Week 8 Fort Loramie vs Sidney

may I ask what makes you think that you will be in the MAC in the near future?
it's a perfect fit. there's no reason Loramie shouldn't be in the MAC instead of a team like Parkway or St Johns. they are on the same road as Minster and New Bremen, and they would compete in all sports. waiting for Parkway or St Johns to pull the trigger on leaving is the only thing holding back Loramie from being in the MAC

it's a perfect fit. there's no reason Loramie shouldn't be in the MAC instead of a team like Parkway or St Johns. they are on the same road as Minster and New Bremen, and they would compete in all sports. waiting for Parkway or St Johns to pull the trigger on leaving is the only thing holding back Loramie from being in the MAC
but why do you think they will leave? they will NOT be forced out

It's funny how the MAC schools view the schools in the TRC. I can attest to the fact that Milton travels as well as any MAC school. But, it's been made clear that they aren't interested in the TRC so it's a moot point.

but why do you think they will leave? they will NOT be forced out
no, they won’t be forced out. but if Parkway ever wants to be competitive again, they would jump over to the NWC. DSJ will be in the MAC as long as that school survives.

I don't get why some of you MACers think Loramie is being so held back in the SCAL. SCAL is as good or better than MAC in all sports, period. Go check last season's D-IV basketball state champions for proof. And it isn't just football schools Loramie and Anna. Jackson Center and Russia routinely beat MAC schools in all sports. If Loramie leaves the SCAL, I hope their village council moves the entire town into Auglaize County, because I can't imagine they'll be welcome anywhere in Shelby.

And as far as Loramie football being held back, they just managed to make state semis a couple of years ago, in only about the 10th year of the program's existence, so I don't think lack of MAC membership is holding them back.

To be fair, Delphos is also on the same road as New Bremen, Minster, and Fort Loramie!

Why do the SCAL schools not have football? Many smaller schools correct?
Correct. Russia, Botkins, Jackson Center, Fairlawn in particular all really small. They'd probably all have problems similar to Bradford and Lehman of getting enough kids on the field every year.

As has been stated, the traditional rivalries are significant. Plus when you boil down to a smaller level (i.e. Junior High) it's more travel. Ultimately in most sports Loramie' s schedule is currently SCAL teams twice plus every MAC team aside from St. Johns and Parkway plus some other fill ins. It's about as smooth a transition as possible.

When/if that happens it will be exciting but for now we are where we are.

Oh give me a break. It's called being realistic, not making an excuse. I've watched them for years and have seen the difference in attitude many times. It's seemingly only grown more apparent since the MVL formed and they started playing more league games. For most sports non-league games are treated like scrimmages.

Funny, most of the Loramie people I ever talk to only ever brag about how they're God's gift to sports and how terrible Sidney is (not just the school sports, but the school itself and the town, which is funny since I see Loramie bumper stickers in town all the time, guess the IGA and Bruckens just don't cut it). Aren't you all expecting to win? Very well could be 5-2 instead of 2-5, right? Enjoy puffing your chests out even more. You're great, we suck, I get it. Heard it for decades.
You must talk to the vocal minority, I can assure you we all are not that way. Personally when we started our football program I told whoever would listen that I wasn't sure we would ever be a state caliber program. I was happy to proven wrong on that one although basketball certainly has suffered as a result. There certainly are people who think Loramie should win every game of every sport but you have that everywhere.

The rest of your comment is just silly. Of course an IGA and a few local bars aren't enough to sustain an entire town, that's basic economics. Put a Wal Mart, Hospital, numerus dining options, Kroger, etc. in Loramie instead of Sidney and you have the opposite effect. Not really sure what your going for there. We do take a lot of pride in our town, it's a nice place to live, work, and raise a family. I apologize for being proud of where we live.

Nothing is going to change. Anna was allowed in to balance everything out from NK not having a football program. The MAC isn't going to let FL in for only football, and that just needs to be gotten over with. I would love to see them compete every year, but unless they leave the SCAL, it's not happening.

Couldn't Fort Loramie be in both the MAC and the SCAL? Columbus Grove makes it work in both the NWC and Putnam County League. Guessing Leipsic is going to do the same.

