Dewine to Announce Football Decision Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound familiar?

“It is a mess, and we have no leadership from the NCAA. It’s a damn joke.” We talked to almost two dozen coaches as they try and size up college football’s potential options to having a season in the 2020-21 academic year:

Another good article
Mason saying 30% will start year with remote learning. I am hearing similar and higher numbers in other SW Ohio Districts

People do not have to go to open places if they do not want to. It is a choice to go to a place and eat, shop or whatever else. Kids have to go to school there is no choice to not attend school if they open the buildings. Yes you can home school, but how many people realistically will do that. It is the districts responsibility to provide a place that students and parents feel safe to send their kids. Why do you think they started locking doors to keep the public out. Not only that, but the schools do not want to be held accountable if someone gets sick in their building or at one of their functions. It only takes one kid or staff member to die from this to really put a district in a lot of trouble. There will be lawyers lining up down the street to represent that family.
Bingo! Why is it so hard for doom and gloomers to get that! And yes. Most districts opening up are offering some sort of virtual alternative. It is their way of saying if you in any way believe the school is unsafe, don't send them. We will provide you virtual material. So......leave the lawyers at home. The parents can waive the right to in person school.

People do not have to go to open places if they do not want to. It is a choice to go to a place and eat, shop or whatever else. Kids have to go to school there is no choice to not attend school if they open the buildings. ...

It only takes one kid or staff member to die from this to really put a district in a lot of trouble. There will be lawyers lining up down the street to represent that family.
You bring up some good points and I agree that schools will be in hot water if it appears they were careless and someone dies.

And yes, people don't have to go to Kroger, Wal-mart, the styling salon, etc. like kids and teachers will have to go to school. But the fact is, nearly everyone is going to those public places and coming into contact with others. So kids and adults coming together at school, while a risk, is probably not a new, clearly elevated risk to anyone.

And there's simply some inherent risk in numerous things we do. I'm amazed at the hullabaloo over the 'dire threat' the virus supposedly poses when traffic fatalities are a much bigger issue for healthy people. No one seems to be ranting about lowering the speed limit to 12 mph even though it seems this would annually save tens of thousands of lives of healthy people, allowing them to live for decades more. Why can people readily accept trade-offs in some areas of life (e.g., high speed limits contribute significantly to fatal traffic accidents), but have a nearly zero-risk attitude toward the virus?

I am 54 and a public school teacher. I am not a reckless Peter-Fonda-in-Easy-Rider type courting attention through a seemingly daring attitude, but I have no fear of returning to the classroom. I know I could contract the virus and get sick, but I believe there's a fairly high likelihood I was already exposed before I ever left my classroom back in mid-March, and have probably been additionally exposed since. And I realize that I am almost certainly in greater danger on my 22-min commute each way (most of which is at 55 mph) than I am from the virus.

I also believe it's going to be really difficult to get students to consistently follow mask and social distancing guidelines on the bus and in the classrooms/hallways/restrooms/cafeteria of the school bc most of them don't seem to care greatly about such precautions. It might be like trying to stop the wind no matter how hard the adults try to monitor it.

Let's take on the tiny extra risk and get kids back in school and extracurriculars. They will benefit greatly.

The
10+ weeks of paid vacation, snow days, fog days, Cadillac insurance at low rates, plus a pension? I’d say they are.
Summer vacation is not paid, teacher elect smaller checks and spread them out. Insurance benefits are getting worse. Pension is getting worse

I say it is a small token for being underpaid and under appreciated and dealing with crappy kids whose parents think they know everything

10+ weeks of paid vacation, snow days, fog days, Cadillac insurance at low rates, plus a pension? I’d say they are.
Public school teachers are not paid for doing nothing in the summer - 1/4 of our pay throughout the 9+ month school year is held back and given to us during the summer months. And as GLAT posted, the premiums for the once-awesome insurance plans have increased a lot lately (still a good deal for teachers - but not what it once was).

And 14% of a teacher's pay goes toward the pension. Other than Social Security (which we don't pay), teachers pay all other local, state, and federal taxes.

I do not know the current number, but only three years ago my district's starting salary for a full-time teacher was under $39,000. After the pension payment and all other taxes, and college debt payment, the young teachers probably struggle.

Public school teachers certainly don't have it bad (I am not complaining), but not many of us own property on Martha's Vineyard either. I have worked most summers (usually part-time) to supplement my teaching income and live a frugal lifestyle.

Last edited:
The

Summer vacation is not paid, teacher elect smaller checks and spread them out. Insurance benefits are getting worse. Pension is getting worse

I say it is a small token for being underpaid and under appreciated and dealing with crappy kids whose parents think they know everything

It's great that we have a country where you can choose what profession you would like to pursue. Same goes for being able to choose the amount of risk you are willing to take by leaving your house - wait, check that second one...

The

Haha! That's just sad. If that's what your wife brings home (or you) from teaching, then you don't belong in schools anyway.

Public school teachers are not paid for doing nothing in the summer - 1/4 of our pay throughout the 9+ month school year is held back and given to us during the summer months. And as GLAT posted, the premiums for the once-awesome insurance plans have grown a lot lately (still a good deal for teachers - but not what it once was).

And 14% of a teacher's pay goes toward the pension. Other than Social Security (which we don't pay), teachers pay all other local, state, and federal taxes.

I do not know the current number, but only three years ago my district's starting salary for a full-time teacher was under $39,000. After the pension payment and all other taxes, and college debt payment, the young teachers probably struggle.

Public school teachers certainly don't have it bad (I am not complaining), but not many of us own property on Martha's Vineyard either. I have worked most summers (usually part-time) to supplement my teaching income and live a frugal lifestyle.
I know I always worked over the summer when I taught and I know very few teachers who don't have other jobs/side hustles. The ones that didn't had a spouse that was making big bucks. The issue with COVID is the side hustle job is not happening right now for many as they were selling beer at the Reds games, running summer camps, managing the local swim clubs, etc. Those jobs fit perfectly for a teacher's schedule, but with most of those jobs shut down, many teachers are struggling.

As pointed out, the insurance isn't what it used to be at all for most and the demands have grown exponentially over the past decade. For instance, my insurance premium quadrupled in 3 years and benefits shrank, one of the reasons I left teaching.

Everyone has a choice, if teaching was so cushy with so many amazing benefits, there'd be people beating down the door to teach.

The

I realize how teachers are paid and your objection to the 10 weeks vacation characterization is noted. Would you consider teachers part time workers instead? ? The bottom line is that their per diem is still pretty high (once they have some longevity, as noted by CJK), they pay into a very nice defined benefit retirement package that isn’t available to most private sector employees, and their insurance is also better than that of most private sector employees. My point that they are already viewed and compensated as essential workers remains.

Every player wear a mask and stay six feet apart during practice and games.

Use hand sanitizer after every play you touch the ball.
1. Only travel with the appropriate team, Friday night with Varsity, Saturday morning with only JV and so on
2. No band during games
3. All Coaches, Refs, and players on the side lines wear a mask
4. Hand sanitizer after handling the ball
5. Limit fans to 2-4 tickets per player
6. Only two players per seat on the bus for away games
7. Play away teams in conference only, no out of conference games till the play-offs
8. Temperature checks for all players, coaches, refs before and after each game
9. Any player showing signs or a family member of Covid, must be tested and set out till negative test
10. No sharing equipment
11. No hand shaking after the game
12. Players on the side line must maintain 6 feet apart
13. Each player's parents must sign a waiver that football is completely voluntary and will not hold the School responsible.
14. Players dress before the game, return home the same way, limiting the locker room time
15. Possible face shields mounted to helmets
16. Live stream games for fans that wish to follow but feel uneasy about going in person.

Feel if we really want a season, we need to do the right things now, wear the mask, limit larger group settings, and practice social distancing whenever possible. Stop the us vs them - Wear the mask for the next 3-4 weeks so our Governor can see a positive trend. We can impact our season from how we respond the next 3-4 weeks. My Son is a Senior, has been playing tackle football since he was 5. It would break his heart missing his senior season. I hate the mask, but out of doing what I can to have a football season is a small price to pay. #iwantaseason

Last edited:
My Son is a Senior, has been playing tackle football since he was 5. It would break his heart missing his senior season.
While our society often goes a little too far with the I'm-a-victim sob stories (in all areas of life), those sentences of yours are right on the money - not only for your son, but for every sports-minded hs student. The shutting down of fall sports would be truly devastating to a lot of the kids who are hoping to participate - especially the seniors (and to their parents too).

Playing school sports is immensely important to many kids, who are willing to work their butts off nearly year round to make the most of their opportunities in just a single sport. To take that away from them when the benefit to doing so seems minimal would be wrong.

Hopefully we have hs sports that are at least close to normal - and good luck to your son!

Last edited:
I realize how teachers are paid and your objection to the 10 weeks vacation characterization is noted. Would you consider teachers part time workers instead? ? The bottom line is that their per diem is still pretty high (once they have some longevity, as noted by CJK), they pay into a very nice defined benefit retirement package that isn’t available to most private sector employees, and their insurance is also better than that of most private sector employees. My point that they are already viewed and compensated as essential workers remains.
Teachers work a ton of hours. Up until 10pm working on lesson plans, chasing parents etc. I have over a dozen people in my family and extended family in various roles with education. Ranging from teacher to retired super. I see it first hand and it has been in my life since birth.

The defined pension keeps changing. However I think every worker no matter the job should have a pension. I work a job where the older people have a pension and I do not...that is why younger workers are mercenaries.

There is real money and retirement benefit to be made as a principal or super but those jobs require a time commitment that few are willing or able to make.

Would I tell someone to be a teacher today? Not unless you want to move up. As shown on this board many don't care about teacher safety and just want to send kids to school and not worry about anything until the kid comes home.

GLAT - public school teaching is no walk in the park, and a person will certainly not get rich from it.

But in my experience it has not been quite as tough as you make it out to be. Then again, I teach in a district in which nearly every kid comes from a solid family, so maybe I'm spoiled and don't know what it's like in some of the rougher schools. Maybe it's much more difficult in some places than what I have experienced.

Why wait for a shoe to drop. Move forward with the info you have and be positive. At this point the only thing we know is fall practice begins Aug 1 and I am happy for that.

OK why not? Cuz everything else about all this has gone according to plan :LOL:

The press conference is about Senate Bill 4, silly

Of course they see it. It's phase 2 of the shutdown plan. They want this. The 20 something white Bernie Bolsheviks didn't follow the guidelines when they destroyed property (um protested). No masks, no distancing, no concern for the vulnerable and Tom 48 could have cared less. Now those same white lib bernie marxists are heading for testing en masse. Half of them aren't even sick, and most have minor symptoms. They know this will drive the infection count headlines and scare people like BKMK1 again. No context or demographic information just infection count scare numbers.

These libs will stop at nothing, if it costs you your job...........a mere casualty of what must be done. They have to do this to stop Trump and put dementia Joe in the White House. Lord knows he can't win on his own pathetic merits, so psuedo events must be created. We must bow to them again. If this means your kid has to stay home, something completely detrimental to their growth, so be it. No highschool extracirriculars, so be it. The economy is hanging on by a thread and can't take another shut down, oh well. We must continue to follow Lord Fauci the 50 year government employee dem.

How selfish to kick this can down the road, but our liberal and establishiment gods must have this. We should have ripped the bandaid off in March. But they need their death and infection pace to happen slow and last at least thru the election. Sick

While our society often goes a little too far with the I'm-a-victim sob stories (in all areas of life), those sentences of yours are right on the money - not only for your son, but for every sports-minded hs student. The shutting down of fall sports would be truly devastating to a lot of the kids who are hoping to participate - especially the seniors (and to their parents too).

Playing school sports is immensely important to many kids, who are willing to work their butts off nearly year round to make the most of their opportunities in just a single sport. To take that away from them when the benefit to doing so seems minimal would be wrong.

Hopefully we have hs sports that are at least close to normal - and good luck to your son!
Thank you for the kind words. His entire team have been working their tails off during the off season, weight room and agility. Since June they have been practicing, in fact this week they are in camp, Monday-Friday 7:30-12:00. The entire team of 80 players. So far we have seen no issues. I truly feel the mental anxiety and depression of not having a season will affect the players at a much higher percentage than the virus will. These kids are young and healthy, the age group 14-21 has only a .067 fatality rate, or 99+ survival rate showing only flu type systems. I say let these kids play, for the folks that question their safety or of advanced age and in danger of catching the virus - stay home. The Schools could always live stream the games for people that wish to follow but do not feel safe attending the game in person. #iwantaseason

The

1. Only travel with the appropriate team, Friday night with Varsity, Saturday morning with only JV and so on
2. No band during games
3. All Coaches, Refs, and players on the side lines wear a mask
5. Limit fans to 2-4 tickets per player
7. Play away teams in conference only, no out of conference games till the play-offs
8. Temperature checks for all players, coaches, refs before and after each game
9. Any player showing signs or a family member of Covid, must be tested and set out till negative test
10. No sharing equipment
11. No hand shaking after the game
12. Players on the side line must maintain 6 feet apart
13. Each player's parents must sign a waiver that football is completely voluntary and will not hold the School responsible.
14. Players dress before the game, return home the same way, limiting the locker room time
15. Possible face shields mounted to helmets
16. Live stream games for fans that wish to follow but feel uneasy about going in person.

Feel if we really want a season, we need to do the right things now, wear the mask, limit larger group settings, and practice social distancing whenever possible. Stop the us vs them - Wear the mask for the next 3-4 weeks so our Governor can see a positive trend. We can impact our season from how we respond the next 3-4 weeks. My Son is a Senior, has been playing tackle football since he was 5. It would break his heart missing his senior season. I hate the mask, but out of doing what I can to have a football season is a small price to pay. #iwantaseason

I will appease the libs and do my part in your points above so your son can play football. Many won't have any of it and could care less about your son playing. Most are 20 something bernie supporters without kids and half the yappi posters.

