General NFL Chat

Disappointing loss for the Bills but what a great season. The progress this team and their QB have made over the last 3 years is amazing. Allen is a top 5 QB; McDermitt is a top 5 head coach and Bean is a top 5 GM.

2018 = Bills went 6 - 10
2019 = Bills went 10 - 7 and made the playoffs as a wildcard.
2020 = Bills went 15 - 4, won their division; won 2 playoff games and lost in the Championship game.

The Bills are going on a 5 - 10 year run. Future battles with the Chiefs are going to be epic.

Are you referring to the same team that didn’t call a single running play until halfway through the second quarter last week against Baltimore ? They abandoned the run last season

The Bills running game is atrocious. They have the worst RB's in the NFL. When the rookie Moss went down it forced Buffalo to rely on Singleterry who has been awful. That dropped pass today on what looked to be a huge gain was the last straw for this guy. Yeldon, the Bills most productive RB tonight is a practice squad player who is rarely activated let alone plays.

The good news for the Bills is that RB is probably the easiest position to fix. If Buffalo can field two average RB's they're a noticeably better offense.

Two more observations on today's games:

1) Brady is making me rethink whether Belichick is as good as we believe or that NE owed their dynasty more to Brady. It seems to me that had the Pats put more resources in their offense Brady may have won them a couple more Super Bowls. That Brady guided the Bucs to the Super Bowl this year is astonishing.

2) I think there were only 2 games in the entire season that KC brought their A game and that was against the Ravens early in the season and the Bills today. The talent gap between the Chiefs, the AFC's best team and the next two best teams in the AFC (Bills & Ravens) is wide. The rest of the conference is even further behind. The Chiefs basically did the minimum and still finished 14 - 2 in the regular season.

It’s impossible to stop KC’s Offense when they’re clicking, it just can’t be done. Nobody can cover Hill one on one, and no LB can cover Kelce. Add to that Mahomes is a generational talent at QB and you get an unstoppable force.

Wonder how much of an advantage home field will be for TB. I know the fan support won’t be much, but they get to spend the next 2 weeks at home with no worries about traveling.

Wonder how much of an advantage home field will be for TB. I know the fan support won’t be much, but they get to spend the next 2 weeks at home with no worries about traveling.
Being home would be a distraction. Normal years ya spend a week away z focused on the game, with little home distraction s.
I would not doubt if TB stays in a hotel all next week.

Being home would be a distraction. Normal years ya spend a week away z focused on the game, with little home distraction s.
I would not doubt if TB stays in a hotel all next week.
Little distractions? During SB week?

The Bills running game is atrocious. They have the worst RB's in the NFL. When the rookie Moss went down it forced Buffalo to rely on Singleterry who has been awful. That dropped pass today on what looked to be a huge gain was the last straw for this guy. Yeldon, the Bills most productive RB tonight is a practice squad player who is rarely activated let alone plays.

The good news for the Bills is that RB is probably the easiest position to fix. If Buffalo can field two average RB's they're a noticeably better offense.
The Bills are an up and coming team, and they've built a nice team. However, remember that in the NFL, it's about parity, and the Bills will now play a first place schedule, so the competition will be tougher from week to week, or it should be. Allen has progressed nicely, is this his ceiling, or will he get better? For nothing else, yesterday was a great learning situation for him, other than not much of a crowd there. He should grow, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be a great passer? Would be nice to get another receiver to go with Diggs, he was somewhat neutralized yesterday. After KC, the AFC will be wide open again next season. I think you'll see Cleveland, Indy, Tennessee, Miami and the Raiders all right there at the next level. Also feel Pittsburgh could make one more run with Ben if they get everyone healthy.

A lot is being said about the Mount Union to NFL pipeline but I would say that those with ties to John Carroll is just as hot a pipeline to the NFL>

Chargers: GM Tom Telesco and Head Coach Brandon Staley
Houston: GM Nick Caserio
Baltimore: OC Greg Roman
New England: OC Josh McDaniels and Pro Personnel Dir Dave Ziegler
ex–Indy: GM Chris Polian
ex–Jags: GM Dave Caldwell

1) Brady is making me rethink whether Belichick is as good as we believe or that NE owed their dynasty more to Brady. It seems to me that had the Pats put more resources in their offense Brady may have won them a couple more Super Bowls. That Brady guided the Bucs to the Super Bowl this year is astonishing.

