WCAL 2022-23

Let's see if Chippewa has turned the corner or if it's another mirage. They went toe-to-toe with Norwayne in a hostile environment and came up just short. Then they had a very impressive win against Toledo Christian on Sunday at the Berkey Classic. In both games they were without one of their starters in Logan Toler. They seem to all have bought into their roles now and playing as a team. Tuesday will be a good litmus test. Chippewa has never beaten Waynedale during DJ Schrock's tenure.

Let's see if Chippewa has turned the corner or if it's another mirage. They went toe-to-toe with Norwayne in a hostile environment and came up just short. Then they had a very impressive win against Toledo Christian on Sunday at the Berkey Classic. In both games they were without one of their starters in Logan Toler. They seem to all have bought into their roles now and playing as a team. Tuesday will be a good litmus test. Chippewa has never beaten Waynedale during DJ Schrock's tenure.
Never beat Waynedale?!?! geez. again #inconsistent

I would never have guessed that Chippewa has never beat Waynedale. If that is the case, that absolutely needs to happen tonight with Chippewa holding a huge advantage talent wise. If Chippewa can put it together, they should be eyeing up games against Dalton and Smithville the next couple of weeks as opportunities to get quality wins as well.

Agreed. Smithville is playing great right now. They hung with a very tough Emmanuel Christian team at the Berkey Classic and almost pulled off the huge upset. Quinn Maibach is hurt right now, but Colt Zollinger is back. Either way Kauffman has this group playing great defense. Norwayne hasn't won at Smithville since the 2018/2019 season.
Smithville was pretty impressive against Emmanuel Christian this weekend, but they faltered down the stretch. They fell apart down the stretch at Dalton a couple weeks ago too. I think they can play with Norwayne, but that blowout from a few weeks ago will have Norwayne kids playing with a lot of confidence. It is important for Smithville to get off to a good start.

Smithville knocks off Norwayne, 53-47.

Smithville / Norwayne video:

Waynedale tops Chippewa, 52-49.

Last edited:
On a different note, did I hear Breck correctly on the radio say multiple times that Smithville is 52% as a team from the free throw line this season?

And that their big guy, Quinn Maibach, was out tonight after stepping on a basketball in the layup line during pregame?

Last edited:
Smithville big win tonight over Norwayne. That first quarter run was huge. They were disrupting Norwayne's offense very well and made enough shots to stay ahead. Very impressive game from Kaufman

On a different note, did I hear Breck correctly on the radio say multiple times that Smithville is 52% as a team from the free throw line this season?

And that their big guy, Quinn Maibach, was out tonight after stepping on a basketball in the layup line during pregame?
I did hear that comment about the free throw shooting. That is hard to believe. 52% as a team! They went 7-31 in a game earlier this season. Not sure I ever remember hearing about a team going 7-31 from the line before.
Smithville big win tonight over Norwayne. That first quarter run was huge. They were disrupting Norwayne's offense very well and made enough shots to stay ahead. Very impressive game from Kaufman
Smithville seems to stun most of their opponents with their physical play on the defensive end to start most games. The same thing happened against Emmanuel Christian over the weekend. Then they wear down as the game goes on. They did not have enough to finish off Emmanuel Christian. They made enough plays to beat Norwayne.

Once again, Ethan Hann sparked the Norwayne comeback with 9 straight points in the 3rd quarter. He is 100% Norwayne's go to guy. Whenever they have been in trouble in games this year, the ball is in his hands and he is the one making plays. I know the Norwayne faithful and program seem to be pushing Justin Rupp for the biggest accolades and awards this season, but Hann is at least as valuable to that team if not more. This is not an indictment against Justin Rupp. He is a really good player who helps in many areas. This is more of an appreciation for just how good Ethan Hann is. Norwayne would have at least 4 more losses this year if not for Hann's 2nd half heroics. Smithville wins that game by 25 last night if he is not on the court. Hann also guards the other team's best offensive guard most games as well.