I don't get why some of you MACers think Loramie is being so held back in the SCAL. SCAL is as good or better than MAC in all sports, period. Go check last season's D-IV basketball state champions for proof. And it isn't just football schools Loramie and Anna. Jackson Center and Russia routinely beat MAC schools in all sports. If Loramie leaves the SCAL, I hope their village council moves the entire town into Auglaize County, because I can't imagine they'll be welcome anywhere in Shelby.

And as far as Loramie football being held back, they just managed to make state semis a couple of years ago, in only about the 10th year of the program's existence, so I don't think lack of MAC membership is holding them back.
Loramie would sign off on papers today, if they would be given the opportunity to join the MAC for ALL sports....

Nothing is going to change. Anna was allowed in to balance everything out from NK not having a football program. The MAC isn't going to let FL in for only football, and that just needs to be gotten over with. I would love to see them compete every year, but unless they leave the SCAL, it's not happening.
I don't think anyone is saying or thinks that Loramie will be in for just football, everyone is well aware that won't happen.

Interesting matchup that caused me to run to joeeitel. What a grinder of a schedule for Fort Loramie. Geesh. They are probably the best 2-5 small school team in the state. I would guess that if they had joined the TRC, they would be at or near the top.

Is there any talk of any other Shelby County schools adding football? I thought there was some a year or so ago. There are too many similar sized schools in that area (not just Shelby County) for Fort Loramie to not have a football home.

Interesting matchup that caused me to run to joeeitel. What a grinder of a schedule for Fort Loramie. Geesh. They are probably the best 2-5 small school team in the state. I would guess that if they had joined the TRC, they would be at or near the top.

Is there any talk of any other Shelby County schools adding football? I thought there was some a year or so ago. There are too many similar sized schools in that area (not just Shelby County) for Fort Loramie to not have a football home.
Houston tried.... but didn't succeed......

First , the thought of Loramie in the TRC for all sports? The girls programs would suffer greatly. I recall more than a few times schools with seemingly great records coming out of the area just north of Dayton facing Ft Loramie girls teams in volleyball, basketball, track, softball etc and a mediocre Loramie team record wise would kill a good girls team from these other areas, Bradford and Newton softball being possible exceptions lately. The physical size difference between girls of the northern Shelby county and Miami county is self evident. So no, I do not believe all sports would have been a good fit for Loramie and the TRC.

Now to the game. I have been a big fan of Loramie football, but there seems to be just something off a bit this year. It could be all the travel, and facing unknown opponents. Could also be not having a CCC schedule to rip through. I would be shocked if the Sidney young men did not have their pride aroused for this one and be determined not to allow that little rural school in their county to upset them.

Sidney 39 Loramie 14

I have heard from an AD at a MAC school with the addition of 12 schools ( now changed to 16) making the playoffs that extra OOC game may soon not be viewed as important by the schools and another team might be invited in based on that change. No school names were mentioned, just the concept of how the existing schools in the MAC may view the more open qualifier of the now 16 teams getting in.

I have heard from an AD at a MAC school with the addition of 12 schools ( now changed to 16) making the playoffs that extra OOC game may soon not be viewed as important by the schools and another team might be invited in based on that change. No school names were mentioned, just the concept of how the existing schools in the MAC may view the more open qualifier of the now 16 teams getting in.
Makes sense. The second OOC game wouldn't matter as much regarding playoff points. You may not see MAC schools claim the top seeding in their region anymore, but that wont' matter. The MAC knows they can compete with anyone in the region and won't be striving to play a 14-16 seed first round.

I'd love to see Russia try 8-Man since they dont have soccer

All of the other schools are way too small to sustain a football team.

First , the thought of Loramie in the TRC for all sports? The girls programs would suffer greatly. I recall more than a few times schools with seemingly great records coming out of the area just north of Dayton facing Ft Loramie girls teams in volleyball, basketball, track, softball etc and a mediocre Loramie team record wise would kill a good girls team from these other areas, Bradford and Newton softball being possible exceptions lately. The physical size difference between girls of the northern Shelby county and Miami county is self evident. So no, I do not believe all sports would have been a good fit for Loramie and the TRC.

