Week 14: Division III Region 9 Final #1 Chardon Hilltoppers (11-1) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (11-1)

Will Canfield finally break through against Chardon or will the Hilltoppers dominate again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

I think everyone is familiar with the history
Chardon defeated Kenston 10-7 meanwhile Canfield defeated Ursuline 33-25
Some people may have thought it would be Ursuline in Canfield's place, but the Cardinals proved many people including me wrong, I thought before the game Canfield would lose by a TD or less.
Will the Cardinals finally be able to knock off the Hilltoppers, or will Chardon's reign of dominance continue for yet another year?

Last edited:

I hear Chardon has multiple injuries going into next week. Had a stud D lineman get hurt? Will have to have an awesome game plan to win.

1. The winner of this game will more than likely be playing for a State Championship.

2. Hopefully the OHSAA does Chardon a favor and the game is played at Euclid, Solon, or Twinsburg, and not in the Youngstown area like last year at Girard and the Hilltopper’s game last night in Boardman.

3. This is not the Chardon teams of the past two seasons. Very young and a VERY small senior class with only 7 seniors who start. They are winning games with their defense and kicking game.

4. The previous two seasons Chardon has avoided injuries, turnovers, and penalties in the playoffs. That is NOT the case this post season. All three of those things have been prevalent. The Hilltoppers are banged up, but the kids are playing through it. There is one season ending injury in there. Penalties have been a HUGE issue the past two games with a young offensive line that starts 1 senior, 1 junior, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

5. I would not be shocked at all with a Canfield win. It seems the two teams are trending in two totally different directions the past two weeks.

6. Survive and advance is the name of the game and that was the epitome of their game against Kenston. The only positive is Chardon has a week to clean everything up and get this train headed in the right direction, which if any coaching staff in the State could do, it’s Coach Hewitt and his staff.

7. Fun Fact - Chardon’s two scrimmage opponents are playing next week in Regional Finals: Mentor against St. Ed’s in DI R1, and Hudson against Hoban in DII R5

1. The winner of this game will more than likely be playing for a State Championship.

2. Hopefully the OHSAA does Chardon a favor and the game is played at Euclid, Solon, or Twinsburg, and not in the Youngstown area like last year at Girard and the Hilltopper’s game last night in Boardman.

3. This is not the Chardon teams of the past two seasons. Very young and a VERY small senior class with only 7 seniors who start. They are winning games with their defense and kicking game.

4. The previous two seasons Chardon has avoided injuries, turnovers, and penalties in the playoffs. That is NOT the case this post season. All three of those things have been prevalent. The Hilltoppers are banged up, but the kids are playing through it. There is one season ending injury in there. Penalties have been a HUGE issue the past two games with a young offensive line that starts 1 senior, 1 junior, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

5. I would not be shocked at all with a Canfield win. It seems the two teams are trending in two totally different directions the past two weeks.

6. Survive and advance is the name of the game and that was the epitome of their game against Kenston. The only positive is Chardon has a week to clean everything up and get this train headed in the right direction, which if any coaching staff in the State could do, it’s Coach Hewitt and his staff.

7. Fun Fact - Chardon’s two scrimmage opponents are playing next week in Regional Finals: Mentor against St. Ed’s in DI R1, and Hudson against Hoban in DII R5
Heavy weight bout last night Topperbounce that could have went either way,great defense on Both teams.

I really don't know what to expect in this game to be perfectly honest. I am having a hard time figuring Chardon right now. I can't tell if Kenston really impoved as the season went on or Chardon has dropped off...

I really don't know what to expect in this game to be perfectly honest. I am having a hard time figuring Chardon right now. I can't tell if Kenston really impoved as the season went on or Chardon has dropped off...
A little of both

From what the schedule showed, Kenston barely got past teams like Eastlake North, Lake Catholic and Mayfield and didnt have too many blow out wins. Maybe the weather Friday night was truly the great equalizer between Chardon-Kenston? From what Ive read their QB was a multi year starter but not sure how many players are left from their State Champ team in '18. Either way it seems like they may have been the best 13 seed in any division, rankings cant be perfect.