2) I think there were only 2 games in the entire season that KC brought their A game and that was against the Ravens early in the season and the Bills today. The talent gap between the Chiefs, the AFC's best team and the next two best teams in the AFC (Bills & Ravens) is wide. The rest of the conference is even further behind. The Chiefs basically did the minimum and still finished 14 - 2 in the regular season.
I'm not sure why there is such a need to separate Brady/ Belichick? They won together, there's nothing wrong with that. Brady has alot more talent with him now in Tampa than he's ever had in NE. But NE and Belichick was more of a defensive oriented team/ coach. Heck, didn't they win their last SB with a 13-3 win? There's more than one way to win, and Belichick used all his tools. Win the division, get home field and make the rest of the country go to Mass in January and try to win a football game in crappy conditions. When you think about those Patriot teams, other than Brady, do you think of anyone else on offense? It was normally running back by committee. Gronk, a couple of possession receivers. It was defense, defense, defense, Bill's calling card.

TB has a very good team around Brady including a good defense. Their are probably a dozen QB's that could have helped take that team to the SB. Brady yesterday was not very good, 3 int's, good thing TB had a big enough lead at half to hold off GB.

It’s impossible to stop KC’s Offense when they’re clicking, it just can’t be done. Nobody can cover Hill one on one, and no LB can cover Kelce. Add to that Mahomes is a generational talent at QB and you get an unstoppable force.
The Browns should have beat the Chiefs.

He was good enough in the first half and that was enough.

If KC can pressure TB12 like they did Allen, the Buccs have no chance.

Tight End is developing into one of the key positions in the NFL, it appears you need multiple good ones that can do everything called upon which includes blocking. Travis Kelce may never be a MVP candidate but he is just as important to the success of the Chiefs as anyone outside of Mahomes.

Creates such a mismatch in the passing game.
They will continue to get bigger and more important around the league.

Tight End is developing into one of the key positions in the NFL, it appears you need multiple good ones that can do everything called upon which includes blocking. Travis Kelce may never be a MVP candidate but he is just as important to the success of the Chiefs as anyone outside of Mahomes.

The Bills are an up and coming team, and they've built a nice team. However, remember that in the NFL, it's about parity, and the Bills will now play a first place schedule, so the competition will be tougher from week to week, or it should be. Allen has progressed nicely, is this his ceiling, or will he get better? For nothing else, yesterday was a great learning situation for him, other than not much of a crowd there. He should grow, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be a great passer? Would be nice to get another receiver to go with Diggs, he was somewhat neutralized yesterday. After KC, the AFC will be wide open again next season. I think you'll see Cleveland, Indy, Tennessee, Miami and the Raiders all right there at the next level. Also feel Pittsburgh could make one more run with Ben if they get everyone healthy.

People who don't follow the Bills would have no reason to be aware of the amazing trajectory Allen has taken since high school. It's reasonable to assume he will continue to get better over the next couple of years. I truly believe that by the end of next year Allen will be considered the best QB in the NFL.

BTW Allen has exceptional arm talent and is an excellent passer.

In HS Allen was a zero star recruit with zero scholarship offers. He played one season at the local community college where he didn't even start until mid season. He then sent videos out to EVERY D1 college football program and received some interest from Eastern Michigan and one offer from Wyoming.

At WY, Allen showed flashes of his athleticism and arm talent but only completed 56% of his passes.

In the NFL Allen's year to year stats are:

2018 (rookie): competed 52.8% of his passes for 2074 yards; 10 TD/12 INT; Total TD's = 18

2019: competed 58.8% of his passes for 3089 yards; 20 TD/9 INT; Total TD's = 29

2020: competed 69.2% of his passes for 4544 yards; 37 TD/10 INT; Total TD's = 46

Combining 2020 season & playoff numbers Allen competed 68.8% of his passes for 5362 yards; 42 TD/11 INT; Total TD's = 52

This is simply an amazing level of improvement and there's no reason to believe Allen has plateaued.

I'm not sure why there is such a need to separate Brady/ Belichick? They won together, there's nothing wrong with that. Brady has alot more talent with him now in Tampa than he's ever had in NE. But NE and Belichick was more of a defensive oriented team/ coach. Heck, didn't they win their last SB with a 13-3 win? There's more than one way to win, and Belichick used all his tools. Win the division, get home field and make the rest of the country go to Mass in January and try to win a football game in crappy conditions. When you think about those Patriot teams, other than Brady, do you think of anyone else on offense? It was normally running back by committee. Gronk, a couple of possession receivers. It was defense, defense, defense, Bill's calling card.

As a Bills fan who has suffered for 2 decades at the hands of Belichick & Brady I was of the belief that Belichick was the key factor and he would have been just as successful with any decent QB. This year has changed my mind on this. What Brady has accomplished is extraordinary, particularly for a 43 year old. It's clear to me that had NE surrounded Brady with more weapons the last 5 years they would have been even better.

As a Bills fan who has suffered for 2 decades at the hands of Belichick & Brady I was of the belief that Belichick was the key factor and he would have been just as successful with any decent QB. This year has changed my mind on this. What Brady has accomplished is extraordinary, particularly for a 43 year old. It's clear to me that had NE surrounded Brady with more weapons the last 5 years they would have been even better.
That TB defense is very good, though. I was impressed.

The thing that many people don't consider, and especially the experts, is that the Patriots keep a solid foundation of football players, they don't tend to overpay. Where alot of franchises get into trouble is they go get skill positions players and overpay them, and therefore have to undercut the foundation pieces, like O and D lines, linebackers, depth. The thing that carried the Patriots over the last two decades is they seem to have very little drop off when the personnel changes, except in QB where TB was at. Other than that, it's a revolving door of receivers, running backs, tight ends other than Gronk. The defense is kept filled and happy and that's how they win. Patriots won 7 games this year, had the most guys opt out of Covid and had a QB that could not throw. Incredible job by Belichick this year.

The thing that many people don't consider, and especially the experts, is that the Patriots keep a solid foundation of football players, they don't tend to overpay. Where alot of franchises get into trouble is they go get skill positions players and overpay them, and therefore have to undercut the foundation pieces, like O and D lines, linebackers, depth. The thing that carried the Patriots over the last two decades is they seem to have very little drop off when the personnel changes, except in QB where TB was at. Other than that, it's a revolving door of receivers, running backs, tight ends other than Gronk. The defense is kept filled and happy and that's how they win. Patriots won 7 games this year, had the most guys opt out of Covid and had a QB that could not throw. Incredible job by Belichick this year.
Losing TB12, and man those opt outs were crazy. they had the most by far.

The topic today they are saying this proves it was all TB and not BB.

TB12 is amazing, and if not for BB there is no way that franchise would have been taht successful for so long.

Just saw a meme stating:

Tom Brady has been to the super bowl 47% of his seasons.
Curry makes 43% of threes.

TB is more likely to get to the SB than curry to make a three

Did anyone ask Rodgers why he didn’t run the ball on third and goal from the 8?
Instead he threw the ball across his body to a guy that was double covered at the goal line.

then he bit Che’s about kicking the field goal.

Did anyone ask Rodgers why he didn’t run the ball on third and goal from the 8?
Instead he threw the ball across his body to a guy that was double covered at the goal line.

then he bit Che’s about kicking the field goal.
Eh.
He doesnt score. There is one DB who was doubling the guy he threw to that was looking right at him andI think that DL had a beat on him too.
He absolutely would have gained a few years, and maybe made it closer and maybe they change their mind.

but yeah....you go for it.
I look at it this way, same for onside kicks....
Ya have to stop them anyways, so why not? Kick a FG you have to hold them, so why not go for it?

If ya dont get it, they have the ball much further back than if you kick a FG and then kick off.

Eh.
He doesnt score. There is one DB who was doubling the guy he threw to that was looking right at him andI think that DL had a beat on him too.
He absolutely would have gained a few years, and maybe made it closer and maybe they change their mind.

but yeah....you go for it.
I look at it this way, same for onside kicks....
Ya have to stop them anyways, so why not? Kick a FG you have to hold them, so why not go for it?

If ya dont get it, they have the ball much further back than if you kick a FG and then kick off.
My take was he’s too old to make that run, or have the desire to.

Mahomes, Allen, even Mayfield run there.

4th and goal at the 2 is a lot different than from the 8. Lots more playcalling options.

He is equally to blame as the coach was for kicking the FG

I know it’s a bit sadistic, but it would’ve been funny to see the Bulls get to the SB and lose to Tom Brady again.

I know it’s a bit sadistic, but it would’ve been funny to see the Bulls get to the SB and lose to Tom Brady again.

It's not sadistic at all. I would much rather have had the Bills beat KC and then lose to Brady in the Super Bowl then to lose yesterday and not make the big game.

But yes, a lot of Bills fans were thinking along your lines and that's why they were all rooting for Green Bay yesterday.

This Bills loss reminds me of their loss to the Bengals in the 1988 championship game. Buffalo and particularly Kelly played poorly and the better team won. But at the time I had a sense that the Bills were at the beginning of something special. I have the same feeling today.