No High School Football 2020

I called this last evening, got ridiculed that I don’t know what I’m talking about, we’ll I was spot on.

I can’t state who I am but can say I do know people who’s job is to know.

That being said, the “blended learning” announcement is not what I was expected, not this soon, but to me, that is the nail in the coffin. Everything DeWine has said “might” or “maybe” has happened. If you don’t know what that means let me catch you up to date.
What this means, and it’s ideas, for what they are going to implement includes for the most part, classes be split in half so you are looking at 12-15 most kids in a classroom. They would go to school twice a week and the other half to twice a week. Sports would and can not happen in these conditions as for starters, transportation would be a logistical nightmare for not just school, but sports...no way you can have that many kids on a bus. Can’t have over 12-15 in a class? How can they share a sideline? Huddle? They haven’t cancelled sports yet but will. Colleges are about to announce no in-person classes this fall, a very reliable source working for a MAC School said “zero chance kids are on campus or reporting to class this fall”.

Call me an idiot, liberal, whatever, this is how it is. It’s not like I want this, trust me, I am affected by this. There will be no sports this fall in NCAA or HS.
Stay positive Mr. Doom and Gloom, stop speculating!

lancer the governor has order the schools to sytay closed the rest of the school year and finish school with the online system.as far as reopening in august the governor says its to early to say so lancer saying the chances of reopening in august right now is irresponsible.if you say you will be a senior the upcoming school year you have to learn to be patient the same with fall sports. patience!!!
sorry I'm just scared

Calm down, youngster! It's called speculation. What happens if... And people will be making plans in case things go sideways because if there is any chance to pull it off, plans need to be made sooner rather than later. You are right that there is a very high likelihood school will be back in session in the Fall. But what if it's not?
I understand but speculation just makes me mad

Link to that info ?
saw it on CNN with Anderson Cooper and there health expert. They were interviewing a government scientist/doctor working on it directly. Said they were on stage one trials already and going to do stage 2 and 3 simultaneously. She called it an emergency vaccine. I really don't know how to attach articles.

I have been hearing from some sources that Hosptials are fabricating COVID-19 Deaths so they can get more aid from the Federal Government, which is fraud like they are not 100% sure that that death came from COVID-19 because no autopsy has been ran, like one case someone died of a gunshot wound but it was labeled as a COVID death. so that death rate could be a lot lower. all I know there is something suspicious maybe even conspiricy and corruption that is involving the higher ups, and someone is going to find out about it sooner than later

Some sources? Tinhats? We just don't need ridiculous conspiracy theories at this time.

For anyone saying that they will have "very small crowds" for football and be going by August are living in a dream.

It is a fact, wealthier school districts are already giving heads up to teachers to be prepared to create a Distance Learning plan for the Fall, soon. Distance Learning (even for 50% of the time, a hopeful scenario) means no sports. As much as we want football, how would it make any sense to have 60-100 players and coaches on the sideline together, huddling together, but crowds being spread out? It doesn't even make sense.

Another rumor is "they will just test students weekly, teachers as well, so that means sports and school", this would be beyond expensive. So sure, maybe Dublin or Beavercreek could afford this, but even some of their suburban rivals could not. It does not even make sense what so ever.

The harsh reality is that school or "regular school" is so highly unlikely the rest of this calendar year that people are in denial. Even worse, we haven't even hit our peak, we have went up over 2,000 cases this weekend and the current Ohio fatality rate is at 4.5%.

Awful way of looking at it, mathematically speaking, one kid or person in every classroom.

We'll be lucky to see basketball.

In all reality, NCAA and High School has almost >1% chance of playing this fall. OHSAA...maybe a little higher because we are a bit better off. NFL and MLB maybe could play, but then it's complicated with player unions and player's putting themselves in conditions they might not want to.

