2019 Mid-State League

Ready might have something to say about the battle for Fortress now that its our adopted home field
Did not know that. I know that Bexley borrowed the Fortress last year when they hosted us, I think their field was being resurfaced at the time?

EDIT: Ah, now I see the link where you're playing 4 home games at the Fortress. To sound stupid, I was unaware Ready didn't have a proper stadium until just now. Saw an article from a few years back that discussed the lack of land to build.

I remember Wehrle using our stadium as their home field back in the 1970's. They had a decent field with a track, just no bleachers.

Honestly though, only Hamilton Township can only use the Battle At The Fortress phrase, since it's endorsed by Obetz. You'll have to come up with something different, like "Tilt Under The Tower". :giggle:

https://obetz.oh.us/events/obetz-bowl/
Do either of you by chance know if Fortress Field charges for parking?

I'm pretty sure they don't. They haven't the last two years we've been going there for games.
Thanks — wasn’t quite sure if the crew at Fortress Field administers the high school games or if it’s the athletic departments renting it out for the night. I plan to check out Ready vs West Jeff for a classic “War on Williams Road.”

Thanks — wasn’t quite sure if the crew at Fortress Field administers the high school games or if it’s the athletic departments renting it out for the night. I plan to check out Ready vs West Jeff for a classic “War on Williams Road.”

Did not see that coming, lol. Great stuff.

The respective "home team" for the game has been handling the ticket-taking and admission charge the last two years. Last year when we played Bexley there, their folks wouldn't honor my Mid-State League pass because it wasn't considered a league game for either school. No justice, lol. This year Groveport is charging $7 for admission since they're home. Next year, we'll charge $6 when we host them at the same venue.

The Fortress owns the concession stand, though. And I have my Golden Buckeye card this year, so look out,.

Last edited:
I think the Ready/West Jeff game is easily the big game of the week for the MSL. Both are ranked in the Yappi Top 10 for Division 5 and both will most likely be playing in Week 11 and on. Calpreps (take this with a grain of salt) has Ready 34, West Jefferson 21.

I think the Ready/West Jeff game is easily the big game of the week .... both will most likely be playing in Week 11 and on.

Brings back memories of Hamilton Township hosting a Ready playoff game a decade or so ago. Can't remember who the opponent was - Liberty Union? That was a memorably tight game. Horrible wind and sleet that night. The other team was somehow able to scoot a field goal through for a dramatic 9-6 win.

One of my classmates had a son playing on the line for Ready, and another near-classmate's son was the kicker for the other team. I didn't know who to root for.

Last edited:
Brings back memories of Hamilton Township hosting a Ready playoff game a decade or so ago. Can't remember who the opponent was - Liberty Union? That was a memorably tight game. Horrible wind and sleet that night. The other team was somehow able to scoot a field goal through for a dramatic 9-6 win.

One of my classmates had a son playing on the line for Ready, and another near-classmate's son was the kicker for the other team. I didn't know who to root for.

Still to this day the coldest game I have ever attended with that wind making it damn near unbearable.

Welp, very glad Week 2 is done for Hamilton Twp already. A 56-0 pasting by Groveport last night. Whatever folks may think about the running clock, it did save us from being drubbed 77-0.

Score was 14-0 after Groveport had run just one offensive play - they ran the opening kick off, then tore off a 70-yard run from scrimmage. Running game definitely their forte. They threw just one pass in the first half. As for their defense? Our only offensive threat was to get within 10 yards of the red zone just before halftime.

Groveport is vastly improved since our first meeting two years ago. Will be an interesting team to watch this year. And they've got a really, really good PA announcer. I asked him how long he's been working the mic, and he swore up and down this was only his second game. Guy's got talent.

The Fan-O-Meter says: "We stayed for the entire game, and it's only 9 PM? Still time to catch the rest of Perry Mason on FETV!"

Unfortunately, HT’s 56-0 loss may not be the only sacrificial lambs in the MSL between weeks 2 and 3.

Is that only the second meeting ever between HT and GM? There’s no way! Really? G-M “back in the day” was just a rural, small farm school.

Is that only the second meeting ever between HT and GM? There’s no way! Really? G-M “back in the day” was just a rural, small farm school.
No, both teams used to play each other in the 1960's and earlier. But you're absolutely right, both were mostly rural districts back then, with a few more cosmopolitan-type students from Lockbourne Air Force Base feeding into both schools. The military brats always were a bit more sophisticated than the rest of us. :)

It's the third consecutive meeting between GP and HT since the "Obetz Bowl" was instituted in 2017. A small part of Obetz - 3 or 4 streets - is in the Groveport school district. I believe Obetz officials conceived of the idea as a way to promote both schools as village partners, and also to promote the then-new Fortress at the same time. They have some sort of trophy which goes back and forth depending on who wins (like the Illibuck), and a post-game ceremony where the mayor and council present it to the winning school that year.

