Greater Cleveland Conference
Brunswick Blue Devils
Elyria Pioneers
Euclid Panthers
Medina Bees
Mentor Cardinals
Solon Comets
Strongsville Mustangs

Mentor vs. Medina, with Solon and Euclid right behind. Brunswick may spoil but probably won't finish in the top 4. Strongsville and Elyria, like basketball this past year, will fight each other to stay out of the basement (like basketball, Strongsville probably wins that).

If we have HS football, and hopefully we will, my schedule for choices to see so far that week (which is week 5 -- (9/25):
Mentor at Medina and Ignatius at Massillon.
I hope I actually have a decision to make.

Would love to see Brunswick shock the league and win it.
But I think its going to be Mentor.

Brunswick will be good this year (GCC will have five legit teams) and will be capable of hanging with the top 4, but it would definitely be a shock if they won the league. If I had to rank, it is:

1. Mentor: They steamrolled everybody in the league last year so no question they belong at the top.
2. Medina: This is the beginning of at least a three-year window where they can make some serious noise.
3. Solon: Solon is always going to be competitive, but think Mentor/Medina have a little more talent/depth.
4. Euclid: Rotsky will patch together enough athletes where they will still be a tough team to beat.
5. Brunswick: They are coming back, but 2021 is probably the year they can think about competing for the title.

6. Strongsville: Lou Cirino is a very good coach, but I don't see Strongsville beating any of the teams above.
7. Elyria: Good luck in the SWC, where they should at least be middle of the pack in football most years.

Brunswick will be good this year (GCC will have five legit teams) and will be capable of hanging with the top 4, but it would definitely be a shock if they won the league. If I had to rank, it is:

1. Mentor: They steamrolled everybody in the league last year so no question they belong at the top.
2. Medina: This is the beginning of at least a three-year window where they can make some serious noise.
3. Solon: Solon is always going to be competitive, but think Mentor/Medina have a little more talent/depth.
4. Euclid: Rotsky will patch together enough athletes where they will still be a tough team to beat.
5. Brunswick: They are coming back, but 2021 is probably the year they can think about competing for the title.

6. Strongsville: Lou Cirino is a very good coach, but I don't see Strongsville beating any of the teams above.
7. Elyria: Good luck in the SWC, where they should at least be middle of the pack in football most years.
Interesting about Brunswick. I’ll keep my eye on them in 2020, especially their underclassmen. It’s Avon vs Brunswick Week 1 in 2021.

Interesting about Brunswick. I’ll keep my eye on them in 2020, especially their underclassmen. It’s Avon vs Brunswick Week 1 in 2021.

That should be a good game.

Brunswick has been the only team that has given Medina and Mentor challenges at the lower levels the past two years. ... Those three are undefeated against the rest of the league at freshman/JV the past two years, though Brunswick has been third in that pecking order behind Medina and Mentor. Both Medina and Mentor have some loaded looking teams coming up, so not beating them isn't a knock on Brunswick, IMO.

I can't see someone that matches enrollment wise other than Lorain or Berea. This league isn't a better situation for either school
You don't think a league with 4 Westside schools would be appealing to Lorain at all? Don't know about that. Also don't know if the gcc would take them with the school not being in the best state

I don't know if new Lorain coach, James Boyeas, would want to jump into the tough GCC so quickly after taking over. He is trying to rebuild the Titan's program. Shaker Heights is joining the LEL this year to bring them back to 8 teams. The downside for Lorain is that they are the only west side program in the LEL.

Maybe Massillon and McKinley can apply. They've both been having pissing contests downing the fed and wanting competition. This would be just that

Maybe Massillon and McKinley can apply. They've both been having pissing contests downing the fed and wanting competition. This would be just that

LOL, Massillon might apply since no other league in NE Ohio will take them, but doubt it due to distance of the schools. There is zero chance that McKinley would apply, they have no desire to leave the Federal League.

LOL, Massillon might apply since no other league in NE Ohio will take them, but doubt it due to distance of the schools. There is zero chance that McKinley would apply, they have no desire to leave the Federal League.
Figured as much. They got a good thing going with local schools many of whom they dwarf in enrollment

You don't think a league with 4 Westside schools would be appealing to Lorain at all? Don't know about that. Also don't know if the gcc would take them with the school not being in the best state

The west side schools are the same distance as where they are going now. (Brunswick/Medina) is roughly the same distance as any other school in the LEL. Only Strongsville is a few minutes closer

The west side schools are the same distance as where they are going now. (Brunswick/Medina) is roughly the same distance as any other school in the LEL. Only Strongsville is a few minutes closer
What I think Lorain would ultimately like is to join Elyria in the SWC if Berea-Midpark was to leave.

