D IV State Semi-Final: Jefferson Area (11-3) vs Glenville (13-0) @ Perry Perry. “Hoosiers”. In real life.

Who wins?

• Glenville by 17+

Votes: 89 74.2%
  • Glenville by 8-16

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Glenville by 1-7

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Jefferson Area by 1-7

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Jefferson Area by 8-16

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jefferson Area by 17+

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, I guess I’d prefer Wyoming. Heck, I’d love to see Jefferson win, but I just think that’s remotely possible. I’ll settle for Wyoming. I don’t even dislike Glenville. I rooted for them when they were D1. But in D4, it’s almost unfair.

I think you don’t get that Van Wert, West Holmes and maybe Perkins beats Wyoming, Jefferson Area, and Steubenville. It’s a shame that the best teams in Ohio happened to be in the same region.
Perkins probably wouldn’t beat Wyoming and Steubenville, but they would running clock Jefferson.

Oh, and as to how it makes me feel to predict an outcome of a game in that game’s thread — appropriate and accurate. I do agree that running clock is a super easy pick.

I don’t reckon this is the only say nice things about Jefferson thread. It’s the Glenville-Jefferson thread. Seems a little silly people can’t predict the obvious but instead have to live in some fantasyland became it’s be nice to Jeff week.
It's a game between Jefferson and Glenville. I don't take issue with anybody predicting a score, no matter how harsh, sweet, true or untrue it turns out to be. I just find it annoying that you mention other teams that would be better competition than one of the schools in the game, including your own team. And no, annoying me is not a crime. There's a zero percent chance anybody else plays against Glenville this week. I'm only suggesting you talk about the two teams playing in this game, and try not to make everything about your own team, lest you want to be more like Simkon.

Perkins probably wouldn’t beat Wyoming and Steubenville, but they would running clock Jefferson.
Think we get it , you think Jefferson sucks , been coming out of your mouth for about 12 hours straight. Glenville might running clock them, just as they would Canfield. Everyone said they would lose to canton south and west branch , all of you were wrong, now all of those teams suck too. Got it bud, now move along to the Canfield thread instead of regurgitating your same talking points over and over.

It's a game between Jefferson and Glenville. I don't take issue with anybody predicting a score, no matter how harsh, sweet, true or untrue it turns out to be. I just find it annoying that you mention other teams that would be better competition than one of the schools in the game, including your own team. And no, annoying me is not a crime. There's a zero percent chance anybody else plays against Glenville this week. I'm only suggesting you talk about the two teams playing in this game, and try not to make everything about your own team, lest you want to be more like Simkon.

Well, part of the way I look at this game is who you’ve beat and who you lost to. If it makes you happy, my apologies for including SR in the analysis.

I haven’t a clue how you’ll reach your prediction, but, again, I’ll look at who Glenville beat OoC and in playoffs, and who beat Jefferson (except one team), and how Jefferson made it out of R13.

It all leads to the obvious conclusion. I won’t post again on this thread until after the game is over. There’s really not much need for analysis. The prediction should be obvious. Glenville would running clock a ton of teams. And Jefferson is definitely one of them.

Jefferson is a one man show... However he is a stud and single handily beat West Branch last night by himself. He is a great athlete and they exploited our weakness on defense ... the linebackers... That Being said Glenville has a Linebacker that is single handily better then all 3 or West Branches linebackers combined. Arvell Reese will probably spy Hitchcock all night and try to make Jefferon throw which in not there strong suit. Jefferson will come ready to go and prepared I just don't think it will be enough... Glenville Rolls to the State Final

There's a zero percent chance anybody else plays against Glenville this week. I'm only suggesting you talk about the two teams playing in this game, and try not to make everything about your own team, lest you want to be more like Simkon.
I will talk about the two teams then... Glenville is really good. Jefferson is the worst team left in the playoffs due to dumb luck of being in a region where no one is very good and therefore some team from region 13 has to get slaughtered by Glenville.