It is true about Quinn Maibach. It happened during warmups prior to the Emmanuel Christian game. Hopefully he can get healed up quickly and back for his team.

I did hear that comment about the free throw shooting. That is hard to believe. 52% as a team! They went 7-31 in a game earlier this season. Not sure I ever remember hearing about a team going 7-31 from the line before.

Smithville seems to stun most of their opponents with their physical play on the defensive end to start most games. The same thing happened against Emmanuel Christian over the weekend. Then they wear down as the game goes on. They did not have enough to finish off Emmanuel Christian. They made enough plays to beat Norwayne.

Once again, Ethan Hann sparked the Norwayne comeback with 9 straight points in the 3rd quarter. He is 100% Norwayne's go to guy. Whenever they have been in trouble in games this year, the ball is in his hands and he is the one making plays. I know the Norwayne faithful and program seem to be pushing Justin Rupp for the biggest accolades and awards this season, but Hann is at least as valuable to that team if not more. This is not an indictment against Justin Rupp. He is a really good player who helps in many areas. This is more of an appreciation for just how good Ethan Hann is. Norwayne would have at least 4 more losses this year if not for Hann's 2nd half heroics. Smithville wins that game by 25 last night if he is not on the court. Hann also guards the other team's best offensive guard most games as well.
Hann is a fierce competitor who plays with an edge. I agree without him Norwayne is a completely different team.

Who is 32 from Norwayne? that kid whines more to refs than any other player i have seen. Just play ball and move on

Both junior high championship games will be played tomorrow at Smithville. Both games are Norwayne vs Smithville. I see a complete free for all in the WCAL next year as teams reorganize after losing many big, talented senior classes. The league will be completely up for grabs next year. After that, I see the league being Norwayne and Smithville at the top with a noticeable gap between those two and the rest of the league for a prolonged period of time. WCAL fans have surely reveled in the reality that the best teams in the league were the best teams in the entire county the last few years (including this year). That might be coming to an end as well as Triway and Orrville both have really good 8th grade classes that will help their talent level at the varsity level sooner rather than later.

Not if Orrville doesn't get rid of this Head coach, if he stays Orrville will suck.
While I think that Orrville can get a much better coach than what they have now, the pool of applicants would not be nearly as long as it would have been in years past. Orrville has come back to the rest of the county pack talent wise. You are just as likely to find a top tier athlete at Northwestern, Dalton, Norwayne, etc these days as you are to find an elite athlete at Orrville. It did not used to be like that.

Both junior high championship games will be played tomorrow at Smithville. Both games are Norwayne vs Smithville. I see a complete free for all in the WCAL next year as teams reorganize after losing many big, talented senior classes. The league will be completely up for grabs next year. After that, I see the league being Norwayne and Smithville at the top with a noticeable gap between those two and the rest of the league for a prolonged period of time. WCAL fans have surely reveled in the reality that the best teams in the league were the best teams in the entire county the last few years (including this year). That might be coming to an end as well as Triway and Orrville both have really good 8th grade classes that will help their talent level at the varsity level sooner rather than later.
I will say that Dalton's 8th grade class is pretty decent at basketball. Dalton lost to Smithville twice by a combined 9 points and one was in overtime. We beat Smithville by 11 the first time we played. We also made Norwayne sweat both times we played them. Losing by 1 and the other game going to the 4th quarter losing by 5. We just kind of had a Dr. Jacklye and Mister Hyde type of season. I will also say I stop putting much stock in Jr. High sports because some kids might hit growth spurts/puberty before other kids.

I will say that Dalton's 8th grade class is pretty decent at basketball. Dalton lost to Smithville twice by a combined 9 points and one was in overtime. We beat Smithville by 11 the first time we played. We also made Norwayne sweat both times we played them. Losing by 1 and the other game going to the 4th quarter losing by 5. We just kind of had a Dr. Jacklye and Mister Hyde type of season. I will also say I stop putting much stock in Jr. High sports because some kids might hit growth spurts/puberty before other kids.
I agree that Dalton's 8th graders are solid in basketball. They remind me of the current junior class at Dalton when they were in middle school. The biggest problem with that class is they have two classes around them that are almost completely void of any decent basketball talent. Dalton will need to completely reinvent themselves strategy wise to stay competitive the next several years. Lots of low scoring, slow paced games will be the norm. That does not mean they cannot win. They just won't have the margin of error they have had the last several years.