I talked to one of the local farmers here who played football for HT in the early 1960's, he said they played Groveport frequently until 1964 or so. Very surprising that stopped, considering the two schools are only ten minutes apart. Same thing for HT and Marion-Franklin. We did play Wehrle quite a bit back in the day, though.

Last edited:
All good reading and to know about the then-GM/HT rivalry... thanks, Z!
They have some sort of trophy which goes back and forth depending on who wins (like the Illibuck), and a post-game ceremony where the mayor and council present it to the winning school that year.
Is the traveling trophy the shiniest zucchini from the eponymous festival held the weekend before? green__n_gold76’s keyboard?

I talked to one of the local farmers here who played football for HT in the early 1960's, he said they played Groveport frequently until 1964 or so. Very surprising that stopped, considering the two schools are only ten minutes apart. Same thing for HT and Marion-Franklin. We did play Wehrle quite a bit back in the day, though.
A four team Marion-Franklin, HT, G-M and Bishop Hartley (to carry the tradition of the since-past Wehrle) non-league confederation for scheduling purposes would be neat.

Ready might have something to say about the battle for Fortress now that its our adopted home field
ReadyKnightsFan, have you already attended a game at the Fortress? If not, be sure to bring binoculars. You'll need them to see the scoreboard. If you've already been there, you know what I mean. :cool:

They have two huge video screen boards on the other side of the field. Problem is, the game data is in a tiny strip at the bottom. It's hard to make out even with 20-20 vision. Plus, the scoreboards are like 50 yards away from the field. I was up in the pressbox last night for a while, and the spotter kept asking me for the time remaining and timeouts left.

Is the traveling trophy the shiniest zucchini from the eponymous festival held the weekend before? green__n_gold76’s keyboard? ......A four team Marion-Franklin, HT, G-M and Bishop Hartley (to carry the tradition of the since-past Wehrle) non-league confederation for scheduling purposes would be neat.
Lol - yes, but the zucchini has been bronzed, so it looks almost traditional. AndI did see a few rides and concession trailers still in the parking lot last night!

Funny you mentioned green_n_gold76 and a keyboard. I did run into LickingCountyFan at this game last year. I'd just told my wife, "hey, let me know if you see a guy carrying a laptop and a camera, he tole me he was coming" - and two seconds later there he was.

Mrs. Zunardo and I sat with green_n_gold last night, but he was just using his phone keeping Facebook updated on the game. He keeps saying he needs to get back on here, so I'll keep prodding him.

GnG was tracking HT's starters and rotating subs. Apparently in the first quarter we had 3 freshmen, 7 sophomores, and 4 juniors on the field at some point, not counting special teams.

The 4-team proposal sounds interesting. My wife is a Hartley grad, she wouldn't mind that at all.

Last edited:
ReadyKnightsFan, have you already attended a game at the Fortress? If not, be sure to bring binoculars. You'll need them to see the scoreboard. If you've already been there, you know what I mean. :cool:

They have two huge video screen boards on the other side of the field. Problem is, the game data is in a tiny strip at the bottom. It's hard to make out even with 20-20 vision. Plus, the scoreboards are like 50 yards away from the field. I was up in the pressbox last night for a while, and the spotter kept asking me for the time remaining and timeouts left.

I have not. I will keep that in mind. I will say that even though I have not attended a game at Fortress until tonight, its nice to finally have a home. I have attended home games for Ready at Dublin Scioto, Dublin Coffman, Dublin Jerome, Hilliard Bradley, Westland, Central Crossing, Bishop Hartley, DeSales, Grandview Heights, and Upper Arlington and thats just off the top of my head!

I have attended home games for Ready at Dublin Scioto, Dublin Coffman, Dublin Jerome, Hilliard Bradley, Westland, Central Crossing, Bishop Hartley, DeSales, Grandview Heights, and Upper Arlington and thats just off the top of my head!

I was telling my dad about Ready using the Fortress this year. He said, "Oh, yes, and they used Cooper Stadium for a while." That made sense, it was kinda close geographically. I watched HT play a non-conference game at the Coop in the late 1970's. Kind of an awkward setup, but it was interesting at the time. I know our players didn't like that carpet-on-concrete turf, though.

I was telling my dad about Ready using the Fortress this year. He said, "Oh, yes, and they used Cooper Stadium for a while." That made sense, it was kinda close geographically. I watched HT play a non-conference game at the Coop in the late 1970's. Kind of an awkward setup, but it was interesting at the time. I know our players didn't like that carpet-on-concrete turf, though.

That would make sense. Back in the hay day I imagine that would be a pretty good experience playing in a stadium like that. Its sad what has happened to Cooper Stadium.

