Summer and travel ball ?

I would think that's generally true most of the time, the pitcher puts the ball around the plate and the infield defense is good enough, batters will get themselves out. Two things that make me cringe as an umpire: pitchers that can't throw strikes, infields that can't make routine plays (good ole "strikes and outs").

To add to things that make me cringe with younger pitchers. Kid just threw two fastballs that the hitter wasn't close to making good contact with... It's now 0-2... here comes the curveball (off speed pitch) not close to the zone... before you know it, its 2-2 or 3-2 and this hitter should of been attacked and challenged on the third pitch... sometimes kids get too cute with pitching... but i remind myself that they are learning.

I think one of the least used combinations of pitches I see that is great is the change up after a curve ball/slider. A lot of younger hitters gear up for fastball after an off speed. A good change up there is a nice follow up to the (Curve/slider)

Definitely that way when I played all community based and we could practice at a park that we could walk or ride our bike too. We had one dad who was teacher and he would run practice during the day so that field availability would not be an issue.
I think this is why I see less solid fundamentally sound TEAMS. You just cannot have that foundation without PFP and endless situational practice with your teammates.
Just so frustrating to see the lack
To add to things that make me cringe with younger pitchers. Kid just threw two fastballs that the hitter wasn't close to making good contact with... It's now 0-2... here comes the curveball (off speed pitch) not close to the zone... before you know it, its 2-2 or 3-2 and this hitter should of been attacked and challenged on the third pitch... sometimes kids get too cute with pitching... but i remind myself that they are learning.

I think one of the least used combinations of pitches I see that is great is the change up after a curve ball/slider. A lot of younger hitters gear up for fastball after an off speed. A good change up there is a nice follow up to the (Curve/slider)
Probably the coach micro managing and calling pitches.

Thank God our coaches didn't call pitches.

Where was their plate umpire? Behind the catcher or the pitcher? I have 6 games this weekend scheduled and was told we are behind the pitcher and wearing a mask is now optional.
That is what I saw. Everybody was super patient with the umps and they called a good game from behind the pitcher.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, there was a ton of bunting. I mean almost every inning by both teams. I really started laughing about it. I knew one of the coaches from a previous season and so I said hi to him and asked about all the bunting. He said, if the kids can't hit, they have to bunt. I gave him a hard time about it. It was all in good fun.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, there was a ton of bunting. I mean almost every inning by both teams. I really started laughing about it. I knew one of the coaches from a previous season and so I said hi to him and asked about all the bunting. He said, if the kids can't hit, they have to bunt. I gave him a hard time about it. It was all in good fun.
Lack of PFP to effectively make the right plays can lead to more bunts as well. Some teams we could have a field day with bunting, others not so much so we move on to something else. A good bunt against a team who does a piss poor job defensively is like stealing candy from a baby

I think this is why I see less solid fundamentally sound TEAMS. You just cannot have that foundation without PFP and endless situational practice with your teammates.
Just so frustrating to see the lack

Probably the coach micro managing and calling pitches.

Thank God our coaches didn't call pitches.

From my experience, it appears to be when the kids (Pitcher/Catcher) are working together without guidance. They want to get cute and strike a kid out with their curve ball or slider when there is no need for that when they overpowered the hitter with his first two pitches.

From my experience, it appears to be when the kids (Pitcher/Catcher) are working together without guidance. They want to get cute and strike a kid out with their curve ball or slider when there is no need for that when they overpowered the hitter with his first two pitches.
I've seen plenty of coaches calling pitches who are more clueless than the pitchers and catchers.

When I was coaching there were often times that pitcher and or catcher had faced that hitter before and knew him better than I did.

Coaches should let the pitchers and catchers call the game. Teach and instruct between innings and after games.

It is not rocket science.

I subscribe to the theory that any pitch, in any situation, can be the right pitch if it is located properly.

Some people think that the hitters are just stupid and do not think. The hitter has his process too. , 2 FB blow by him, hitter likely should be looking for it so if a CB is thrown it takes him by surprise.

It's more about the pitcher not hitting the spots more than the pitch selection.

Give players more credit. When they call their own pitches they take ownership. Plus, especially nowadays, that coach probably doesn't know that pitcher as well as you would think.

