2019 MVL Projections

They are low because those are the kids that were freshmen and sophomores under Hyatt. He killed those two classes. They werent good to start and then he drove them off. If you are trying to get numbers up having lifting and practice at 6am cant help.

You really think with just 15 juniors seniors we will make the playoffs?

Playoffs will be tough this year for a lot of reasons. Schedule, numbers and youth. Troy, Xenia and Piqua will be the cream of the crop in the MVL this year and Butler will be a middle of the pack team. Next year I expect Butler to be back in the chase this will be a good experience year for the young guys. I'm not counting them out this year though. The kids play hard for Puckett and have nothing to lose this year. These guys will struggle in week one against Harrison but they should compete with everyone else on the schedule.

If Butlers numbers are down thy much that’s really unfortunate. Tipp’s numbers are up from years in the past, they have a little over 60 kids in 10-12th grade. Tipp does scrimmage Tecumseh, but they also just scrimmaged Northwestern this past week. Right now it seems to that Xenia and Troy will be at the top, with Piqua and Tipp fighting for third with Butler in 5th place. Tipp’s got a tough schedule this year playing at Mt. Healthy and at Shawnee in ooc and only playing 4 home games total.

If Butlers numbers are down thy much that’s really unfortunate. Tipp’s numbers are up from years in the past, they have a little over 60 kids in 10-12th grade. Tipp does scrimmage Tecumseh, but they also just scrimmaged Northwestern this past week. Right now it seems to that Xenia and Troy will be at the top, with Piqua and Tipp fighting for third with Butler in 5th place. Tipp’s got a tough schedule this year playing at Mt. Healthy and at Shawnee in ooc and only playing 4 home games total.

I get that playing @ Mt. Healthy is a quality non-conference game, but isn't @ Shawnee an easy win? Tipp has won by a combined score of 111-14 the last 3 times they've played.

However, the combination of Mt. Healthy/Troy/Xenia/Piqua/Butler and maybe Sidney make it definitely a challenging slate overall.

Playoffs will be tough this year for a lot of reasons. Schedule, numbers and youth. Troy, Xenia and Piqua will be the cream of the crop in the MVL this year and Butler will be a middle of the pack team. Next year I expect Butler to be back in the chase this will be a good experience year for the young guys. I'm not counting them out this year though. The kids play hard for Puckett and have nothing to lose this year. These guys will struggle in week one against Harrison but they should compete with everyone else on the schedule.
The schedules not tough. We lost Tecumseh and Northmont and picked up West Carrolton and Stebbins. Harrison is at home. Schedule is easier than last year. Youth an issue because of the numbers. I said 15 juniors and seniors.

I get that playing @ Mt. Healthy is a quality non-conference game, but isn't @ Shawnee an easy win? Tipp has won by a combined score of 111-14 the last 3 times they've played.

However, the combination of Mt. Healthy/Troy/Xenia/Piqua/Butler and maybe Sidney make it definitely a challenging slate overall.

Butler doesn't play Sidney this year.

Talked to many of my contacts this summer and based on what I have heard this is my prediction for the MVL after Week 10

Troy
Piqua
Tipp
Vandalia
Greenville

Xenia
Sidney
Fairborn
West Carrolton
Stebbins

Troy and Piqua will be playoff teams.

After watching Northwestern tear up Tipp’s defense and CJ and Western Brown do the same, I think Tipp is going to have a rough year. There offense is interesting and will be pretty good, but if there defense is anybting like it’s been in these scrimmages, it’s going to be a long season. Fortunately, Tipp has talented classes coming up, but Matt’s first year at Tipp may be a lot like his first at Troy.

Anyone know how Sidney is looking? Defense improved?

I have no firsthand knowledge of Sidney this year, but here's a good recap of their most recent scrimmage with Edgewood/Milford/Clinton-Massie: https://www.sidneydailynews.com/spo...for-sidney-at-quad-scrimmage-but-work-remains

Here's some specific parts of the article referencing how their defense did:

Edgewood’s starters struggled to move the ball for much of the squad’s first series and lost a fumble. The squad took nearly all of the possession to drive down but scored on the ninth play on a 5-yard run in which a player recovered a fumble in the end zone.

Clinton-Massie’s run-oriented attack caused problems for Sidney. The Falcons’ starters had several big runs and scored three touchdowns.

