Which State Champs Are Most Likely To Repeat In 2021? --- POLL

Which state champs are most likely to repeat in 2021? (vote for up to 3 teams)

• Total voters

Well when I voted, it only showed 3 teams and won't let me change my vote but X will always be a contender and Hoban is a well oiled machine. 3-7 really anything could happen. Out of all those 5 teams, the one i'd have the most confidence in I think is Kirtland but If things go as I think they will, Versailles will give them one heck of a game. My worry with Coldwater is having to face Beau Brungard again. New Bremen will have to deal with Marion Local again.

Well when I voted, it only showed 3 teams and won't let me change my vote but X will always be a contender and Hoban is a well oiled machine. 3-7 really anything could happen. Out of all those 5 teams, the one i'd have the most confidence in I think is Kirtland but If things go as I think they will, Versailles will give them one heck of a game. My worry with Coldwater is having to face Beau Brungard again. New Bremen will have to deal with Marion Local again.
I just edited the poll, so you can now change your vote.

Kirtland4580 does Kirtland lose a ton? I know Gage Sullivan is back, but a lot of seniors gone, no? Or Is Kirtland just still in reload mode? I'm sure Tiger is looking forward to moving up in the CVC.
I know Chardon is graduating a bunch. They would be low on the list of repeating.

Hoban loses a ton of talent to graduation. That being said I picked Hoban to lose to Massillon. That is the last time I bet against them.

Kirtland4580 does Kirtland lose a ton? I know Gage Sullivan is back, but a lot of seniors gone, no? Or Is Kirtland just still in reload mode? I'm sure Tiger is looking forward to moving up in the CVC.
I know Chardon is graduating a bunch. They would be low on the list of repeating.
Is Gage their leading rusher?

I believe 18 combined. Coldwater now has 7, Kirtland has 6, & Hoban has 5 in the last 6 years (not sure if they won before that span or not).
Leaving Hoban out of the conversation, Coldwater has 7 in 16 years & Kirtland has 6 in 10 years!! Normally, MSML can chuckle at other schools ring counts, but both of these teams have a legit shot to match their 11 rings in 20 years. (Of course MSML is far from "done")

It’s a funny thing, you know. Every year, Kirtland loses seniors and I always say to myself, “How do we replace (fill in the blank senior)?” but they always find a way to do so. As a result Kirtland I would expect is still in reload mode. 20 or so seniors will be gone, and that’s a decent sized class, but we return a few starters on each side of the ball just like previous years.

I only picked Hoban. The real question here is how many teams in the MAC will be state champs. You never know which MAC team is going to win it.

I went with Coldwater although if one goes in the weight room the day after winning a title like last year's Kirtland(allegedly), Hornets stand solid shot as well.

So, Coldw8ter and Kirtl7nd.

Last edited:
Very impressive! And I just read the MAC has 37 all-time playoff era state titles!
The 4 team GCL South has 12 titles since 2002, and 19 all-time playoff era state titles.
The MAC resume is impressive however I think the GCL record is very different since during the playoff era all the teams were DI until LaSalle dropped to DII 5/6 years ago. The GCL literally had to "eat their own " every year to get out of region 4. Just this year ST X had to beat Moeller and Elder in rematches during the playoff. From what I read the MAC during that time has been spread our over at least 4 divisions which clearly gave lots of championship opportunity. This is borne out in the fact that once Lasalle dropped down they have won 4 State titles. I don't think they had won a single playoff game before that.

We don’t even know who will be in which division yet. Coldwater may be approaching div 5 status. VanWert may be moving up to 3 and Kirtland seems close to div 6.
That would be bizarre at least to me considering Van Wert was D5 not long ago. Could we get bumped up to D5? I'm sure its possible. If Kirtland drops to 6, I will already circle the Springfield playoff game now. That will be a dandy.

That would be bizarre at least to me considering Van Wert was D5 not long ago. Could we get bumped up to D5? I'm sure its possible. If Kirtland drops to 6, I will already circle the Springfield playoff game now. That will be a dandy.
Van Wert was V? I remember them being in III when they beat Bellevue the last time(prior to 2020), 2000.