Will XC happen this fall?

Then why did the OHSAA neglect to make that distinction when they announced the May 26 lifting of the no-contact period last week? Notwithstanding future guidance to the contrary, a track coach will be able to host voluntary runs for track athletes at, say, a local public park beginning next Tuesday.
This is the exact way I understand it. Still would be limited to groups of 10.

Our AD was to the understanding the aforementioned non-contact OHSAA and city/traveling team sports were allowed to participate May 26th. Due to the confusion whether the governor’s office intended that to be OHSAA sports, the local AD’s agreed to all start at the same time and wait for further clarification. They cited that the lieutenant governor and OHSAA were working together on this. Hopefully, clarification occurs this week.

I think we need to get a lawyer involved. (Mathking, That made me actually laugh out loud)
Psychodad, it was funny to me too, but it would have been funnier happening to someone else. When I was told by a parent that my canceling the season was problematic, I honestly thought it was sarcasm at first. Then I realized it wasn’t. (I once had a parent complain that I would not change the date of the FIRST Robotics world championships because their kid had a conflict. So maybe It’s just that I am unreasonable?)

With NCAA football and basketball workouts starting June 1st on Campus at UC, X, OSU, OU etc...I can not imagine any reason not to have high school sports especially as the younger they are the safer they are.

He originally posted this..."The OHSAA has reversed course and now all sports are again under the no contact period till June 30th or until the health departments open up schools. Also it sounds like again, one for all and all for one. If one county is shut down the whole state shuts down, in regards to high school sports."

This is from a link in the article I posted...Adjustment to the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period – Limited Sports Since Governor DeWine announced yesterday in his “Responsible Restart Ohio” plan that certain sports will be permitted to begin on May 26, it becomes necessary to provide school coaches the opportunities. Effective May 26, the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period will be lifted for the following sports: • Baseball* • Golf • Softball* • Swimming & Diving • Tennis • Track & Field

According to the timeline, gatornation is saying the AD meeting with the NE Board rep took place after the release mentioned in the article you linked. Also, the article you've posted claims the release regarding the non-contact period being lifted on May 26 was released to the public. I saw a copy of the actual release. It was sent to the administrators at the OHSAA member schools and explicitly stated that it would not be released to the public. You will not find the release on the OHSAA's website at this time.

Lt Governor Husted today said May 26th skills training for OHSAA sports can start for all sports.

He said - Will get back to you on competition.

Back to the original question: I bet Cross-Country happens this Fall, and I bet it will be essentially the same as last year.

To put things in perspective, the lockdown started roughly 2 months ago. The beginning of the official Cross-Country season is 3 months away.

This week they have turned the stay-at-home order into a recommendation. Businesses are opening-up. You can eat at restaurants again. It sounds like we might even be able to have practices next week!
Everything is trending in the right direction, and pretty quickly, relative to where we were just a few weeks ago.

Plus, there is more and more pressure to open up. You have declining rates all across the country. You have other states that have opened up even more than Ohio has yet (GA, TN, others) and are not seeing huge spikes in cases. You have more and more people becoming aggravated at the state (right or wrong) to open up more every day. And there are certainly economic incentives for everyone to resume work and play.

I think it's very realistic to imagine that in 3 months we will be having Cross-Country meets here in Ohio. I bet there won't even be serious restrictions on meets, or school for that matter, in 3 months.

All my personal, humble opinion.

From the OHSAA today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.39.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.39.02 PM.png
    936.8 KB · Views: 40
Back to the original question: I bet Cross-Country happens this Fall, and I bet it will be essentially the same as last year.

To put things in perspective, the lockdown started roughly 2 months ago. The beginning of the official Cross-Country season is 3 months away.

This week they have turned the stay-at-home order into a recommendation. Businesses are opening-up. You can eat at restaurants again. It sounds like we might even be able to have practices next week!
Everything is trending in the right direction, and pretty quickly, relative to where we were just a few weeks ago.

Plus, there is more and more pressure to open up. You have declining rates all across the country. You have other states that have opened up even more than Ohio has yet (GA, TN, others) and are not seeing huge spikes in cases. You have more and more people becoming aggravated at the state (right or wrong) to open up more every day. And there are certainly economic incentives for everyone to resume work and play.

