2019 Mid-State League

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
Any thoughts?

Thinking that Ready, Harvest or Whitehall will take the Ohio. FC gets the Cardinal, and probably another logjam at the top in the Buckeye.

The MSL Cardinal schools need to figure their **** out big time. This league has gone from eight football playing schools to five in the matter of two years. FCA will be the next to go in a year or sooner. For as serious as the remaining schools have gotten about their football, they owe it to themselves and the future of their programs to get Grandview Heights and Newark Catholic worked in to the mix. Reaping what they sow!

I expect the MSL-Cardinal to stop sponsoring 11-man football as a league sport in three-to-five years. I agree about FCA, as I expect them to drop football and instead create a soccer program. Bad times for FCA, saw their best player transferred to BC. No way that Newark Catholic ditches the LCL, and Grandview although making sense supposedly is looking to phase out 11-man football themselves?

What I think is going to happen is the Cardinal just becomes a soccer conference, as six of the eight schools have the sport with there being an expectation that FCA eschews 11-man football in favor of 8-man along with adding soccer. The only school without soccer would ironically be the largest, BU. As for the remaining football programs in the Cardinal, BU and FC are committed to 11-man for the long term and I would expect GCC to stay committed with football as well. Not entirely sure where WC would fit in this down the road?

...and, it sounds like a long road to hoe for Rosecrans and getting back to 11-man football per the Zanesville Times-Recorder article. Sad!

I expect the MSL-Cardinal to stop sponsoring 11-man football as a league sport in three-to-five years. I agree about FCA, as I expect them to drop football and instead create a soccer program. Bad times for FCA, saw their best player transferred to BC. No way that Newark Catholic ditches the LCL, and Grandview although making sense supposedly is looking to phase out 11-man football themselves?

What I think is going to happen is the Cardinal just becomes a soccer conference, as six of the eight schools have the sport with there being an expectation that FCA eschews 11-man football in favor of 8-man along with adding soccer. The only school without soccer would ironically be the largest, BU. As for the remaining football programs in the Cardinal, BU and FC are committed to 11-man for the long term and I would expect GCC to stay committed with football as well. Not entirely sure where WC would fit in this down the road?

I think it would be great to see the Mid State step up and sponsor an 8 man division. It would certainly help the Mid State in the Cardinal Division and help Grandview Hts (Grandview Hts is playing 8 man in middle school).
I think it will take a league to make this move and I think you would find struggling schools with football numbers will be look at switching to 8 man.
High School Football being as popular as it is in Ohio it would take a league to take the lead and it would grow in popularity in Ohio.
Schools that drop football not only effect the players but effect the cheerleaders, band members, homecoming festivities and parent nights. A lot of schools sponsor events at football games- such as Alumni Night, Middle School Night, Hall of Fame Night and Military Night just to name a few. Schools switching to 8 man would allow for this to continue and allow for gate and concessions income to keep coming in on Friday Nights.

Last edited:
I expect Ready to make a bounce back this year after the struggles of the past 4 years. They have some huge games on their schedule this year including Genoa Area, West Jeff, and St. Charles in non league games. I like the move of the Grandview/Ready game to Week 10 as this is a solid rivalry. Last year was a nailbiting loss to Grandview 17-16, the year prior it was a squeaker of a win for Ready by a score of 24-22.

I expect Ready to make a bounce back this year after the struggles of the past 4 years. They have some huge games on their schedule this year including Genoa Area, West Jeff, and St. Charles in non league games. I like the move of the Grandview/Ready game to Week 10 as this is a solid rivalry. Last year was a nailbiting loss to Grandview 17-16, the year prior it was a squeaker of a win for Ready by a score of 24-22.
Ready/Grandview Hts has built into quit a Rivalry with 2 really tight games the last 2 years. Mid State rotates the league schedule every 2 years with the 1st league game goes to the last.

