Potential New Football Programs

This thread did look familiar lol.

But realtalk, I didn't realize Russia didn't have Soccer.
Fall time's gotta be boring as sin if you're Raider.
The only update I have is that Houston added soccer. Well according to Arbiterlive at least. Looking at their youth football team's Facebook page, their last posts were from 2015.

School Details (arbiterlive.com)

Looking at Russia's enrollment, they have 47 boys in grades 9-11.

The talk of Lincolnview not having football popped up on the schools off the beaten path thread which got me thinking. Also, with Arbiter showing some varsity games for Latham Western for this season, how many new football programs could potentially come into existence?

http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/7927721

The start up at Latham (Pike County) has been struggling to get going and I believe no games were played in 2020. They are (were?) going the club team route in the Southern Ohio Independent League so as to build a foundation.

A better question might be this: given the financial hit to high school football programs caused by the contagion, will there be more schools dropping football or converting to six or eight man football?

The start up at Latham (Pike County) has been struggling to get going and I believe no games were played in 2020. They are (were?) going the club team route in the Southern Ohio Independent League so as to build a foundation.

A better question might be this: given the financial hit to high school football programs caused by the contagion, will there be more schools dropping football or converting to six or eight man football?
Well didn't they try to add soccer at the same time?

THIS is a major problem for the Blanchard Valley Conference. Cory-Rawson already plays 8-man at the JH level and they seem to be heading in that direction. Another victim of being too small for both football and soccer. Vanlue might also fold. They might struggle to get 11 kids out in general. I understand the keeping your community identity by having your school but the Lue really could benefit academically and athletically with a merger with Arcadia. I know I toot the consolidation horn alot but it's the truth.

Last edited:

THIS is a major problem for the Blanchard Valley Conference. Cory-Rawson already plays 8-man at the JH level and they seem to be heading in that direction. Another victim of being too small for both football and soccer. Vanlue might also fold. They might struggle to get 11 kids out in general. I understand the keeping your community identity by having your school but the Lue really could benefit academically and athletically with a merger with Arcadia. I know I root the consolidation horn alot but it's the truth.

Arcadia-Vanlue is just different. Like Bettsville-Old Fort, even a consolidation makes for ONE small school. Not like it's 2 schools big enough to consistently support themselves...According to the latest ODE data, Vanlue has fewer than 10 students, period in a couple younger classes. That just sounds like a waste of utilities.

THIS is a major problem for the Blanchard Valley Conference. Cory-Rawson already plays 8-man at the JH level and they seem to be heading in that direction. Another victim of being too small for both football and soccer. Vanlue might also fold. They might struggle to get 11 kids out in general. I understand the keeping your community identity by having your school but the Lue really could benefit academically and athletically with a merger with Arcadia. I know I root the consolidation horn alot but it's the truth.
They would be better off splitting Vanlue up with some going to Carey, Arcadia, Riverdale and maybe even some to Findlay. Those in southern end of current Vanlue district would have one long drive when Riverdale is closer and those in the town of Vanlue and east Carey is much closer than Arcadia and real easy drive on 568.

1607790644154.png

There’s a school in that area, I believe, that gutted football a long time ago after a student died. Might have been Continental?
The story that I have heard is that Continental had a team in the early 1920's, but after a year or two had a player die on the field and did away with the team. Not sure if that's true or not but I've heard it from several different people.

If they had a program on their own today I'm not sure how successful they would be. Their boys enrollment for basketball was 53. The other Putnam County schools are OG with 203, Columbus Grove with 126, Leipsic with 75, and Pandora with 62. Cory-Rawson, who has been in the conversation for a while now of dropping football, has 57 boys. I haven't paid attention to much other than football in the last few years, so I'm not sure where the teams are at now, but Continental has put together many years of good basketball and baseball teams, from what I can see they are content with that

As far as Houston goes, They went a different route then Anna and Ft. Loramie took to try and start a program. Houston started with Pee Wee football. After a few years, when the kids became 7th and 8th graders, they took it to the school board to start a JH program. The superintendent did not want football and it was shot down. I believe proposed it for a couple of more years to no avail. They continued the Pee Wee program for a few more years then it died. A few kids that played Pee Wee played for Anna, Covington and maybe Sidney. At least one of the coaches went to Covington as a Varsity assistant also. But the school killed it.

They would be better off splitting Vanlue up with some going to Carey, Arcadia, Riverdale and maybe even some to Findlay. Those in southern end of current Vanlue district would have one long drive when Riverdale is closer and those in the town of Vanlue and east Carey is much closer than Arcadia and real easy drive on 568.

View attachment 12718
I've never quite understood why people always bring up Arcadia as a merging partner when mentioning Vanlue. It seemed to make more sense to me for Vanlue to merge with Carey. The school buildings are only 6 miles apart.

I've never quite understood why people always bring up Arcadia as a merging partner when mentioning Vanlue. It seemed to make more sense to me for Vanlue to merge with Carey. The school buildings are only 6 miles apart.
It most likely because of being in different counties but I agree if Vanlue does a full merger Carey is a much more logical partner.

Arcadia-Vanlue is just different. Like Bettsville-Old Fort, even a consolidation makes for ONE small school. Not like it's 2 schools big enough to consistently support themselves...According to the latest ODE data, Vanlue has fewer than 10 students, period in a couple younger classes. That just sounds like a waste of utilities.

Bettsville Schools was actually absorbed by Old Fort with the State acquiring Bettsville’s debt.

It most likely because of being in different counties but I agree if Vanlue does a full merger Carey is a much more logical partner.
County lines have no impact on school district boundaries. So that would have no impact on a consolidated school system.

As far as Houston goes, They went a different route then Anna and Ft. Loramie took to try and start a program. Houston started with Pee Wee football. After a few years, when the kids became 7th and 8th graders, they took it to the school board to start a JH program. The superintendent did not want football and it was shot down. I believe proposed it for a couple of more years to no avail. They continued the Pee Wee program for a few more years then it died. A few kids that played Pee Wee played for Anna, Covington and maybe Sidney. At least one of the coaches went to Covington as a Varsity assistant also. But the school killed it.
Is it still the same superintendent today?

County lines have no impact on school district boundaries. So that would have no impact on a consolidated school system.
Clearly I know that since I proposed part of the district go to Carey. I was answering a possible reason why people always talk about Arcadia as a consolidation partner but not Carey.

If and when a consolidation happens the most logically would be to split the district up by proximity to boarding districts for travel purposes.

FM and Newton would never happen. They are too far apart and spread out. FM merging with Arcanum.
Newton merging with Covington would be options. Bradford merging with Versailles and maybe some kids going to Covington would be an option. Bethel and Miami East becoming one district would make a larger school. Miami East, Miami West. Miami East would stretch from Huber to Shelby County line and Piqua. Miami West from P Hill to Darke County to Shelby County.
Gets too big.

FM and Newton would never happen. They are too far apart and spread out. FM merging with Arcanum.
Newton merging with Covington would be options. Bradford merging with Versailles and maybe some kids going to Covington would be an option. Bethel and Miami East becoming one district would make a larger school. Miami East, Miami West. Miami East would stretch from Huber to Shelby County line and Piqua. Miami West from P Hill to Darke County to Shelby County.
Gets too big.
FM and Arcanum would be an interesting merger! Bradford I would assume would merge with Covington. Those schools are like 2 miles or so apart. I don't think Newton has to merge if they dont want to but combining with Bradford/Covington would make for great athletics but I'm not sure how that would work logistically and academically. Certainly would be interesting as well. Bethel merging with Miami East to me would be too much IMO and they're both growing.

With Stryker just starting and North Central having announced it, personally I wouldn't be totally shocked if Fayette tried. That would make 6 Buckeye Border Conference football teams.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but then again neither is Stryker or North Central.
Fayette gauged interest in starting a soccer team but couldn't get enough support or commitments to follow through, even with the intent of playing a JV schedule for 2 years. They get about 18-20 boys out for Cross Country/Golf combined but most of the kids use the fall to get ready for basketball season.

Here is sort of a spinoff I guess. With success of Ft Loramie and Anna making it look 'Easy'

How many 'new' programs who are 25 years old or younger have won a State Title?
I guess you can include those who formed new schools in the cities but I am more interested in places that had no football and started from the beginning

I can think of Anna an Ft Recovery is right on that cusp of 25 years. I want to say their first varsity season was 97 or so, but had a JV season or two before that so they would be right around that 25 mark.