Potential New Football Programs

With Stryker just starting and North Central having announced it, personally I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fayette tried. That would make 6 Buckeye Border Conference football teams.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but then again neither is Stryker or North Central.

With Stryker just starting and North Central having announced it, personally I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fayette tried. That would make 6 Buckeye Border Conference football teams.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but then again neither is Stryker or North Central.

Its worth a shot I guess. You could also add Holgate and Antwerp to the BBC and there you have an 8 team Bukeye Border Conference.

Is there any serious discussion on the possibility of 6 or 8 man football becoming a thing in Ohio? That would open the door to more schools taking on a program.

I also wonder how many OHSAA member schools (with boys) do not have a a football program. They would all be at the D7 level enrollment wise I would guess?

I don't see why Lincolnview couldn't field a team, they only have 200 students less than Delphos Jefferson and Rockford Parkway. Maybe they could start a club team and see how it does with soccer.

if Ohio were to have 8 or six man, I think schools like New Riegel and Miller City should like into it. Any k-12 district that have 500 students and under.

Im surprised that Stryker with only under 370 students in k-12 even started an 11 man football team. Currently these schools have soccer but could start club football teams to see where they go, I could see them having 11 man football From Northwest Ohio Old Fort who just added Bettsville has over 100 boys in the top three grades...Pettisville, over 100 boys from 10-12, Kalida, North Central maybe, Fairlawn and Houston in Shelby County, Botkins in Shelby Co.

Schools that could have 8 or 6 man football
Pioneer New Riegel Berlin Hiland
Fayette Russia Kidron Central Christian
Stryker New Knoxvill
Miller City Jackson Center
Continental Franklin Monroe
Fort Jennings Newton
Ottoville Yellow Springs

For Columbus...

Tree of Life, Madison Christian and Cristo Rey are all possibilities.

Not a possibility: the Wellington School.

Im surprised that Stryker with only under 370 students in k-12 even started an 11 man football team. Currently these schools have soccer but could start club football teams to see where they go, I could see them having 11 man football From Northwest Ohio Old Fort who just added Bettsville has over 100 boys in the top three grades...Pettisville, over 100 boys from 10-12, Kalida, North Central maybe, Fairlawn and Houston in Shelby County, Botkins in Shelby Co.

Schools that could have 8 or 6 man football
Pioneer New Riegel Berlin Hiland
Fayette Russia Kidron Central Christian
Stryker New Knoxvill
Miller City Jackson Center
Continental Franklin Monroe
Fort Jennings Newton
Ottoville Yellow Springs

I don't see Hiland or Kidron CC ever fielding football teams in any form. Soccer is king at Kidron CC, and I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd always heard tales that Hiland's athletic fields sit on land that was deeded under the stipulation that they never start a football program.

if Ohio were to have 8 or six man, I think schools like New Riegel and Miller City should like into it. Any k-12 district that have 500 students and under.

New Reigel yes. Again like Lincolnview, Miller City would be way too small to have both football and soccer successfully.

8 Man football I think would be a cool idea to try. Tiny schools like Russia that are without either football or soccer could benefit.

Speaking of no football or soccer. I still don't understand why Houston doesn't have a football team. They don't have either as well.

I believe Houston tried a few years ago. 2014ish? You look up Houston Ohio football on Google you find something about pee wee football from then, and I seem to remember them playing a JV schedule.

Must not have worked out for them.

I believe Houston tried a few years ago. 2014ish? You look up Houston Ohio football on Google you find something about pee wee football from then, and I seem to remember them playing a JV schedule.

Must not have worked out for them.

I remember them having youth football but don't remember them having anything at the high school level.

I also wonder how many OHSAA member schools (with boys) do not have a a football program. They would all be at the D7 level enrollment wise I would guess?

793 basketball

768 baseball

717 football.

690 track & field

646 golf

600 cross country

575 soccer

483 wrestling

393 tennis

308 bowling

262 swimming & diving

141 lacrosse

79 ice hockey

I remember them having youth football but don't remember them having anything at the high school level.

Yeah, I remember Houston having a youth program. They were actually pretty good too. My son's team played against them and their home field was just a big open yard.

The 2 schools in the conference with my alumni school that don't have football is Franklin Monroe and Newton. Both schools do field a boys and girls soccer team. I know they are smaller schools and I don't believe they could support both boys soccer and football. I have also always heard that there was a reason that Franklin Monroe did not have football. Maybe they did at one time and there was a bad injury, or something along those lines. I don't know if there is any truth to that though.

I will mention Co-Op sports again as many other states do that.

Let FM - Newton form one team for football for example. There needs to be a geo co-location, but it is one potential solution as numbers/teams keep dropping.

I will mention Co-Op sports again as many other states do that.

Let FM - Newton form one team for football for example. There needs to be a geo co-location, but it is one potential solution as numbers/teams keep dropping.

Some cases I think it'd work. Others I'd just rather see consolidation. If Franklin-Monroe and Newton want to form a club team or something similar, there's nothing really stopping them. Will they do so? I doubt it.

West union, North Adams, and West Union are still club teams. I would think at some point they will be part of Ohsaa playoffs. These three schools are in the same school district. They all had football in the 80's but dropped football after a death.

West union, North Adams, and West Union are still club teams. I would think at some point they will be part of Ohsaa playoffs. These three schools are in the same school district. They all had football in the 80's but dropped football after a death.
I hope Eastern Brown, Georgetown, North Adams, Peebles, and West Union's programs all become Varsity at some point!

I think I named them all. Not 100% sure.

Always thought Badger, Bristol and Maplewood had enough enrollment to field football teams, but since they are very rural and soccer infected, I don't believe they have any interest in starting football programs.:dang:

Some cases I think it'd work. Others I'd just rather see consolidation. If Franklin-Monroe and Newton want to form a club team or something similar, there's nothing really stopping them. Will they do so? I doubt it.

Athletics should have zero bearing on whether a district or school exists or not.

Some cases schools are just small and forming a co-op for sports offers a way for small school students to play those sports they otherwise would be unable to play.

Delaware Christian is a school that’s always been, to me, an intriguing candidate to add 8-man football. When I lived there the school had just started to coming around in being the big cheese athletically in the Mid-Ohio Christian Athletic League (MOCAL) after Grove City Christian and Fairfield Christian left. As best as I understand they do get a decent amount freshmen (and older) that enroll in from different schools and play sports there.

With Hayes and Buckeye Valley being woeful programs at football, I could see traction building with football parents who attend the school’s sponsoring church in starting some organized ball in the middle school level and in 3-5 years they create an 8-man program. Plus the school is within 20 minutes of the Big Walnut, Olentangy and I believe Jonathan Alder & Dublin districts... so it could attract any spillovers or kids that wouldn’t see the field.

Delaware Christian is a school that’s always been, to me, an intriguing candidate to add 8-man football. When I lived there the school had just started to coming around in being the big cheese athletically in the Mid-Ohio Christian Athletic League (MOCAL) after Grove City Christian and Fairfield Christian left. As best as I understand they do get a decent amount freshmen (and older) that enroll in from different schools and play sports there.

With Hayes and Buckeye Valley being woeful programs at football, I could see traction building with football parents who attend the school’s sponsoring church in starting some organized ball in the middle school level and in 3-5 years they create an 8-man program. Plus the school is within 20 minutes of the Big Walnut, Olentangy and I believe Jonathan Alder & Dublin districts... so it could attract any spillovers or kids that wouldn’t see the field.

Not that far from Marysville either. And while a small school, a good program up at Pleasant isn't far away.

Not that far from Marysville either. And while a small school, a good program up at Pleasant isn't far away.
All good points. Another thing I hadn’t also considered is the town has a Catholic grade school that, last I remembered, yields 40 kids per class and fields a football team that competes against the Central Catholic League feeder schools. There’s not a very consistent feeding pattern from that parish school to any Catholic HS’s (Watterson is a beast of a commute with rush hour traffic flows, and Marion Catholic is in memoriam) and — as much as I like Delaware — Hayes is a football dead end along with neighboring Buckeye Valley being a football program forever stuck in the mud.

Athletics should have zero bearing on whether a district or school exists or not.

Some cases schools are just small and forming a co-op for sports offers a way for small school students to play those sports they otherwise would be unable to play.
The small Putnam County schools are good examples of this. Just enough kids to put together good basketball, soccer, and baseball teams every few years, most of them with traditionally very good basketball teams even at the state level, but not enough enrollment for football or to be competitive in track & field, cross country, or wrestling. Even though they're all too small for certain sports, the average Putnam County school is head and shoulders above the average school in the state for quality of education and graduation rates.

The small Putnam County schools are good examples of this. Just enough kids to put together good basketball, soccer, and baseball teams every few years, most of them with traditionally very good basketball teams even at the state level, but not enough enrollment for football or to be competitive in track & field, cross country, or wrestling. Even though they're all too small for certain sports, the average Putnam County school is head and shoulders above the average school in the state for quality of education and graduation rates.
There’s a school in that area, I believe, that gutted football a long time ago after a student died. Might have been Continental?

OHSAA must sanction 8-man football to help out schools that currently offer football as a sport. I don't know how many new programs you'll see pop up, especially now with the losses from covid. Whether it's 8-man or 11-an, you still need equipment, facilities and staff and that all costs money.

There’s a school in that area, I believe, that gutted football a long time ago after a student died. Might have been Continental?

That's the rumor.

No one in the area can ever seem to pinpoint or back up if it's true. Regardless, most years Continental and Kalida are big enough to support football, just not football AND soccer. Neither are much smaller than Pandora.

At the least, a Miller City-Continental and Fort Jennings-Ottoville co-op could work. Kalida could really join either if they wanted.

Co-ops need to happen in Ohio. There's zero reason to shut down good performing districts like these over sports, but if 2-3 can combine and have enough kids interested in football the state is doing those kids a disservice by not allowing it.