No High School Football 2020

bengals wrestling

Does anybody think there will actually be H.S. football in Ohio this fall?
If you do your only fooling yourself.

Next week, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools for the remainder of the school year. No spring musicals, no prom and no graduation.
OHSAA will follow by cancelling all spring sports.
Late May, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools over summer break, announcing that schools may reopen sometime time in late August.
Schools will be reopened with the restriction of no extracurricular activities..
Early August, OHSAA cancels all fall sports.
Early October, Gov. DeWine announces that all school activities may resume November 1st.

No sarcasm here. This is what we are going to face over the next 6-8 months.

Next week, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools for the remainder of the school year. No spring musicals, no prom and no graduation.
Late May, Gov Mike DeWine will close schools over summer break, announcing that schools may reopen sometime time in late August.
Schools will be reopened with the restriction of no extracurricular activities..
Early October, Gov. DeWine announces that all school activities may resume November 1st.

Definitely plausible.
But hopefully you're wrong.
A lot depends on how well the state/federal governments do what they can to contain the virus.

Quite the take. What would be the purpose of opening schools but not having sports? Plus we’re making some big assumptions on stuff that’s six months away.

How many parents will say they don't want to risk their kids health in a crowded environment and keep them at home?

What's the point of trying to portray your opinion as a fact? Your the only one trying to fool yourself and others lol.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a season. If the schools are shut down for that long, that likely means that businesses and the economy will be as well. The politicians won't keep everything closed until November.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a season. If the schools are shut down for that long, that likely means that businesses and the economy will be as well. The politicians won't keep everything closed until November.
Agreed. Eventually I believe we’re going to have live with the virus still out. Hopefully soon there’s treatments available before the vaccine.

Definitely plausible.
But hopefully you're wrong.
A lot depends on how well the state/federal governments do what they can to contain the virus.
If we’re assessing “state/federal governments” as all of the 48 contiguous states as a whole, there are a handful of “F’s” (gulf coast) to be handed out. There’s a lot of great work being done from Illinois to Ohio to New York & New Jersey, with efforts evidently strong and right-minded in Michigan, WV (Kentucky???). But, the Deep South is likely to be the next epicenter of the coronavirus crises... and that’s a different ball game than it being the Seattle area, and then the NYC metropolitan area.

I lean towards not believing that there will be a fall season. The Government, Department of Education leaders, School district administrators and leaders all must be extra cautious when it comes to kids. They have a real responsibility regarding the students/your kids/everyones kids. And for that reason, depending on where we are at with this virus, I doubt that there will be a fall season.

Last edited:
I know it’s hard to see things getting better in the thick of this, but it’s only March. There is still 4 months until camp would start

I think it could turn into a liability decision and all sports especially high school and college shut down completely until their is a vaccine.

I can’t even fathom not having football, but I am preparing myself. Right now I know it’s already been discussed within OHSAA. I don’t think there’s a much of a chance of doing anything before the Aug.1 start of practice, which will make things very, very difficult. This scenario would certainly favor teams that bring back most of their starters.

Think where we were just 15 days ago. Things change fast. Can't know today. I'd think HS football will go on. Though if new cases and community spread are around in August, maybe not, and maybe some parents pull their kids out.

I've said it several times on different posts. I think we will have football. There might be a couple disruptions to some games but overall, I think we will be playing in the Fall.

The possibility of delaying the fall sports season is very real. Discussions have already taken place and more will be held about this matter.

I didn't say schools would be shut down until November. I said schools would reopen in August, with extra-circular activities resuming in November

The possibility of delaying the fall sports season is very real. Discussions have already taken place and more will be held about this matter.
This is good that they are looking at it but hopefully will take the conservative approach to cancelling the season like they have done with the Winter and Spring sports. It would be awful to cancel a season and find out that it was playable.

If it would be OK to put 25 kids together in a classroom, why wouldn't it be OK to be 50 kids together on a football field?
It’s the off-season that looks to be in bigger question. Weight rooms could end up being biohazards if this public health crisis doesn’t get any better

This is good that they are looking at it but hopefully will take the conservative approach to cancelling the season like they have done with the Winter and Spring sports. It would be awful to cancel a season and find out that it was playable.

They will have to be smart about it. The OHSAA could have had the girls ands boys basketball finals finished before they shut down the schools. WASTE.

?? where have cases dropped? Not in the Ohio/US
03/27/20: 270 Cases / 4 Deaths
03/28/20: 269 Cases / 6 Deaths
03/29/20: 247 Cases / 4 Deaths

When the number of test kits is increased, we will probably see a jump in new cases but it seems like they are very careful on who they test.

It is clear that based on the opinions of a few on here is exactly why we are in the situation we are now. I wonder what the opinions will be on April 12.
Since Thursday Ohio has almost doubled the # of cases.
Thursday there were 867 and today there are 1,653 cases.