Now to the game. I have been a big fan of Loramie football, but there seems to be just something off a bit this year. It could be all the travel, and facing unknown opponents. Could also be not having a CCC schedule to rip through. I would be shocked if the Sidney young men did not have their pride aroused for this one and be determined not to allow that little rural school in their county to upset them.

Sidney 39 Loramie 14
I think your take is the best. I'm not sure why the other Sidney guy thinks the players won't care about the game. We always loved playing the county schools or Lehman just because it's typically an easy win. Ft. Loramie football didn't even exist when I played but Anna did and boy would they never miss a chance to mouth off, even though this was in their days of dominating World Harvest or other random bad teams during the season then getting dog walked in the playoffs. I'd expect Sidney to be motivated if Ft. Loramie acts anywhere near how Anna used to.

I completely understand your logic (even if I think it is exaggerated a little). I think the TRC schools have girls sports they are good at. FL might have the best overall girls program, but I don't think FL would just win every girls sport.

My view though is, every other sport has many more OOC games. It would seem like FL could play a TRC schedule in basketball, volleyball, etc and still play all the Shelby county schools (once, probably not twice). Who are they playing now in non-conference games? would the conference and non-conference games just swap?

(Does FL play girls soccer? are they league-homeless too?)

I also understand if the MAC is the goal, but I think you need a plan. Right now it looks like the plan is make football kids suffer so basketball kids can play local. Or maybe it's live through this and hope Lehman or Troy Christian drop football?

All of the other schools are way too small to sustain a football team.

With soccer, yes. But I think they could manage if they didn't have soccer - except maybe Russia.

SCAL Boys Enrollment:
Anna (146)
Fort Loramie (114)
Houston (109)
Botkins (88)
Fairlawn (85)
Jackson Center (61)
Russia (47)

Comparable Enrollment in SW District (With Football):
Ansonia (81)
Riverside (75)
St. Johns (71)
Lehman (58)*
Hardin Northern (55)
Bradford (53)
Catholic Central (47)*
Miami Valley Christian Academy (47)
Ridgemont (45)

*also has boys soccer

With soccer, yes. But I think they could manage if they didn't have soccer - except maybe Russia.

SCAL Boys Enrollment:
Anna (146)
Fort Loramie (114)
Houston (109)
Botkins (88)
Fairlawn (85)
Jackson Center (61)
Russia (47)

Comparable Enrollment in SW District (With Football):
Ansonia (81)
Riverside (75)
St. Johns (71)
Lehman (58)*
Hardin Northern (55)
Bradford (53)
Catholic Central (47)*
Miami Valley Christian Academy (47)
Ridgemont (45)

*also has boys soccer
I'd have never guessed that the SCL schools were bigger than the others you listed. I guess without soccer it would be manageable for many of the other county schools. Don't the schools Lehman's size and below struggle to field competitive teams on a yearly basis though?

I'd have never guessed that the SCL schools were bigger than the others you listed. I guess without soccer it would be manageable for many of the other county schools. Don't the schools Lehman's size and below struggle to field competitive teams on a yearly basis though?

Eh. I know Riverside, Catholic Central, Hardin Northern and Ridgemont the best of that group. Catholic Central usually has about 20-25 on the roster. I know Hardin Northern struggled for a while. Ridgemont always seems to have around 20-30 on the roster, but struggles to be competitive. Riverside never has had any issue.

Sidney 39 Loramie 14

You'll never get into the MAC if you admit physical advantages exist! ;)
Only superior communities and coaching advantages allowed to be discussed on Yappi all others MUST be discredited!

You must talk to the vocal minority, I can assure you we all are not that way. Personally when we started our football program I told whoever would listen that I wasn't sure we would ever be a state caliber program. I was happy to proven wrong on that one although basketball certainly has suffered as a result. There certainly are people who think Loramie should win every game of every sport but you have that everywhere.

The rest of your comment is just silly. Of course an IGA and a few local bars aren't enough to sustain an entire town, that's basic economics. Put a Wal Mart, Hospital, numerus dining options, Kroger, etc. in Loramie instead of Sidney and you have the opposite effect. Not really sure what your going for there. We do take a lot of pride in our town, it's a nice place to live, work, and raise a family. I apologize for being proud of where we live.

From where I sit you all look good at basketball still. I just wondered if you could expand on this thought?