I think the fact the GCC publicly put it out there that they are accepting applications, means there has to be some back channeling going on. I don't see why they would announce anything if they thought it was going to be pointless there wouldn't be realistic applicants.

Who are those applicants going to be, though, is the question? I think Ed's/Iggy should apply just to see what happens. I doubt the GCC would even accept them even if they are the only two school that apply (and adding both would put the league at 8). But they talk about no locals willing to play them, make that be known ... though, maybe that would be why they don't apply, because if they would do that and the league would somehow say OK and they declined, that talking point is out the window.

Other than them, it's hard to see any schools that make sense, but I'm going to take a guess:

1. Lorain: Yes, it doesn't help (nor hurt) their travel. It doesn't help the GCC outside of getting back to at least a more workable 7. But there is a long game that could benefit Lorain. That is basically flipping with Elyria as the school that allies with the block of Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina until something more beneficial comes up. And that could ultimately be a westside league (the Parma situation is to be monitored). Joining now with Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina would pretty much assure that Lorain wouldn't be left out if something like that came along 5-10 years down the line. Plus, they would be at least competitive in football and very competitive in basketball.

2. Brush: On the surface, doesn't make sense that they leave the WRC (and the tight geography). But it's a school that may want to go all-in on basketball and joining the GCC would help elevate what has been a very good program (that just hasn't faced the game-in/out competition in the WRC) for it to translate in the tournament. A move to the GCC (especially along with Lorain) could be exactly what Brush needs to elevate the basketball program to the state level. The GCC has been a meatgrinder there (cardz put the tournament numbers out there on the basketball forum) and adding Lorain/Brush is no dropoff from losing Elyria/Shaker ... and arguably could make the league slightly stronger. Plus, Euclid/Mentor/Solon are close by. As for football, Brush would get slaughtered at first, but maybe they could build a program that in up years can win 3 OOC games, get 3-4 league wins and sneak into the D2 playoffs where they would also be battle tested.

After that, don't see much. Hoban may apply because the NCL broke up, but doubt the league is looking to add an Akron area parochial. Massillon makes some sense since they could definitely compete for the football title, but that helps nobody in travel and Massillon seems to be able to put together a decent schedule with solid teams from out of the area/state willing to go to Massillon on a one-year deal... which wouldn't happen in the GCC.

Berea absolutely won't apply. I'm past even thinking of them of being an option. They would be bottom tier in both football and basketball. They are in a league where travel isn't bad and they can compete better. They know that they would be able to join a future big westside league if one were to come up due to them being essentially right in the middle of it geographically. So, there is no incentive at all for them to make the move at this point.

Last edited:
What I think Lorain would ultimately like is to join Elyria in the SWC if Berea-Midpark was to leave.

I agree. Also, why Lorain may have interest in the GCC. If they show they can be good partners with other suburban schools (kind of like Elyria for the past decade), it should make it more receptive to the SWC to take them. Worst case, Lorain is basically what Berea would be if if a westside league comes up and there is no flipping a SWC school (due to being aligned with Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina).

I think the fact the GCC publicly put it out there that they are accepting applications, means there has to be some back channeling going on. I don't see why they would announce anything if they thought it was going to be pointless there wouldn't be realistic applicants.

Who are those applicants going to be, though, is the question? I think Ed's/Iggy should apply just to see what happens. I doubt the GCC would even accept them even if they are the only two school that apply (and adding both would put the league at 8). But they talk about no locals willing to play them, make that be known ... though, maybe that would be why they don't apply, because if they would do that and the league would somehow say OK and they declined, that talking point is out the window.

Other than them, it's hard to see any schools that make sense, but I'm going to take a guess:

1. Lorain: Yes, it doesn't help (nor hurt) their travel. It doesn't help the GCC outside of getting back to at least a more workable 7. But there is a long game that could benefit Lorain. That is basically flipping with Elyria as the school that allies with the block of Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina until something more beneficial comes up. And that could ultimately be a westside league (the Parma situation is to be monitored). Joining now with Strongsville/Brunswick/Medina would pretty much assure that Lorain wouldn't be left out if something like that came along 5-10 years down the line. Plus, they would be at least competitive in football and very competitive in basketball.