I think it's very realistic to imagine that in 3 months we will be having Cross-Country meets here in Ohio. I bet there won't even be serious restrictions on meets, or school for that matter, in 3 months.

All my personal, humble opinion.
Im starting to think the same way. Dewine every day this week when he spoke was singling out the vulnerable (+65, preexisting health conditions) to stay at home. For the first time he wasn't lumping every single Ohioian in the guidelines. The young and healthy are not being affected by this right now as bad as the others. However, this is not flu season and can change pretty quickly in the fall.

I also am starting to believe that schools will begin as normal (maybe with some restrictions and guidelines) and in person.

God I said I was done with speculating and projecting but I just can't help myself.

The next month is going to be very important for everything. This weekend will be huge. Things have already gone poorly in North Carolina. We need to hope that things go well here in Ohio, because it's not looking good nationally. Have to get to the point that they will even have school before sports are even a consideration.

NC is looking really good based on what is on their dashboard. Death trending way down and like rest of country 60% from nursing homes.
View attachment 7344
If North Carolina is anything like Ohio, many of the cases and deaths they are reporting are backdated. What this means is that the deaths reported in Ohio today did not necessarily happen today. They could have happened two weeks ago. But that they are reported today. What that also means, is that we will not really have any idea what the true number of people that died today for another couple of weeks. Not saying your wrong. Just saying that if North Carolina is reporting their cases and deaths like Ohio, that the data for the last week or two is likely incomplete.

If North Carolina is anything like Ohio, many of the cases and deaths they are reporting are backdated. What this means is that the deaths reported in Ohio today did not necessarily happen today. They could have happened two weeks ago. But that they are reported today. What that also means, is that we will not really have any idea what the true number of people that died today for another couple of weeks. Not saying your wrong. Just saying that if North Carolina is reporting their cases and deaths like Ohio, that the data for the last week or two is likely incomplete.

All that is true but NC official site it looks good but somehow psycho know it is going poorly? ?

It would be nice if the actual cause of death was covid and they didn't die because they already had terminal cancer, chronic heart issues or were morbidly obese, all at the same time. This new issue with kids is actually an old issue they see every year at this time. But we cannot let facts get in the way of a good story. Last stat I read showed it was at least 98% had a substantial underlying medical issue (the other 2% are probably not telling the truth or didn't know they had an issue). Something like 1/2 the people listed never had a test to confirm, you could just speculate.

As many have said, let's protect the vulnerable until we develop heard immunity instead of creating a police state, or maybe that's the goal, not sure as I type this.

Morbidly obese are vulnerable? , will somebody please get Donny Bone Spurs a vaccine at warp speed, before this hoax
causes us all to live in a police state

It would be nice if the actual cause of death was covid and they didn't die because they already had terminal cancer, chronic heart issues or were morbidly obese, all at the same time. This new issue with kids is actually an old issue they see every year at this time. But we cannot let facts get in the way of a good story. Last stat I read showed it was at least 98% had a substantial underlying medical issue (the other 2% are probably not telling the truth or didn't know they had an issue). Something like 1/2 the people listed never had a test to confirm, you could just speculate.

As many have said, let's protect the vulnerable until we develop heard immunity instead of creating a police state, or maybe that's the goal, not sure as I type this.
Im sure the data is being misrepresented both ways. either way, I will not delve in speculation or worse, conspiracy theories. I prefer having actual hard data to work with. Is the data perfect? No, but it is all we have to work with. I can only hope then, that with time, the discrepancies will see the light of day.

Im sure the data is being misrepresented both ways. either way, I will not delve in speculation or worse, conspiracy theories. I prefer having actual hard data to work with. Is the data perfect? No, but it is all we have to work with. I can only hope then, that with time, the discrepancies will see the light of day.
People. Stop responding to Running Man's comments. He hasn't talked sports for close to three weeks and his conspiracy rants are terrible.

Morbidly obese are vulnerable? , will somebody please get Donny Bone Spurs a vaccine at warp speed, before this hoax
causes us all to live in a police state
Orange man very bad. It didn't start as a hoax, but it sure is ending like one. No ACTUAL data to show anything we have done has "moved the curve", but orange man still bad.