You are right, this 2023 senior class is loaded and has to be one of the best ever. These are some impressive stars:
Norwayne - Justin Rupp - (1000-point scorer) Ethan Hahn
Smithville - Carter Piatt (1000-point scorer)
Northwestern - Brett Alberts (1000-point scorer)
Chippewa - Caleb Gasser (1000-point scorer)
Dalton - Braylon Wenger (Has he gotten 1000 yet?) Got to be close if not. Jack Steiner
Waynedale - Trey Barkman (I believe he is close to 1000 as well)
Hillsdale - Nick Kandel
Triway - Zach Miller (1000-point scorer)

Not to mention several really outstanding senior players who will be graduating as well.

Based on the D3 tournament draw, it looks like Chippewa wanted a 3rd shot against Norwayne. That should be a hard fought district semifinal if it comes to fruition.

Sounds like Wenger is really close I'm sure you'll see it on social media real soon. Congrats to him after the huge adversity hes been through.

You are right, this 2023 senior class is loaded and has to be one of the best ever. These are some impressive stars:
Dalton - Braylon Wenger (Has he gotten 1000 yet?) Got to be close if not. Jack Steiner
Hillsdale - Nick Kandel

Not to mention several really outstanding senior players who will be graduating as well.
Wenger is at 999 points so he will get to 1000 his next game. It would be interesting to know how close Barkman and Kandel are. Kandel has dealt with some unfortunate injuries but he's still been playing varsity since he was a freshman.

Hillsdale - Nick Kandel

Yep, great seniors are lost every year, but this year is the deepest in recent memory. The league overall will not be nearly as strong next year and much more wide open.

Yep, great seniors are lost every year, but this year is the deepest in recent memory. The league overall will not be nearly as strong next year and much more wide open.
You've been around a long long time & have seen a lot so who you got next year?

Atmosphere should be incredible in Dalton on Friday. Game should be very interesting too. I see MVP candidate Ethan Hann had 18 4th quarter points the other night to help Norwayne get a nice win over University School. Will Dalton be able to slow him down late in the game if the game is close? Will they have Braylon Wenger guard him late in the game? If so, who guards Justin Rupp in the 4th quarter? Norwayne has already clinched their first WCAL title in 9 years, but they surely want to win it outright. Dalton is going for their 4th consecutive league title. Has that ever been done in the WCAL? I found records back into the 70s and nobody has done it since then. Maybe Roy Bates' Northwestern teams? If Dalton and Smithville win on Friday, then Smithville gets a share of the title as well. I am assuming that would be the Smithies first WCAL title since Michael Snowbarger was coaching them. Tons of interesting storylines and drama heading into this one. I would definitely expect a huge crowd.

Atmosphere should be incredible in Dalton on Friday. Game should be very interesting too. I see MVP candidate Ethan Hann had 18 4th quarter points the other night to help Norwayne get a nice win over University School. Will Dalton be able to slow him down late in the game if the game is close? Will they have Braylon Wenger guard him late in the game? If so, who guards Justin Rupp in the 4th quarter? Norwayne has already clinched their first WCAL title in 9 years, but they surely want to win it outright. Dalton is going for their 4th consecutive league title. Has that ever been done in the WCAL? I found records back into the 70s and nobody has done it since then. Maybe Roy Bates' Northwestern teams? If Dalton and Smithville win on Friday, then Smithville gets a share of the title as well. I am assuming that would be the Smithies first WCAL title since Michael Snowbarger was coaching them. Tons of interesting storylines and drama heading into this one. I would definitely expect a huge crowd.
I would like to go to that game. hopefully i can get a ticket

Ethan Hann is just insane when it comes to clutch time .