Teachers work a ton of hours. Up until 10pm working on lesson plans, chasing parents etc. I have over a dozen people in my family and extended family in various roles with education. Ranging from teacher to retired super. I see it first hand and it has been in my life since birth.

The defined pension keeps changing. However I think every worker no matter the job should have a pension. I work a job where the older people have a pension and I do not...that is why younger workers are mercenaries.

There is real money and retirement benefit to be made as a principal or super but those jobs require a time commitment that few are willing or able to make.

Would I tell someone to be a teacher today? Not unless you want to move up. As shown on this board many don't care about teacher safety and just want to send kids to school and not worry about anything until the kid comes home.

Yep, working is hard. Don't we all know it. Heck, some people might even find themselves working in a field or in a job that isn't what they thought it was going to be. I wonder if there is anything anyone could ever do if they found themselves in this position. Hmmm....

2-3 people touch the ball every play. Do we take a timeout every play to run a trainer out on the field?

Only allowed one under current protocols.

Some teams are not in a conference = no games allowed? Some are and play 1, 2, 3, or 5 non-league games. How's that fair?

I know some colleges have announced no non-league games. But at the college level non-league usually means a trip by crowded plane or bus and maybe a stay in a motel in another state. At the high school level, a non-league is likely closer than some league games.

Last edited:
I will appease the libs and do my part in your points above so your son can play football. Many won't have any of it and could care less about your son playing. Most are 20 something bernie supporters without kids and half the yappi posters.
Thank you, that is so cool. I am with you 100%, This whole Covid thing has many heads and being used for agenda's that have nothing to do with public health. The Government will never let a good crisis go to waste. I hate wearing the mask, it goes against everything I believe in. However if that is what it takes for a season to happen, I will bite my tongue and swallow my pride for my Son's sake and every other young athlete. Thanks again for the reply.

Good Lord. Cry me a river. Teachers in my district start at around 45K and make up to 80K with perks that most of us normal workers could only dream of.

If you or your family doesn't like it.......GET OUT. Kids deserve better than your pompous attitude towards them and their parents. And no.

TEACHERS ARE NOT EXEMPT. We all work. Why wouldn't they?

You're crying about someone having to go back to work and do their job. Yep. That's what the taxpayer money is for! If you don't want them to go to school while we all work, then please. Have your wife donate her salary back to the state taxpayers.

The

I use to teach, so I do value the profession, but teachers are only underpaid when comparing them to a profession that works year round. Most teacher contracts are for 180-190 days of work. When you compare that to someone starting in another profession with two-weeks vacation (pretty standard starting out) that's about 1/3 less days. If a teacher's starting pay was say $35k, that would be the equivalent of someone fresh out of college in just about any other industry being $47k. Not bad in my book. Again, I'm not downplaying teachers. I have a teaching degree and some of my best friends in the world are teachers. Most of them are around 20 years in and are doing just fine financially. They have very little to complain about considering the time off they get and a solid/stable retirement plan even if it is not what it once was.

As pointed out, the insurance isn't what it used to be at all for most and the demands have grown exponentially over the past decade. For instance, my insurance premium quadrupled in 3 years and benefits shrank, one of the reasons I left teaching.

No disrespect but this has happened to a large segment of our population not just people in the education field.

The

Underpaid is a debate all in itself.

Thank you for the kind words. His entire team have been working their tails off during the off season, weight room and agility. Since June they have been practicing, in fact this week they are in camp, Monday-Friday 7:30-12:00. The entire team of 80 players. So far we have seen no issues. I truly feel the mental anxiety and depression of not having a season will affect the players at a much higher percentage than the virus will. These kids are young and healthy, the age group 14-21 has only a .067 fatality rate, or 99+ survival rate showing only flu type systems. I say let these kids play, for the folks that question their safety or of advanced age and in danger of catching the virus - stay home. The Schools could always live stream the games for people that wish to follow but do not feel safe attending the game in person. #iwantaseason

My daughter was a senior softball player this spring. She was 1st team all state as a junior and her team made it farther than they had in 30+ years. She busted her butt all year (personal trainer, pitching lessons, travel ball) for this upcoming year. She was already committed to college so it was all about doing something at her school that had never been done. She lost out on that and man was it tough, but fortunately she's handled much better than I would have expected. Typically I think kids tend to be more resilient than adults and I think your boy and his friends will surprise you if they lose out. I'm 100% behind the season going forward. I don't want any other kids to deal with what mine went through, but I think most kids while being extremely disappointed will end up being more okay with things in the long run than their parents will because we understand what they missed out on a little better than they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.