This week and next week are two of the biggest games Ready has on their schedule. I remember back when Ready and West Jeff renewed the rivalry about a decade ago driving through West Jeff with a Silver Knights flag on the car and getting flicked off by people walking down 40 to the game. Theres a lot of fire in this rivalry between the two communities. I'm really hoping we don't come out in the home jerseys we've used the last few years. Blue pants, Black jerseys, and Silver helmets doesn't make for a very sharp look aesthetically.

ReadyKnightsFan - Great story about about driving through WJ, that is the passion/curse of a intense fan base and it's been like that for 60+ years in WJ. Thing about it, Ready and WJ are very similar which is extremely unusual when talking about a private & public school. A lot of people from both fan bases know someone from the other school, there is similar passion, toughness & pride for one's community on each side. And, lets face it each has a bit of a chip on their shoulder for various reasons - maybe it's just a westside/far westside thing. After watching the interview of Coach Cutler you posted, I love the passion and respect he has for the game. Both teams will be relevant as long as their head coaches remain in place. Good luck to all tonight.

ReadyKnightsFan - Great story about about driving through WJ, that is the passion/curse of a intense fan base and it's been like that for 60+ years in WJ. Thing about it, Ready and WJ are very similar which is extremely unusual when talking about a private & public school. A lot of people from both fan bases know someone from the other school, there is similar passion, toughness & pride for one's community on each side. And, lets face it each has a bit of a chip on their shoulder for various reasons - maybe it's just a westside/far westside thing. After watching the interview of Coach Cutler you posted, I love the passion and respect he has for the game. Both teams will be relevant as long as their head coaches remain in place. Good luck to all tonight.

I say that story having no malice at all toward West Jeff. Like you said, the communities are extremely similar and for that reason, I always pull for West Jeff when they aren't playing us and have even gone to some Rider playoff games to support them. This game is huge. Huge for the communities, huge for the gate, huge for the players in gaining experience against playoff caliber opponents. High school football is better when these types of games are played. This is the last year that the game is played for the foreseeable future but I really hope at some point our communities will come together again come Week 14. A regular season matchup a decade ago filled Hilliard Bradley. A playoff matchup between the two would see rings of people around the track. Good luck to West Jeff the rest of the season but tonight I am hoping for a Silver Knights victory!

I say that story having no malice at all toward West Jeff. Like you said, the communities are extremely similar and for that reason, I always pull for West Jeff when they aren't playing us and have even gone to some Rider playoff games to support them. This game is huge. Huge for the communities, huge for the gate, huge for the players in gaining experience against playoff caliber opponents. High school football is better when these types of games are played. This is the last year that the game is played for the foreseeable future but I really hope at some point our communities will come together again come Week 14. A regular season matchup a decade ago filled Hilliard Bradley. A playoff matchup between the two would see rings of people around the track. Good luck to West Jeff the rest of the season but tonight I am hoping for a Silver Knights victory!
When I was involved with the CYO/Diocesan rec programs 10-15 years ago, I was told that the Catholic grade school in London (St. Patrick I believe is the name) usually sent three or four eighth graders apiece to West Jeff and Ready each. Same with St. Cecilia although SC is obviously a bigger Ready school than the one in London.

There’s rivalries with acrimony, but this is one greater than an acrimonious affair. Lots of respect and recognition.

P.S. - I still giggle to myself at the irony of Ready playing a home game at Hartley. Sorry, RKF!

P
When I was involved with the CYO/Diocesan rec programs 10-15 years ago, I was told that the Catholic grade school in London (St. Patrick I believe is the name) usually sent three or four eighth graders apiece to West Jeff and Ready each. Same with St. Cecilia although SC is obviously a bigger Ready school than the one in London.

There’s rivalries with acrimony, but this is one greater than an acrimonious affair. Lots of respect and recognition.

P.S. - I still giggle to myself at the irony of Ready playing a home game at Hartley. Sorry, RKF!

It was bizarre sitting on the home side at Hartley. This was back 13 years ago or so against Sidney Lehman Catholic. Ironically enough one of my neighbors played for Sidney Lehman in that game. Small world eh?

You’re correct about everything you said. St Patrick’s does send some kids to Ready. Cecilia, Magdalene, Trinity, and OLPH (Grove City) are the big feeder schools that send their kids to Ready with Patrick’s, Brendan, and a couple public school kids rounding out the classes.

Setting the spreads for tonight as...

Buckeye Division
AC v. Unioto: AC -10
BC v. Liberty Union: BC -38
FU v. Lakewood: FU -2
Circleville v. Washington: WCH -32
Logan Elm v. Westfall: LE -7
Teays Valley v. Logan: TV -40

Cardinal Division
BU v. Alexander: BU -1
FCA v. Symmes Valley: SV -41
FC v. Crestline: FC -42
GCC v. TCC: TCC -31
WC v. Northmor: NM -20

Ohio Division
Bexley v. Campbell: CM -4
HP v. Franklin Heights: HP -17
Buckeye Valley v. Big Nut: BW -3
Academy v. NC: Academy -1
Whitehall v. Northland: NHS -3
Grandview v. Africentric: GH -30

...and, the Game of the Week: BR 27 WJ 21

Is Harvest Prep the best in the Ohio?