2. Brush: On the surface, doesn't make sense that they leave the WRC (and the tight geography). But it's a school that may want to go all-in on basketball and joining the GCC would help elevate what has been a very good program (that just hasn't faced the game-in/out competition in the WRC) for it to translate in the tournament. A move to the GCC (especially along with Lorain) could be exactly what Brush needs to elevate the basketball program to the state level. The GCC has been a meatgrinder there (cardz put the tournament numbers out there on the basketball forum) and adding Lorain/Brush is no dropoff from losing Elyria/Shaker ... and arguably could make the league slightly stronger. Plus, Euclid/Mentor/Solon are close by. As for football, Brush would get slaughtered at first, but maybe they could build a program that in up years can win 3 OOC games, get 3-4 league wins and sneak into the D2 playoffs where they would also be battle tested.

After that, don't see much. Hoban may apply because the NCL broke up, but doubt the league is looking to add an Akron area parochial. Massillon makes some sense since they could definitely compete for the football title, but that helps nobody in travel and Massillon seems to be able to put together a decent schedule with solid teams from out of the area/state willing to go to Massillon on a one-year deal... which wouldn't happen in the GCC.

Berea absolutely won't apply. I'm past even thinking of them of being an option. They would be bottom tier in both football and basketball. They are in a league where travel isn't bad and they can compete better. They know that they would be able to join a future big westside league if one were to come up due to them being essentially right in the middle of it geographically. So, there is no incentive at all for them to make the move at this point.
Don't see why Eds and Ignatius wouldnt apply. This would be the league that makes most sense to try for. That being said , Mentor is the only school in this league that would ever entertain this. The westside schools and Solon want no part of either school and Euclid only recently dabbled a time or two.

Lorain and Brush would be good. Upgrade in football over Elyria and shaker. And upgrade as a pair in basketball for both

Massillon might apply. They tried for the suburban. Intriguing for football but most of their other other sports would get stomped. They'd have the full travel burden so the other GCC schools prob wouldn't care as much on that

Valid points. I didn't think about the long game with Lorain and the three other west side schools.

The other school of thought is that opportunity would still be there down the line (see your point about Berea) and in the short-term there might be less stability in the GCC than the LEL. What if for example, Euclid took Lorain's vacant spot in the LEL?

First of all - who wins the league. Well, if Medina is going to be as good as SVillegrad says - the league is as open as it ever has been. Mentor is down, though hardly out. Medina, Solon, and Euclid are as good or better as they were in 2019. It will be a real battle between those four. I will give the edge to Mentor due to experience, tradition, and QB play - but this is going to be tight.

Oh wait, I forgot. Mentor beat those three teams by a combined score of 149-14 last year. And one of those scores was on a hail mary by Medina with seconds left against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Mentor takes a step back, yes. But unless any of these teams take three steps forward (or Kipp is injured), this is Mentor's league to lose. In 2021, all bets are off though. If Medina doesn't win the league in 2021, SVillegrad will be eating the biggest plate of crow imaginable. ;)

If I were a betting man, I say nobody applies. And the few that might consider it probably wouldn't be accepted. Let me be Mr Pessimistic here and address some of the names that were mentioned.

St Ignatius/St Edward: First of all, would they want to join? Probably. If there ever was a league either would want to join, this would be it. Gives them a guaranteed seven football games every year, so not sure why they would pass it up. Nobody in the GCC, Mentor included, would or should want them. Why not even Mentor, you say? Well, they already play them in football so they don't need them for their football schedule. What does adding them to the league do besides just upset the remaining members and push them away.

Massillon: I don't think they are looking to join a league for primarily football reasons. Maybe for the Fed, yes that is a major factor. But are they willing to give up 3 or 4 home football games every season to join the GCC? A league where nearly school is an hour or so away? I can see why they want in the Fed. I can even see why the Suburban is worth it. Gives them a somewhat local league, guaranteed games in all sports, and a decent football league where they are top dog. Massillon is desperate for a league, but not GCC-desperate. And even if they somehow got that desperate and applied, I'm not positive they would even be accepted due to their distance.

Lorain: Maybe they want to leave the LEL for travel. But as stated above, the distance traveled in the GCC isn't really much better than the LEL. Strongsville is the closest, and they are still 40+ minutes away. Still a lot of hour drives for Lorain whether they are in the GCC or LEL. Might as well stay put.

Stow: Personally, I would love to have Stow in the league. They are a big school, competitive in many sports, and are closer in proximity than Massillon or Lorain. But they have no reason to leave a perfect league for them. And I don't see any reason why the Suburban would kick them out.

Brush: They did apply for the Suburban, so we know they are looking elsewhere. But with most of these decisions being primarily football-driven, why would Brush want anything to do with the GCC? They don't. They will either stay put or possibly apply to the LEL if there was an opening.

