Archie Miller Out At Indiana

Including the 2021 class - the last 4 classes have produced:
2018 - Tre Jones (#15, PG, Duke), Daniel Oturu (#50, C, Minn)
2019 - Hurt (#12, PF, Duke), Zeke Nnaji (#40, PF, Arizona)
2020 - Jalen Suggs (#11, CG, Zags), Dawson Garcia (#37, PF, Marquette), Dain Dainja (#89, C, Baylor)
2021 - Chet Holmgren (#1, C, projected Zags)

Plus another handful of #100-#200 ranked guys. Going strictly off recruiting rankings, they could have a very solid team keeping most of the in state talent in state. Taking out the academy guys, the state of Minnesota is about on par and possibly more talented than Ohio over the course of the last 4 years.

Ohio's been very lean on top-shelf talent the last 4-5 years; I think Branham is the first top-30 Ohio recruit since 2016. Even excluding the academy kids they're consistently producing 1 kid and sometimes 2 kids a year that are above what Ohio's been producing. If Minnesota gets that one kid more often than not they're consistently in the tournament and very competitive in the Big Ten.

There’s not many other jobs that are considered “bigger” than IU. Certainly none that are open right now. Matta’s health isn’t good, he had a botched back surgery a while back that’s really left him in bad shape.
And I think that's why IU can wait until they go through a good list of candidates. Many in the IU community are saying IU already has their guy because they wouldn't had let Miller go not having their next coach in place. Obviously Brad Stevens is the fan favorite and would make a great hire, IMO. But the timing would be interesting as Stevens is going to be with the Celtics until at least late May, possibly early June. Would Stevens leave mid season, for a team that's likely in the playoffs? I don't see that and can IU wait for him, or is there a staff behind the scenes doing the recruiting and other things until he would be able to join the team?

And I think that's why IU can wait until they go through a good list of candidates. Many in the IU community are saying IU already has their guy because they wouldn't had let Miller go not having their next coach in place. Obviously Brad Stevens is the fan favorite and would make a great hire, IMO. But the timing would be interesting as Stevens is going to be with the Celtics until at least late May, possibly early June. Would Stevens leave mid season, for a team that's likely in the playoffs? I don't see that and can IU wait for him, or is there a staff behind the scenes doing the recruiting and other things until he would be able to join the team?
Stevens already passed, take him out of your mind.

The logistics on hiring an NBA head coach don't make any sense unless they either get fired or find a way to quit in season.

Stevens already passed, take him out of your mind.
I don't mean to not take a guy with his word, but in coaching, they really can't comment truthfully under contract. Doesn't mean they won't get asked and won't continue being asked, but that's the way that industry works. We can go through countless examples of coaches who say they are not leaving, only to leave days or weeks later. So he's a candidate until he's either the coach or someone else is.

The logistics on hiring an NBA head coach don't make any sense unless they either get fired or find a way to quit in season.
It doesn't, but I think in Indiana's case, and the stature of Stevens, IF Indiana chose too wait it out until summer, it would be understandable.

Solid points have been made against Moser, especially the winning %, but I just cannot help but think he will get a call / interview. I feel like he can take a roster of C+ to B- D1 players and have them compete at the highest of levels with the big boys. The interview may not go well, but I just cannot help but think he is on a short list.

Solid points have been made against Moser, especially the winning %, but I just cannot help but think he will get a call / interview. I feel like he can take a roster of C+ to B- D1 players and have them compete at the highest of levels with the big boys. The interview may not go well, but I just cannot help but think he is on a short list.
This would had been the exact same formula used when hiring Archie Miller. The issue with these guys, and I'm not saying it's always this way, is you they are used to getting the unranked, the grinders that's been overlooked, you are not used to getting Mr. Basketball's and 4-5 star players. How do you handle that? Archie had Romeo Langford and Trayce Jackson Davis in his 4 years. Both Mr. Basketball's. Both highly sought after recruits.
I would be shocked if IU goes the mid major route again.

I don't mean to not take a guy with his word, but in coaching, they really can't comment truthfully under contract. Doesn't mean they won't get asked and won't continue being asked, but that's the way that industry works. We can go through countless examples of coaches who say they are not leaving, only to leave days or weeks later. So he's a candidate until he's either the coach or someone else is.

Even if you think he’s lying and he got fired by the Celtics, he’d still be able to land an NBA job.

Even if you think he’s lying and he got fired by the Celtics, he’d still be able to land an NBA job.
He would be without a job for about 10 seconds. I'm not sure he can get it done with the Celtics though, their window may have closed. They're missing something, just not sure what.

One guy that's not got alot of run on here but has been rumored as a potential candidate is former Hoosier and former NBA coach Mike Woodson.

Just noticed today that they're losing key players like crazy to the transfer portal...down three starters already from this year (Franklin, Durham and Thompson) as well as Parker Stewart, who sat out last year after transferring in from Tennessee-Martin. Stewart averaged over 19 ppg in 2019-20 there. It's always possible one or all could come back, but that almost never happens once guys start looking around.

The only recruit Archie had signed was Logan Duncomb from Moeller, who I don't see as being an instant impact guy. Unless the new coach gets 3-4 quality immediate eligibility transfers, the first year is going to be very rough...especially if Jackson-Davis looks around and decides he doesn't want to be the lone gun on a bad team next year. This may be looking like a total blowup and rebuild whether or not anyone actually wanted that.

Just noticed today that they're losing key players like crazy to the transfer portal...down three starters already from this year (Franklin, Durham and Thompson) as well as Parker Stewart, who sat out last year after transferring in from Tennessee-Martin. Stewart averaged over 19 ppg in 2019-20 there. It's always possible one or all could come back, but that almost never happens once guys start looking around.

The only recruit Archie had signed was Logan Duncomb from Moeller, who I don't see as being an instant impact guy. Unless the new coach gets 3-4 quality immediate eligibility transfers, the first year is going to be very rough...especially if Jackson-Davis looks around and decides he doesn't want to be the lone gun on a bad team next year. This may be looking like a total blowup and rebuild whether or not anyone actually wanted that.
Not sure what the rest of Hoosier Nation thought, but this was about alot more than next season. The group that was at IU last season, other than Jackson-Davis and Franklin can pretty much be replaced. Reportedly, there are over 800 in the transfer portal right now, with double that to be expected by July. So whomever the new coach is will have alot of kids they can bring in, good or bad.

I think another reason coaching changes can be made easier is due to the transfer portal. You can add some pretty good talent quickly. You make a home run hire, and the kids will follow. We may actually have a banner college basketball year next season as many kids who are not pro prospects will return for a 5th year of ball. The same number of high schoolers will be added to the mix so that just pushes the talent level up.
I'm not concerned with the transfers.

One guy that's not got alot of run on here but has been rumored as a potential candidate is former Hoosier and former NBA coach Mike Woodson.
Bc he’s a terrible option. If IU thinks he’s Juwan Howard, they’re mistaken. For one, Howard is 15+ years younger. Secondly, Howard knows all about the recruiting process, he’s got a son that’s a Frosh at Michigan. Woodson has been an NBA lifer with no connection to the college game for over 40 yrs.

Duncomb is Copabianco part 2. I’ve seen him play multiple times and I was never impressed. He’s the size of most 4s, but has limited range.

Bc he’s a terrible option. If IU thinks he’s Juwan Howard, they’re mistaken. For one, Howard is 15+ years younger. Secondly, Howard knows all about the recruiting process, he’s got a son that’s a Frosh at Michigan. Woodson has been an NBA lifer with no connection to the college game for over 40 yrs.
Good point, but he's been in the rumor mill.

I know I’ve been following it closely bc I find the coaching carousel in college sports fascinating.

Pboy, I agree with you about Woodson being an NBA lifer. Remember the AD said one Booster Paid Millers buyout and another Booster agreed to pay or help with new HC. Woodson could be longtime friends with that particular Booster. I’m guessing now that IU is interested in someone who is still in the NCAA Tournament. If not, this AD not very good at his job!

Pboy, I agree with you about Woodson being an NBA lifer. Remember the AD said one Booster Paid Millers buyout and another Booster agreed to pay or help with new HC. Woodson could be longtime friends with that particular Booster. I’m guessing now that IU is interested in someone who is still in the NCAA Tournament. If not, this AD not very good at his job!
IMO, the only acceptable hires would be:

Beard
Drew
Moser

Beilein would be good but it doesn’t seem like he wants to comeback to coach.

IMO, the only acceptable hires would be:

Beard
Drew
Moser

Beilein would be good but it doesn’t seem like he wants to comeback to coach.

Hard for me to say those only acceptable people without knowing who is interested or been interviewed.

Not sure what the rest of Hoosier Nation thought, but this was about alot more than next season. The group that was at IU last season, other than Jackson-Davis and Franklin can pretty much be replaced. Reportedly, there are over 800 in the transfer portal right now, with double that to be expected by July. So whomever the new coach is will have alot of kids they can bring in, good or bad.

I think another reason coaching changes can be made easier is due to the transfer portal. You can add some pretty good talent quickly. You make a home run hire, and the kids will follow. We may actually have a banner college basketball year next season as many kids who are not pro prospects will return for a 5th year of ball. The same number of high schoolers will be added to the mix so that just pushes the talent level up.
I'm not concerned with the transfers.

It all depends on what transfers you get though...the best kids are generally going to either "win now" situations or to somewhere where they expect to both play substantially and at a better school. An instant credibility coach such as Beard would probably get equal and possibly 1-2 better replacements via transfers if he wanted to go that route. A coach that excites the old diehards but that's not necessarily a proven college commodity is probably going to come out on the losing end of this transaction.

With the extra year of eligibility next year should be a very good year for college basketball. With how jam packed the number of bodies are for the number of spots available, the majority should not be sitting around too long on an offer at this point whether it's as a transfer or as a traditional recruit that either bloomed late or decided late. There's going to be a massive ripple effect with kids getting choked down the food chain due to the excess glut.

Quin Snyder is by far the best of the Coach K tree IMO. The last 5-6 years he's been one of the best coaches in the NBA at maximizing his talent. He was probably way too young and inexperienced when got his first college HC job at Missouri. He could be an interesting candidate down the road for some major jobs if he has any desire to return to college.

It all depends on what transfers you get though...the best kids are generally going to either "win now" situations or to somewhere where they expect to both play substantially and at a better school. An instant credibility coach such as Beard would probably get equal and possibly 1-2 better replacements via transfers if he wanted to go that route. A coach that excites the old diehards but that's not necessarily a proven college commodity is probably going to come out on the losing end of this transaction.

With the extra year of eligibility next year should be a very good year for college basketball. With how jam packed the number of bodies are for the number of spots available, the majority should not be sitting around too long on an offer at this point whether it's as a transfer or as a traditional recruit that either bloomed late or decided late. There's going to be a massive ripple effect with kids getting choked down the food chain due to the excess glut.
I don't see the tranfer portal thing going away, so you really have to look at a coach who embraces that avenue. As we've seen with Michigan, just one guy, the PG Smith from Colulmbia, has made a huge difference to that team. As for IU's transfers, they may not find better places. Arman Frankin is from Indianapolis, he's probably the most coveted of our transfers, but he also would likely have a starting spot locked down this season, regardless of the coach. I don't see Al Durham going anywhere and making a significant impact. He's probably best being a sixth/ seventh man off the bench. He's never played consistently enough to be a full time starter, he did for us because we had no one else. Race Thompson is a tweener, again probably better suited coming off the bench in a support role. I have not heard that any other current players were in the transfer portal.

I don't see the tranfer portal thing going away, so you really have to look at a coach who embraces that avenue. As we've seen with Michigan, just one guy, the PG Smith from Colulmbia, has made a huge difference to that team. As for IU's transfers, they may not find better places. Arman Frankin is from Indianapolis, he's probably the most coveted of our transfers, but he also would likely have a starting spot locked down this season, regardless of the coach. I don't see Al Durham going anywhere and making a significant impact. He's probably best being a sixth/ seventh man off the bench. He's never played consistently enough to be a full time starter, he did for us because we had no one else. Race Thompson is a tweener, again probably better suited coming off the bench in a support role. I have not heard that any other current players were in the transfer portal.

Eric Musselman is the king of utilizing the transfer avenue to quickly flip a roster around to his advantage. It looks like IU had a fifth guy enter the "portal" (Geronimo) yesterday. For a guy like Musselman, this would be a great situation to be able to rapidly remake the roster.

That said, I'd imagine Musselman is going to be offered a big extension and pay raise by Arkansas after the tournament is over. It will be interesting to see if Indiana or anyone else tries to swoop in and outbid them in a bidding war.

Eric Musselman is the king of utilizing the transfer avenue to quickly flip a roster around to his advantage. It looks like IU had a fifth guy enter the "portal" (Geronimo) yesterday. For a guy like Musselman, this would be a great situation to be able to rapidly remake the roster.

That said, I'd imagine Musselman is going to be offered a big extension and pay raise by Arkansas after the tournament is over. It will be interesting to see if Indiana or anyone else tries to swoop in and outbid them in a bidding war.
As I understand there is really no downside to going into the portal. Guys can always come back their original school, I would guess the new coach may have the ultimate say on that. But unless a guy really was at IU for the academic field (yeah right) they can go elsewhere. Kind of like getting recruited again. I think at some point the NCAA needs to put some restrictions in place. It can't be good for the product to have this free for all every year with players. I'm completely fine with the grad transfers, but these guys who just bounce from place to place. The kids are running the programs now.