Benedictine 2019

Current QB sought Hoban out, not vice versa. He also visited St Ed’s but It was too far. He also played AAU football in Cleveland and went to camps all over the country. He was never going to Austintown. His parents saw the opportunity at Hoban with the graduation of DC, 2 time state champ QB. Void was there.

St. Ed’s was too far? Gee. What an inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know more. No, I know more. No, I do. No, I do.

Who knows the real truth?

A. Findy "Schooldownthehill you don't know the facts" 15
or
B. School "I do know the facts. I know more then you'll EVER know" downthehill

latest

Who knows the real truth?

A. Findy "Schooldownthehill you don't know the facts" 15
or
B. School "I do know the facts. I know more then you'll EVER know" downthehill

latest

School was the kid growing up that told people his dad would beat up their dad and he always had to top anyones stories.

Hahaha. Bwaaaaa bengalgrappler and fac974. If you even knew.......

Oh I know the type of person you are. The guy that hangs out around the kids. Trying to impress them with all your our feats and accomplishments.
How many times have you dropped on them how much you use to bench?

And to turn this thing away from a pissing war here is the 2019 Athletic Hall of Fame Class:

1. Frank Janoch '56: was the second of Benedictine's state wrestling champions winning the 138-pound class in 1956 and helping the Bengals to a fifth place finish as a team. He also was a quick running back on the 1955 football team, the first coached by Augie Bossu, as the Bengals finished a 9-0 season with a record-setting 47-6 win over St. Ignatius in the Charity Game.

2. Jeff Chorba '63: earned varsity letters in four sports: football, basketball, baseball and golf for the Bengals. As quarterback for the Bengals in 1962, Chorba's pinpoint passing led to an important win over Massillon and a last-minute victory over rival Cathedral Latin 6-0. Posting a 9-2 overall record, the Bengals were East Senate champions.

3. Gary Barnes '69: set a school record with 47 catches as a senior in 1968 in an era when the rushing attack was dominant. Barnes, who earned Plain Dealer All-Scholastic honors, helped the Bengals to an East Senate co-championship. At the University of Louisville, Barnes earned Associated Press All-America honorable mention at tight end. He is still listed among the Cardinals all-time leaders in several pass receiving categories.

4. Wayne Bacik '70: played on three Cleveland City Championship teams in two sports. He was the captain of the 1969 Bengals football team that defeated St. Ignatius 18-7 in the championship game at the old Stadium. In baseball, Bacik played on the 1968 and 1969 city title teams. As a senior, he was chosen to the All-East Senate team in football and to the Plain Dealer All-Scholastic team as an honorable mention in baseball. He was also elected Mr. Benedictine.

5. Brendan Walton '84: was an outstanding runner who re-energized the distance running events at Benedictine. As a senior in the state meet, he finished second by less than one second in the Class AAA (large school) 3,200-meter run. He set school records in four individual events and was on two record-setting relay teams. In cross-country he was a two-time team MVP and three-year letterman.

6. Kevin Coffey '96: set a school record with 258 receiving yards on just 5 catches in his varsity debut as the Bengals defeated Sandusky 30-7 in 1994. In basketball, Coffey scored 1,031 career points, which is still eighth on the all-time list. He had a very successful career at the University of Virginia as a three-year starter at wide receiver, then signed as a free agent in 2001 with the Carolina Panthers.

Hearing a would be returning starter land a big piece of the stacked freshman class have both transferred out. And mumblings of others possibly following.

Hearing a would be returning starter land a big piece of the stacked freshman class have both transferred out. And mumblings of others possibly following.

What is a mumbling?.... I've heard of rumblings before, but mumblings?!?!?

Again, Chicken Littles, the sky is not falling. In the 10 years my kids have gone to Benedictine, the retention rate has been right around 75%. A freshman class will come in right about 120 boys, and 4 years later, that class will graduate around 90. Yesterday, marked the unofficial start of the 2nd semester (officially the 2nd semester starts on Wednesday, January 9th). This is the second highest time of the year when the boys who transfer, do (end of the year being the first).
There are many reasons why boys transfer out. IMO, the top 3 are:
1. Academics
2. Financial
3. Not the right fit
other reasons include discipline, no girls and sports.
It has been that way for years and will probably continue for years to come. If you check out similar Catholic schools with similar demographics the retention rate, I am guessing, would be about the same.