Can Bloom-Carroll withstand Jonathan Alder on Friday the 13th?

Can anyone stop FC and their monstrous run game? 731 yards, 10 touchdowns on the ground through seven quarters.

MLS- Ohio: Bishop Ready is favorite and I believe they will go 9-1 or 8-,. They are a very solid team that will only get better as the qb gains more experience. I think Harvest Prep and Whitehall will battle it out for the the 2nd best team. Good to see Whitehall bounce back with a w after their week 1 loss. Grandview Hts is 2-0 but their schedule thus far has been subpar. Academy always seems to pull a upset against someone but I don't know if they have enough to win the league.

MLS-Buckeye: I think it's a toss up between AC, Bloom Carol & TV. None of these 3 have had a signature w thus far, TV @ Canal Winchester will be a great challenge for them. I don't think anyone will go thru league play undefeated. What has happen to HT and Liberty Union? Both programs are on hard times right now.

MLS-Cardinal: It's Fisher Catholic by a mile. I think Worthington Christian will finish 2nd and then everyone else.

Playoff Teams: Ready, Harvest Prep, AC, BC and Fisher Catholic. TV needs to go at least 8-2, probably 9-1 to make the playoffs in Div II. Good luck to all.

Good stuff, WJ. I think Ready will need to play a lot better in the box than they did against WH when they play Prep.

AC and BC look like the two best teams in the Buckeye. I agree that between those two and Teays that no one is making it out alive and undefeated. Three-way tie for first, one loss each (eg AC beats BC, BC beats TV, TV beats AC.)

FC just needs to take it one game at a time. They know right now they’re at the top and everyone in the Cardinal is looking ahead to them. They’re going to take everyone’s best shots and BU is already prepping for them. Can’t take anything for granted, of course, but FC looks like the clear favorite if they play their A game and to their potential.

Hard times for HT? I wouldn't say that yet. See me again after Week 10.

By rights, Hamilton Township should be 1-1 right now. Groveport was going to beat us no matter what, but I think we are capable of more stout defense than we showed.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but it seemed that first game we had a Stanley Jackson-Joe Germaine thing going on with one QB running and another passing. Maybe even some Jekyll-and-Hyde, lol. Hopefully our offensive line starts to gel quickly this week, and we have a consistent game against Bexley. We'll open up that barn door and kick out the hay.

Hard times for HT? I wouldn't say that yet. See me again after Week 10.

By rights, Hamilton Township should be 1-1 right now. Groveport was going to beat us no matter what, but I think we are capable of more stout defense than we showed.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but it seemed that first game we had a Stanley Jackson-Joe Germaine thing going on with one QB running and another passing. Maybe even some Jekyll-and-Hyde, lol. Hopefully our offensive line starts to gel quickly this week, and we have a consistent game against Bexley. We'll open up that barn door and kick out the hay.
Makes sense. That loss to Franklin Heights surely was a head-scratcher.

The Dock - I think Ready just ran into a buzz saw last week. Ready beat West Jeff last year so that was definitely on the minds of the WJ players & coaches, the WJ O-line averages 260 lbs, all are Seniors and they rotate other linemen in, WJ has 15+ Seniors on the team and they dress over 70+ players (grades 9 thru 12). I can't imagine Ready running into a O-line of that size with a RB as good/fast as Gabe Jones. Big game this week for Ready vs a surprising 2-0 St. Charles.

Good to see Fisher Catholic back, they may not be challenged until week 8 vs Lucas. FC has a chance to make some noise in Region 27 where they could run into a Harvest Prep, Shadyside or perhaps Newark Catholic if they can survive their league and make the playoffs.

The Dock - I think Ready just ran into a buzz saw last week. Ready beat West Jeff last year so that was definitely on the minds of the WJ players & coaches, the WJ O-line averages 260 lbs, all are Seniors and they rotate other linemen in, WJ has 15+ Seniors on the team and they dress over 70+ players (grades 9 thru 12). I can't imagine Ready running into a O-line of that size with a RB as good/fast as Gabe Jones. Big game this week for Ready vs a surprising 2-0 St. Charles.

Good to see Fisher Catholic back, they may not be challenged until week 8 vs Lucas. FC has a chance to make some noise in Region 27 where they could run into a Harvest Prep, Shadyside or perhaps Newark Catholic if they can survive their league and make the playoffs.
I trust you on Ready.

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll face a team that can match up with our size, strength, and speed until Lucas. And that may be the only team all regular season that can.