20-21 Federal League Basketball

Massillon had a strong team last year that would have finished in the top half of the Federal League. However, if they want to be considered one of Stark County's top basketball programs, they need to upgrade the schedule. Tigers should be playing teams like Jackson more often and teams like Dalton less often. Take a look at the nonconference games Green has scheduled the last few years (St V, Solon, Boardman, St Ignatius, Revere) and who Jackson has played (Mentor, Cleveland Heights, Brush, Shaker Heights). I think that Massillon has the potential to consistently be one of the area's best teams, but they need to upgrade their competition.
Great point especially considering they comment on everyone else's football schedule and boast about their schedule...

Massillon had a strong team last year that would have finished in the top half of the Federal League. However, if they want to be considered one of Stark County's top basketball programs, they need to upgrade the schedule. Tigers should be playing teams like Jackson more often and teams like Dalton less often. Take a look at the nonconference games Green has scheduled the last few years (St V, Solon, Boardman, St Ignatius, Revere) and who Jackson has played (Mentor, Cleveland Heights, Brush, Shaker Heights). I think that Massillon has the potential to consistently be one of the area's best teams, but they need to upgrade their competition.

The Tigers schedule is fine. They play 22 teams. Go to the Arbiter page, it lists the entire schedule, including the games that have been postponed and rescheduled. As for the Dalton game, it was part of the Hall of Fame Hardwood Classic. Dalton was not a scheduled game. The teams included in the Classic were matched by the organizers of the event.

IMO you guys are comparing apples to oranges the separation between D1 and D4 in basketball isn't near as far in basketball as football you need 15 to 20 good players in D1 football to be good in basketball you can be good with 4 - 7 good players at any level in fact I'd love to see a game between Malvern and Green but they'd never do it because of the stigma attached if they lost

IMO you guys are comparing apples to oranges the separation between D1 and D4 in basketball isn't near as far in basketball as football you need 15 to 20 good players in D1 football to be good in basketball you can be good with 4 - 7 good players at any level in fact I'd love to see a game between Malvern and Green but they'd never do it because of the stigma attached if they lost
Yup. Green is willing to schedule St. Vincent St. Mary and St. Ignatius but is afraid to play Malvern. That totally makes sense.

The Tigers schedule is fine. They play 22 teams. Go to the Arbiter page, it lists the entire schedule, including the games that have been postponed and rescheduled. As for the Dalton game, it was part of the Hall of Fame Hardwood Classic. Dalton was not a scheduled game. The teams included in the Classic were matched by the organizers of the event.
Massillon with enrollment of 528 has “scheduled” the likes of
Dalton 117
Ridgewood 165
Canton CC 169
St. Thomas 92
Yeah....their schedule is fine. ?

Dalton 117
Ridgewood 165
Canton CC 169
St. Thomas 92

As usual, some of the Federalist/Federalist sympathizers folks can’t have a good discussion without taking potshots. Maybe you should compare the Tigers’ schedule with the Fed schedules, there are many similarities.?. As an independent, it is very difficult to schedule 22 games.

Last edited:
Yup. Green is willing to schedule St. Vincent St. Mary and St. Ignatius but is afraid to play Malvern. That totally makes sense.
like I said you are missing the point not afraid to play Malvern they won't because they have nothing to gain from it don't be so defensive never said Malvern could win but I know they could compete they start 6'6 6'5 and 6'1 first man off the bench is 6'5 and play 9 plus 3 players that barring injury or covid cancelations will score over 1000 points in their career

in honor of full disclosure Malvern wouldn't schedule Green either in less it was a holiday special that they play up once or twice a year

Dalton 117
Ridgewood 165
Canton CC 169
St. Thomas 92
Plus, they're doing it while carrying the 4th highest Competitive Balance number of all public schools in the state in Division I. Just like in football, the Tigers can't win with their own kids in basketball either. ?

D66E74FB-1F89-4FC6-AE43-CB18E224D885.jpeg

Massillon's schedule is by no means terrible. Lots of teams schedule an easy game or two. I get that it's hard to create a schedule as an independent. Considering that Saturday's matchups were chosen by the event organizers, it isn't fair to criticize the Tigers for playing a D4 team. However, when you consider the other teams in the D1 Canton District that Massillon will compete against in the playoffs, it's obvious that the Tigers will not have faced the rigorous schedule that the FED teams do. It's just a fact. Dover and Wooster have the same problem. I actually think these schools are usually underrated, but it's difficult to judge a 18-4 Massillon or Wooster team that blows out smaller schools against a 14-8 FED team that has been battle tested.

9l
Massillon's schedule is by no means terrible. Lots of teams schedule an easy game or two. I get that it's hard to create a schedule as an independent. Considering that Saturday's matchups were chosen by the event organizers, it isn't fair to criticize the Tigers for playing a D4 team. However, when you consider the other teams in the D1 Canton District that Massillon will compete against in the playoffs, it's obvious that the Tigers will not have faced the rigorous schedule that the FED teams do. It's just a fact. Dover and Wooster have the same problem. I actually think these schools are usually underrated, but it's difficult to judge a 18-4 Massillon or Wooster team that blows out smaller schools against a 14-8 FED team that has been battle tested.

The Tigers play most of the Fed teams, so what’s your point? Look at all the 2020-21 Fed schedules that you posted in an earlier post. Some of them are not that great. That’s a fact.

The Tigers play most of the Fed teams, so what’s your point? Look at all the 2020-21 Fed schedules that you posted in an earlier post. Some of them are not that great. That’s a fact.
[/QUOTE]

Correct. Let's not act like the Fed teams put together some juggernaut non conference schedules. They are mostly trying to schedule teams they can beat as opposed to pushing their teams to the limit. I do applaud Green for scheduling Ignatius and St V. Those are two top tier opponents. McKinley has also scheduled some really good teams this year including D1 title favorite Moeller. Within the last week, I have seen Lutheran East (D3), Richmond Heights (D4), and Gahanna Lincoln (D1) post that they are looking for games and are willing to travel. I am sure some Fed teams have open dates. Put your money where your mouth is and schedule some elite teams.

I agree that Massillon's schedule could be better, but it is not bad. Their previous coach scheduled Moeller, Ignatius, Eds, etc a few years ago. You cannot play teams like that every night. Very few schools (none in the Fed) have schedules full of teams like that. I believe Jackson played an average D4 team (Richmond Heights) the last year they won the state title and beat them by 70+ points if memory serves. This was before Quentin Rogers took over at Richmond Heights. Richmond Heights came to Jackson and won going away last year. As has been noted earlier in this thread, there is nothing wrong with playing some D4 teams who have good players.

FWIW, I have seen both teams play recently, and Green would be a heavy favorite against Malvern this year IMO. And I am not going to make some wild prediction, but Dalton would probably win a fair amount of Fed League games this year too.

What's going on at Lake? I thought they'd be better this year. Blue Streaks have really fallen off.
Our administration’s acceptance of mediocrity. Lake athletic’s (football and basketball mainly) are nowhere near what they used to be and I don’t think they are coming back. Not at least until we have an administration with a backbone. But we don’t. The mindset that is “it’s ok to lose, as long as you play hard” is this admins. The coaching at the high school levels is terrible throughout most sports. (The basketball team has other issues, pm if you wanna know more) We have had some great middle school and youth teams across all sports that consistently fizzle out at the high school levels. It is what it is. Just take a look at this years senior football class. They were world beaters at the middle and freshman level. It’s the same story over and over. But it’s ok “if you play like a bluestreak” to lose.

Last edited:
Our administration’s acceptance of mediocrity. Lake athletic’s (football and basketball mainly) are nowhere near what they used to be and I don’t think they are coming back. Not at least until we have an administration with a backbone. But we don’t. The mindset that is “it’s ok to lose, as long as you play hard” is this admins. The coaching at the high school levels is terrible throughout most sports. (The basketball team has other issues, pm if you wanna know more) We have had some great middle school and youth teams across all sports that consistently fizzle out at the high school levels. It is what it is. Just take a look at this years senior football class. They were world beaters at the middle and freshman level. It’s the same story over and over. But it’s ok “if you play like a bluestreak” to lose.
That's unfortunate. Lake had some terrific basketball teams not too long ago. I remember going to the Jackson-Lake game at Jackson in 2015 and Lake absolutely dominated a much bigger Polar Bears team. It was obvious that those Lake players and coaches were well-prepared and expected to win. High school basketball is better when the Blue Streaks are good.

That's unfortunate. Lake had some terrific basketball teams not too long ago. I remember going to the Jackson-Lake game at Jackson in 2015 and Lake absolutely dominated a much bigger Polar Bears team. It was obvious that those Lake players and coaches were well-prepared and expected to win. High school basketball is better when the Blue Streaks are good.
Yes, Lake and Jackson had something special going on for several years. Each game was usually close, intense, meaningful in terms of the league, and the gyms were packed. That 93-92 overtime loss to Lake on their gym in 2013 was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

Sponsored by our friends at Van Nostran Young & Associates

It was a Federal League ? showdown between Lake & Hoover & we were there to cover the action!

Joe Dunn & Troy Richardson ?

Sarchione Ford Of RandolphPOTG: Tanner Ware

Did the shot ? go in before the buzzer?

As usual, some of the Federalist/Federalist sympathizers folks can’t have a good discussion without taking potshots. Maybe you should compare the Tigers’ schedule with the Fed schedules, there are many similarities.?. As an independent, it is very difficult to schedule 22 games.

That schedule didn't prepare you for Jackson.... At least you beat Dalton... Perhaps you can grab Massillon Christian to up the schedule.