Again, Chicken Littles, the sky is not falling. In the 10 years my kids have gone to Benedictine, the retention rate has been right around 75%. A freshman class will come in right about 120 boys, and 4 years later, that class will graduate around 90. Yesterday, marked the unofficial start of the 2nd semester (officially the 2nd semester starts on Wednesday, January 9th). This is the second highest time of the year when the boys who transfer, do (end of the year being the first).
There are many reasons why boys transfer out. IMO, the top 3 are:
1. Academics
2. Financial
3. Not the right fit
other reasons include discipline, no girls and sports.
It has been that way for years and will probably continue for years to come. If you check out similar Catholic schools with similar demographics the retention rate, I am guessing, would be about the same.
Sure if that's all around the entire class/school. But if it's just from the football team, that's an entirely different scenario.

Why do you publish this false news on this site TBone. Do you get some kind of pleasure doing this? There will not be 7-10 transfers. Maybe 3 at most and couple more backups that had no chance at playing in games. Now these are facts not the cr.. you talk.

Again, no horse in this race, just 10 years of observations. I have seen no dramatic rise in football players transferring out in Coach Welo's tenure. I would say it's a safe bet that around the same number of boys transfer out yearly through the Bortnick, Melbassa and Schaefer eras. The presence of social media over the last several years has just brought more attention to the boys who do transfer.

:laugh:
And this great Padua team with multiple Div I players did what in the playoffs? If cracking .500 with some of the best talent a school has had in years is your thing it looks like Polo is your man.

That position of importance you’re talking about is the reason all that talent was wasted. If Polo made a mistake it was allowing that kids parents to dictate his starting QB. The INT he threw against LC (the second of three in the fourth quarter when they had a 13 point lead) to end their season. A pick six on a quick slant from his own endzone that was so bad it’d make more sense if I knew he did it intentionally. Good luck finding a kid on that team that isn’t happy to have Drew Butler back under center.
And the fact that Bene is even talking about Padua means that Polo has done a good job. And when you have Welo you shouldn’t be talking about anybody else’s HC anyways.

Last edited:
Some fake news here. First the freshmen qb at Padua is no longer there , he transferred. Carter did not kick to Long he pooch kicked it every time . Thirdly Chris Lorber did not fire Coach Bortnick , he wasn't the AD when he . left. The fact is no one has been fired at Benny lately. Ben Malbasa left for NDCL and Joe Schaef left for Maryland. Both there choices.

Fake news? As of today French is still at Padua. He’s leaving but stop stating facts when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

You know absolutely nothing about those young men who transferred. None of the was po'ed. One left because his dad thought he should D 1 recruited. He left and is still not D1 recruited. Another left to improve his grades so he would become D1 eligible. The other moved to Twinsburg and his mom didn't want to pay tuition and commute from so far. Coach Well and staff are well liked and respected.

Apparently you’re the guy who talks about fake news and other people knowing absolutely nothing while being the guy who knows nothing.
I’ve known Carter (not well but a little) since he recruited my oldest son while he was at NDC.
The first kid you’re talking about I know personally. We’ve know him for years and he nor his father have anything good to say about Carter. And what they do have to say has nothing to do with his college recruitment.
Another kid that transferred is asleep a floor up and a few rooms over as I type this. In the years of CYO and HSFB I’ve never heard him speak of a coach like he speaks of Carter. He left for reasons unrelated to football but I’m 90% sure that had he stayed he wouldn’t have even played.
OHSFB is better when Bene is where they belong, at an elite level. You have the wrong guy running your program.

I do stand corrected on the French thing .You are correct French is still at Padua but he is leaving. What is the problem with Coach Welo that you have a bone to pick with him? I see kids that have graduated come back numerous times and have nothing but great things to say about him and the staff.

I do stand corrected on the French thing .You are correct French is still at Padua but he is leaving. What is the problem with Coach Welo that you have a bone to pick with him? I see kids that have graduated come back numerous times and have nothing but great things to say about him and the staff.
Name Them. Who are these graduates?

Lots of us on the Benedictine thread have come out and stated our names. Since you are new, I'll state mine again: Dan Kilbane. I have never posted a single thing on yappi, that I would not say to a person face to face, I don't hide behind a screen name.
Schooldownthhill, do you have the cohones to state your name? If not, I'll borrow a chant from our student section during basketball season, "Keep on walking".

No, we are not on the same side. I never claimed to know more than anyone else. My posts are base on my own personal observations. You see the Benedictine football program as some type of Utopia; others see it as one foot in the grave. I take the wait and see attitude. If or when the time to make a coaching change comes, it will happen. I don't root for a particular football coach or player. I'm one of those who believe that the name on the front of the jersey matters 100 times more than the name on the back. I will never bad mouth a coach or a player publicly. I do have my opinions and they stay that, my own.

Well , I guess I will leave this site but before I do I'll say one last thing. I think the kid on the floor above would have played, I did see he played at Twinsburg . You're so JJ was a good player Good night y'all sweet dreams downthehill OUT.