Dewine to Announce Football Decision Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-3 people touch the ball every play. Do we take a timeout every play to run a trainer out on the field?

Only allowed one under current protocols.

Some teams are not in a conference = no games allowed? Some are and play 1, 2, 3, or 5 non-league games. How's that fair?

I know some colleges have announced no non-league games. But at the college level non-league usually means a trip by crowded plane or bus and maybe a stay in a motel in another state. At the high school level, a non-league is likely closer than some league games.
For touching the ball, perhaps we have a sanitizer boy much like the water boy, have them run out after each series, I don't know just offering suggestions. Yes, you are right about one player per seat, the Schools would have to take another bus. Still would be worth it because at most Schools, Football pays for most of the other sports offered. As for non conference games, right again. Most Schools don't travel very far during the regular season. Thank you for pointing out the challenges, I was simply spit balling with hopes others would chime in with even better ideals. The bottom line being, if folks can gather in the thousands marching and protesting, we can have a football season with safety precautions put into place.

Teachers work a ton of hours. Up until 10pm working on lesson plans, chasing parents etc. I have over a dozen people in my family and extended family in various roles with education. Ranging from teacher to retired super. I see it first hand and it has been in my life since birth.

The defined pension keeps changing. However I think every worker no matter the job should have a pension. I work a job where the older people have a pension and I do not...that is why younger workers are mercenaries.

There is real money and retirement benefit to be made as a principal or super but those jobs require a time commitment that few are willing or able to make.

Would I tell someone to be a teacher today? Not unless you want to move up. As shown on this board many don't care about teacher safety and just want to send kids to school and not worry about anything until the kid comes home.
I know many teachers and if a teacher is working until 10pm on lessons plans then they are not organized or do not know what they are doing. teaching is a career path like any other. Some people should not be doctors or mechanic because they are not cut for that work. If a teacher is putting in the hours you describe it is their own fault.
Pensions change all the time for working Americans. What they, we, had and what is now was a decreased but it is still very good and better than most. Retirement for education is good and even better if you get into administration.
I would absolutely tell someone to get into teaching if it was a passion for them. If it's not then take another path.

The real financial benefit to teaching comes after you retire at 80% of their top 5 earning years which on average is about a 50,000$ yearly pension. So yeah, their take home while they are teaching may not be what some think it should but you have to realize they are paying into that pension to fund that kind of retirement.

Last edited:
My daughter was a senior softball player this spring. She was 1st team all state as a junior and her team made it farther than they had in 30+ years. She busted her butt all year (personal trainer, pitching lessons, travel ball) for this upcoming year. She was already committed to college so it was all about doing something at her school that had never been done. She lost out on that and man was it tough, but fortunately she's handled much better than I would have expected. Typically I think kids tend to be more resilient than adults and I think your boy and his friends will surprise you if they lose out. I'm 100% behind the season going forward. I don't want any other kids to deal with what mine went through, but I think most kids while being extremely disappointed will end up being more okay with things in the long run than their parents will because we understand what they missed out on a little better than they do.
My heart breaks for your Daughter. I have two boys, one is 17 and entering his Senior year and looking forward to his Senior season. My Second Son is 18, he graduated the class of 2020 without graduation ceremonies, prom, or parties. They had a virtual graduation, and he was the valedictorian. He also left for AIT 4 days after graduation, still at Fort leonardwood. I know on the surface these kids are more resilient than credit given, but down deep, I know missing out with important milestones in their life set deep in their sole. Please send my support to your Daughter, and prayers her dreams come true playing in college and beyond.

For touching the ball, perhaps we have a sanitizer boy much like the water boy, have them run out after each series, I don't know just offering suggestions. Yes, you are right about one player per seat, the Schools would have to take another bus. Still would be worth it because at most Schools, Football pays for most of the other sports offered. As for non conference games, right again. Most Schools don't travel very far during the regular season. Thank you for pointing out the challenges, I was simply spit balling with hopes others would chime in with even better ideals. The bottom line being, if folks can gather in the thousands marching and protesting, we can have a football season with safety precautions put into place.
I gotcha.

People have been thinking about it, but it's football. It's not safe to stand within 6 feet of someone on the sideline, but it is safe to block and tackle and end up in a dog-pile every other play breathing on each other?

No.

Last edited:
Good Lord. Cry me a river. Teachers in my district start at around 45K and make up to 80K with perks that most of us normal workers could only dream of.

If you or your family doesn't like it.......GET OUT. Kids deserve better than your pompous attitude towards them and their parents. And no.

TEACHERS ARE NOT EXEMPT. We all work. Why wouldn't they?

You're crying about someone having to go back to work and do their job. Yep. That's what the taxpayer money is for! If you don't want them to go to school while we all work, then please. Have your wife donate her salary back to the state taxpayers.
Remote learning does require teachers to work which is similar to what me and a lot of friends are still doing. Working from home. Hopefully people get it together and put a mask on and social distance so we can see a decrease in numbers over the next few weeks

No disrespect but this has happened to a large segment of our population not just people in the education field.
I completely agree, the health insurance industry is completely messed up.