Bedford: Even less reason to consider the GCC than Brush

Berea: Not a bad fit at all IF (and that's a big if right now) the SWC wanted Berea out due to their size. But despite their enrollment, their football success is consistently in the middle of the road at best in the league. Berea has a very nice situation. The only thing I will say about them postiively is that they put Mentor on their football schedule for 2020/2021. That is a somewhat positive sign that Mentor's football success wouldn't scare them off from joining.

NCL fallout: These schools are all too small to consider it. The only team I could see applying is Walsh. They are relatively close to Solon, Brunswick, and Medina. They have boys and girls sports. They are the biggest former NCL team I believe, Division I in all sports but football. I would take Walsh. Another factor in Mentor's favor is that Walsh's coach is a former Mentor assistant. But that connection was stronger when Triv was here. But Walsh is really struggling in football, just 4-36 in the past four seasons. Do they really want Mentor, Euclid, and Solon on their schedule?

The GCC would happily add Berea and Stow (and even Lorain), but unless their leagues are pushing them out - those schools aren't applying.

Valid points. I didn't think about the long game with Lorain and the three other west side schools.

The other school of thought is that opportunity would still be there down the line (see your point about Berea) and in the short-term there might be less stability in the GCC than the LEL. What if for example, Euclid took Lorain's vacant spot in the LEL?

That's a good point with Euclid then jumping back to the LEL, which is why if I was a decision maker in the GCC, I would be going to Brush and trying to convince them that making a move to the GCC would elevate their basketball program (which is the only top tier program the school has). Football has been getting stomped in the WRC, so what's the difference between 4-6 in the WRC vs. 1-9 in the GCC? Neither has them in the playoff picture or drawing big crowds.

I don't see Euclid leaving the GCC if the league can add Brush to go along with Mentor and Solon still as eastside partners. Plus, Euclid does have high aspirations for football (the new stadium is an example of the investment). Going back to the LEL is a huge step back as it would be just them Cleveland Heights and Maple Heights with a pulse.

I don’t think many teams are jumping at the change to leave their leagues to play the big boys in the GCC
So they’ll probably have to look at teams who are already independent.
The private schools are probably out because I know that the GCC middle school teams play as well.
So the school that would intrigue me the most is Massillon.
They’re definitely interested in a league since they applied to the Suburban League, and they can hold their own in football.

If I were a betting man, I say nobody applies. And the few that might consider it probably wouldn't be accepted. Let me be Mr Pessimistic here and address some of the names that were mentioned.

St Ignatius/St Edward: First of all, would they want to join? Probably. If there ever was a league either would want to join, this would be it. Gives them a guaranteed seven football games every year, so not sure why they would pass it up. Nobody in the GCC, Mentor included, would or should want them. Why not even Mentor, you say? Well, they already play them in football so they don't need them for their football schedule. What does adding them to the league do besides just upset the remaining members and push them away.

Massillon: I don't think they are looking to join a league for primarily football reasons. Maybe for the Fed, yes that is a major factor. But are they willing to give up 3 or 4 home football games every season to join the GCC? A league where nearly school is an hour or so away? I can see why they want in the Fed. I can even see why the Suburban is worth it. Gives them a somewhat local league, guaranteed games in all sports, and a decent football league where they are top dog. Massillon is desperate for a league, but not GCC-desperate. And even if they somehow got that desperate and applied, I'm not positive they would even be accepted due to their distance.

Lorain: Maybe they want to leave the LEL for travel. But as stated above, the distance traveled in the GCC isn't really much better than the LEL. Strongsville is the closest, and they are still 40+ minutes away. Still a lot of hour drives for Lorain whether they are in the GCC or LEL. Might as well stay put.

Stow: Personally, I would love to have Stow in the league. They are a big school, competitive in many sports, and are closer in proximity than Massillon or Lorain. But they have no reason to leave a perfect league for them. And I don't see any reason why the Suburban would kick them out.

Brush: They did apply for the Suburban, so we know they are looking elsewhere. But with most of these decisions being primarily football-driven, why would Brush want anything to do with the GCC? They don't. They will either stay put or possibly apply to the LEL if there was an opening.

Bedford: Even less reason to consider the GCC than Brush

Berea: Not a bad fit at all IF (and that's a big if right now) the SWC wanted Berea out due to their size. But despite their enrollment, their football success is consistently in the middle of the road at best in the league. Berea has a very nice situation. The only thing I will say about them postiively is that they put Mentor on their football schedule for 2020/2021. That is a somewhat positive sign that Mentor's football success wouldn't scare them off from joining.