This is the reality of things folks.
The numbers that Acton is posting are skewed because they have not been testing the general populace and she has just cleared the backlog from the labs. The real number to look at is hospital admissions because there is a direct correlation to the hospital admissions to death rate. Again, the goal is not prevent infection but to keep it slow and keep the vulnerable protected. That means I am not visiting my parents until (a) i get confirmation that I had this thing back in Feb or (b) they get a vaccination. We will have football if we have school. Same thing at College. We will have football if we school. The Pro leagues are a different animal because of the large crowds for profit motive. Just speculation but if we do not have college football, all college sports are in trouble next year due to lack of funds

Last edited:
I have been hearing from some sources that Hosptials are fabricating COVID-19 Deaths so they can get more aid from the Federal Government, which is fraud like they are not 100% sure that that death came from COVID-19 because no autopsy has been ran, like one case someone died of a gunshot wound but it was labeled as a COVID death. so that death rate could be a lot lower. all I know there is something suspicious maybe even conspiricy and corruption that is involving the higher ups, and someone is going to find out about it sooner than later

I can't imagine the sources a junior in HS might have? But just a little lesson, the county health board get's the death numbers from the coroner not the hospitals. The counties then report to the state who then pass that info to the feds. Also, it would be the county coroner who determined if the preliminary cause complications from COVID. I'm interested in your conspiracy theories though.

This could setup "travel football" if the schools do not have teams while the risk is low. There could be some enterprising individuals putting together HS age football travel teams this Fall if certain things fall into place.

As I've heard recently, some Summer sports are gearing up getting ready to play. There may be some limitations but sports will be happening this Summer. If the governor becomes a roadblock to school teams in the Fall, these athletes will find other places to play.
I think that is a real possibility. This may cause a type of privatization of all sports to replace the over cautious state run school system. I'm not against this for sure. I'm sure it's not just that easy but it is a thought several are having.

I would think it is more likely than not at this point that schools in Ohio will not be up and running come August 1, 2020. DeWine intentionally mentioned the blended learning plan today, even if it was only a suggestion from a superintendent, to lay groundwork for next year. Numerous experts have said since the beginning that the only way you return to "normal" is mass testing, which isn't and won't be an option in two months. Without that testing, schools will not subject their staffs, families and students to potential sickness and/or death (although rather slim chances) when they have shown that students can get by with remote learning. I am not saying this is equal to nor even an adequate substitution for most students at all, but that it is existing right now and hasn't collapsed thus far.

I was hoping today's press conference would be more positive towards the future, but his wording "if we decide to go that route" when referencing returning to school is really sticking with me. Unless there is a sudden development of testing availability and capability we will likely be looking at a disruption to the start of the 2020-2021 school year for kids in Ohio.

This semester is pass fail which can help the below average student in some cases and hurts the student trying to up his GPA towards or over 4.0!. So that’s what next year will be too if taking classes remotely

This semester is pass fail which can help the below average student in some cases and hurts the student trying to up his GPA towards or over 4.0!. So that’s what next year will be too if taking classes remotely
It can also hurt the student who is trying to get his GPA over the number (2.2?) you need to qualify for NCAA D1 or some other division.

The Governor first stated they would decide on returning to school buildings later in the summer, then immediately began to lay out that he was not sure if it would be all online or a blended format, that told me he feels students should not return to the buildings. Just busing the student body to school and home is going to be a challenge, let alone putting 25-30 of them in a classroom. After his announcement today I would think there is a 70-30 chance there will be no fall sports. IF a vaccine is developed by September, we may begin winter sports January 1.

After watching the press conference today and Dewine's comments on the possibility of "blended" instruction in the fall, I am very worried about the possibility of fall sports, or any sports, until a vaccine is found. He mentioned several times that fall is "too far away" but that fact that they are even thinking about a blended fall suggests that it's more likely than not to happen, and fall sports will not happen. Football just does not start at the end of August. Teams are really doing things now: weight room, instruction with up to 7 players. In June that ramps up. In July teams have up to 10 camp days that are used for 7-on-7, etc. August is full blown 2-a-days, scrimmages, etc. If this is not sorted out by July, it's game off.

Some district yes.

All districts no.

