Benedictine 2019

8 to 9 wins, with top half playoff bid. Not sure you know the competitive landscape or returning talent on this roster...

It may take 8 Wins, just to get in. Traditionally tough schools that all seem to be trending downwards. Not many CPU points on there.

It may take 8 Wins, just to get in. Traditionally tough schools that all seem to be trending downwards. Not many CPU points on there.

Agree- the CCC add doesnt help with CPU pts. Will need to beat SH and/or AF based on higher division will help. The landscape in general is declining, still think NCL is strong overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was announced that Principal Sue Zulandt will retire from Benedictine at the end of this school year.

Looks like Justin Layne could be a 2nd round prospect as this is a weak CB class and he had a showed well at the combine. SI has him in the top 50 overall, here is what they say about him:

49. JUSTIN LAYNE, CB, MICHIGAN STATE
Height: 6' 1 3⁄4" | Weight: 192 pounds
A converted wide receiver still learning the position, Layne has ideal length (33-inch arms) and the fluid athleticism to mirror more effectively than most big corners. As he becomes more instinctive and begins making more plays on the ball, he could emerge as a quality starter with a chance to top out as a star.

Layne would absolutely look good in a Browns uniform.

The Bengals won twice last Saturday. In basketball, they defeated Revere and will face rival VASJ on Wednesday in the regioanals at Canton.

Then earlier (although taped) Benedictine defeated Gilmour Academy and Independence on the TV show Academic Challenge.

I wonder if Parkhaven was watching that TV show?

I always wish the young men from our community nothing but the very best. I truly hope none of them play in Cleveland though, professionally in sports. IMO think it's best for them to focus on their careers, their families, and causes that they choose to engage while being so young, with so many eyes on them. Playing in town makes it hard. Everyone wants a moment, a favor, or an "appearance." Just focusing on doing your job and being a good member of your family in your 20's.

Hopefully Justin finds a way into the 1st half of the 2nd round!

maybe that could be avoided 30 years ago but now most athletes go back to their local areas in the offseason so for 6 months of the year they are still exposed to people asking for "a moment, a favor, or an 'appearance'." I don't see why being exposed to it to the entire year makes a difference. people that want to use you for your money or fame will find you regardless of where you play.

maybe that could be avoided 30 years ago but now most athletes go back to their local areas in the offseason so for 6 months of the year they are still exposed to people asking for "a moment, a favor, or an 'appearance'." I don't see why being exposed to it to the entire year makes a difference. people that want to use you for your money or fame will find you regardless of where you play.

We will have to agree to disagree with that statement.... Different opinions are healthy though. Best to you.

In several mock drafts, they have Justin Layne going to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the beginning of the 3rd round.

4b298b262dc6e15115255d97b6c862d1.jpg

Wow! That is great if Justin jumps to the first round. Most prognosticators have him going in the lat 2nd or early 3rd round.

I see him going in 2nd but the CB is so important in today’s passing game, It’s realistic he gets picked in 1st...especially with his size & ball hawking skills! Fingers crossed. Great young man & is the type that will be present around the Benedictine community just like Baker & others! Should be fun to watch!

This is the year Benedictine surprises a lot of people.

Playoffs will be happening. Question is how much can they close the gap between them and Hoban?

This is the year Benedictine surprises a lot of people.

Playoffs will be happening. Question is how much can they close the gap between them and Hoban?

Anything less would be below expectations. One thing about Benny will be O-Line. Those young men are all returning. Hoban lost several upfront but have very good skilled group returning. Could be interesting.

lets pump the brakes and win some games before we go playoffs are happening how can we close the gap with the 4x defending state champs. I like the new coaching staff but everything isn't a quick fix.

lets pump the brakes and win some games before we go playoffs are happening how can we close the gap with the 4x defending state champs. I like the new coaching staff but everything isn't a quick fix.

It’s a quick fix when you have a solid group of football players at every position and the opponents are losing several of their key positions. That combined with new experienced coaching staff that understands the Benedictine community. It’s OK to set the expectations high. This isn’t a rebuild, it’s a let’s get these young men with talent to reach their potential and perform at a higher level than past....

I played on a team that won a state title in year 2 of a coaching change and nobody was saying we were a playoff lock the second Schaefer took over and our talent pool was much deeper.

Last edited:
Congrats on the State Championship! Great stuff. Not sure who said Playoff lock? But being optimistic & having a goal of playoffs should be part of any Benny team. This one no different. Just not looking to go into a season with a “pump the brakes” mentality. As an observer of the team-not player- I would expect this team to make the playoffs. There too many Bengal fans that are too crtitical/pessimistic. Need support these Bengals!

the original post that started my pump the breaks comment said "playoffs are happening." You can support a team and still have a realistic outlook on the season. State championships are expected around here but that doesn't mean every team has a legitimate shot at achieving that or even putting together a playoff run.

My point is that they have a legitimate shot. In knowing the returning players—9 returning starters on offense and 8 returning starters on defense, along with many of NCL teams losing several Sr’s. It would equate to having a playoff ready team. Unless you can be more specific as to why “to pump breaks”-I say its time to get behind this group & expect a playoff run! Go Bengals!

I played on a team that won a state title in year of a coaching change 2 and nobody was saying we were a playoff lock the second Schaefer took over and our talent pool was much deeper.

What makes you consider that group of young men, more skilled than this upcoming group? Not an attack, or a defense. Just curious.

Unless Region 5 somehow vastly improves in 2019, it was very low bar to get in the top 8. it likely won't take a huge leap for any school to get in the tournament.

What makes you consider that group of young men, more skilled than this upcoming group? Not an attack, or a defense. Just curious.

Granted I obviously have some bias here.
Baker is with the dolphins, JL is going to be our highest draft pick in school history. I play at UC, Saba plays at ECU, lamar is at Toledo, TJ is at Ball state, Page played at BGSU for 3 years, Jalen plays at one of the best NAIA schools in the country, Merimee played at Miami OH, Dontez would have been a D1 back if he played his cards better because he had offers, Davon plays at Tiffin, Davvel signed D2 and a group of players having success at the D3 level. Schoeffler was one of the best qbs in school history and there plenty of other players who could have played college ball if they pursued it.

I will admit my knowledge of the personnel in the program has diminished since my brother graduated but I feel fairly confident in saying that volume of next level talent is not present.

Last edited:
Even though you have mentioned 3 or 4 Div l team members ,I believe non of these three have hit the field much if any. Charles Rosser and Chris Gales are Div I with Charles already receiving an offer. There are 2 or 3 others on this team that could get offers as well.

Granted I obviously have some bias here.
Baker is with the dolphins, JL is going to be our highest draft pick in school history. I play at UC, Saba plays at ECU, lamar is at Toledo, TJ is at Ball state, Page played at BGSU for 3 years, Jalen plays at one of the best NAIA schools in the country, Merimee played at Miami OH, Dontez would have been a D1 back if he played his cards better because he had offers, Davon plays at Tiffin, Davvel signed D2 and a group of players having success at the D3 level. Schoeffler was one of the best qbs in school history and there plenty of other players who could have played college ball if they pursued it.

I will admit my knowledge of the personnel in the program has diminished since my brother graduated but I feel fairly confident in saying that volume of next level talent is not present.

Just curious, how do you admit that you don't know the personnel, and follow by saying your confident that volume cannot play at the next level?

We all agree that those state champs were the real deal---led by soon to be
2 NFL players. But "pump the breaks" when you plan to piss on another groups parade, when you admittedly don't know the group in the program.

May also want to keep in mind that the teams are now competing in Div II vs Div IV (enrollments the same). Makes a big difference when comparing teams. That DII 15' LaSalle (still DII) team looked pretty tough!

Just curious, how do you admit that you don't know the personnel, and follow by saying your confident that volume cannot play at the next level?

We all agree that those state champs were the real deal---led by soon to be
2 NFL players. But "pump the breaks" when you plan to piss on another groups parade, when you admittedly don't know the group in the program.

May also want to keep in mind that the teams are now competing in Div II vs Div IV (enrollments the same). Makes a big difference when comparing teams. That DII 15' LaSalle (still DII) team looked pretty tough!

I admitted that my knowledge of the personnel had diminished. I still watch games, visit practices, work out with the team when I am in town and talk to people who are closer to the program than I am currently able to.

Divisions are purely based on enrollment so saying that they are in d2 vs d4 doesn't say anything about the quality of opponents they face just the size of the student body the team is created from so I don't even know what the point of mentioning that was.

I am not trying to take shots at the current players. I am simply stating the reasons I believed the contributing group in 2013 had a deeper talent pool because I was asked for an explanation.

I admitted that my knowledge of the personnel had diminished. I still watch games, visit practices, work out with the team when I am in town and talk to people who are closer to the program than I am currently able to.

Divisions are purely based on enrollment so saying that they are in d2 vs d4 doesn't say anything about the quality of opponents they face just the size of the student body the team is created from so I don't even know what the point of mentioning that was.

I am not trying to take shots at the current players. I am simply stating the reasons I believed the contributing group in 2013 had a deeper talent pool because I was asked for an explanation.

I appreciate the friendly banter. Lets agree that you believed that your group had a deeper talent pool because it was YOUR group. I appreciate that pride and would expect no different. But I would suggest hold off from comparing another group by saying there's not as many next level players without knowing the players. I included the Div differences to highlight how much it has changed in the short time you played. Including that fact that enrollment has nothing to do with Div Assignments. As you should, you are very proud of your team and opened the discussion to compare the 2 groups and go as far as saying this group will not have as many "next level" players. I agree that your team had exceptional talent but would also include it had a different path to the crown/success which could be a variable in players moving onto the next level. Since you graduated the OHSAA instituted something called Competitive Balance adjustments to determine Division assignments. Basically, feeder schools are determined based on # of students attending from the same school and are assigned a value. All other schools are assigned a greater value & if students come from a public school its an even a higher value. I attached the 2018 div assignment link below. What you will notice is that Benny although has 264 enrolled are competing against vast majority schools that have 2x the male enrollment (see 2017 EMIS enrollment column & can easily compare). In addition, we are added +169 (2nd most of all DII) value based on the CB formula. Making the CB enrollment appear to be 433 males at the school. If you review the list its apparent, the 3 schools Clev Cath, Benny, & Hoban are impacted the most by this newer procedure. Whats glaring is that all 3 are urban, inner city settings that pull from a vastly wide range of areas, schools, & areas. Benny being the only all male school. Making it an even tougher but accepted challenge. IMO, its a biased approach and the policy needs to be reviewed. I share this to explain that your point regarding enrollment has only a small part of determining Div assignments and comparing 2 groups. Would enjoy your take on the Competitive Balance impacts of the divisional assignments?

https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournament.../2018-Football-Division-II-School-Assignments

Go Bengals!

While I admitted that I had bias I will not agree that I think that group was more talented simply because I was a part of it.
I know what competitive balance is, how it works, and why it was instituted. I haven been living under a rock in my free time since I graduated. It attempts to push the smaller private schools who are "too good" into higher divisions. the effectiveness of this is debated as some kind of adjustment to it is up for voting by ohsaa every year. It still doesn't have any impact on your regular season schedule and for the most part due to harbins by the time you make the playoffs everyone is good. So again divisions don't really say much about the general quality of opponents.