I think it would be great to see the Mid State step up and sponsor an 8 man division. It would certainly help the Mid State in the Cardinal Division and help Grandview Hts (Grandview Hts is playing 8 man in middle school).
I think it will take a league to make this move and I think you would find struggling schools with football numbers will be look at switching to 8 man.
High School Football being as popular as it is in Ohio it would take a league to take the lead and it would grow in popularity in Ohio.
Schools that drop football not only effect the players but effect the cheerleaders, band members, homecoming festivities and parent nights. A lot of schools sponsor events at football games- such as Alumni Night, Middle School Night, Hall of Fame Night and Military Night just to name a few. Schools switching to 8 man would allow for this to continue and allow for gate and concessions income to keep coming in on Friday Nights.
I’m not saying you’re wrong: I just don’t personally agree. The whole point of the MSL’s restructuring in 2013 was so 11-man football could stay viable for all the programs in it. BU and FC have taken tremendous effort, energy and pride into ensuring their 11-man programs not only stay alive but resurge. I think the rest of the MSL-C owes it to them to keep making a strong, concerted effort to keeping 11-man alive.

Any thoughts?

Thinking that Ready, Harvest or Whitehall will take the Ohio. FC gets the Cardinal, and probably another logjam at the top in the Buckeye.

Probably a 3 team race for Buckeye between TV, BC and Amanda. Hard to bet against TV though since they are the biggest program by far in Buckeye and i believe they have good numbers coming back. The biggest issue for BC will be the lack of size up front on both sides, but they didn't have much last year either and did pretty well - very athletic and fast team overall. Amanda will play good D as they always do - i just don't know if they have the O to score enough points to beat better teams. You never know what Hamilton will bring to the table each year. I think the TV-BC winner will win the Buckeye.

Amanda will have another good year. Agreed that it will be between Teays and BC — Kuhns is poised to make a run for 1st team all Ohio. Question remains if FU can break a good year. The senior and junior classes are their best bet to get the Falcons above .500. FU is hungry but no telling if they have the horses to get Amanda or BC.

In the Cardinal it’s going to be BU and FC. Year 2 of Hurps at BU will be a good season. FC is loaded, they have a nice receiving corps to help Starcher out. They’ll get a lot of yards out of Krooner, Smith and Swartz. Lots of tools and weapons in that offense, I expect FC to have no problem moving the ball.

Agreed completely. Lots of horses in the stable for the green and white. Swartz is a strong player and an even better kid. I’m excited for him in his senior season as he leads the Irish toward what will be a memorable season. We all know what Krooner is capable of, and I’m expecting a yuge year out of Alex Smith as well.

Expect GCC to give Berne and FC some fits offensively. Can’t speak much to Berne either given the horses they lost (Chaz ‘the “Big Cheese’” Dickerson is hard to replace at tailback, and no school in the Cardinal can easily replace what Zane Mirgon brought to the entire Rockets athletic department for his four great years), but my one concern for GCC is how they’ll be able to defend both the power run and pass.

Football is near!

P.S. - Heard that the Irish are rocking matte black helmets and will be doing a couple “Blackout” nights with all black everything. Should look nifty, and great for the school!

Amanda will have another good year. Agreed that it will be between Teays and BC — Kuhns is poised to make a run for 1st team all Ohio. Question remains if FU can break a good year. The senior and junior classes are their best bet to get the Falcons above .500. FU is hungry but no telling if they have the horses to get Amanda or BC.

In the Cardinal it’s going to be BU and FC. Year 2 of Hurps at BU will be a good season. FC is loaded, they have a nice receiving corps to help Starcher out. They’ll get a lot of yards out of Krooner, Smith and Swartz. Lots of tools and weapons in that offense, I expect FC to have no problem moving the ball.

Yeah, Kuhns getting 1st Team All Ohio for two consecutive years would be a huge accomplishment for sure. BC is loaded with athletes but it'll be interesting to see if they can finally get past the size difference that TV presents each year. I really hope FU turns the corner with a winning season - it's been a while for that proud program. A little disappointed they don't play LU this year since that's normally a good rivalry game.

Good to hear Starcher will have some targets - he's come a long way over the last couple years.

Yeah, Kuhns getting 1st Team All Ohio for two consecutive years would be a huge accomplishment for sure. BC is loaded with athletes but it'll be interesting to see if they can finally get past the size difference that TV presents each year. I really hope FU turns the corner with a winning season - it's been a while for that proud program. A little disappointed they don't play LU this year since that's normally a good rivalry game.

