Mike DeWine 2pm Briefing Thursday Aug. 13

Sickening to keep the players in limbo like this not to mention the Athletic Directors that are scrapping last minute to try to piece a schedule together after OHSAA last minute decision for 6 games. This could not have been handled any worse by DeWine. I really hope the media reporters grill him hard on the topic today in questioning.
Schedules are done, officials being notified.

Schools not in a league are having a more difficult time, but they always do. Got a whole 'nuther week.

Husted's social media hasn't referenced anything about return to play in about a day. Maybe that's reading too much into it though but he had been consistent in pushing that agenda.

B1G's decision will almost certainly mean everything gets another look over. We're probably too far along to change course now but people in Columbus are going to respond to anything Ohio State related and they will take it seriously.

I sorta think too that OHSAA's seating capacity suggestions are wildly optimistic. I'm thinking the state would probably like to see family only or more limited attendance.

You also have to give a second look to things like what is going on in Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties with numerous football programs having to already halt practices due to COVID. And some of those cases were symptomatic.

What makes you think Fox will pay television rights for games that aren't played? Any contract this large written by a competent person has a measure to void it in extenuating circumstances.

If you want to hypothesize that this was done for political reasons be my guest. But don't downplay the financial blow the athletic departments will take.
This will also be a blow to the academic department as some of the funds are shared. If theses tested athletes who are regularly under a microscope while in season are not considered safe, how can a student union, lecture hall or large community dorm and cafeteria be okay? Not to mention the after hours activities since these athletes will not be focused on practice and competition demands.

You also have to give a second look to things like what is going on in Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties with numerous football programs having to already halt practices due to COVID. And some of those cases were symptomatic.
Have they had a spike in student athlete deaths?

Sickening to keep the players in limbo like this not to mention the Athletic Directors that are scrapping last minute to try to piece a schedule together after OHSAA last minute decision for 6 games. This could not have been handled any worse by DeWine. I really hope the media reporters grill him hard on the topic today in questioning.

Agreed - could you imagine being an AD working likely all day and night to finalize a schedule and then he cancels, or even worse, delays the timeline. Completely wasted work.

Soccer starts next week, make a damn call.

What makes you think Fox will pay television rights for games that aren't played? Any contract this large written by a competent person has a measure to void it in extenuating circumstances.

If you want to hypothesize that this was done for political reasons be my guest. But don't downplay the financial blow the athletic departments will take.
There's still a season "scheduled". I haven't read the contract but certainly think that Fox will honor it given they own the Big Ten Network and want to keep it that way.

Per a tweet from Columbus Dispatch HS sports reporter: said does not expect DeWine to make an announcement today as he and Husted are still working out details of their plan.

Per a tweet from Columbus Dispatch HS sports reporter: said does not expect DeWine to make an announcement today as he and Husted are still working out details of their plan.

Does everyone else get the sense that if it was left to DeWine, sports would already be cancelled, and Husted is basically pulling him the other way?

It sounds like he may actually give an informal yes without the order, and he may offer a date which an order and official plan will be in place.

I cant believe you all think they are going to come out and talk about a decision this big. It will probably be in some health department order on Thursday night before the first game is suppose to be played. Something to keep in mind, Saturday marks 2 weeks that teams have been together practicing everyday. I'm sure they would like to have a full two week sample of how things are going to see what happens next.

I cant believe you all think they are going to come out and talk about a decision this big. It will probably be in some health department order on Thursday night before the first game is suppose to be played. Something to keep in mind, Saturday marks 2 weeks that teams have been together practicing everyday. I'm sure they would like to have a full two week sample of how things are going to see what happens next.
Teams have been practicing since June

What in the heck are you talking about?

[/QUOTE]

you say What the heck am I talking about? The BIG PICTURE... not trying to be an alarmist or doomsdayer or insult anyone on here.... just trying to educate anyone who needs to see this is bigger than Football, or all sports. If you look around at other post you will see some have posted the real numbers as well, not the panic mode ones DeWine and others use to squash our kids future with. We want our society back.

Does everyone else get the sense that if it was left to DeWine, sports would already be cancelled, and Husted is basically pulling him the other way?
No. I've not listened to DeWine much but have hear him talk about the importance of HS sports more that once. JUst two days ago he talked about the importance of providing teenagers with something positive to do and the importance of HS football specifically.

Agreed - could you imagine being an AD working likely all day and night to finalize a schedule and then he cancels, or even worse, delays the timeline. Completely wasted work.

Soccer starts next week, make a damn call.
Having talked with half a dozen league commissioners I can tell you with certainty that re-configuring schedules has been one of the easier tasks.