get that top level offer and most of it was size and position played at that size. If he had been a point guard, with similar skills relative to other players he would have gone mid to upper D1. I think Bain had one or two small D1 offers, and I remember his dad telling me " he would rather be a big fish in D2 than a small fish in D1".

The other major factor was at D2 his dad could attend basically every game. D1 travels way too much for the average parent to afford to follow in attendance.

Am I off by stating I have not seen Enis play as well as the D2 kid from Bethel in Patrick Bain?

There are reasons why Bain did not get that top level offer and most of it was size and position played at that size. If he had been a point guard, with similar skills relative to other players he would have gone mid to upper D1. I think Bain had one or two small D1 offers, and I remember his dad telling me " he would rather be a big fish in D2 than a small fish in D1".

The other major factor was at D2 his dad could attend basically every game. D1 travels way too much for the average parent to afford to follow in attendance.
Really good comparison!