All I know is I work way less hours now than when I taught, have equivalent health insurance where the premiums have increased in small increments, and I get paid quite a bit more. I spend more time with my kids than when I taught too, so it's been a great switch for me personally.

BrownandGold, NewOldBlood - I have a son who was the starting varsity tailback at the beginning of his jr season a few years ago - it didn't go so well and he was playing jv by mid-season. Painful experience for him.

But he hung in there and was a starter on d as a senior on a good team. Being selected honorable mention all-league was a big deal for him. I believe the experience was a real boost for him - it toughened him up, made him realize the value of hard work and how to handle disappointment, and the modest accolades he received felt good. He and numerous other kids are examples of the benefits that school sports provide, and they're why I'm so strongly in favor of not cutting sports unless the circumstances are considerably more direful than they currently seem to be.

NewOldBlood - sorry to hear about your daughter - good luck to her in future endeavors.

deaths.jpg

There are 9,000,000 people under the age of 19 in California and zero deaths. Let these kids play sports. They are more likely die falling down your basement steps. These are the numbers and the facts. Children under 14 are 7 times more likely to be hospitalized from influenza.

All I know is I work way less hours now than when I taught, have equivalent health insurance where the premiums have increased in small increments, and I get paid quite a bit more. I spend more time with my kids than when I taught too, so it's been a great switch for me personally.
That all sounds great! Is your employer looking to hire more teachers? I have solid language skills and know a lot about the Revolutionary War and Civil War.

Are those skills in high demand at your place? If so, sign me up for an interview pronto!!!

The real financial benefit to teaching comes after you retire at 80% of their top 5 earning years which on average is about a 50,000$ yearly pension. So yeah, their take home while they are teaching may not be what some think it should but you have to realize they are paying into that pension to fund that kind of retirement.
Very true. And let us not forget the retire/rehire factor whereas there is a perk to work past the 30 or 35 years. There are people in their mid to upper 50s that are collecting pension and working for max salary at the same time. Oh how rough it is.

Don't get me wrong. I feel my school district has some of the greatest teachers in the state. However, it has become abundantly clear that those fighting a reopening of schools and sports on Yappi, in a large faction, have an agenda whereas they are either teachers, in the family of teachers, or simply don't have kids. In all three cases, somehow their lives are miserable because they have to work, have a spouse that needs to go to work, or are keyboard warriors without a clue of how "virtual learning" effected everyday Americans and the kids. While our teachers poured their hearts into virtual learning in the spring, it was nearly a joke for the kids to get an effective education online because in person learning, socialization, and adult contact/authority outside the home is so precious to growing minds.

I completely agree, the health insurance industry is completely messed up.

What you discovered is maybe you were not supposed to be in teaching or you have found a very lucrative job. IF you are required to work less hours than a teacher.

... it has become abundantly clear that those fighting a reopening of schools and sports on Yappi ... are either teachers, in the family of teachers ...
I'm a public school teacher and strongly support the regular school experience and school sports. I haven't accurately tallied the position taken by yappi posters who are teachers (or spouses of one), but I think the media is exaggerating the number of teachers who are afraid and fighting against regular school.

The media doesn't care to hear what a teacher like me thinks because my let's-just-be-same-as-usual position on the matter draws a yawn from readers, so the numerous teachers like me are underrepresented in the reporting.

At least I hope so!!

I haven't read through this whole thread but what I think DeWine was telling us yesterday is that he is trying to encourage us to do everything possible to slow the spread of this virus but if he doesn't see any changes, he will be shutting alot of stuff down including Fall sports. Kind of the gentle approach with a future hammer.

Where are you coming up with this formula for retirement pension. Prior to 2016 ...it was your average of your 3 highest Salaries and then you would take a percentage for your pension amount . At 30 years you received like 67% of that salary number . Then for the next 4 years one would add about 2.5 percent for each year. So if you retired after 34 years the percentage would be around 77. So if you averaged $100,000 in 3 highest years , the pension started at $77,000 a year. Then when you went 35 years one would receive an 11% additional bump. So I teach 35 years and my pension is 88% of that salary number . So of course most teachers would try for 35 years as that increase is large . Think about it $88,000 a year to start with for life before including through the years cost of living raises. Great pension. That has changed . I dont have all the facts but 35 years is minimum now for 67% and some age requirement. I don’t believe there is anywhere where this 80% number exists anymore. I could be wrong. Most teachers that teach in metropolitan city areas are finishing up with salaries between $90,000 and $105,000.

That all sounds great! Is your employer looking to hire more teachers? I have solid language skills and know a lot about the Revolutionary War and Civil War.

Are those skills in high demand at your place? If so, sign me up for an interview pronto!!!
I'll inquire, are you good with commuting to the NKY area?

What you discovered is maybe you were not supposed to be in teaching or you have found a very lucrative job. IF you are required to work less hours than a teacher.
Ok, so bad teachers work few hours. The good ones, even the most organized are pouring in ungodly hours to do everything as best they can.