From what the schedule showed, Kenston barely got past teams like Eastlake North, Lake Catholic and Mayfield and didnt have too many blow out wins. Maybe the weather Friday night was truly the great equalizer between Chardon-Kenston? From what Ive read their QB was a multi year starter but not sure how many players are left from their State Champ team in '18. Either way it seems like they may have been the best 13 seed in any division, rankings cant be perfect.
I can assure you there was 0 players left that were on the 2018 team, unless they somehow got a 5th year

The great equalizer was the many turnovers and costly penalties committed by Chardon. They executed very poorly on offense and had several TD opportunities either wasted or called back as a result. It wasn't one of Chardon's best showings. That's not taking anything away from Kenston, as they are a much better team than their 13 seed.

The key for Chardon will be sustained drives on offense. This means eliminating the penalties that've become a pattern in the past few games. Their defense is stellar as usual, but they haven't been wearing other teams' defenses down. They need sustained drives to run the clock and keep other teams' offenses off the field as they've done the past few years. They do that and they'll win. It will be a long day if they don't.

Last edited:
The great equalizer was the many turnovers and costly penalties committed by Chardon. They executed very poorly on offense and had several TD opportunities either wasted or called back as a result. It wasn't one of Chardon's best showings. That's not taking anything away from Kenston, as they are a much better team than their 13 seed.
It wasn’t one of their best showings because of Kenstons defense.

Don't you work up in the Cleveland metro? Wouldn't you drive past Ravenna on your drive home?
I work in different locations I am a consultant project engineer for the States of Ohio and Pennsylvania. For Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbiana, Jefferson, Stark, Summit, Cuyahoga, Portage, Geauga, Lake, Ashtabula, Carroll, Franklin and adjacent counties in Ohio and Mercer and Lawrence and other counties in PA and WV. And for various municipalities and townships, currently some include Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga Falls, Norton, Independence, Cleveland, Columbus, West Mifflin and Pittsburgh PA. I have an office in Akron, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Columbus. On Friday I will be in West Mifflin PA and Bridgeville PA and Ravenna is not on the way at all.

Attachments

• 20220615_131321.jpg
    20220615_131321.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 41
It wasn’t one of their best showings because of Kenstons defense.
Kenston’s defense played great, no doubt, but it had nothing to do with: The snap that went over the QBs head from the 1, that resulted in a FG instead of a TD. The fumbled snap, again at the 1, that resulted in a Kenston recovery and not a Chardon TD. The fumble inside the 20 recovered by Kenston that took at least away a Chardon FG, if not a TD.

That’s a MINIMUM of an additional 11 points off the board. Not to mention the 100+ yards of penalties.

Not taking anything away from Kenston’s defense, because they were stout to say the least, but the struggle for Chardon to score a few additional points were self inflicted, and nothing to do with Kenston’s defense. Maybe the weather, but not Kenston.

Kenston’s defense played great, no doubt, but it had nothing to do with: The snap that went over the QBs head from the 1, that resulted in a FG instead of a TD. The fumbled snap, again at the 1, that resulted in a Kenston recovery and not a Chardon TD. The fumble inside the 20 recovered by Kenston that took at least away a Chardon FG, if not a TD.

That’s a MINIMUM of an additional 11 points off the board. Not to mention the 100+ yards of penalties.

Not taking anything away from Kenston’s defense, because they were stout to say the least, but the struggle for Chardon to score a few additional points were self inflicted, and nothing to do with Kenston’s defense. Maybe the weather, but not Kenston.
Im assuming you were there topperbounce? I heard Chardon had a long sustained drive that seemed to take the wind out of Kenstons D before that goal line fumble. I read through a "play by play" on max preps but its hard to get feel for how it went down. I didnt know they were on the goal line when the high snap happened either.

So to recap Chardon vs Kenston was at Boardman when neither school was remotely close meanwhile when Chardon plays a Mahoning county school then they decide to put the game in Portage County, but not when neither school was from anywhere close to Mahoning County.

This will likely be another game with very light attendance from Canfield.