D1 State semifinals - 11-6-18

The final match will probably be called the same - the benefit will go to the defense. Push, pull, trip will win over speed, skill, and vision inside the box. Yes I understand they don’t want to give cheap ones away, but if the defense is beaten why do they allow players to trip and push from behind as a defensive tactic? Play better defense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not even the benefit of the doubt, benefit of the doubt is to be given in the 1v1 moment of play, the defender was a full step behind the player with the ball in front of her, there is not even the possibility the defender was playing the ball, that's as blatant a foul you can make. Awful for Twinsburg to not be given their due chance to tie up a state semifinal because of a horrible no call like that! Sometimes I think the strong push of OHSAA to put the onus of game integrity on the fans lately and away from the refs (don't yell at refs or question their calls) leads to a lack of ownership to get it right out there. Doesn't usually matter much...until it matters a bunch.

The final match will probably be called the same - the benefit will go to the defense. Push, pull, trip will win over speed, skill, and vision inside the box. Yes I understand they don’t want to give cheap ones away, but if the defense is beaten why do they allow players to trip and push from behind as a defensive tactic? Play better defense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your daughter plays on the offensive side of field. Possibly if some coaches would stop coaching flops we would have a better game.

This was a foul, missed. My heart goes out to the Twinsburg team, brutal that one call can decide your whole season in the state semis.

There seems to be a question of Strongsville having too many players on the pitch for a good portion of the 2nd half. OHSAA has been made aware of this development.

There seems to be a question of Strongsville having too many players on the pitch for a good portion of the 2nd half. OHSAA has been made aware of this development.

Just saw the photo and some of the discussion on twitter. Looks like Strongsville had 11 field players plus their goalie on the field for at least a portion of the last ten minutes. Doubt OHSAA will do anything about it at this point, but I expect these officials will not be seeing any postseason games any time soon. Certainly not at this level.

How does extra players on the field go unnoticed?

I'm not sure flopping in the box is too much of an issue (In terms of how often it happens). I would say that no calls are too frequent.

From what I can tell, for about 6 and a half minutes (from 11:30 - 5:00 remaining in the game) Strongsville had 12 players on the field. It looks like there was a mixup when they were subbing a keeper on. In addition to the keeper, they brought on a field player and did not bring one off. It looks like they noticed the mistake and corrected it with about 5 minutes remaining, and played the remainder of the game at even strength. I don't think the officials noticed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the officials had noticed, I believe it would have resulted in a yellow card issued to the coach. I feel like I've seen that happen before. Regardless, I think the no call on the tackle from behind in the box was far more egregious. At any rate, not much can be done about it at this point.

Truly a sad situation. This is not the 1st time Strongsville has been caught with too many players on the field. From the video that was posted it clearly shows 12 players on the field for the last 10 minutes of the game. 1-0 game and a definite advantage for the winning team. OHSAA once again puts its head in the sand. There should be some recourse in a situation like this.

Truly a sad situation. This is not the 1st time Strongsville has been caught with too many players on the field. From the video that was posted it clearly shows 12 players on the field for the last 10 minutes of the game. 1-0 game and a definite advantage for the winning team. OHSAA once again puts its head in the sand. There should be some recourse in a situation like this.

So nothing is being done about this?

Nothing. OHSAA talks about ethics and integrity but fails to do the right thing when they should. Very poor leadership by OHSAA.

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_3_the_number_of_players_en_47419.pdf
I am no soccer expert. But after reading the referenced document, I do believe it would be within OHSAA jurisdiction to do something. They are the “competition authority”. What is the point of having a governing body if they aren’t going to govern? Their 1st responsibility should be to the team that was playing fairly. If OHSAA does nothing, what exactly is the incentive to follow the laws of the game?

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_3_the_number_of_players_en_47419.pdf

I am no soccer expert. But after reading the referenced document, I do believe it would be within OHSAA jurisdiction to do something. They are the “competition authority”. What is the point of having a governing body if they aren’t going to govern? Their 1st responsibility should be to the team that was playing fairly. If OHSAA does nothing, what exactly is the incentive to follow the laws of the game?

Not governed under FIFA, governed under NFHS

Protests Are Not Part of High School Soccer (ALL SPORTS) and Will NOT be Considered
Bylaw 8, Section 3(1) of the OHSAA Constitution and Bylaws reads in part, “Protests arising from the decisions of interpretations of the rules by officials during the game will not be considered. Their decisions and interpretations are final.” This means that correctable errors must be corrected during the game and within the time established by playing rules.