CoronaVirus

When has the entire country shut down over a virus? Heck we didnt do it after 9/11.

Who cares if it's highly contagious when the vast majority, over 90%, are mild cases?

I guess we'll start shutting down every fall for the flu.
Y2h you strike me as a normally reasonable person, probably young, likely far right with a strong work ethic that may cloud your view on this issue.

I had similar initial thoughts about the virus.

The impact it has on my personal health to this point is zero, making it easy to view others as overreacting. I too view life as always having risk, and not knowing what day or hour I will one day be finished here, so why go to inordinate measures to try to extend life at the cost of the pleasure of life?

I read about the Spanish flu many years ago and was left with the mindset of "what a terrible disease, glad I'm living at this modern time".

I bet many people had the same outlook about the Spanish flu in their day. They , if not directly affected by it, likely saw it as a disease they didn't want, but would not let it bother their carrying on of their daily life and expansion of materialistic endeavors. It is collective history that paints the stark picture and causes people today to look back with empathy for the people who endured such heartache at the hands of a virus.

I remember talking to my grandparents born in 1898, who had a child and farm during the Spanish flu era, they said they new of it, but were not aware until later how devastating it was to so many people. I think that is like many today. We are too close to this now to see just how history will record it. It does not feel like any major personal problem so why interrupt our lives for such petty purposes? One day you and I may look back and see we were wrong, and adjust our view.

Y2h you strike me as a normally reasonable person, probably young, likely far right with a strong work ethic that may cloud your view on this issue.

I had similar initial thoughts about the virus.

The impact it has on my personal health to this point is zero, making it easy to view others as overreacting. I too view life as always having risk, and not knowing what day or hour I will one day be finished here, so why go to inordinate measures to try to extend life at the cost of the pleasure of life?

I read about the Spanish flu many years ago and was left with the mindset of "what a terrible disease, glad I'm living at this modern time".

I bet many people had the same outlook about the Spanish flu in their day. They , if not directly affected by it, likely saw it as a disease they didn't want, but would not let it bother their carrying on of their daily life and expansion of materialistic endeavors. It is collective history that paints the stark picture and causes people today to look back with empathy for the people who endured such heartache at the hands of a virus.

I remember talking to my grandparents born in 1898, who had a child and farm during the Spanish flu era, they said they new of it, but were not aware until later how devastating it was to so many people. I think that is like many today. We are too close to this now to see just how history will record it. It does not feel like any major personal problem so why interrupt our lives for such petty purposes? One day you and I may look back and see we were wrong, and adjust our view.
In future when we have a vaccine and other treaments to help alleviate symptoms , and a player on any level any sport or in general tests postive for corona do we again quarantaine for 14 days that person and anyone they come into contact with. When does the normal actually get back to the norm?

y2h be like:

Attachments

• 25A21AB7-FFE4-4E6E-BE4C-BBEC14618C14.jpeg
    25A21AB7-FFE4-4E6E-BE4C-BBEC14618C14.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
So exposure isnt how you build immunity. Good stuff.

CONTROLLED exposure y2h. You seem to be missing the importance of that detail. It takes time for immunities to build. If infection outpaces immunity, which is the present condition, well, do the Math.

A few months, heck a year I bet you can hold out. If it gets too much for you? Sure go find others similarly panicked and swap spit. Put yourself on the darwin path. You may come out stronger. You may not. But by that time, hopefully the medical capacity will be at a place where it will not break.

Your choice but please, don't force yours on others. It is those putting themselves first and not following the guidelines who are putting us on a path towards civil action, not those listening to the people on the front lines and following their direction.

The future is the future. None of us have any idea how long this will go. Let's talk in the present:
1. many people are putting their lives at risk for the rest of us and working endless hours upon hours for the rest of us. We should be extremely appreciative!
2. many people have family members they can not see.
3. many people can't work and have no idea where their next meal is coming from or if there is a next meal.
4. many people ARE social distancing as requested by the healthcare EXPERTS. And the selfish are not being obedient, the unselfish are doing their very best and staying HOME.
5. many people are being pulled off of ventilators to save others and they will die.
6. many people are burying loved ones. And can not even have proper funerals.

I could go on and on... But even if it's for 1 day, can't everyone be compassionate regarding some of the above tragic things that are going on around us, and just be sensitive to their needs, unselfish about our wants, and truly be humble to this very sad situation the world is in.

Last edited:
We will be back to life as we know if Mid May. The government does not have the resources to sustain this shutdown, without risking true economic depression. It is not government's job to care for and rear the individual - it's simply not capable of it.

Governors will be shown the hard economic facts. Asked to knock off the daily pressers. Information on the spread / or re-occurance, will slow to a trickle at best. Because of this, all activities will return to as an "as normal as possible" basis. It's one of the benefits, of the death of print media, and the "insider age" of information Decemination.... It takes very few people / suppliers of information to be influenced to change a national narrative.

Not a conspiracy person. I am taking this situation very very seriously. You just have to realize NONE of us are all that important to the picture of the greater whole. Efforts will have been made. Then it will be time to move on.

Hopefully kids are training on their own - for their own mental and physical wellness, as well as to get ready for the Fall Season.

Politicians have offices to pursue - by providing good news. Districts have levies to pass / initiatives to support. Private schools have bills to pay and perspective students to attract. Life will go on... Much sooner than people here may believe. (Just my opinion.)

Posted on another thread - would like to share here, for feedback as well.

We will be back to life as we know if Mid May. The government does not have the resources to sustain this shutdown, without risking true economic depression. It is not government's job to care for and rear the individual - it's simply not capable of it.

Governors will be shown the hard economic facts. Asked to knock off the daily pressers. Information on the spread / or re-occurance, will slow to a trickle at best. Because of this, all activities will return to as an "as normal as possible" basis. It's one of the benefits, of the death of print media, and the "insider age" of information Decemination.... It takes very few people / suppliers of information to be influenced to change a national narrative.

Not a conspiracy person. I am taking this situation very very seriously. You just have to realize NONE of us are all that important to the picture of the greater whole. Efforts will have been made. Then it will be time to move on.

Hopefully kids are training on their own - for their own mental and physical wellness, as well as to get ready for the Fall Season.

Politicians have offices to pursue - by providing good news. Districts have levies to pass / initiatives to support. Private schools have bills to pay and perspective students to attract. Life will go on... Much sooner than people here may believe. (Just my opinion.)

Very rosey picture you paint here.

Some private schools are going to be barely able to open their doors, let alone provide athletics. My wife got a call from the private school she teaches at a couple days ago and essentially they said "brace yourself and bend over". They paint a very disappointing picture as they will have lost 25% of revenue in an already tight budget if we get to the end of the year without opening.

Some parents have figured out they may as well withdraw from school and enroll in the public school since both are at home and neither are teaching the curriculum they had planned. Saves about two months tuition but I wonder if that screws up sports eligibility for kids in high school?

Some private schools are going to be barely able to open their doors, let alone provide athletics. My wife got a call from the private school she teaches at a couple days ago and essentially they said "brace yourself and bend over". They paint a very disappointing picture as they will have lost 25% of revenue in an already tight budget if we get to the end of the year without opening.

Some parents have figured out they may as well withdraw from school and enroll in the public school since both are at home and neither are teaching the curriculum they had planned. Saves about two months tuition but I wonder if that screws up sports eligibility for kids in high school?
Some interesting issues that you bring up.

Some private schools could be in trouble because they could lose their funding from their main source, the parents. Every kid that withdraws from the school will hurt that school system.

Public schools might be building a nice little chest of money because their main source of income, property taxes, will continue as usual. Their actual costs might go down creating a little nest egg.

How will the OHSAA handle eligibility for kids that transfer will also be interesting? Assuming Spring sports are cancelled, anyone who transfers to a new school will be eligible to participate fully in the Spring sport at their new school in 2021 without any restrictions. The reason is that you are ineligible only in sports that you previously played at your former school in the last 12 months. If they are cancelled, no one will be restricted. For the Fall and Winter sports, the OHSAA might have a new exception if there are significant amount of transfers due to family issues caused by the shutdowns.

