Spring Football Prediction // ThisWeek + Snodgrass

Listening to Dan Patrick this evening, Jim Harbaugh even said it’s not certain if college football will be played.

What a bozo. This is the beginning of the article, read it;

“To be clear, the GHSA has not made any reopening plan official yet; and could opt for a different plan should conditions merit. “
The GHSA will follow the Governor's lead. Why do you think the media has NOT mentioned a word about Geotgia in the last 2 weeks?
Because they are trending downward.!!!!

On the topic of A)...

The only impact I can think of to major college football east of the Mississippi River would be if Illinois governor JB Pritzker puts the nix on attendance of public sporting events. What might happen instead is UIUC and Northwestern instead indicate to the B1G that they will not be holding on-campus classes this fall (this seems likely.) Same deal for Rutgers and maybe Maryland. Boston College might play it by ear. There’s also... just... whatever is happening with the state of Florida.

Right. I just hate to see the West Coast, aka Worst Coast (such bad football) is dictating the way things look to go. The SEC reaction will be really fascinating.

the california decision has me worried. but then again it’s california. VERY LIBERAL! if we have any football in any way, shape, or form next year, i’ll be happy. i think we will have a full season with the boys starting back up in July. if it gets bumped back then that’s okay too. i think if we start in August then we can still have a full season. regardless, SENIOR LEADERSHIP will show much more this season than any other year. also a rough offseason to be a first year head coach

I enjoy seeing everyone’s opinion. I wish I saw something that made me feel optimistic about next years sports but I just don’t for the following reasons:

1) Given the context of the economy, lives lost, unknown mutations, variety of opinions, if there’s even in class school, etc. I just think there’s too many hurdles and other more serious issues to take the liability of holding athletic events. Some off the top of my head:

A) obviously distancing concerns in almost every sport

B) not following the lead of college (see California today), pro leagues (which look very bleak at this point). If they cancel how would high school not follow suit?

C) and most importantly imo, when the time comes people feel confident in safety protocols, scheduling changes, etc and decide to resume, what happens when inevitably someone tests positive during the season? Team quarantines? teams they’ played quarantine? Disqualified? League suspends? I don’t know that answer but until people are comfortable moving forward knowing the risks (even after a player tests positive) I don’t see how any school would take that liability. I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my son on a team where a teammate or opponent was positive at this time. I think we are so far from that point of moving forward I don’t see how it happens. I hope I’m wrong.

D). Lack of tests vaccines adding to the confusion of “Do I have the flu or corona?” when flu season ramps up.

Anyways my two cents. Stay healthy and well and if anyone can bring me an optimistic viewpoint I certainly would welcome it.

It's really not that hard assuming Snodgrass information is correct. If things aren't open in July and August, we are going to move fall sports to winter/spring. If you take your heart out of it, that's what he is saying. I am personally glad he is not going to screw spring sports over by moving them to the fall.

I don't want to hear there aren't enough kids. If things are a no go in fall, you will be glad they offer it later in year.

You guys are killing me. Only one sport matters to make the money they need and HS's need from the Fall....football. I am not saying Fall Sports will be played on top of Spring Sports, I am saying football will be played in late February (season March)-early May. I can't imagine one AD who wouldn't support this to make this happen. Too much money, a lot more extra time to figure out testing if necessary.
So is your plan to eliminate basketball, wrestling, swimming, baseball, track and golf?

I enjoy seeing everyone’s opinion. I wish I saw something that made me feel optimistic about next years sports but I just don’t for the following reasons:

1) Given the context of the economy, lives lost, unknown mutations, variety of opinions, if there’s even in class school, etc. I just think there’s too many hurdles and other more serious issues to take the liability of holding athletic events. Some off the top of my head:

A) obviously distancing concerns in almost every sport

B) not following the lead of college (see California today), pro leagues (which look very bleak at this point). If they cancel how would high school not follow suit?

C) and most importantly imo, when the time comes people feel confident in safety protocols, scheduling changes, etc and decide to resume, what happens when inevitably someone tests positive during the season? Team quarantines? teams they’ played quarantine? Disqualified? League suspends? I don’t know that answer but until people are comfortable moving forward knowing the risks (even after a player tests positive) I don’t see how any school would take that liability. I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my son on a team where a teammate or opponent was positive at this time. I think we are so far from that point of moving forward I don’t see how it happens. I hope I’m wrong.

D). Lack of tests vaccines adding to the confusion of “Do I have the flu or corona?” when flu season ramps up.

Anyways my two cents. Stay healthy and well and if anyone can bring me an optimistic viewpoint I certainly would welcome it.
Thanks for weighing in. This is a pretty balanced view and it’s good to see fresh perspective in this.

You'd be surprised at how many communities and AD's would not mind if football interfered a bit with other sports.

Is there anything comparable to a Friday Night in the Fall with any other sport (don't forget, you get band, cheerleading, fundraisers all on the same evening)? Not even close. Basketball can really pack some stands a few nights a year, but not like the stadium stands.