Good to hear Starcher will have some targets - he's come a long way over the last couple years.
The difference between now and seven years ago for FU is the coaching. The current staff has the boys a lot more prepared and ready to play, but the talent is really lacking. Not a whole lot of skilled athletes to hold the ball on FU’s team the last couple years except for Wolfe and LaRock. Will note that Colin Woodside has been named backup center at UC. Logan Elm and Circleville will both struggle again.

100% agree hawkeyepsu. Starcher has evolved from being a raw talent into a multi-dimensional field general before our eyes. He ran insanely well last year. Kid has put in the work this offseason, and like I said earlier FC has a truckload of dawgs in the backfield and receiver corps to get him set for a memorable senior season. Best QB in the Cardinal to come through in a long time.

Great to hear about Colin...great kid. Love seeing MSL kids excel at the next level. Heard Kuhns has 4-5 D1 offers already and should get more with a good year. Hope to see another good year for Starcher and FC. Man, they even get to play on that NEW turf @ LHS.

The MSL needs to start making some noise in the playoffs though. This year might be a good start.

Great to hear about Colin...great kid. Love seeing MSL kids excel at the next level. Heard Kuhns has 4-5 D1 offers already and should get more with a good year. Hope to see another good year for Starcher and FC. Man, they even get to play on that NEW turf @ LHS.

The MSL needs to start making some noise in the playoffs though. This year might be a good start.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ready returned to dominance in the next year or two. Harvest Prep could make a run as well.

I believe Harvest Prep has had some players transfer in. I expect them to be very good. Ready will be better with Coach Cutler back in action. I think Whitehall takes a step back... they lost a lot of really good players. Bexley has to be better right??? They have been really, really bad.

Buckeye Division
1. Teays - An OCC size school playing in a Division4 league... not sure how they don't win the league. But I wouldn't be shocked if they don't. They seem to always find a way to lose a game they shouldn't.
2. Bloom - QB will win them games... don't think they have the talent to beat Teays. But you never know.
3. Amanda - Solid team. Have a really good LB returning... the best defensive player in the league.
4. HT - Before their coach left for Picktown a few years ago they were the favorite to win the league every year. They just don't seem to be the same. But they still have talent. They could finish anywhere from 1st-8th... who knows.
5. FU - Not sure they can beat anyone good. Would like to see them win. I could really see these last 3 teams in any order.
6. LE - Not sure what is going on in this area but LE & Circleville are at an all time low with talent. I am not sure either place have recovered from Downing & Bartholemew leaving too. Those were great coaches.
7. Circleville - I do think they could upset someone with the new coach and new offense... just don't think they have the talent to compete

We have seven home games this year, also. Went 3-0 on the turf last year - looks great!! Us/LHS and BC have the nicest stadiums in the MSL... HP and GCC have nice playing surfaces but meager seating/atmosphere.

Saw this as another thread topic and figured “why not?”

Best fanbases in the MSL?

Buckeye
1) Amanda
2) BC
3) HT

Cardinal
t1) BU - incredible broad community support across Berne Twp
t1) FC - hands down best student, alumni support and following
3) GCC

Ohio
1) Bishop Ready
2) Grandview Hts
3) Harvest Prep

Across the whole MSL...

1) Amanda
2) BC
3) Ready
4) FC
5) BU
6) Teays
7) HP
8) GCC

Is GCC still open week 8? Tell them to get Tiffin Calvert on the horn. They need a game due to a team canceling their season. They may need Berne Union in week 7 too. Things are getting dicey out there with small schools.

Is GCC still open week 8? Tell them to get Tiffin Calvert on the horn. They need a game due to a team canceling their season. They may need Berne Union in week 7 too. Things are getting dicey out there with small schools.
We want as many L2 points as possible. Them two playing Calvert doesn’t help the cause!

Buckeye
1) Amanda
2) BC
3) HT

Cardinal
3) GCC

Ohio
1) Bishop Ready
2) Grandview Hts
3) Harvest Prep

Across the whole MSL...