"rosey" can have a negative connotation (can't it?). I'd describe the position as more pragmatic with a slight lean towards hopeful. I think that's a normal position to take just to survive mentally the ordeal. I wouldn't argue it.

Much of the ability of a private school to survive is the foresight to take care of the financial endowment. Most of the grade schools are not equipped to support themselves in the event of a downturn in revenue, because they have never been able to build up the endowment. I am surprised at the number of high schools ( Catholic) which have very small savings in their fund; they will suffer greatly. The places which have planned for the future will be just fine. It's the grade schools that will bear the brunt.

Thanks for sharing the video. And hopefully the "non believers" actually watch, sit-up, take notice, and take action and the recommendations from the health EXPERTS. STAY HOME!

Here is a tweet Vox put out on January 31st that has since been since deleted. Vox was too focused on impeachment at the time.
“What is this #coronavirus? It’s part of a family of viruses that attack the respiratory system. Should I travel during the outbreak? The CDC and the State Department advise avoiding China for now. Is this going to be a deadly pandemic? No.”

The US health experts also told us 3 weeks ago masks weren't helpful, and we're constantly getting wildly swinging models estimating infection and fatality counts. What's the point? We can at least question what's being thrown at us, or aren't we allowed? The experts have proven to be incorrect or contradictory many times since this thing started.

Yes it's a terrible thing. Yes terrible things happened all the time before we ever heard of Covid19. So when should the shuttering end BK? Once we have a vaccine? Once the curve flattens and the healthcare system won't be overwhelmed? If we do flatten the curve is there an acceptable level of death for you or not?

Am I allowed to be concerned about the massive hit this ecomomy is taking, and the effects of the sit around and unemployment? And what's the collateral. Historical stats suggest increased drug and alchohal use, increased depression and suicide. What about the people that aren't going to be able to pay their bills or their mortgate. Some will be homeless.

On the other hand should government continue to throw money at people while almost every industry cuts production (except if you're lucky enough to be in healthcare and health related industries). Now Trump is tweeting about another 2T for infrastructure, and Pelosi and Shumer are already talking about stimulus package 4 and 5. Does it matter we're not far that away from looking like the New Deal 1930's.....relatively high unemployment, infation, and low GDP? Only WWII saved that ecomomic mess.

We better all soon start thinking about what's an acceptable amount of Corona death to live with, because I don't really see how the current model of shelter and fear is economically sustainable. Nor do I want to see this country's ecomony nationalized because we've decided to continue the current model for months or years.

Not to be rude, but I really don't give 2 stones about what YOU think. EVERY health expert has made it very clear. We must stop/slow the spread and without a vaccine, the BEST and ONLY way is to stay home. Maybe when someone you know is on a respirator or even worse they decide to pull them off of it and let them die, you will change your thinking. People like you are the ones putting the rest of us at risk as well as potentially prolonging the stoppage of this virus. This is about humanity. Where is yours?

Where in his post did he say he wasn't practicing social distancing? Did you even read his post?

Where in his post did he say he wasn't practicing social distancing? Did you even read his post?
I deleted it. I read it and got some good vibes and some bad vibes. I am really reacting from my heart. I have a 92 year old mom that is sick, not with covid-19 and am concerned for her. I also have asthma and am concerned for me and my family. It is time for me to just back off regarding this subject. I have made enough posts about it. Time to spend less time regarding this issue and more on football if I'm posting.

Last edited:
I deleted it. I read it and got some good vibes and some bad vibes. I am really reacting from my heart. I have a 92 year old mom that is sick, not with cover-19 and am concerned for her. I also have asthma and am concerned for me and my family. It is time for me to just back off regarding this subject. I have made enough posts about it. Time to spend less time regarding this issue and more on football if I'm posting.

That's good advice for all of us. We shouldn't be so pre-occupied with this that we can't function or minimize stress. Good health to you and your family.

That's good advice for all of us. We shouldn't be so pre-occupied with this that we can't function or minimize stress. Good health to you and your family.

We're not allowed to go anywhere and have been advised staying in our house is best. Some have lost their jobs so no work to do. No live sports to watch and we have wall to wall to corona coverage packaged in a way that creates fear more than calm. Has it ever been more difficult not to be pre-occupied with something?

