Win-Loss record without forfeits

Throwing out post-season placements for seeding, Won-Loss records in my opinion are not a very good indicator for seeding. It penalizes teams that wrestle good schedules, and rewards teams that don't wrestle good competition.

Last edited:
haha yea I believe Tim the site manager said that he was going to wait until weigh ins he didnt want to release the brackets then have a kid no make weight I believe and have to re-do them
Just interested in the seeds. I don't think anyone is putting the brackets out there. That's the Tim I've known for a very long time ... love that guy though!

Throwing out post-season placements for seeding, Won-Loss records in my opinion are not a very good indicator for seeding. It penalizes teams that wrestle good schedules, and penalizes teams that don't wrestle good competition.
???? What you going to vote every weight by strength of schedule? You have a solid week and 80 hours to seed everyone? It's only sectionals, not seeding straight to state. Only a winner and a loser . Pretty simple.Take your lumps and be battle tested. The deck always plays out.

???? What you going to vote every weight by strength of schedule? You have a solid week and 80 hours to seed everyone? It's only sectionals, not seeding straight to state. Only a winner and a loser . Pretty simple.Take your lumps and be battle tested. The deck always plays out.

I'm in 100% agreement with you that for the most part things will play themselves on the mat exactly as they should. However, since wins by forfeit are factored into the criteria this year, I will say it's interesting that one central district team in the Newark sectional seems to have been very fortunate in that not even one of their wrestlers seems to have had any wins by forfeit this season. Zero forfeits. During a pandemic. 106-Hwt. How lucky for them. What are the odds?

Last edited:
Looks like the criteria % and ranking is based on the "normal" win loss record, so the "modified" record must be for information only. I'm guessing anything suspicious would be brought up if it came into play.

I'm in 100% agreement with you that for the most part things will play themselves on the mat exactly as they should. However, since wins by forfeit are factored into the criteria this year, I will say it's interesting that one central district team in the Newark sectional seems to have been very fortunate in that not even one of their wrestlers seems to have had any wins by forfeit this season. Zero forfeits. During a pandemic. 106-Hwt. How lucky for them. What are the odds?

Probably got all of the forfeits at 126, 145 and 152. ;)

I'm not criticizing any coach who didn't change the win loss in the forfeit column. Since I don't remember doing this before or hearing about it before the February update (definitely could have been my fault) I dont usually notate forfeit wins in my spreadsheet so I had to go back through every scoresheet.

I'm a busy guy and just luckily happened to have my bag while running youth practice and multitasked. If not I wouldn't have had a free minute until after sectionals.

I had a typo, but I think people knew what I meant. In the past we did true seed meetings. It took like an hour to hour and a half max, and a lot of spots were pretty clear after hearing about quality wins and such. Most coaches are reasonable. I know it is "just Sectionals", but are coaches that lazy that they need to let a computer criteria dictate seeding for the most important time of the year? Coaches put in all this time all year, and can't give one evening to make brackets pretty accurate? The criteria doesn't account for kids who improved since last year, or kids who may be struggling this year. That is my feelings anyway. Heck, it could be Zoom seed meetings nowadays, or even after weigh-ins. Look how pissed everyone got with computers determining college football fortunes.

If the thought is receiving team points for a forfeit in a dual counts as a win, then do the same coaches count a bye in a bracket tournament after winning your next round as a win? With having at least the sectional & district tournament results for last year & this years results, should be enough to separate the best kids at sectionals.
I always thought sectional placement was considered in criteria. I was really surprised that it is only district placement and only from last year. Was I reading wrong? I looked at Lebanon for Div 1

I always thought sectional placement was considered in criteria. I was really surprised that it is only district placement and only from last year. Was I reading wrong? I looked at Lebanon for Div 1

Sectional placement has been out of the criteria for a few years since the attempt to harmonize things statewide.

Looking at some of the records at the Sectionals, I noticed how a couple of Moeller kids had close to 50 matches this season. One had a 40-8 record and another that was 31-14! That's pretty strong in a Covid Season and good scheduling by them if they were able to get that many matches in this year! Good Luck to all this Post Season and stay healthy my friends!!!