As most predicted, the Gov said just a few minutes ago no school the rest of this school year. Feel bad for the seniors and spring sports.
Mr.Doom & Gloom 270SC, claims to know all and see all, but he’s just speculating like everyone else is. NOBODY knows anything right now and if they say they do, they’re full of it. The two folks I talked to, an AD & a HC, obviously talked to folks in the OHSAA. I feel their take that I posted previously is a good one. We will see what happens when it does. Till then speculation will run wild.
My sisters bosses brother in law has a first cousin who has a best friend who works at a diner across from the Capitol Building...her hair-stylist has a friend who has a cousin that is a janitor in the Capitol...he said that he overheard DeWine's assistant tell one of the other assistants in the building that they were thinking no football in the Fall...just sayin' :cool:

Some district yes.

All districts no.
DeWine has stated that students cannot be harmed academically by not being in school. All anyone has to do is say "I didn't have access" and bingo! It doesn't have to be true or not. One way or another, schools will just duplicate 3rd quarter grades because students that fail will sue and will win.... Student passes anyways. Schools will bypass that potential litigation and everyone will pass 4th quarter.

Wow! So relieved, potus is expecting to have huge MAGA rallies real soon. Really hope he gets out there and high fives all his loyal supporters.

My sisters bosses brother in law has a first cousin who has a best friend who works at a diner across from the Capitol Building...her hair-stylist has a friend who has a cousin that is a janitor in the Capitol...he said that he overheard DeWine's assistant tell one of the other assistants in the building that they were thinking no football in the Fall...just sayin' :cool:

That's not what I heard. My Best friends sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy's who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Dewine pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious . Dewine will make the call after he takes a day off and roams around Chicago . Until then , it's all just speculation .

I've seen articles that say 60-70% immunity needs to be reached before herd immunity kicks in. At 500,000 people a month, it may take awhile yet.

I don't think cities make all that much through facility rentals. Just can't see it from a liability standpoint.

Hopefully this is a moot point and there's a breakthrough of some sort.

Once the most susceptible have had their shot at it and manufacturing has caught up with new medical needs, we can have our mass kumbaya moment to spread it to the less likely to be critical. We can already see as the weather gets warm that people are moving about more naturally. By early July, people will be ready to put the theories to test or just give up and take their chances.

The Governor first stated they would decide on returning to school buildings later in the summer, then immediately began to lay out that he was not sure if it would be all online or a blended format, that told me he feels students should not return to the buildings. Just busing the student body to school and home is going to be a challenge, let alone putting 25-30 of them in a classroom. After his announcement today I would think there is a 70-30 chance there will be no fall sports. IF a vaccine is developed by September, we may begin winter sports January 1.

The “IF a vaccine is developed by September” statement is my biggest worry. We hear the talking heads and politicians optimistically say that an emergency vaccination could be ready by then. DeWine has even made statements that life will not return to normal until a vaccine is available. Problem is, it’s not close to realistic. Almost all vaccine experts say the only way this can happen is if corners are cut. Four years is more in line for a new development and testing program. I don’t know about you, but there is no way I will allow anyone in my family who is low risk for complications from Covid take a vaccine in which corners were cut during testing. Last time this was tried was during the possible swine flu pandemic in 1972, and it didn’t turn out real well for some.

The other issue is the two leading candidates that are furthest along rely on a technique that has been around for thirty years and has shown promise for other viruses, but has never gone through a clinical trial that has shown effectiveness or did not have side effects. Therefore that technique has never yielded a commercially available vaccine. The traditional technique of creating a vaccine from dead or weakened viruses has actually had the opposite effect on Covids related viruses SARS and MERS. The vaccine actually created a pathway for the virus to infect more easily.

So, after a long route of regurgitating what I have found on actual peer reviewed scientific sites, what happens if a vaccine is never found or is delayed for years? Do we open everything up and let the chips fall? Do we quarantine in place and hope one of the existing antivirals helps the treatment? These are decisions that need to made, and I don’t see any of the politicians speaking to the reality of the situation.

What John74 is saying.

If a vaccine is released in time for the normal start of classes this fall, it will be because significant shortcuts have been taken in the development and testing process. It's possible the risk might be worth it - but who makes the call on requiring students to obtain a less-than-proven vaccine? We have enough trouble getting people to use safe, proven, vaccines with long histories of overwhelming benefit.