Think we get it , you think Jefferson sucks , been coming out of your mouth for about 12 hours straight. Glenville might running clock them, just as they would Canfield. Everyone said they would lose to canton south and west branch , all of you were wrong, now all of those teams suck too. Got it bud, now move along to the Canfield thread instead of regurgitating your same talking points over and over.
And I never said they would lose to Canton South, in fact I didn't make any remarks or predictions on that game whatsoever. And Canfield is not very good either, but at least I am willing to admit that they are not playing at the level required to win D-III in recent years. And as far as the West Branch game I didn't predict a blowout either, I said something like West Branch by a single score because I recognized the fact the Warriors defense has been increasingly suspect as the season has gone on.

Teams start playing over their heads. Eventually, it seems that they are no longer playing over their heads.

I picked Glenville in this game to win by 1-7. There have been way too many teams in high school sports like this over the years. I certainly wouldn't count out Jefferson.

Get rid of the regions. Problem solved.
No it’s not. In a weak region, a couple mediocre teams can still run up big points by seasons end. Are you going to have Jefferson go down and play Wyoming in round one. Or vice versa. You have to beat the best to be the best. Whether it’s in round 1 or 2 or the state final.

Region 13 had to deal with both Ursuline and Glenville last year. A little relief was welcomed. Still wasn’t as weak as region 14 last year. Bellevue won region 14 last year and lost to 16th seed 6-6 Edison. Good grief.

Last edited:
As a Jefferson alum(and one time volunteer coach almost 20 years ago), I want to apologize for them being in this game. Had they known it would have upset so many people, I’m sure they would’ve lost already. I mean it’s pretty damn presumptuous of them to think they had any business beating Poland, Girard, Canton South and West Branch.

Did they not look at the state rankings and message board predictions? As a team from Trashtabula County they better learn their place. Hopefully no mixups like this will happen when they join tve CVC.

Are they not aware of the exact science of the transitive property in sports? They lost to someone who beat someone not as bad as another team beat them. We have these things on paper for a reason.

Next time we will be better, or I mean worse.

In summary, sorry for beating teams from Trumbull and Mahoning County.

I mean it’s pretty damn presumptuous of them to think they had any business beating Poland, Girard, Canton South and West Branch.
I have no problem with them beating those teams and actually expected them to beat Poland (who was not vety good this year) and Girard (who's star QB was out) in the playoffs. And wasn't terribly surprised by them winning the region, being as West Branch's defense is a complete joke without DeShields and the others who didn't play defense late in the season. Just stating facts is all, Canfield was not very good for the majority of the season, West Branch got perpetually worse as the season went on (on defense), Jefferson did get better as the season went on but still isn't very good compared to the other regional champions in D-IV. I probably wouldn't say anything if there wasn't such a large disparity between them and the other regional champions or if they actually beat a good team at full strength along the way.

The title of the thread makes it lean one way with the referenced movie title, but, if you step away from fandom if either school, this game itself is a movie regardless if the outcome. When’s the last time a truly inner city school has been made it to this point in the playoffs? Say what you will but there’s usually a reason those teams don’t put it all together during the playoffs. I’m a “regular” year, the turnovers last week would have been Glenville’s doom. They pulled through.

You can call them a Goliath simply because they are talented, but it’s not like this is St Ed’s/X that all of a sudden is playing in D4.

And I am 100% on board with this being a once in a lifetime run for Jefferson. It is truly unreal.

They can make a movie about this game … regardless of who wins

The title of the thread makes it lean one way with the referenced movie title, but, if you step away from fandom if either school, this game itself is a movie regardless if the outcome. When’s the last time a truly inner city school has been made it to this point in the playoffs? Say what you will but there’s usually a reason those teams don’t put it all together during the playoffs. I’m a “regular” year, the turnovers last week would have been Glenville’s doom. They pulled through.

You can call them a Goliath simply because they are talented, but it’s not like this is St Ed’s/X that all of a sudden is playing in D4.

And I am 100% on board with this being a once in a lifetime run for Jefferson. It is truly unreal.