1) Amanda
2) BC
3) Ready
4) FC
5) BU
6) Teays
7) HP
8) GCC

I might be biased to move Ready above BC and Amanda but I would say you hit the nail on the head. Ready, Amanda, BC, and FC are the 4 most dedicated fan bases in the league.

Buckeye
1) Amanda
2) BC
3) HT

Cardinal
3) GCC

Ohio
1) Bishop Ready
2) Grandview Hts
3) Harvest Prep

Across the whole MSL...

1) Amanda
2) BC
3) Ready
4) FC
5) BU
6) Teays
7) HP
8) GCC

Dock, just curious - how come you rank HT third in the Buckeye fan bases, but then you skip us for Teays in the overall MSL ranking?

I think "The Film" needs to launch an investigation into this discrepancy. I'm so miffed I just might skip the french fries on the visitors side when we travel to Amanda on Oct 18. Well, maybe not THAT miffed, lol.

Last edited:
Dock, just curious - how come you rank HT third in the Buckeye fan bases, but then you skip us for Teays in the overall MSL ranking?

I think "The Film" needs to launch an investigation into this discrepancy. I'm so miffed I just might skip the french fries on the visitors side when we travel to Amanda on Oct 18. Well, maybe not THAT miffed, lol.
I knew you were lurking in the rafters of the transition to the new software, Zunardo — had to get you to come out and take the bait, somehow! Hope all is well, Z. We, the MSL posting contingency across the JJHuddle/Yappi eras, miss the clichés and banter-acts... from Obetz to Rushville, and everywhere in between.

Surely you jest on the french fries missing. I predict the ACES will cut down the Rangers in the township! (Gotta keep the posting memory of huddle legend “creeksider” alive!)

I might be biased to move Ready above BC and Amanda but I would say you hit the nail on the head. Ready, Amanda, BC, and FC are the 4 most dedicated fan bases in the league.
Ready has by far the better alumni support between them, AC and BC. In my opinion, though, on a community level AC and BC are by far the best in the MSL - and that may be the product of them being larger, village/township based schools.

I will say, Ready’s fanbase at the 2013 Hartley game @ Bradley and Amanda’s support in Stark County were both equally impressive and bar-none the greatest fan supports I’ve seen in person of the MSL contingency.

I knew you were lurking in the rafters of the transition to the new software, Zunardo — had to get you to come out and take the bait, somehow! Hope all is well, Z. We, the MSL posting contingency across the JJHuddle/Yappi eras, miss the clichés and banter-acts... from Obetz to Rushville, and everywhere in between.

Surely you jest on the french fries missing. I predict the ACES will cut down the Rangers in the township! (Gotta keep the posting memory of huddle legend “creeksider” alive!)

Oh wow, I totally forgot about creeksider. Still really miss the Huddle. Central Ohio really had a lot of activity on there back in the day.

Ready has by far the better alumni support between them, AC and BC. In my opinion, though, on a community level AC and BC are by far the best in the MSL - and that may be the product of them being larger, village/township based schools.

I will say, Ready’s fanbase at the 2013 Hartley game @ Bradley and Amanda’s support in Stark County were both equally impressive and bar-none the greatest fan supports I’ve seen in person of the MSL contingency.

That is one of the best high school games I have even been to, incredibly electric crowd. If Cutler has the same success that he did during his first tenure at Ready, I would mark the calendar in 2 years when we rotate St Charles off the schedule and replace them with DeSales or Watterson.

Oh wow, I totally forgot about creeksider. Still really miss the Huddle. Central Ohio really had a lot of activity on there back in the day.
The MSL-Cardinal, yes, the small school portion, would consistently have 15-20 pages of content each for football and basketball even toward its end. Handful of GCC, HP posters, a few Berne posters and even the (somewhat still extant) Fairview Inn / Amanda gas station crew of FC posters. And that’s the current MSL, not even counting the previous Cardinal iteration which had WJ’s awesome fan following, the LU posting contingency (“Midline Crisis” is still one of the best names I’ve ever seen”) and the sprinkles of posting between ripmeister and whatamunce (Grandview and L Heights.)