2019-20 Mr Basketball Candidates

In the hundreds of games played in Ohio this year with these types of margins how many has anyone seen where a player scored 40? My answer is 0 and it is not because multiple players were not capable......and that is my point.

I have seen these types of teams, you can name the score and pick who you want to score any given time down the floor. Who you play for, who you play against and what your coaches' agenda is matters. Not the players fault, but come on this is a joke.

1. 9-11 Heartland Christian 97-41 (56 point margin)
2. 3-14 Valley Christian 80-51 (29 point margin)
3. 9-11 Girard 114-47 (67 point margin)
4. 8-11 Lakeview 83-42 (41 point margin)
5. 3-15 McKinley 92-55 (37 point margin)
6. 7-14 Western Reserve 90-41 (49 point margin)
7. 9-11 Loellville 91-49 (41 point margin)
8. 6-12 Jackson Milton 85-46 (39 point margin)
9. 9-11 Lowellville 91-69 (22 point margin)
10. 6-12 Jackson Milton 90-66 (24 point margin)

In the hundreds of games played in Ohio this year with these types of margins how many has anyone seen where a player scored 40? My answer is 0 and it is not because multiple players were not capable......and that is my point.

I have seen these types of teams, you can name the score and pick who you want to score any given time down the floor. Who you play for, who you play against and what your coaches' agenda is matters. Not the players fault, but come on this is a joke.

1. 9-11 Heartland Christian 97-41 (56 point margin)
2. 3-14 Valley Christian 80-51 (29 point margin)
3. 9-11 Girard 114-47 (67 point margin)
4. 8-11 Lakeview 83-42 (41 point margin)
5. 3-15 McKinley 92-55 (37 point margin)
6. 7-14 Western Reserve 90-41 (49 point margin)
7. 9-11 Loellville 91-49 (41 point margin)
8. 6-12 Jackson Milton 85-46 (39 point margin)
9. 9-11 Lowellville 91-69 (22 point margin)
10. 6-12 Jackson Milton 90-66 (24 point margin)
Last night, McDonald (Division IV) beat Youngstown East (Division II, with a 10-man rotation and lots of athletic kids), 75 to 62.
Rasile scored 41 for McDonald.

If this kid was really good he would be D1 and you wouldn't have to make excuses about his height (see Joe Girard and Ryan McMahon)

D1 isn’t the sole qualification of being “really good”. Not sure everyone’s fixation in that, the kid has had a great high school career.

I agree but scoring 20 points in the 2nd half of a game that you are up 35 at half time to prop up stats doesn't tell me anything other than the coach is a "Richard" or is making up for something pertaining to said "Richard".

You just don't pull that B.S.

If this kid was really good he would be D1 and you wouldn't have to make excuses about his height (see Joe Girard and Ryan McMahon)
You couldn’t be more wrong. A few years ago Berlin Hiland had two kids both about 6’6” or so. Very talented. One went to West Liberty. The other, I believe, went to Findlay because he wanted to play right away, I guess there are no talented kids that play D2.

I can't help but laugh at these kinds of statements. You basically demean the fact that he's going to a D2 college - it just shows that you're ignorant in the college that he chose altogether. There are kids every single day, in all sports that choose to be the big fish in a small pond over being the small fish in the big pond and thats exactly what Rasile did. Secondly, I don't care if John Wooden/Bobby Knight/Mike Krzyzewski are his coach - you act like the kid is scoring 25 a game - he's going to finish 2nd ALL TIME is scoring in the state. You obviously can't fathom the accomplishment that is. He passed some guy named LEBRON a couple weeks ago......but yeah, clearly he must be getting 40 points a game and over 2600 points for a career because his dad is his coach.....

Last thing - based on your assessment of him....I guess the opposing teams that they play against just don't guard him right? I mean after all, he's a 6ft tall white kid - how good could he really be?! On that note, if he was 6'3", he'd be going to a major school....but he can't control how tall he is....there, now you have something you can ACTUALLY blame on his dad! ?
Well said. He had, I believe, 22 at the half against Youngstown East. So he is not getting all of his points in garbage time.

You couldn’t be more wrong. A few years ago Berlin Hiland had two kids both about 6’6” or so. Very talented. One went to West Liberty. The other, I believe, went to Findlay because he wanted to play right away, I guess there are no talented kids that play D2.
Seger Bonifant and Dylan Kaufman. They also had another 6’6 kid too that played. Bonifant was the one who transferred in from Strasburg I believe and it was controversial.

Prater was Mr. Football and Wyoming is D4. St. Vincent St. Mary is D2 or 3 they don’t have any really good players?

Great comparison. West Liberty and Findlay vs. Syracuse and Louisville. Apart from basketball, how do you get a job going to West Liberty????

Obviously everyone here watches A LOT of basketball - lots of different teams, tons of different players. I'm betting we've all seen our share of great games and complete blowouts. How many people on here have seen ANYONE score 40 in a game this year? Be honest, it's just a question. I am in a gym watching basketball 5-6 days per week both girls and boys in roughly 8 different conferences that have D1 through D4 schools, I've not seen 1 player score 30 in a game this year.....

I understand about ALL the arguments about the size of the school he plays for, I understand all the argument about competition. But for just one second can we all actually think about how many times we've seen 40 points scored by one player in any high school game we've ever seen, not just this year. It is rare. Rasile does it NIGHTLY. Also, for those talking about him not getting guarded - you're not watching or seeing the games, clearly. He constantly has junk defenses thrown at him - and teams do pick him up full court or at half court because he is literally a threat to shoot and make as soon as he crosses half court - he has virtually unlimited range.

Again, I know people against him on here are trying to give him some credit - but come on folks, think about it! 40 points in a game - how many times have you really seen it - at any level?

Obviously everyone here watches A LOT of basketball - lots of different teams, tons of different players. I'm betting we've all seen our share of great games and complete blowouts. How many people on here have seen ANYONE score 40 in a game this year? Be honest, it's just a question. I am in a gym watching basketball 5-6 days per week both girls and boys in roughly 8 different conferences that have D1 through D4 schools, I've not seen 1 player score 30 in a game this year.....

I understand about ALL the arguments about the size of the school he plays for, I understand all the argument about competition. But for just one second can we all actually think about how many times we've seen 40 points scored by one player in any high school game we've ever seen, not just this year. It is rare. Rasile does it NIGHTLY. Also, for those talking about him not getting guarded - you're not watching or seeing the games, clearly. He constantly has junk defenses thrown at him - and teams do pick him up full court or at half court because he is literally a threat to shoot and make as soon as he crosses half court - he has virtually unlimited range.

Again, I know people against him on here are trying to give him some credit - but come on folks, think about it! 40 points in a game - how many times have you really seen it - at any level?
I'm in NW Ohio and multiple kids have had 30+ games with a couple averaging over 24 in some of the most competitive leagues here.

I'm in NW Ohio and multiple kids have had 30+ games with a couple averaging over 24 in some of the most competitive leagues here.
I was just saying I personally can't recall seeing a 30 point performance THIS season. I was asking if anyone has seen 40+ and how many times they've seen it...?

I have seen 4 30 point games.

Great player, even better shooter. I just want to see Mr. Basketball play against top competition in order to measure him against his peers. If you have a player with that ability, why not up the schedule to challenge both him and the team?

I have been consistent on this (may be consistently wrong - but at least consistent). If you are not playing a competitive schedule I am not sure how a Mr. Basketball level player can be judged. He is just toying with a bunch of very average players. I said the same thing with Zeb Jackson (Top 100 recruit) prior to transferring to Montverde. Great player with all the measurables, but played a weak schedule so it was tough for me to compare him to other top players in the state and I am a Zeb Jackson fan.

As far as scoring 40, that is 100% dependent on the coach in many of these games. I have seen guys score 18 in the 1st quarter, be pushing 30 at the half, but then become distributors for about 4 minutes in the 3rd and don't play after that. That is not the outlier either, the same thing took place in at least 10 games by 3 players (all college $$$ guys) on the same D3 team. But you can't play that way vs good teams and win. So they didn't play that way vs the bad teams on their schedule.

If the coach was pushing one guy night in and night out to score 40 any of the 3 could have done it because they could handle the ball and shot at a highly efficient rate. The TEAM as a whole shot 45%/57%/76% and that was while playing a strong non-league schedule. 6 D1 teams (Kentucky Regional Finalist, Tennessee Regional Finalist), D2 Regional Finalist, 2 D3 Regional Teams, 1 D3 State Final team, D3 Michigan Final 4, D4 Regional Finalist 2x, prior year D4 State Champs.

They didn't always play that kind of schedule, but the coach saw the ability and was more interested in developing guys and preparing for the tournament than one guys scoring 3,000 points. The McDonald coach appears to have one priority.

There is also talk about his size, 6 foot is great size for a high school guard and perfect size for a D1 point guard.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the banter here, the listing of top players and of course the Rasile family going to bat for his/her son. He is a helluva player but not Mr. Basketball.

I have seen 4 30 point games.

Great player, even better shooter. I just want to see Mr. Basketball play against top competition in order to measure him against his peers. If you have a player with that ability, why not up the schedule to challenge both him and the team?