They can make a movie about this game … regardless of who wins
Have to go with Glenville in this one. I'll be rooting for Jeff though. Good luck, i know you will give it your best. Never say die form Tigertown. Go get em.

These are high school kids - Jefferson has earned their way into this game. It's pretty bad to say a team sucks. There are no bad teams left in the tournament. You do not make it to the final 4 in your division if you suck. There might be teams that are more talented then another - but non of the teams suck.

Teams do not pick their regions, divisions or playoff opponents. Jefferson and Glenville has knocked off every team placed in front of them in the playoffs.

My personal opinion is that if the weather is just cold but the field is dry - the Tarblooders are a tough out. It's hard to prepare for their size and speed until you see them. With no disrespect to Van Wert the weather was the cause of the turnovers. There are some teams that are better prepared for snow covered feilds - Glenville is not one of them. In fact I would be surprised if all the kids had the proper cleats. But you put them on a dry field and you have a completely different animal. Weather is the great equalizer.

That being said I don't think Jefferson has ever played against the level of athletes they will see Saturday. You can gameplan all you want - but it's hard to overcome this level of God made talent. Games are not played on paper though. No team is unbeatable and nothing is a guarantee - but Jefferson has a huge hill to climb.

The bigoted idiots can laugh all they want about Glenville. "They're not D4," "They recruit from all over Cleveland," "They're just a bunch of athletes," "They're not disciplined like those hard-working rural and small-town schools," "Ginn can't coach," or whatever other drivel they throw out. You don't get this far by being any of that. Glenville knows that they're gonna have to be disciplined, selfless, and locked-in if they want to beat Jefferson Saturday. No team is a pushover at this time of year

Honestly, there is a reason they play the games. Regardless of region, you just beat the opponents in front of you. Glenville clearly has the athletes, but they need to be disciplined. They were able to get past Van Wert due to talent, which they've shown all year, and if they do recruit, so what? Ginn is a great coach, and he has a talented squad. Those are the facts. Should Glenville move up to Division 3 next year, IMO, yes, but that is something to worry about at a later time.

As far as Jefferson goes, who are players to watch out for? Considering that they never won a playoff game in their HISTORY prior to this season, this is a special group of guys. I think they only have around 30 kids on their roster, and half are seniors? All it takes is a class to make a deep run, and it could be something that completely changes a program for the next few years. It's honestly cool to see an Ashtabula County team make a deep run in any postseason, no matter how you slice it. I think that Jefferson may be staring up at a giant, but that's what I thought when they played West Branch. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and the Falcons are playing with house money at this point. Whoever wins has a chance to get their FIRST STATE TITLE in history.

The bigoted idiots can laugh all they want about Glenville. "They're not D4," "They recruit from all over Cleveland," "They're just a bunch of athletes," "They're not disciplined like those hard-working rural and small-town schools," "Ginn can't coach," or whatever other drivel they throw out. You don't get this far by being any of that. Glenville knows that they're gonna have to be disciplined, selfless, and locked-in if they want to beat Jefferson Saturday. No team is a pushover at this time of year
You sound racist yourself by merely mentioning that someone must be bigoted if they point out that Glenville is not D4. Tell us where Arvell Reese came from??? You get this far in D4 by having a D-I roster. Ginn has never been a solid x/o coach. But a great recruiter of talent. The second portion of your post is correct." They recruit from all over Cleveland" AND EUCLID is also correct. I've watched the Glenville show up close for years now. Don't clown us with your insincerity and try to deflect with the threat of racism.
Happy Damon Wayans GIF by For(bes) The Culture

You sound racist yourself by merely mentioning that someone must be bigoted if they point out that Glenville is not D4. Tell us where Arvell Reese came from??? You get this far in D4 by having a D-I roster. Ginn has never been a solid x/o coach. But a great recruiter of talent. The second portion of your post is correct." They recruit from all over Cleveland" AND EUCLID is also correct. I've watched the Glenville show up close for years now. Don't clown us with your insincerity and try to deflect with the threat of racism.
Amazing to see on here posters deflect from
Glenville getting talent from all over for years and then you merely point that out as a reason they shouldn’t be D4 and posters explode on here. Funny how it took Ginn dropping all the way down to D4 to get another shot at a championship. Always been more Jimmies and Joes than X’s and O’s. When you have the Jimmie’s over most other opponents (especially in that conference) it doesn’t take a whole lot of coaching to get them far. All that talent throughout the years and before this year has only taken a team to the state semis 3 times and 2 runner ups to show for it.