I know many teachers and if a teacher is working until 10pm on lessons plans then they are not organized or do not know what they are doing. teaching is a career path like any other. Some people should not be doctors or mechanic because they are not cut for that work. If a teacher is putting in the hours you describe it is their own fault.
Pensions change all the time for working Americans. What they, we, had and what is now was a decreased but it is still very good and better than most. Retirement for education is good and even better if you get into administration.
I would absolutely tell someone to get into teaching if it was a passion for them. If it's not then take another path.
Have you taught before? Wondering when you lesson planned? Ever teach, then coach, then go home and spend time with spouse and kids, then lesson plan... which may keep you up until 10 if kids go bed between 8-9 pm.

But go ahead, tell me how you would organize as a teacher... you seem like an expert...

Have you taught before? Wondering when you lesson planned? Ever teach, then coach, then go home and spend time with spouse and kids, then lesson plan... which may keep you up until 10 if kids go bed between 8-9 pm.

But go ahead, tell me how you would organize as a teacher... you seem like an expert...
Bingo, 10 was an early night, and I'm insanely organized.

Where are you coming up with this formula for retirement pension. Prior to 2016 ...it was your average of your 3 highest Salaries and then you would take a percentage for your pension amount . At 30 years you received like 67% of that salary number . Then for the next 4 years one would add about 2.5 percent for each year. So if you retired after 34 years the percentage would be around 77. So if you averaged $100,000 in 3 highest years , the pension started at $77,000 a year. Then when you went 35 years one would receive an 11% additional bump. So I teach 35 years and my pension is 88% of that salary number . So of course most teachers would try for 35 years as that increase is large . Think about it $88,000 a year to start with for life before including through the years cost of living raises. Great pension. That has changed . I dont have all the facts but 35 years is minimum now for 67% and some age requirement. I don’t believe there is anywhere where this 80% number exists anymore. I could be wrong. Most teachers that teach in metropolitan city areas are finishing up with salaries between $90,000 and $105,000.
Gotta be 35 years and 60 years old to collect pension.

Lotta retired teachers who got the higher percentage off of their 3 best earning years. Not the case anymore, plus lots of living retired teachers still collecting.

No new information today, per say.

Husted said he was working directly with schools and the OHSAA, but no decision has been made yet.

Oh no, bring work home with you as a teacher....the humanity. Never happens in any other profession.....

Get over yourself.
Many a family member are teachers, wanna say nearly 75 yrs between the 3, and the hours required to be a successful teacher pale in comparison to those in the real world.

I'm currently on leave at work, but still expected to work while on vacation.

When my brother complained of working a couple weekends early in the shutdown I had to kindly remind him that is a requirement in many jobs

Don't give me the whoa is me attitude with teacher's hours........

web1_EdEZ0GMXkAELPlL.jpg

As best as I can tell off-hand, the following counties were added "Level 3": Allen, Athens, Delaware, Licking, Richland and Union.

Not good.

(Always interesting to notice which counties recently added to the list are the counties of COVID-truthing posters. I see that Richland made it.)

Last edited:
Oh no, bring work home with you as a teacher....the humanity. Never happens in any other profession.....

Get over yourself.
Many a family member are teachers, wanna say nearly 75 yrs between the 3, and the hours required to be a successful teacher pale in comparison to those in the real world.

When my brother complained of working a couple weekends early in the shutdown I had to kindly remind him that is a requirement in many jobs

I am not, but what I am saying is if you are going to say if someone is lesson planning until 10, how do you know they are unorganized.
Bringing work home as a teacher comes with the territory, I would say most know that is the case.
You took it a totally different way.

I do not complain teachers are over or under worked, but I grew up with with a parent as a teacher who coached, and they lesson planned after we went to bed and graded papers then as well, when it was quiet. They were not unorganized because of it, that was the point I was making.

I think most people work while on vacation in some capacity, I know I do

web1_EdEZ0GMXkAELPlL.jpg

As best as I can tell off-hand, the following counties were added "Level 3": Allen, Athens, Delaware, Licking, Richland and Union.

Not good.

(Always interesting to notice which counties recently added to the list are the counties of COVID-truthing posters. I see that Richland made it.)
Trumbull County out of the red. Back up to level 2.
GOOD!! Lol

Get over yourself.

Teachers complaining about their hours is somewhat amusing. I respect the heck out of teachers.....the good ones at least but every weekend off, every holiday off, summers off, Christmas break off, yeah. My job, many guys are scheduled 12-16 hrs a day 6-7 days a week AND we have worked throughout this whole pandemic. 700 of us, many of whom would be considered to be in the high risk category of getting the virus, are able to go to work everyday. We have had exactly 1 person test positive and he got it from his elderly grandparents very early on in March. I chuckle when I read some of these posts on here from the teachers and their fears about going back to work.

Starting to get the feeling they delay the first week of the season to the Week of Labor Day and play an 8 game season with playoffs.

I see some schools pushing back start days for kids until the end of August, which makes me feel like this could be a likely scenario.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.