NCL fallout: These schools are all too small to consider it. The only team I could see applying is Walsh. They are relatively close to Solon, Brunswick, and Medina. They have boys and girls sports. They are the biggest former NCL team I believe, Division I in all sports but football. I would take Walsh. Another factor in Mentor's favor is that Walsh's coach is a former Mentor assistant. But that connection was stronger when Triv was here. But Walsh is really struggling in football, just 4-36 in the past four seasons. Do they really want Mentor, Euclid, and Solon on their schedule?

The GCC would happily add Berea and Stow (and even Lorain), but unless their leagues are pushing them out - those schools aren't applying.
If it was up to me, I would swap out Berea-Midpark for Lorain in the SWC, but not much of the SWC would do it. Lorain is a financially troubled district at this time, more than most, as I believe they are under close watch by the state. For purely sports and geography, though, I would love to have Lorain in the SWC.

As for the topic at hand of the GCC....I see the pro and con list for Lorain regarding GCC vs LEL. The LEL would seem on the surface to be a better cultural fit (as Shaker infamously voiced), the competition is good enough in basketball and the travel is a little more favorable, but the GCC is the more overall competitive group of schools across the board and would be better for Lorain IMO.

That's a good point with Euclid then jumping back to the LEL, which is why if I was a decision maker in the GCC, I would be going to Brush and trying to convince them that making a move to the GCC would elevate their basketball program (which is the only top tier program the school has). Football has been getting stomped in the WRC, so what's the difference between 4-6 in the WRC vs. 1-9 in the GCC? Neither has them in the playoff picture or drawing big crowds.

I don't see Euclid leaving the GCC if the league can add Brush to go along with Mentor and Solon still as eastside partners.

I believe that Brush made it to the playoffs in football (beating Hudson too!) not even three years ago. Did a bunch of athletes transfer or did the talent pool drop? And as far as the GCC goes, the one school I could see could joining is Cleveland Heights. But they're a perfect fit in the LEL, especially with Shaker Heights returning to the league this fall.

Honestly, I could see either Berea-Midpark or Walsh Jesuit getting into the league.

I believe that Brush made it to the playoffs in football (beating Hudson too!) not even three years ago. Did a bunch of athletes transfer or did the talent pool drop? And as far as the GCC goes, the one school I could see could joining is Cleveland Heights. But they're a perfect fit in the LEL, especially with Shaker Heights returning to the league this fall.

Honestly, I could see either Berea-Midpark or Walsh Jesuit getting into the league.

Yeah, Brush did have a good team a couple of years ago and indeed did beat Hudson in the playoffs. They also went to the playoffs in 2013 and lost to Glenville in the first round. They seem to pop up with a good team every five or so years then fall back down to the 0-4 win range for four years.

I didn't mention Cleveland Heights only because I assumed a big reason Shaker went back to the LEL is to rekindle the rivalry with Heights. I'm sure that played a big part, but if Heights does have aspirations to elevate its football program (which has been the most consistent in the LEL), a jump to the GCC would make sense, especially if Lorain comes along. That would take the league's two top schools and make the GCC a grind from top to bottom. It also adds two top tier basketball schools, again raising the league's already high profile there.

For the LEL, I see Brush jumping to take one of the spots. Shaker/Brush/Garfield Heights/Maple Heights/Bedford is a solid foundation of nearby schools that are a step below the GCC in football, which would make it very competitive (Shaker definitely hasn't been as bad as its records indicate). Add in Warrensville in basketball and it would definitely help up Brush's league competition. I could see Harvey being interested in the 8th spot.

Perry then seems like it could be a good fit to replace Brush in the WRC (played Madison, Chardon, Riverside in OOC last year anyway). The CVC has so many schools, I'm guessing they would be able to shift things around.

That would put it like this after the shakeups:

GCC - Cleveland Heights, Euclid, Mentor, Solon, Lorain, Strongsville, Medina, Brunswick
LEL - Brush, Harvey, Warrensville, Shaw, Shaker, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, Bedford
WRC - Perry, Chardon, Riverside, Mayfield, Willoughby South, Eastlake North, Madison, Kenston

There is going to be warts with every league or else there wouldn't be as much shifting around as there has been recently. With that, I don't see anything that sticks out as a non-starter in any of these. EDIT: I was thinking Perry may not exactly fit the WRC being DIV, but at least to me it kind of flew under the radar how strong of a program that has been for the past 5-6 years. Plus, they have pretty much played three current WRC teams OOC almost every single year for the past decade (and looks like they have won a hell of a lot more than they lost).

Last edited: