State wrestling tournament schedule details

The change to all awards at the end is not because of the females. It is something that has been discussed before, and is due to the amount of disruptions in the wrestling programs that the awards breaks cause. With the previous structure, there was an awards break after the 12th match of the evening; said awards break length was more than or equal to the real time of the last two weight classes finals bouts. Given that reality, those that came from say Toledo or Cleveland to watch the event without a stakeholder in the last two bouts had a great incentive to leave before then - they get a 30-minute (or slightly greater) head start on their way home.

Any chance Ohio raises the bar in the future and possibly holds 3 or 4 tournaments in conjunction with the OHSWCA? The 3/4 tournaments:1 current classed(divisions) individual tournament; 2 single class (all divisions together) individual tournament; 3 classed (divisions) team duals; 4 least likely single class (all divisions together) team duals. I'd love to see an individual tournament with St Ed's, Graham, and etc battling to be the lone champ at their weight class.

Any chance Ohio raises the bar in the future and possibly holds 3 or 4 tournaments in conjunction with the OHSWCA? The 3/4 tournaments:1 current classed(divisions) individual tournament; 2 single class (all divisions together) individual tournament; 3 classed (divisions) team duals; 4 least likely single class (all divisions together) team duals. I'd love to see an individual tournament with St Ed's, Graham, and etc battling to be the lone champ at their weight class.
The coaches just voted to shorten the season so there is no place to add more events.
The rumor is that it was close to being shorten two weeks instead of one week so I doubt most coaches want to make it longer again.

The change to all awards at the end is not because of the females. It is something that has been discussed before, and is due to the amount of disruptions in the wrestling programs that the awards breaks cause. With the previous structure, there was an awards break after the 12th match of the evening; said awards break length was more than or equal to the real time of the last two weight classes finals bouts. Given that reality, those that came from say Toledo or Cleveland to watch the event without a stakeholder in the last two bouts had a great incentive to leave before then - they get a 30-minute (or slightly greater) head start on their way home.
New change in the rules. Top 8 Heavy Weight Wrestlers to get their awards must also sweep up and turn out the lights before they leave Sunday night / Monday morning.

wade schalles most recent blog was very interesting. It talked about how the introduction of womens gymnastics to the NCAA level was absolutely devastating to the mens gymnastics programs. It was thought that the addition of womens was going to be a good thing for the sport but ended up the exact opposite for the men. Its an interesting read

That is a change that I do think would be nice for the State Finals. Do a random draw for the order of weights.

I am not totally against this. But if you are going to do this at state, you need to be doing it at in-season tournaments all year. These wrestlers get used to wresting tournament finals in order and that's a big part of pre match routine.

All of our duals this year have been random draw start.

I am not totally against this. But if you are going to do this at state, you need to be doing it at in-season tournaments all year. These wrestlers get used to wresting tournament finals in order and that's a big part of pre match routine.

I am perfectly fine with that. As for the state finals, I would even be ok if the did the draw the week leading up to it (needs to be done in someway that people can observe) so the everyone knows going into the weekend exactly what order finals will be.

Unless you're in the Suburban League. A number of years back a couple of coaches petitioned the State to NOT have a draw (even though it was mandated). Guess what? It was granted. Funny thing was the officials were never made aware. Cause for a bit of controversy. Just depends on who you are. LOL

I like the awards being moved to the end. Lets the big boys have an arena full of people to watch them.

I say we start a fundraiser and donate the cost to bring back the stage!
Keith, Totally with you on the stage. It seems worth whatever the cost- heck, raise ticket prices by $3. I've been to a number of state tournaments in other states, and the elevated state really makes the Ohio tournament special.

I am torn on the awards. On one hand, the podium in between matches certainly slowed down the evening for the fans, however what a great moment for the wrestlers and families to hear their name announced in front of 18k people. Wonder if there is a way to do it like Fargo where the place winners come out onto the mat to be recognized immediately after the finals match, then do the podium ceremony later back stage.

Attachments

• 1673449886453.png
    1673449886453.png
    851.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Keith, Totally with you on the stage. It seems worth whatever the cost- heck, raise ticket prices by $3. I've been to a number of state tournaments in other states, and the elevated state really makes the Ohio tournament special.

I am torn on the awards. On one hand, the podium in between matches certainly slowed down the evening for the fans, however what a great moment for the wrestlers, and families to hear their name announced in front of 18k people. Wonder if there is a way to do it like Fargo where the place winners come out onto the mat to be recognized immediately after the finals match, then do the podium ceremony later back stage.
It's horrible imo They have the money. See my budget post.

I did not realize a raised platform was so important. We never had one in the 90s so I guess I don't know when it became such an important part of the tournament. Does a championship at Wright State in the 90s not mean as much since they did not wrestle 4' of the ground?

YES, that's 100% correct. State titles won on an elevated stage obviously mean a little more. ;)

We didn't have Netflix in the 90's either, but life is better with it!

Last edited:
YES, that's 100% correct. State titles won on an elevated stage obviously mean a little more. ;)
And it’s important to present podium awards after all is completed because of the added podium time for the girls.
Figure this will add another 30 mins to awards ceremony by giving the girls their participation awards.

If you ever had wrestling practice in a high school cafeteria, any place for the State Tournament is an improvement.
Roll off the mat and get a rogue tater tot with ketchup stuck to your face.
Seriously though, if they can’t do the raised mats platform “stage” for time or liability reasons, then think of doing something special for the kids to replace it. Perhaps have the finalists stand on a mobile platform with stairs, railing and scuff free casters on center mat for introductions prior to their match. Would add maybe an hour at most to Championship finals session.
Firestonefan can build those and can sell advertising space on the platforms to cover expenses.

Last edited: