Cross County Conference 2020 Season

ex_dc_atc

I didn't see a thread for this upcoming season in the CCC. What are the expectations for the league for this season? Predictions for the standings? Any schools potentially not having fall sports or football?

1. Fort Loramie..

2. Covington..

3. Arcanum
4. Miami East
5. National Trail..

6. Ansonia
7. Mississinawa Valley..

8. Tri-Village
9. Bethel..

10. Twin Valley South
11. Tri County North
12. Bradford

the gaps in the text are here for a reason.

1. Fort Loramie..

2. Covington..

3. Arcanum
4. Miami East
5. National Trail..

6. Ansonia
7. Mississinawa Valley..

8. Tri-Village
9. Bethel..

10. Twin Valley South
11. Tri County North
12. Bradford

Looks pretty accurate. Any of the schools grouped together could flip flop within that group but definitely not moving up a tier.

1. Fort Loramie..

2. Covington..

3. Arcanum
4. Miami East
5. National Trail..

6. Ansonia
7. Mississinawa Valley..

8. Tri-Village
9. Bethel..

10. Twin Valley South
11. Tri County North
12. Bradford

I imagine this is fairly accurate but am not extremely aware of what everyone brings back in the CCC this year. Has Miami East really fallen down that much behind FL and Covington? It's impressive to see Mississinawa Valley expected to see success again in football. My only other question would be how many kids Bradford expects to have? I know they ran on the bare minimum last year.

I imagine this is fairly accurate but am not extremely aware of what everyone brings back in the CCC this year. Has Miami East really fallen down that much behind FL and Covington? It's impressive to see Mississinawa Valley expected to see success again in football. My only other question would be how many kids Bradford expects to have? I know they ran on the bare minimum last year.
Miami East- they’ve taken a step back but will absolutely be a top 4 team in the league still, but probably a 3 score game with Covington

Mississinawa Valley- they’ve lost some to graduation that i’m aware of but i don’t think they take a large step back

Bradford- they didn’t win any last year but the coach appears to have them going in the right direction. goal should be in the 20’s this year

1. Fort Loramie..

2. Covington..

3. Arcanum
4. Miami East
5. National Trail..

6. Ansonia
7. Mississinawa Valley..

8. Tri-Village
9. Bethel..

10. Twin Valley South
11. Tri County North
12. Bradford

Looks pretty good with one possible exception, Bethel. They have gotten so large one of these years they will surprise people with a team that is actually pretty good. Based on last year I wont argue this is the year for them, but sometime soon.......

1. Fort Loramie..

2. Covington..

3. Arcanum
4. Miami East
5. National Trail..

6. Ansonia
7. Mississinawa Valley..

8. Tri-Village
9. Bethel..

10. Twin Valley South
11. Tri County North
12. Bradford

The only thing I would change GHS would be lumping Tri-Village with Ansonia and Miss Valley and lumping Bethel with North, South, and Bradford.

Bethel is bound to have a decent year soon enough. i don’t think they are bottom tier this year. they were kinda the wild card in all this so i threw them in with tri village

They need to get the culture built at Bethel. It’s been bad for along time. Pytel was the last really successful coach there.

Totally agree. If I were a young head coach looking to start somewhere, Bethel would be very enticing right now. Moving to a new league, seeing the school and community grow, coupled with realistic standards of expectations. To me, it should be on the verge of some very nice things. They have athletes at Bethel too, always have. When I was in high school, a long time ago (1997) Bethel lost in the DIV State Championship game in baseball. They've had good basketball teams over the years. Etc., Etc.

Totally agree. If I were a young head coach looking to start somewhere, Bethel would be very enticing right now. Moving to a new league, seeing the school and community grow, coupled with realistic standards of expectations. To me, it should be on the verge of some very nice things. They have athletes at Bethel too, always have. When I was in high school, a long time ago (1997) Bethel lost in the DIV State Championship game in baseball. They've had good basketball teams over the years. Etc., Etc.
a few years back they had some very strong classes in football and basketball. I think 2017 they made the playoffs with Clodfelter?

Really happy to see how Mississinawa take steps in the right direction (even though they might take a step back this season.)

Coach Trobridge's hard work is really paying off. Steve's a great guy and happy to see him give hope to the community. If there's a town that needs hope... it's Union City (both sides.)

Numbers - How is the turnout this fall? Up, down, the same? Also wondering if the covid was doing anything to affect rosters.

There was another thread posted, but it's pretty outdated. I posted these predictions, and I'm sticking with them. As for the numbers, I don't really expect the numbers to be affected much in the CCC. I have heard that TVS has 40+ kids again this year, so that's a good sign.

My predictions for this year....
1) Fort Loramie - won't get much of a test this season from CCC teams...
2) Covington - lost a lot but they will reload and still be the 2nd best team.
3,4 & 5) Arcanum/Ansonia/Miami East - I think all of these schools will be decent this year.
6 & 7) Tri Village/Trail - Trail has been getting better as a program. Tri Village is my ultimate wildcard team. They went 5-5 last year and had a bunch of young guys. I think the Sarver kid at QB is a very good player.
8,9 & 10) TCN/MV/Bethel - MV had a great year last year, but I believe they lost a lot. I hope they continuing playing well, but I need to see it to believe it. TCN has the Stinson kid at QB, but they have been really struggling. Bethel should have the kids, but they have also struggled the last few years.
11) Twin Valley South - New coach, and not a lot of talent in the system.
12) Bradford - I hope they can start being more competitive. I felt like they were last year some.

Sort of the typical type of year in the CCC. Generally you have a top tier with 2-3 teams. A wide middle tier with fairly similar teams. Then the bottom tier which can be pretty rough depending on the year. It actually looks like that middle tier could be better than usual in those terms. If I had to choose, I'm mostly surprised that Miami East has moved from a pretty standard top 3 team to somewhere in the middle group. The other surprise to me would be how poor Bethel looks to finish. Again, that school should simply compete better against schools they face in the CCC. If all else, simply due to size of the schools.

A couple more comments... I don't count Miami East out as the 3rd best team. I think Arcanum may challenge them this year. I will stress again that I think Tri Village will be a team to watch this year... I think they will be improved from their 5-5 team last year. I actually think Trail and MV could take a step back. Not to the bottom, but just not as good as last year. MV lost a lot, and Trail lost the Lane kid who is one of the best overall athletes they've had in that school in the last 20 years, plus the Woodall kid. Bethel is sort of a wildcard to me too. I feel like they should be better but I watched TVS beat them last year when we were a very bad football team. That surprised me...

That furthers my surprise on ME. But, it happens from time to time too, even to consistent programs. Tri-Village is a team that could score points but struggled a lot on defense last season. But if you return a decent amount of talent, and can score, that's definitely a recipe to be competitive and improve.

Tri-Village is a team that could score points but struggled a lot on defense last season. But if you return a decent amount of talent, and can score, that's definitely a recipe to be competitive and improve.
Tri-Village is still a newer football program. They'll get there eventually. But to make the playoffs would be monumental for that program. Even if they run into the 3 juggernauts in R28, it's still a great place to start.

Tri-Village is still a newer football program. They'll get there eventually. But to make the playoffs would be monumental for that program. Even if they run into the 3 juggernauts in R28, it's still a great place to start.

Agreed. That first trip to the post season is always a special one.

Any CCC teams open week 9? Number of SWBL schools have open dates due to Dixie deciding to cancel football this fall. That’s the last word I heard anyway.

Everyone is sleeping on TCN don't be surprised if they win 7. Just saying they have a lot of talent and with the right coach they can easily win 7. There was no reason last years team only had 1 win at worst I had them at 5. The coach was not a good hire from the start and I have a feeling the new coach will be a major upgrade. One thing is for sure they will not be a bottom team.

Realistically, still not a quality team.
Not impressed with them at all last year. Long way away.

Realistically, still not a quality team.
I agree completely but every new program needs to start somewhere. Not every new program is going to be Anna or Fort Loramie. Getting beat by Marion Local 63-0 or something in the first round is still something they can build off of. Do I think they'll actually make the playoffs this season? No not really, but when the 12 per region playoffs start next year, you might see them at some point in the future.

I'm not completely counting TCN out, but I'm still unsure how many wins TCN get next year. The Stinson kid at QB will be one of the better players in the league and I know their 8th grade class was really good. The one thing that hurts TCN is their schedule. I see no way they get to 7 wins next season. Brookville as a non league will be a loss... Dayton Christian also as a non league game and they made the playoffs last year. Then you add in the fact that they play Covington, Fort Loramie and Miami East. Those will all be tough games... plus they also play Arcanum and Ansonia. 5-5 next season would be a nice rebound year before opening up play in the new conference.

The one thing I will say about that middle tier group this year, in reality, there are probably a lot of wins to be had there. But again, there's a reason that you've lumped them all together, they're very similar. I would expect the likes of Arcanum, Ansonia, Miami East, Tri-Village, National Trail, Mississinawa Valley, etc. end up with very similar records. Maybe we sort of see that middle group develop into a few stronger teams as the season progresses.

Tri Village does not have Covington or Miami East on their schedule next season. I'll count Fort Loramie as a loss and then they have games with Arcanum, Ansonia and Trail. They win one of those and I believe 7-3 is a very reasonable expectation for them this year. That will get them in the playoffs in R28.

As for Miami East, I have nothing bad to say about them. They were down some last year but they are always good. Their 2018 season (2019 graduating class) was exceptional, and is still the only team to beat Fort Loramie since they joined the conference. I don't think they will be that good again until potentially when the Freshman class becomes Juniors/Seniors. Only time will tell.
ME beat FL by 1 in 2017, that is Loramie's only conference loss. The 2018 team lost to FL 21-7

I don't know if you guys got a chance to watch Tri Village last year, but their QB was a stud and he was only a Sophomore. 6'5 and super athletic, he's also their best basketball player and their high jumper that went to state last year. If he keeps improving and you mix in some of the athletes they have that are now Sophomores/Juniors... they could be pretty good. Like I stated they don't have Covington or Miami East on schedule this year, and the QB's Senior year will be in the new conference. With the expanded playoff format, I would not be surprised if they made the playoffs in the next 2 years....
Yes, saw a bad TC team push them all around. That left a bitter taste in my mouth.