We're not allowed to go anywhere and have been advised staying in our house is best. Some have lost their jobs so no work to do. No live sports to watch and we have wall to wall to corona coverage packaged in a way that creates fear more than calm. Has it ever been more difficult not to be pre-occupied with something?

It has not. but we need to try to latch onto something else for a respite, or we will drive ourselves crazy. It's perhaps the most difficult thing we've experienced, but we also need to back off sometimes and read or talk about something else.

This is just like the flu, right?

Attachments

• D185B1DE-77C6-4A0E-AF57-591E5FE5A55D.jpeg
    D185B1DE-77C6-4A0E-AF57-591E5FE5A55D.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 18
  • E63EE7F3-17B3-4A04-8B01-1FF772D45249.jpeg
    E63EE7F3-17B3-4A04-8B01-1FF772D45249.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 3CB44C35-4883-47A9-84EA-970EC2BC9037.jpeg
    3CB44C35-4883-47A9-84EA-970EC2BC9037.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 15
We had over 1,000 new deaths yesterday from this. And the number per day is rising. Only a few cities have really hit the brunt of it yet.

Local hospital put up a lot of tents outside the hospital as well.
Think we have 4 total case in the county and its just precautionary.
Still have more people who have died in boating accidents in the area than from this......

Do you have any idea how epidemiological modeling works?

The effort to contain the virus has not been taken seriously by governors and citizens in several states. They were still going by the false claims that it was a hoax or not a big thing. Florida just locked down, after sending thousands of kids through the country after they left their beaches open for Spring Break, and the Gov of Georgia claimed that he "just found out" that it could be transmitted by asymptomatic people, even though the information has been out there for months. Ignorance, whether deliberate or not, will hinder this country in its efforts to control the spread. This will delay our getting back to " normal."

Last edited:
The effort to contain the virus has not been taken seriously by governors and citizens in several states. They were still going by the false claims that it was a hoax or not a big thing. Florida just locked down, after sending thousands of kids through the country after they left their beaches open for Spring Break, and the Gov of Georgia claimed that he "just found out" that it could be transmitted by asymptomatic people, even though the information has been out there for months. Ignorance, whether deliberate or not, will hinder this country in its efforts to control the spread. This will delay our getting back to " normal."

What's the reason Texas has less fatalities then Ohio with 3 times the population? They were behind Ohio in business closures. DeWine had to be first to everything right. Surely Texas would have at least 3 times more fatalites than Ohio based on populaton alone? Or should they have 6 times, 10 times more, whatever times more because they were later to shutter?

Reality is corona is going to be around for long time. The sheltering in place is only going to slow the fatality count not stop it. Let's assume all the uninfected are allowed back out in August as AZwildcat suggested if we're lucky. Or let's say it's after that, anytime in 2021 while this thing is still around. No immunity build up from the people ordered to stay home and we get to experience wave #2 of the spread, followed up a month after that with the orders to hideaway in our houses again. This thing is spreading no matter what. We have 2 approaches: 1.) eventually decide to rip the band-aid off and take it on the chin. 2) Shelter in place until deep into 2021 or longer, which will not stop the infections and death, it will only slow it to an "acceptable" pace. We still end up with whatever number of fatalities, we've just controlled how long it took to get there.

After the way this has been handled to date, we all know option #2 is how this is going to play out. We're going to have multiple calamities as a result; there will be high corana fatalities, we'll have a further collapsing of the economy and my guess is ~ 40M unemployed before it's done, increased domestic violence/suicide/alchohalism/drug use/depression as a result of sitting around doing nothing for over a year, a decline in production, possible inflation that comes with no production, a gigantic government that will have an unprecendented level of control, no sports regardless of level. Remote education and extracirriculars cancelled at every level. But we'll have reduced pressure on the health system and these governors will have saved their political careers, possibly.

Now I have no expectation here, but how about a response from one of the pro-shutterers. What's the acceptable level of corona death before we change approaches? If it's zero, ok. If it's something more than zero what is it? Or is it whenever DeWine or the "experts" says it's ok? Is it after the election November 4th?