Sidney is not very good and will continue to waste talent as long as they keep this coaching staff..... look terrible this is gonna be another long season for the Sidney faithful

Anyone get ? on Vandalia yet? Hows it look? I have seen Troy, and I have no clue. There are pockets of their defense that look amazing, but then huge gaps. Kind of same thing on the Offensive side I briefly saw Piqua and was expecting a bit more. Xenia might actually walk away with this thing. Tipps might be horrendous from what I am hearing. I recommend just Try to kick field goals every time once they cross the 50. Might be their best shot. Anyone confirm or deny Tipp might struggle to get .500?

Anyone get ? on Vandalia yet? Hows it look? I have seen Troy, and I have no clue. There are pockets of their defense that look amazing, but then huge gaps. Kind of same thing on the Offensive side I briefly saw Piqua and was expecting a bit more. Xenia might actually walk away with this thing. Tipps might be horrendous from what I am hearing. I recommend just Try to kick field goals every time once they cross the 50. Might be their best shot. Anyone confirm or deny Tipp might struggle to get .500?
Depending on how every other team is, Tipp could easily be looking at 5-5, 4-6

Depending on how every other team is, Tipp could easily be looking at 5-5, 4-6

I am seeing at least these teams that could break just above or at .500. Vandalia, Tipp, Piqua. Sidney bad. I could see Troy with 3 loses.

Could be Xenia wining the league easily, and a huge scrum for the middle? While no great teams, might make for some great games.

Why are am I hearing from my little birds that Greenville might be in that .500 mix? Is that gibberish?

With this many teams basically the same, someone might get breaks and get to 7-3. Or a team have a few bad beats and go 3-7. But there still all basically average teams that will have no hope in any playoff matchups.

I am seeing at least these teams that could break just above or at .500. Vandalia, Tipp, Piqua. Sidney bad. I could see Troy with 3 loses.

Could be Xenia wining the league easily, and a huge scrum for the middle? While no great teams, might make for some great games.

Why are am I hearing from my little birds that Greenville might be in that .500 mix? Is that gibberish?

With this many teams basically the same, someone might get breaks and get to 7-3. Or a team have a few bad beats and go 3-7. But there still all basically average teams that will have no hope in any playoff matchups.
Greenville *should* win their first two games. After the Week 3 probable loss to CJ, I'll start putting more stock in that .500 statement if they knock off Fairborn. But lose either one or both of the first two and no, I'm afraid we'll be suffering through another stinker. I have faith Schmitz will get them on a consistent competitive roll in a few years. We will see.

Heard Butler got beat 46-0 in the 3 quarters against Springboro and didn't even get a first down. Last time I checked Springboro was straight booty. Butler might be 1-9 - 2-8 this year.

Heard Butler got beat 46-0 in the 3 quarters against Springboro and didn't even get a first down. Last time I checked Springboro was straight booty. Butler might be 1-9 - 2-8 this year.
Reflection of the coach or the school? Seemed like everyone was excited about his hire after the clown Hyatt.

Reflection of the coach or the school? Seemed like everyone was excited about his hire after the clown Hyatt.
Not the coach I'm guessing it's a mix of injuries, lack of numbers and youth. Puckett would have done a lot with the talent that Hyatt squandered. Give him a few years and Butler will be respectable again.

Not the coach I'm guessing it's a mix of injuries, lack of numbers and youth. Puckett would have done a lot with the talent that Hyatt squandered. Give him a few years and Butler will be respectable again.
Good, I root for them and Tipp to be good so the last game of the year actually means something

Seems that Troy struggled with Dunbar in their scrimmage, very surprising considering Tipp played well and beat Dunbar in the Tri-scrimmage. Like someone said above, it looks like Xenia might be head and shoulders above everyone else, with Troy, Piqua, Tipp and Butler all meddling in mediocrity. Which may mean some less talented teams could get lucky and end up 8-2/7-3

Seems that Troy struggled with Dunbar in their scrimmage, very surprising considering Tipp played well and beat Dunbar in the Tri-scrimmage. Like someone said above, it looks like Xenia might be head and shoulders above everyone else, with Troy, Piqua, Tipp and Butler all meddling in mediocrity. Which may mean some less talented teams could get lucky and end up 8-2/7-3

Troy will definitely be down from last year. But could be the paper tigers of the MVL because of how bad the field is. I think Piqua and Tipp will be right there. No doubt Xenia will be the top team in all of the MVL.

Why a lack of numbers? Why did half last years freshmen quit? Why only 50 kids playing football?

Why a lack of numbers? Why did half last years freshmen quit? Why only 50 kids playing football?
Don’t know maybe it’s just the continued wussification of today’s youth. Too many kids don’t like working and being coached. Too many kids want to play Fortnite and hang out in the AC. Maybe it’s something else I don’t know.