Benedictine 2019

Looks like you Carter haters got your way. Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Good luck Carter , you've have always been a class act in my opinion.

So where do the Bengals look? Is Polo a candidate? Opinions on whether or not he’d make that move if offered?
No ties to Bene but Pete Pappas, DC - St Edward is primed to run a program. Turned down the Westlake job a couple years ago.

Carter was a great person but at the end of the day he didn't win enough. I wish him nothing but success wherever he ends up but I also think this was the right decision for the program

HC candidate...

Benny should consider alum Matt Palumbo. He played for Coach Bossu and was the DL/special teams coach at Hudson during 7 consecutive playoff seasons.

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/...reps&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Benedictine will have a new football coach this coming fall.

Jarritt Goode, a 1995 graduate of the school, has been named coach at his alma mater, the school announced Jan. 17.

Carter Welo, who guided the Bengals for the last three years, didn't have his football contract renewed, according to the school.

“To join the group of coaches that have been at Benedictine is an honor, and I will do my best to carry that tradition in developing not just great players, but great Men of Benedictine,” Goode said in a prepared statement.

“Along with our mother and father, Benedictine has been important to me and my brothers and generations of our family. It is woven into our history.”

In addition to Goode, his older siblings John (1980) and Frank (1981) and nephews Tariq (2002), Wakeem (2005), Najee (2007) and William Cloud (2012) are Benedictine alumni.

Najee Goode is a veteran NFL linebacker, most recently with the Colts, who spent five seasons with the Eagles prior to heading to Indianapolis. He played his college football at West Virginia.

Jarritt Goode was a senior captain and first-team All-Ohio linebacker on the Bengals' 1994 state final four squad that went 10-3. He also played on Augie Bossu's last Bengals team in 1993 that went 6-5 and made the playoffs.

He later went on to be a three-year starter at linebacker and defensive end at Youngstown State and was on the Penguins' 1997 Division I-AA national championship team, coached by Jim Tressel.

Goode was the defensive line coach at his alma mater this past fall and is also Dean of Men at the school.

“I'm really happy that Jarritt Goode is heading up our football program," Benedictine athletic director Marty Hyland said. "When he was a student, and now as a coach, he showed great leadership abilities.”

The Bengals went 13-18 under Welo the last three seasons, including a 4-6 mark this past season.

I double checked that, School, because I had the same thought. Was working out of the area during that stretch, but everything I found had William Cloud at Benedictine through spring 2012.

London Cloud and, more recently Trent Cloud, played at Bedford. You might be thinking of London.

Spoke to a few current students at a CYO basketball game and they said that a number (whatever that means) are not playing because of Welo firing. Parents are not sold on Goode and they felt the position should have been posted to see who might be interested.

Spoke to a few current students at a CYO basketball game and they said that a number (whatever that means) are not playing because of Welo firing. Parents are not sold on Goode and they felt the position should have been posted to see who might be interested.

I’ve been hearing the same. Hopefully it’s not true.

I hope you spoke to those young men and told them to pass along the message to those "not playing"-, stop acting like whiny millennial's. Goode really really wanted the job at his alma matre, it seems, wouldn't he want the best for the team/school/alumni? It seems to me that he will pour his heart and soul into figuring out this thing. Carter never had the alumni support, now you have an alum that lives and breathes Benedictine, and a group of (most likely) spoiled/overly opinionated attention seekers are going to not play....SEE YA LATER, don't let the door hit ya, and rebuild the team that Coach Goode wants.

I am surprised that Benedictine was so secretive about the process. There was no word about the changing of the guard so to speak. I agree the position should have been posted. Can't disagree that Goode bleeds Benny Blue & White. He will definitely be running a tight ship. Anyone have info on who the DC & OC will be?

IMO, there is a certain pride factor that occurs when a student who walked the halls of Benedictine comes back, to teach or to coach. Benedictine is not St. Ignatius, St Ignatius is not St. Edward and St. Edward is not Benedictine. Yes, all three are all boys, catholic high schools, but each has its own deep and rich traditions. I always been in favor of alumni coming back to their old school to coach. Who knows the traditions of a school better than an alumnus? I wish Coach Goode all the best, and I'm sure he has nothing but the best interest of Benedictine at heart.

Last edited:
Puts the team in a better position to make the playoffs. The ncl is tough enough. Nothing wrong having a game like this earlier on.

the point of the tough schedule is that you don't need that many wins to make the playoffs. Hell we were 4-6 and the team was one Ursuline upset from being #8 in the region. Like I said I hated playing in this game and I don't see the upside, low division and usually little to no second levels and if somehow you lose to them its like they won the super bowl. I was ecstatic when the series ended my senior season.

The League is trending significantly in the other direction, regarding competition, no?

We will see. I still think the NCl is very challenging with maybe the exception of Walsh. But with Walsh making a good fire/hire they should also be improving.

Bengals are 6-9 in ncl play the last 3 seasons. 3 of those 6 wins have come against a 3-27 Walsh teams. Until there is at 3 or more league win season from the bengals like in 15’ and previous years. I’m going to stick with it being a tough league still.