Let's string it out as long as possible, then maybe we can make the man made climate change sponsors into gods as well. All this stuff is based on models, all hail the modelers. Orange man still bad, he will destroy everything!

All we have managed to do is demonstrate the power of crying wolf. The other thing that is hard to fathom is that the communists in China are looking out for everyone else in the world, at least according to everything I read. They are sooo much better than the other communists that have killed more people than all wars in world history combined, by an order of magnitude. How do they do it I wonder?

When XC starts I'll talk about it. We can talk about how fast the Darby track course is because it's short...

BTW, what conspiracy? Name just one...I have proof for everything I say, probably way more accurate than anything in the NY Times, but similar to the Financial Times. I'm skeptical of everything, all the time. People lie. All people. Liberals just dream bigger with their lies, which annoys me more.

I heard last night Tri-C has suspended all sports for the Fall and Winter including XC and Indoor Track. Also maybe Lakeland CC has done the same for the Fall. Is this going to begin the new norm this Fall? I SURE HOPE NOT

I heard last night Tri-C has suspended all sports for the Fall and Winter including XC and Indoor Track. Also maybe Lakeland CC has done the same for the Fall. Is this going to begin the new norm this Fall? I SURE HOPE NOT
That is all due to money issues. Still disappointing.

I have a relative that is a Principal in Columbus. They have been told that it is not expected that school will resume as usual. There will be many restrictions, but that it will be a District decision as to how to make it work. Most likely kids will not be going 5 days a week. Some sort of staggered system. No more than 12 kids on a bus at a time. (That seems like a big obstacle) There is going to have to be a lot more planning by each district as to how to make it happen. What happens if Districts just decide not to have sports, or, just decide they aren't fielding a football team this year. Everything has to be rescheduled. A lot of AD's and administrators are going to have to do a lot more work than they are used to.

My daughter lives in North Carolina. They have issues with things opening and then two weeks later having to be shut down again. Seems like some people can abide by a lock down order, but can't seem to follow rules that just place limits on things. Open restaurants and bars at 50% and they get filled up to 150%.

How does a school system have restrictions on kids going to school and being in classrooms, but allow kids to practice sports everyday? How can you not bus high school kids to and from school, but bus 80 kids to a football game? What if it's decided that a School can figure out how to make some sports work and not other's? How will parents take that? Is it all going to depend on the State, or will there be Federal regulations? (I doubt it.)

At the beginning of all this, I thought School systems and a lot of people really had their act together. Well planned out and looking out for the best interest of the kids. However, even that transitioned from going above and beyond to just fulfilling obligations. Graduation was an absolute joke for our kids. Health department says people can go to the track and use the track, but since nothing specific was said about pole vault or high jump etc. That all gets put away and those kids can't do any of that. For there to be Cross Country this Fall, it's going to take much more effort than usual, and I'm not confident that everyone will be willing to put in the hard work it's gong to take. They might for some time, but will they from August until November, and Then November - March....etc? I hope, but from what I see everyday, I doubt it.

I had to go to the BMV 3 times this last week. Two very good experiences and one so bad I had to count to ten and just walk back to the car and leave. 3 different BMV locations. Same at the Grocery store and Home Depot. Had to go to Home Depot to pick something up and got just ripped by a husband and wife duo that felt an obligation to yell at me how stupid I was for wearing a mask. (I have to for work, so I try and stay in the habit. Besides, It's the least I can do. Seems polite.) In my face yelling at me. What triggered it was another guy wearing a mask too was making a big effort to try and stay 6 feet away from me. I could see that, so I moved off to the side to give him more room. It also seemed polite. The couple were actually calling us idiots and made a point of yelling in my face how stupid I was. If that's the attitude people are going to take, XC is not going to happen. IMO

I have a relative that is a Principal in Columbus. They have been told that it is not expected that school will resume as usual. There will be many restrictions, but that it will be a District decision as to how to make it work. Most likely kids will not be going 5 days a week. Some sort of staggered system. No more than 12 kids on a bus at a time. (That seems like a big obstacle) There is going to have to be a lot more planning by each district as to how to make it happen. What happens if Districts just decide not to have sports, or, just decide they aren't fielding a football team this year. Everything has to be rescheduled. A lot of AD's and administrators are going to have to do a lot more work than they are used to.

My daughter lives in North Carolina. They have issues with things opening and then two weeks later having to be shut down again. Seems like some people can abide by a lock down order, but can't seem to follow rules that just place limits on things. Open restaurants and bars at 50% and they get filled up to 150%.

How does a school system have restrictions on kids going to school and being in classrooms, but allow kids to practice sports everyday? How can you not bus high school kids to and from school, but bus 80 kids to a football game? What if it's decided that a School can figure out how to make some sports work and not other's? How will parents take that? Is it all going to depend on the State, or will there be Federal regulations? (I doubt it.)

At the beginning of all this, I thought School systems and a lot of people really had their act together. Well planned out and looking out for the best interest of the kids. However, even that transitioned from going above and beyond to just fulfilling obligations. Graduation was an absolute joke for our kids. Health department says people can go to the track and use the track, but since nothing specific was said about pole vault or high jump etc. That all gets put away and those kids can't do any of that. For there to be Cross Country this Fall, it's going to take much more effort than usual, and I'm not confident that everyone will be willing to put in the hard work it's gong to take. They might for some time, but will they from August until November, and Then November - March....etc? I hope, but from what I see everyday, I doubt it.

I had to go to the BMV 3 times this last week. Two very good experiences and one so bad I had to count to ten and just walk back to the car and leave. 3 different BMV locations. Same at the Grocery store and Home Depot. Had to go to Home Depot to pick something up and got just ripped by a husband and wife duo that felt an obligation to yell at me how stupid I was for wearing a mask. (I have to for work, so I try and stay in the habit. Besides, It's the least I can do. Seems polite.) In my face yelling at me. What triggered it was another guy wearing a mask too was making a big effort to try and stay 6 feet away from me. I could see that, so I moved off to the side to give him more room. It also seemed polite. The couple were actually calling us idiots and made a point of yelling in my face how stupid I was. If that's the attitude people are going to take, XC is not going to happen. IMO

End of the day, what do you expect? A growing number of people are too flippin' lazy to use their turn signals around here. Drives me crazy. I hate having to guess which way cars are going to go when I pull up to a 4-way stop. I know there is constant back and forth about the effectiveness of masks and whether or not it is recommended that they be worn, but I don't keep up with every peer reviewed study that is released on the matter. It isn't doing me any harm to wear one, so I do it to give others peace of mind. My life is full of folks who make up the "vulnerable population." I've witnessed a few longshot illnesses and bizarre deaths in my time. I had a great uncle die of complications brought on by West Nile. I had a HS teammate contract encephalitis from a mosquito bite and nearly die. He survived but lost a few standard deviations off his IQ as well as damage to his coordination and memory. Heck, I even had a great grandfather burn to death from coming too close to an open flame while moonshining and a great-great uncle who was run over by a sheriff's deputy back in the '30s while walking home from a Halloween parade.

Despite it being the farthest away of the 3 big box home improvement stores (only 5 miles down a highway though), I go to Menard's first. Masks are required for all customers at Menard's. That has undoubtedly cost the store some business, but I'm willing to do a little more to support a place that is willing to "walk the walk" to protect their employees. If I can't find an item there, I'll try the other 2 big box home improvement stores (Lowe's is on the way back into town from Menard's). My town of 30K is a great place if you need home improvement supplies, auto parts, or cash advance service.

Last edited:
I don't expect to get yelled at. I honestly had to stop and count to ten. I was seeing red. I had a run in with a lady years ago at a Wal-mart when I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in 15-20 years and as we parted I said "Happy Holidays and tell your family I said hello." Out of the blue, this lady comes up to me and says "We say Merry Christmas!" I was dumbfounded as I didn't realize she was berating me for wishing my friend and his family Happy Holidays. I thought she was just randomly speaking to me. A crowd gathered as I stood there and took it from her. After I had treated her like she was in distress and should I get her some help. I eventually figured out why I was being scolded. When she was done, I said, "Hope you and your family have Happy Holidays!!!" Crowd laughed and thought it was really funny. It wasn't even Thanksgiving yet and I was ripped for saying Happy Holidays and not Merry Christmas.