I have been consistent on this (may be consistently wrong - but at least consistent). If you are not playing a competitive schedule I am not sure how a Mr. Basketball level player can be judged. He is just toying with a bunch of very average players. I said the same thing with Zeb Jackson (Top 100 recruit) prior to transferring to Montverde. Great player with all the measurables, but played a weak schedule so it was tough for me to compare him to other top players in the state and I am a Zeb Jackson fan.

As far as scoring 40, that is 100% dependent on the coach in many of these games. I have seen guys score 18 in the 1st quarter, be pushing 30 at the half, but then become distributors for about 4 minutes in the 3rd and don't play after that. That is not the outlier either, the same thing took place in at least 10 games by 3 players (all college $$$ guys) on the same D3 team. But you can't play that way vs good teams and win. So they didn't play that way vs the bad teams on their schedule.

If the coach was pushing one guy night in and night out to score 40 any of the 3 could have done it because they could handle the ball and shot at a highly efficient rate. The TEAM as a whole shot 45%/57%/76% and that was while playing a strong non-league schedule. 6 D1 teams (Kentucky Regional Finalist, Tennessee Regional Finalist), D2 Regional Finalist, D3 Michigan Final 4, D4 Regional Finalist 2x, prior year D4 State Champs.

They didn't always play that kind of schedule, but the coach saw the ability and was more interested in developing guys and preparing for the tournament than one guys scoring 3,000 points. The McDonald coach appears to have one priority.

There is also talk about his size, 6 foot is great size for a high school guard and perfect size for a D1 point guard.
Well, McDonald IS a D4 school. When you talk about playing a stronger schedule, they have done that. They are obviously not going to schedule many, if any, D1 schools. I would guess very few D4 schools do that. But McDonald has played at least four D2 schools this year and the No. 1 seed in the D4 Orwell District and they beat all of those teams. They play, I believe 14 conference games and 4 of those are against two very good D3 schools. I would say that is a pretty competitive schedule for a D4 school.

Rasile had the chance to transfer to a bigger school and play for a D1 team. He chose not to do that. And it wasn’t because he would not do well in that situation or would not score as much. His friends are on that team. McDonald is a small, close knit community with great athletic traditions in several sports like football, basketball, cross country and track. I respect the decision he made. McDonald has an excellent chance to make it to Regionals.
As a side note, I see Lucas is the No. 1 seed in the Willard District so there is a chance McDonald could play Lucas in a Reg. semifinal. That would be cool since Lucas beat McDonald in OT, 21-20, in the football playoffs this past year.

If you have to fight that hard for a kid- he ain’t Mr. Basketball
I’m not saying he should be Mr. Basketball. There are many great candidates. Just defending a very good basketball player from unwarranted criticism. Actually, what should be done is have a Mr. Basketball for each division. Not fair to compare D1 to D4 players. Even if a D4 player IS as good as a D1, he will never win the argument because of schedule and talent they play against.

Rasile had the chance to transfer to a bigger school and play for a D1 team. He chose not to do that. And it wasn’t because he would not do well in that situation or would not score as much. His friends are on that team. McDonald is a small, close knit community with great athletic traditions in several sports like football, basketball, cross country and track. I respect the decision he made. McDonald has an excellent chance to make it to Regionals.
As a side note, I see Lucas is the No. 1 seed in the Willard District so there is a chance McDonald could play Lucas in a Reg. semifinal. That would be cool since Lucas beat McDonald in OT, 21-20, in the football playoffs this past year.
D1 meant college not high school . . .

I’m not saying he should be Mr. Basketball. There are many great candidates. Just defending a very good basketball player from unwarranted criticism. Actually, what should be done is have a Mr. Basketball for each division. Not fair to compare D1 to D4 players. Even if a D4 player IS as good as a D1, he will never win the argument because of schedule and talent they play against.
This is a discussion about the merits of potential candidates for Mr. Basketball- saying that discussions/comparisons about the player is “unwarranted criticism” is rather soft.
Wanting to change it to have a winner in each division is even worse. There is already player of the year in each division- this is a special honor that has different criteria.

If you have to fight that hard for a kid- he ain’t Mr. Basketball
My thoughts exactly. The kid can clearly score the ball. I feel like he's stat padding so he can break some records its nothing great about that IMO. Is he leading the team to state championships? What else is there to prove that this kid is the greatest basketball player in the state other than he's dropping 40 against teams struggling to get guys on the court and he's going to and D2 school

Malachi Branham 6-6 Akron STVM (2021)If he were playing for a OHSAA school 6-6 Chris Livingston (2022). 6-4 Sencire Harris Akron STVM (2022). All 3 should be on the watch list for 2020-21. Branham is rated the number one prospect in the 2021 Class Livingston & Harris are rated 1 & 2 in the 2022 class