Benedictine 2019

We will see. I still think the NCl is very challenging with maybe the exception of Walsh. But with Walsh making a good fire/hire they should also be improving.

Bengals are 6-9 in ncl play the last 3 seasons. 3 of those 6 wins have come against a 3-27 Walsh teams. Until there is at 3 or more league win season from the bengals like in 15’ and previous years. I’m going to stick with it being a tough league still.
It's hard to peg how tough this league is, and which direction it's heading in that respect. 2017 looked like it was starting to turn in the right direction, with Padua and NDCL having strong seasons and winning a playoff game. Then 2018 happened, with the same two teams starting strong, only to collapse the 2nd half of the season. Benny was only in the hunt because Region 5 was historically bad. The NCL really needs traditional powers like Benny and Walsh to find it again.

It's hard to peg how tough this league is, and which direction it's heading in that respect. 2017 looked like it was starting to turn in the right direction, with Padua and NDCL having strong seasons and winning a playoff game. Then 2018 happened, with the same two teams starting strong, only to collapse the 2nd half of the season. Benny was only in the hunt because Region 5 was historically bad. The NCL really needs traditional powers like Benny and Lake Catholic to find it again.

Changed your post.

Walsh has had nice teams but always seemed to under-performed in the playoffs. On the other hand Lake Catholic has been a historically strong post season program with multiple state title.

It's hard to peg how tough this league is, and which direction it's heading in that respect. 2017 looked like it was starting to turn in the right direction, with Padua and NDCL having strong seasons and winning a playoff game. Then 2018 happened, with the same two teams starting strong, only to collapse the 2nd half of the season. Benny was only in the hunt because Region 5 was historically bad. The NCL really needs traditional powers like Benny and Walsh to find it again.

I more lean on the idea that if you can’t win more league games than you lose. Then it’s hard to say a league isn’t tough or what the trend is.

Padua and NDCL collapsed during NCL play. Costing both teams playoff opportunities. I think that’s to the credit of how no game is a given in the ncl. Bengals saw in week 10. Going against a 0 win Walsh team, that if you sleep on them they are going to give you a fight.

2019 will be another exciting year.

its hard to say something is good just because you cant win games. We have been bad and losing to these other teams doesn't make them good it just reinforces that we were bad hence why we almost lost to a winless Walsh team. Especially in high school sports you can be so good that sleeping on a team doesn't matter e.g. Normandy 2014,not a single one of us took them seriously (we weren't even allowed to watch film on them), and we were up 35 scratch halfway through the first. I would categorize the league as average discounting Hoban's ridiculous run. Teams are winning their nonconference games but their nonconference competition is lacking whether that is because it is planned or their tough opponents underachieve

Last edited:
Changed your post.

Walsh has had nice teams but always seemed to under-performed in the playoffs. On the other hand Lake Catholic has been a historically strong post season program with multiple state title.
That is true regarding Lake Catholic's history, but they continue to be a long ways from those days. If Walsh has the right person running their program, I think they have the better resources and enrollment numbers to get it going again, if they want to go after it.

Lake Catholic cupboard is totally empty for next three years. The last two frosh classes were very bad. They literally will be lucky to win three games.

What have the 9th grade teams looked like from the NCL, over the past 2 years? That seems to be a better measuring stick, than analyzing kids that are graduating.

Not anywhere near that with one exception and that was last year's seniors were 9-1 with only a loss to Hoban. Levi Pokersnick was the QB on that team and later transferred. This year's seniors were not that good and lost quite a few. Fox was by far the superior athlete on that team .

Not anywhere near that with one exception and that was last year's seniors were 9-1 with only a loss to Hoban. Levi Pokersnick was the QB on that team and later transferred. This year's seniors were not that good and lost quite a few. Fox was by far the superior athlete on that team .
Levi Pokersnik was injured for the last 4 games of his freshman year. #6 was the QB for the last 4 games. Actually 3-1/2 games. That freshman squad was loaded. Transfers & injuries prevented greatness as seniors.

I believe the seniors from the 2016 season won 7 games and had to retroactively forfeit 4 because of the Reese issues.
no clue what the seniors from 2015"s record was
My senior class went 4-5 as freshmen

Benedictine should be grateful that it plays in Region 5. 7 out of 26 teams in Region 5 had winning seasons in 2018. Region 5 was intentionally gerrymandered to enable teams that aren't traditionally competitive against the more successful programs and teams that are no longer able to compete successfully to still have a chance to make the playoffs at the expense of more successful programs. If OHSAA continues to fool around with the formula, HS football will become just another casualty of political correctness in Ohio.

Benedictine should be grateful that it plays in Region 5. 7 out of 26 teams in Region 5 had winning seasons in 2018. Region 5 was intentionally gerrymandered to enable teams that aren't traditionally competitive against the more successful programs and teams that are no longer able to compete successfully to still have a chance to make the playoffs at the expense of more successful programs. If OHSAA continues to fool around with the formula, HS football will become just another casualty of political correctness in Ohio.
Do you work for the State of Ohio? How do you have any clue how the state assigns teams to what regions? I do agree that the state has no clue what they are doing putting together regions, in any sport. Seems as though they throw darts at a dart board to pick teams in each region, with the exception of D-1 schools. It seems as they balance same numbers of teams in each region, not considering team strength. In 2014 Benedictine was in the same region as defending State Champ Toledo Central Catholic. Your theory is just that...a theory. Then again your dislike for Benedictine fuels your comments.

It certainly isn't a lottery.

Do you work for the State of Ohio? How do you have any clue how the state assigns teams to what regions? I do agree that the state has no clue what they are doing putting together regions, in any sport. Seems as though they throw darts at a dart board to pick teams in each region, with the exception of D-1 schools. It seems as they balance same numbers of teams in each region, not considering team strength. In 2014 Benedictine was in the same region as defending State Champ Toledo Central Catholic. Your theory is just that...a theory. Then again your dislike for Benedictine fuels your comments.

Liberal, right? LOL!

Just got update lots of positive happening at HOC. Weight room is buzzing young men working hard! Next years Jr class is fully entrenched & committed to returning to playoff! Will have strong Sr. leadership from Charles Rosser (D1 WR), Jalen Edwards (RB/LB), Uchenna (DE), Levi Fair (DL) & Mike Davis(WR/DE) . O-line all returning starters all Jr’s incl Beltavski, Hamrick, Black, Vasko, Jolly, Gregor, & Womack, Jr. Skilled players- Gales (WR/DB), Rogers (RB,DB), Lott (DB/WR), Fletcher (DB), Johnson (WR/DB). Look out for players Hollan (LB,TR), Merrill (LB/RB) and player they call Bama (LB type), all will have big part in next season. QB will most likely be Schulz( Jr) who led 2021 Frosh team to 8-1 record. Kicker is best in area name Ivan Shuran. Above does not include talented to be Soph class. Benny alum are excited with return of Goode, Kobylinski, Prevesk, McClendon returning to coach and lead this group. Players are excited-now just need the alumni & parents to embrace the effort and support this group. Future looks bright. Who’s in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got update lots of positive happening at HOC. Weight room is buzzing young men working hard! Next years Jr class is fully entrenched & committed to returning to playoff! Will have strong Sr. leadership from Charles Rosser (D1 WR), Jalen Edwards (RB/LB), Uchenna (DE), Levi Fair (DL) & Mike Davis(WR/DE) . O-line all returning starters all Jr’s incl Beltavski, Hamrick, Black, Vasko, Jolly, Gregor, & Womack, Jr. Skilled players- Gales (WR/DB), Rogers (RB,DB), Lott (DB/WR), Fletcher (DB), Johnson (WR/DB). Look out for players Hollan (LB,TR), Merrill (LB/RB) and player they call Bama (LB type), all will have big part in next season. QB will most likely be Schulz( Jr) who led 2021 Frosh team to 8-1 record. Kicker is best in area name Ivan Shuran. Above does not include talented to be Soph class. Benny alum are excited with return of Goode, Kobylinski, Prevesk, McClendon returning to coach and lead this group. Players are excited-now just need the alumni & parents to embrace the effort and support this group. Future looks bright. Who’s in?

Let’s order the banner now!

First five non- conference. Aug 30
@Ursuline. Sept 6 Shaker. Sept 14 Cleveland Central Catholic Sept 20 @Erie Prep. Sept 27 @ Austintown Fitch next 5 are NCL games flip home and away from last year....same order

08/30 A Youngstown Ursuline
09/06 H Shaker Heights
09/14 H Cleveland Central Catholic
09/20 A Erie Cathedral Preparatory (PA)
09/27 A Austintown Fitch
10/04 H Akron Archbishop Hoban
10/11 A Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
10/18 H Mentor Lake Catholic
10/26 H Parma Padua Franciscan
11/01 A Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
6-4

Woogies back after freezing his last thread! Looking more like 8 to 9 wins, with top half playoff bid. Not sure you know the competitive landscape or returning talent on this roster...