I don't care if it is Mentor or Vincent Warren, you ask 95% of schools in Ohio what the priority is on that campus other than academics...
No, it appears that you may be surprised. Although football is a passion for many. It reigns superior as long as it is in it's own season. If you start to take away other seasons you will upset more than you know. Every school that has football is not a "football school". Not every school that has football does not rely only or even primarily on the revenue football generates. If football is canceled, which I hope it is not, the organization that will be hit the hardest is the OHSAA.

We ALL will know in the end. This isn't rocket science. The spread will NOT stop on its own. Until we get a vaccine THAT WORKS, it will keep us under it's vicious thumb. Remember I'm not saying to shut down the country, I'm saying that we should be following the CDC guidelines for reopening. That is not happening almost anywhere. We will pay for our actions. AKA: way more deaths than what SHOULD have happened.
Have you been following the death totals. We as a country and as a state are below the daily and monthly averages from 2017, 2018 & 2019. If this virus was such a deathly contagion wouldn't we be seeing the total deaths spiking over the averages of the last 3 years? There just is no data to support what your are saying.

Have you been following the death totals. We as a country and as a state are below the daily and monthly averages from 2017, 2018 & 2019. If this virus was such a deathly contagion wouldn't we be seeing the total deaths spiking over the averages of the last 3 years? There just is no data to support what your are saying.
That's not true. Look at the CDC stats a little closer.

This chart shows it well.

Last edited:
That's not true. Look at the CDC stats a little closer.

This chart shows it well.
CDC stats show that in 2017 there were 2,813,503 deaths across the united states. That is an average of 7,708 per day in 2017. We are on day 133 in 2020. At that average we could, in theory, predict to have 1,025,194 records deaths in the USA as of today. They report that we have 1,031,307 as of today. That is an increase of 6113 over the average for 50 states from 2017. Is that enough to close down the country?
Another interesting stat is that deaths by heart disease, diabetes, cancer and respiratory disease have decreased so far this year compared to recent years numbers.

CDC stats show that in 2017 there were 2,813,503 deaths across the united states. That is an average of 7,708 per day in 2017. We are on day 133 in 2020. At that average we could, in theory, predict to have 1,025,194 records deaths in the USA as of today. They report that we have 1,031,307 as of today. That is an increase of 6113 over the average for 50 states from 2017. Is that enough to close down the country?
Another interesting stat is that deaths by heart disease, diabetes, cancer and respiratory disease have decreased so far this year compared to recent years numbers.
Because if you have any of those comorbidities and happen to have covid it gets recorded as a covid death. Whether or not covid actually causes the death means little to nothing.

It is obvious at this point that the only thing that Fauci and the CDC are digging their heals in on the mass forced vaccinations for everyone and that is a very scary proposition.

Because if you have any of those comorbidities and happen to have covid it gets recorded as a covid death. Whether or not covid actually causes the death means little to nothing.
Correct. The stats can be made to inform in different ways.

A family friend lost a grandparent, 97 years of age, living with family and never woke up one day. Death cert listed Covid-19 and no other member in the house had it. Passed away after the nursing home lock down. Family fought it and got it changed.

Do you have a link to those numbers?

Did you check the far right of the chart in the link above showing excess deaths starting late in March and steadily increasing?

Is this all a ruse?

i think the dock wears a mask while riding alone in a car.

jtk
()
Nah, I make sure to wear it while doing my essential job. Doing God’s work in the process and doing all I can to make sure the people I work with have the safest interaction in the process.

But, your post did make me chuckle.

Last edited:
The CDC numbers show a decline in May.
It takes time for the information to be logged. The notes say that the data lags by as much as 8 weeks due to processing of the paperwork. Check it again next week.

I get the feeling you're trying very hard to see what you want to see.

It takes time for the information to be logged. The notes say that the data lags by as much as 8 weeks due to processing of the paperwork. Check it again next week.

To some degree this can be said for both sides of this issue.

Just keep watching. The final story has not yet been told. As we reopen the wrong way versus the advised way, you will be singing a different tune.

Last edited:

I have been working thru this and I have 3 family members and 2 friends in the medical field. And none of us have seen any death virus that warrants closing the country down. I also know a person, 68 years old, who tested positive, was admitted to the hospital and today is at home with no symptoms of the virus. I am seeing what is right in front of me.

I'm not on a "side."

That's the same assumption about Dr. Fauci that has people disliking him.
There is documented proof that Fauci has not been consistent in his comments over the last 5 months. That is why people don't trust him. It's not that they don't personally dislike him.

I am in the education field. Admin is and has been preparing for sure. And yes, education at home is not the same. We all miss being with our students. The interactions, the laughs and fun times, the growth academically and socially from August til June that we see is amazing. This PANDEMIC really sucks! And yes, this is a pandemic. But yet people still think it's a hoax. WOW!

Not disrespect, but education at home for the majority of students is a waste of time. Saying it is not the same is a major understatement. We are doing the young people in this country a major disservice and many will take years to recover what they lost when school finally does resume. I certainly do not think it is a hoax, but it doesn't mean that it's not been blown out of proportion.

I'm a little more positive in my thinking than you are. So I hope you are wrong.

Do we have a vaccine for SARS and MERS?
Only time will tell. It's just a shame that we can't reopen and FOLLOW guidelines. "Poor me/America", many spoiled rotten and entitled. And rules are not for them. They only care about themselves and not others. That is what will make this worse.