SIMCON:
GET A DAMN LIFE ALREADY OR AT THE VERY LEAST SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP TO GET OVER YOUR ADDICTION OF JEFFERSON!
Seriously, this team just put together the greatest run in program history and you have spent the past 24 hours doing nothing but bad-mouthing their achievement. I think that everyone on Yappi knows by now that you believe they are "lucky" and "not good at all" and all of that. Other than embarrassing yourself mightily and coming across as the most bitter old man on planet Earth, seriously what is the point of your repetitiveness?

-Their enrollment says they're D4, bigot. You got a problem with that? Tough shrimp!!

-I don't care if Reese is from Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Tel Aviv, or Shanghai! He's with Glenville NOW. That's all that matters.

-Glenville does not have attendance boundaries. So what? Neither do Iggy, Eds, Hoban, St. V, Bennie, St. Joe's, Walsh, etc. Any student from any community can attend Glenville if they wish, including student-athletes. You got a problem with that as well? Tough shrimp!

-Does the Euclid City School District OWN the kids that live in their district or something? If so, then that's news to those kids and their parents/guardians. And, by the way, in case you didn't know, slavery is illegal. It has been ever since 1865 (13th Amendment to the Constitution). In other words, kids from Euclid and any other community are welcome to attend Glenville High if they wish. Go cry some more.

Last edited:
-Their enrollment says they're D4, bigot. You got a problem with that? Tough shrimp!!

-I don't CARE if Reese is from Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Tel Aviv, or Shanghai! He's with Glenville NOW. That's all that matters.

-Glenville does not have attendance boundaries. So what? Neither do Iggy, Eds, Hoban, St. V, Bennie, St. Joe's, Walsh, etc. Any student from any community can attend Glenville if they wish, including student-athletes. You got a problem with that as well? Tough shrimp!

-Does the Euclid City School District OWN the kids that live in their district or something? If so, then that's news to those kids and their parents/guardians. And, by the way, in case you didn't know, slavery is illegal. It has been ever since 1865 (13th Amendment to the Constitution). In other words, kids from Euclid and any other community are welcome to attend Glenville High if they wish. Go cry some more
Aren’t there competitive balance rules set by OHSAA that address these situations? This type of city wide recruiting should push them up a division or two. That’s how it works for the parochials. Open enrollment was designed to keep things more competitive but you have to live within the rules. And in this case, the rules may need to be adjusted.
competitive balance rules for gear situations? If not, they should

Let's talk about the game..

This is just a really tough matchup for Jefferson. It is tough to consistently run on Glenville. They are really fast and physical. Is the Jefferson OL up for the challenge? They will need to be because Glenville will put up points. I don't believe they punted once in their last game. They ran all over Van Wert. Hell, they had 5 drives end with a turnover and still found a way to score 40+. Jefferson will need to win in a shootout.

I really hope this is a great game. S/O to both team's for making it this far. But I do have a question? I already know somebody is going to make this something that is not but I generally want to ask. Why is it always "oh they recruit from all over Cleveland" or Ted Ginn can't coach X/O's but some praise Chuck Kyle for doing the same thing Ginn is doing? I understand teams like Cleveland St. Ignatius have a rich championship tradition but don't you think it's a little easier coaching a rich parochial School compared to coaching at a inner city school on the east side of Cleveland? Like I said I'm not trying to start no bull but I just want to generally know what somebody else's perspective is.