Southwestern Buckeye League 2019 season thread

On to week 2....

I feel much better about VV than I did a week before, their offensive/defensive lines abused Wilmington all night.
Haven’t heard much about Ft. Recovery other than they were victorious as well. Going to be a good one this week
Fort Recovery is fast. Very fast.

What's Valley View got?

Haven’t seen Valley View but they typically are very athletic and tons of speed. Physical football team. FR is my buddies school. He’s the principal there. Knowing him, he’s a relative of a former VV star QB, he’s got the Indians pumped.
should be a good game.

WEEK 1 COVERAGE

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for story and photo coverage of the Madison-Franklin, Monroe-Edgewood, Carlisle-CHCA, Preble Shawnee-Talawanda and Waynesville-Columbus Bexley games

Last edited:
Haven’t seen Valley View but they typically are very athletic and tons of speed. Physical football team. FR is my buddies school. He’s the principal there. Knowing him, he’s a relative of a former VV star QB, he’s got the Indians pumped.
should be a good game.
Fort Recovery graduated a lot of size off their lines last season. Lehman Catholic had us outsized at several positions but it seemed to be quickness and blitz packages that gave us issues.
Things that can be corrected in practice hopefully.

I see Madison being 6-4 at best. They don’t have the size or speed on the lines they have had the last few years. Losses will be to VV, MU and Waynesville.

Madison will lose to Waynesville, MU, VV, and maybe Northridge this year. The Bears dismantled Bethel.
Could this be the year of the Bear?

Madison will lose to Waynesville, MU, VV, and maybe Northridge this year. The Bears dismantled Bethel.
Not to discredit Northridge, but I believe Bethel is very down this year. I saw Madison at a scrimmage this year and they were better than I expected, considering I knew that they lost a lot. I wouldn't make too much out of the Franklin loss right now, because Franklin is a very good team. I am not saying that Madison will win the league, but I definitely would not write them off.

Should be another big week filled with OOC games for the SWBL:

(1-0) Milton-Union @ (0-1) Oakwood
(1-0) Anna @ (1-0) Brookville
(1-0) Tri Village @ (1-0) Dixie
(0-1) Carlisle @ (0-1) Kenton Ridge
(0-1) West Carrollton @ (1-0) Northridge
(0-1) Madison @ (0-1) Reading
(0-1) Monroe @ (1-0) Ross
(1-0) Fairborn @ (1-0) Bellbrook
(0-1) Twin Valley @ (0-1) Preble Shawnee
(0-1) Greeneview @ (1-0) Waynesville
(1-0) Edgewood @ (1-0) Franklin
(0-1) Xenia @ (0-1) Eaton
(1-0) Fort Recovery @ (1-0) Valley View

Don't count the Mohawks out yet Bless, they still have won the league 4 out of the last 5 years and they still have to be dethroned. The Mohawks rushed for 200 yards in the first half against Franklin, which has a very good defense. Time will tell...

I believe it will come down to MU and Waynesville this year. Waynesville is much improved. Very fast and disciplined. MU has a lot of talent coming back look to that game towards the end of the season being a big battle.

I wouldn't judge Madison's season on the Franklin game. Buckeye division teams usually do not fare well in crossover games against the southwest division. I don't think anybody from the buckeye division would do well against Franklin, VV, or Bellbrook this year.

I wouldn't judge Madison's season on the Franklin game. Buckeye division teams usually do not fare well in crossover games against the southwest division. I don't think anybody from the buckeye division would do well against Franklin, VV, or Bellbrook this year.
Waynesville plays Bellbrook Week 4 at home time will tell! I am excited for the SWBL this year

Don't count the Mohawks out yet Bless, they still have won the league 4 out of the last 5 years and they still have to be dethroned. The Mohawks rushed for 200 yards in the first half against Franklin, which has a very good defense. Time will tell...
Hopeful thinking Oz. ?

Milton beat Bellbrook the last time we played. MU plays Valley View this year again. Will continue to play them after the conference change. Franklin is the biggest school in the league. They should dominate. We play and beat Oakwood annually.

Milton beat Bellbrook the last time we played. MU plays Valley View this year again. Will continue to play them after the conference change. Franklin is the biggest school in the league. They should dominate. We play and beat Oakwood annually.

As a whole the buckeye division has never done well against the southwest side of the league. The best team on the buckeye side might win a crossover game or two, but historically the southwest side has dominated the crossover games. Two years ago Madison went 8-2 in the regular season and made it to the state semi finals. Their two losses were to a bad monroe team and a good valley view team. I believe Franklin would beat every team on the buckeye side handily. I'm not sure about Madison this year either, I just don't think a big loss to Franklin in the opener is an indicator that they are out of the race for the buckeye title.

Just a reminder, Milton used to be a SW member, and did quite well.
The league is designed to separate larger schools from smaller schools. So typically you are correct. MU was asked to move to the Buckeye because of Monroe being larger.
Since then we’ve done well vs SW opponents.

Since 2012 the Buckeye Division is 23-60 against the Southwest Division for a .277 win percentage. 14 of the 23 wins have come against Oakwood. Carlisle has the best record at 9-11 and Milton is second at 5-9. Crossover games have and always will be bad for the Buckeye division teams. On the other side though, Brookville continues to have quite a bit of success as a DV school on the Soutwest side. Seems odd since Brookville is a very similar to Madison, Carlisle, Shawnee.

Oakwood is the outlier in football on the SW side. Here is our record since 2012. Our current coach has a coach record is 14-26. There hasn't been a bit of rumbling about replacing him here. It is what it is. I think Eaton may be in the same boat but I really can't speak what is going on there. Winning is not a top priority here, and that is from the very top down. IMO.
2012 : 2-8
2013: 5-5
2014: 5-5
2015: 5-5 ( current coach first year)
2016: 2-8
2017: 5-5
2018: 2-8

Why only 2012? Let’s go back to 2001 when the league split into 2 divisions.
oh, and your all-time league champion leader is Milton with 19 titles either shared or not.
The SW should be better with larger schools.

As a whole the buckeye division has never done well against the southwest side of the league. The best team on the buckeye side might win a crossover game or two, but historically the southwest side has dominated the crossover games. Two years ago Madison went 8-2 in the regular season and made it to the state semi finals. Their two losses were to a bad monroe team and a good valley view team. I believe Franklin would beat every team on the buckeye side handily. I'm not sure about Madison this year either, I just don't think a big loss to Franklin in the opener is an indicator that they are out of the race for the buckeye title.

Even when Monroe was on there run 2006-2009 (not counting 2005 because they were in the MML), they were 4-4. They played Valley View and Bellbrook in those years. This also included a thrashing that VV put on Monroe at Barker in 2006.