I've seen plenty of coaches calling pitches who are more clueless than the pitchers and catchers.

When I was coaching there were often times that pitcher and or catcher had faced that hitter before and knew him better than I did.

Coaches should let the pitchers and catchers call the game. Teach and instruct between innings and after games.

I subscribe to the theory that any pitch, in any situation, can be the right pitch if it is located properly.

Some people think that the hitters are just stupid and do not think. The hitter has his process too. , 2 FB blow by him, hitter likely should be looking for it so if a CB is thrown it takes him by surprise.

It's more about the pitcher not hitting the spots more than the pitch selection.

Give players more credit. When they call their own pitches they take ownership. Plus, especially nowadays, that coach probably doesn't know that pitcher as well as you would think.
Give the catchers some guidance like "don't throw the same pitch in the same place three time in a row and look at me with men on first (for a pick off now and then)" and let them go. I have found the game moves faster and it is just plain more funner if you let the kids call the game.

Coached BB for about 15 years as well before I became an umpire. Been around the game in many capacities for many many years myself. My initial point was I cringe when I see a pitcher have a distinct advantage after two pitches. Has the hitter 0-2, thinks to himself that I want to trick this kid with a curve ball (Not many can drop it in for a strike consistently when young), then before you know it, it's 2-2 or 3-2 and it shouldn't of even got this far. I see it a lot umpiring now and it's frustrating to see as a baseball person.

Give the catchers some guidance like "don't throw the same pitch in the same place three time in a row and look at me with men on first (for a pick off now and then)" and let them go. I have found the game moves faster and it is just plain more funner if you let the kids call the game.
Pitch execution over pitch selection.

I give the kids and the pitchers a few sumple rules.

1. Best pitch in baseball is a first pitch strike.
2. Live in the bottom of the zone.
3. Never show up the umpire.

Follow those simple rules and you will have a successful outing.

For the 10yrs at the HS level I kept that simple stat of how often a batter reaxhse base If the first pitch was a ball, or strike. If I recall it was like 12% of it was a first pitcher strike, and 25% or so if it was a ball. Because most kids don't wanna jump on the first pitch you can usually afford to get a lot of the plate on that pitch.

Pitch execution over pitch selection.

I give the kids and the pitchers a few sumple rules.

1. Best pitch in baseball is a first pitch strike.
2. Live in the bottom of the zone.
3. Never show up the umpire.

Follow those simple rules and you will have a successful outing.

For the 10yrs at the HS level I kept that simple stat of how often a batter reaxhse base If the first pitch was a ball, or strike. If I recall it was like 12% of it was a first pitcher strike, and 25% or so if it was a ball. Because most kids don't wanna jump on the first pitch you can usually afford to get a lot of the plate on that pitch.

I adapted the approach of the third pitch is the most important. A first pitch strike is important and nice to get, but I would tell pitchers not to worry if it doesn't happen. It's that third pitch (If you get there that is key in many ways). I also like kids to attack a hitter and trust his defense as much as possible. Being an umpire, if you are around the zone consistently, much easier to get those borderline pitches called a strike.

I've said quietly to catchers as an umpire to call time and go talk to your pitcher because his body language (Showing up an umpire) isn't helping his cause. Little game management thing to do that doesn't show up a kid and no one really knows it happened.

I adapted the approach of the third pitch is the most important. A first pitch strike is important and nice to get, but I would tell pitchers not to worry if it doesn't happen. It's that third pitch (If you get there that is key in many ways). I also like kids to attack a hitter and trust his defense as much as possible. Being an umpire, if you are around the zone consistently, much easier to get those borderline pitches called a strike.

I've said quietly to catchers as an umpire to call time and go talk to your pitcher because his body language (Showing up an umpire) isn't helping his cause. Little game management thing to do that doesn't show up a kid and no one really knows it happened.
All pitches are important, but the first is the most.

It sets up the whole at bat from the start.

There is a philosophy out there with some pitching coaches and I think that it is a nice goal and that is try to get a result in 3 pitches. A first pitch strike is important to meet this goal. The idea is to keep the pitch count down so that pitchers can last longer in the game. Like "the voice" mentioned earlier: most hitters are not jumping on the first pitch, especially early in the game.