What I am hearing form our immunologists and pulmonary physicians on our daily COVID war council is that we cannot plan on a reasonably safe and effective vaccine until summer - of 2021, and the near unanimous thought among all is that a firm "shelter in place" practice is not possible for that length ot time. Since we're eventually the ones that write the checks for employer groups, we're preparing our clients to plan on 30-40% of their employees and dependents coming down with the virus to the point that they will require some degree of hospital care over the next twelve months. The hope is that over this summer we will collectively find the optimal means to slow transmission, improve testing quality, and figure out best treatment practices and exisitng drugs that lower the impact on the victims.

I can't see not opening schools this fall, but I question if adding contact sports is a wise idea. I could see cross- country and golf, where distancing could be practices, but not football and soccer, where you'll have physical contact with students from other communities. It is, after all, a game.

I would think it is more likely than not at this point that schools in Ohio will not be up and running come August 1, 2020. DeWine intentionally mentioned the blended learning plan today, even if it was only a suggestion from a superintendent, to lay groundwork for next year. Numerous experts have said since the beginning that the only way you return to "normal" is mass testing, which isn't and won't be an option in two months. Without that testing, schools will not subject their staffs, families and students to potential sickness and/or death (although rather slim chances) when they have shown that students can get by with remote learning. I am not saying this is equal to nor even an adequate substitution for most students at all, but that it is existing right now and hasn't collapsed thus far.

I was hoping today's press conference would be more positive towards the future, but his wording "if we decide to go that route" when referencing returning to school is really sticking with me. Unless there is a sudden development of testing availability and capability we will likely be looking at a disruption to the start of the 2020-2021 school year for kids in Ohio.
Remote learning does not work for the low income student in the long run. you can get by for a quarter but not for a semester or so. I would think that this quarter was pretty much a lost quarter for most. As an aside, I would not be paying 15k a year for online instruction. (that would be for my private high school friends)

Last edited:
What John74 is saying.

If a vaccine is released in time for the normal start of classes this fall, it will be because significant shortcuts have been taken in the development and testing process. It's possible the risk might be worth it - but who makes the call on requiring students to obtain a less-than-proven vaccine? We have enough trouble getting people to use safe, proven, vaccines with long histories of overwhelming benefit.

What I am hearing form our immunologists and pulmonary physicians on our daily COVID war council is that we cannot plan on a reasonably safe and effective vaccine until summer - of 2021, and the near unanimous thought among all is that a firm "shelter in place" practice is not possible for that length ot time. Since we're eventually the ones that write the checks for employer groups, we're preparing our clients to plan on 30-40% of their employees and dependents coming down with the virus to the point that they will require some degree of hospital care over the next twelve months. The hope is that over this summer we will collectively find the optimal means to slow transmission, improve testing quality, and figure out best treatment practices and existing drugs that lower the impact on the victims.

I can't see not opening schools this fall, but I question if adding contact sports is a wise idea. I could see cross- country and golf, where distancing could be practices, but not football and soccer, where you'll have physical contact with students from other communities. It is, after all, a game.
Reasonable analysis but I would add one more point, the vaccine is not for the healthy. If we have an emergency vaccine that works and can be given to the most vulnerable in the fall... that would be part of solution. Maybe the malaria drug is part of the treatment and maybe one of these other drugs can come through in an emergency. I don't think an emergency vaccination would be meant for the regular populace anyways. I think the idea would be to mitigate the risk. I also think many more have already been exposed or had it and even died before we even noticed. It comes down to this, if we have school, we will have football. No school.. no football. Same for college. No college football... no other non-revenue sports.

I really think people in this forum are confusing "doom and gloom" with reality.

Football is king, no other sports will operate this Fall if Football does not. As stated earlier, to save money, all assistants from all staffs for fall sports will be cut, and they will let these people, have to, let them know mid-summer so they have some type of possibility can make up for the money lost.

In addition, which is making the most sense...we can't just expect athletes to show up mid August or after Labor Day for school and ready to play. It would be almost more damaging for many kids to participate than not.

I AM PUTTING THIS IN BOLD BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE IGNORING THIS, BUT COLLEGES ARE GOING TO ANNOUNCE IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS THAT THERE WILL BE NO CLASSES WITH STUDENTS ON CAMPUS. NO STUDENTS ON CAMPUS MEANS NO FOOTBALL:

https://247sports.com/Article/big-1...-sports-without-students-on-campus-146164430/

Think the Big 12 is amateur hour? Then read this on the SEC:

If collegiate sports aren't in operation, neither will be high school sports for the same reason. Even more important was DeWine saying "Blended Learning", it's all we are going to hear about for months. It is a solution even in rural communities with kids with no Internet....they can still go to school twice a week. Getting a degree is more important than getting a touchdown on Friday Night. Be prepared for that propaganda and the continued comparisons to World War II and what not.

Wake up everyone. This isn't speculation, it's a reality.

No other sports for the whole year except for maybe basketball will operate without football revenue and.. schools will be hurting if they think kids will take online classes with them at that price. My daughter is/was a nursing student at OU. She is now looking for other nursing schools that are local and cheaper so she can continue her education, There are many lawsuits already pending due to last semester at UC (DAAP in particular). There is no state money to save these schools, so I hope they think this through before they cut loose on this decision.

What John74 is saying.

What I am hearing form our immunologists and pulmonary physicians on our daily COVID war council is that we cannot plan on a reasonably safe and effective vaccine until summer - of 2021, and the near unanimous thought among all is that a firm "shelter in place" practice is not possible for that length ot time. Since we're eventually the ones that write the checks for employer groups, we're preparing our clients to plan on 30-40% of their employees and dependents coming down with the virus to the point that they will require some degree of hospital care over the next twelve months. The hope is that over this summer we will collectively find the optimal means to slow transmission, improve testing quality, and figure out best treatment practices and exisitng drugs that lower the impact on the victims.

Exactly! I am by no means anti vaccination, but my kids have an almost 0% chance of complications from Covid. So is it worth the risk of giving them a vaccine where shortcuts have been taken? I know some will say the vaccine is to protect those most at risk, but who makes that call?

I’m not trying to be negative in my posts. But it seems that there are two distinct lines of thinking on this issue, and neither will listen to the other. Much of it I believe comes from the extreme partisan 24-7 news. I always tell my family, not one thing you see on Fox, CNN, MSNBC hasn’t been “scrubbed” to illicit a response from their base. Not. One. Thing. Always investigate before arguing an opinion.

Eventually, real decisions will have to be made. And those decisions will be a balance between our society and who lives or dies. It’s terrible, but it’s the truth.

I would love to see some real thought put into the daily briefings beyond regurgitated data that is in reality garbage. What if we built special Covid centers regionally that has the best equipment and capacity to handle the surges? What if we relaxed some of the licensing and provided Covid specific training to first responders and others that have medical training and are willing to assist during peak outbreaks. Sure this all sounds expensive, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the trillions we are bleeding out of the global economy.

This thing is here to stay, and unless out of the box thinking is used, nothing including football will get back to normal in the foreseeable future.

If there is no fall football this year, on what basis will colleges award scholarships? performance at summer camps? Not all the seniors-to-be can afford these camps. Will the colleges take a crap shoot and award scholrships bases solely on physical dimensions, height and weight, and speed times? No way to measure "heart" and performance under pressure that actual games provide.
Gonna be an especially bad situation for the "late bloomers" in all sports.

I was going through some data today for some kids at my school who are filling out recruiting questionnaires for colleges. One had an above average but not great track season last spring as a sophomore. Followed it up with a very good cross country season this past fall as a junior. Improved a lot but his best time is still not other-worldly when compared to others across all divisions in his grade. He could have really used this spring to get his track times down to where the schools that interest him would be motivated to offer money. There are plenty of others out there in that same situation of losing out on the opportunity to improve their stock.

Children are viewed, rightfully so, as a vulnerable population, and deserve the protections of a society. While I do believe that this state, as others, will take steps to open the economy and allow citizens to live more of a "normal" life, the state will continue to protect children - lets face it - that what they are, for the foreseeable future. Schools, whether it be k-12 or universities (and I teach at one - Ohio U.) will not open this fall for face to face instruction in my opinion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I can't imagine any governor or anyone for that matter allowing sports to happen with the possibility of an outbreak that shuts down a school, or even worse, kills a child.