All pitches are important, but the first is the most.

It sets up the whole at bat from the start.

Different ways to skin a cat I suppose. I just never let my pitchers worry about a first pitch and just focused on the first three as a combination. We want the ball in play by then, the count to be 1-2 or a strikeout. Worst case scenario is that third pitch needs to be a strike to get to 2-1. 3-0+ are pitching "No-no's", but they obviously happen.

It seems like there are so many kids that automatically will not swing at that first pitch, that it needs to be a strike. Actually drives me crazy when a kid takes a fast ball strike one. Usual scenario in a league game - he won't see another fast ball in the strike zone.

It seems like there are so many kids that automatically will not swing at that first pitch, that it needs to be a strike. Actually drives me crazy when a kid takes a fast ball strike one. Usual scenario in a league game - he won't see another fast ball in the strike zone.

I have seen that at times, then it's up to the coach and kids to talk as they are hopefully paying attention that the pitcher seems to be "Grooving" that first pitch. Take advantage!

Get ahead and the pitcher is in command.
Many kids dont like to swing at the first pitch, especially their first AB against a pitcher.

If a team catches on and starts to really swing at the first pitch, and getting hits, then you adjust and get a little more nasty with that first pitch.

The stats dont lie. I did my own research of it with the teams I coached.

Over a 10 year period, if a pitcher threw a first pitch ball it DOUBLED the % of him getting on base compared to a first pitch strike. That is all i need to see to subscribe to it.

We keep those stats. Last year, which wasn't a good year for us pitching wise, we threw 51% first pitch strikes. 66% of those resulted in an out. Half a % walked. Less than 2% got hits.

Out
We keep those stats. Last year, which wasn't a good year for us pitching wise, we threw 51% first pitch strikes. 66% of those resulted in an out. Half a % walked. Less than 2% got hits.
Ouch.

51% first pitch strikes wont get it done.

We always strove for a MIN of 60%, preferably as close as 65% as possible.

A first pitch strike is T H E most important pitch. When we had pitchers who bought in, and didnt try to nibble or be nasty on that first pitch, they had success. Plain and simple.

If they swing and make contact on the first pitch...the law of averages states they make outs much more than they get hits!

Where was their plate umpire? Behind the catcher or the pitcher? I have 6 games this weekend scheduled and was told we are behind the pitcher and wearing a mask is now optional.
I've watched 8 games so far (8u, 9u, three 10u, 12u, 14u, 15u). Every game had the umpire behind home plate at regular distance, except one 10u game, but it looked like they had an umpire not show and a parent called the game from behind the pitcher. Of the 7 umpired games, 5 umpires wore masks, both 10u umpires had no mask. Social distancing was happening by both teams and spectators except the 10u games. Basically, the people at all the 10u games I watched were just back to business as usual. Those games also had the most people at them.

I went to 2 locations and watched four games today. All umpires were in their normal positions. No masks. Everybody was seemed to be practicing social distancing. Very sunny and a bad sunburn for me.

It was business as usual at our tourny other than no handshake.
Had bleachers off limits but people sat closely as normal.

Saw zero masks at the ballpaek

Went to a couple games yesterday. It looked like a normal summer game. No social distancing. Don't really care just thought it was interesting.

I would have loved to of seen the games where the social distancing was practiced. Can't say that I believe that!

I was at a local wing restaurant last night and just loved watching the ball teams and families coming in for post game dinner and refreshments. Actually felt almost normal. Tank you!

I was at a local wing restaurant last night and just loved watching the ball teams and families coming in for post game dinner and refreshments. Actually felt almost normal. Tank you!
Ya know it did feel normal the last couple of days with sports being back. It is well needed to keep the kids engaged in something positive.

Had games this morning. Third day of a tournament. Baseball was a little sloppy. Was a little surprised that halfway through one of my games today, the kids from one of the teams stopped warming up in the infield between innings. In small conversations with some of the kids, they said their arms were hurting. Not sure if trying to do too much too early, but it's only June 7 and here was a team with a bunch of sore arms. This team is from a very established program in the area too.