Mooney v Ursuline

EastYoungstown

The 60th anniversary of this game sees both teams having very tough seasons.

Mooney comes in at 3-5 with only 1 win against a team from the United States.

Ursuline comes in at 1-7 against a brutal schedule.

Both teams are essentially eliminated from the playoffs.

This is a far cry from the 50th anniversary matchup in 2008 where Ursuline came in at 8-0 and won a state title and Mooney came in at 7-1.

My guess is it's anyone's game to win.

Either way a likely total of 5 wins between both teams has to be close to a record low. YTOWN?

Mooney shouuuldd roll. Only reason they don't is if the kids lost interest with the playoffs out of reach. Then again what am I saying. This is the biggest rivalry in the valley. I say a close hard fought first half with mooney dominating the 2nd half.

The 60th anniversary of this game sees both teams having very tough seasons.

Mooney comes in at 3-5 with only 1 win against a team from the United States.

Ursuline comes in at 1-7 against a brutal schedule.

Both teams are essentially eliminated from the playoffs.

This is a far cry from the 50th anniversary matchup in 2008 where Ursuline came in at 8-0 and won a state title and Mooney came in at 7-1.

My guess is it's anyone's game to win.

Either way a likely total of 5 wins between both teams has to be close to a record low. YTOWN?

Mooney and Ursuline ended up a combined 4-16 in 2001. Mooney went 1-9 while Ursuline went 3-7. Mooney's lone win was a forfeit by Ursuline. It appears Ursuline forfeited 3 other wins from that season.

As for whether or not there was a worse combined record due to play on the field, YTOWN would be better equipped to answer that.

Mooney and Ursuline ended up a combined 4-16 in 2001. Mooney went 1-9 while Ursuline went 3-7. Mooney's lone win was a forfeit by Ursuline. It appears Ursuline forfeited 3 other wins from that season.

As for whether or not there was a worse combined record due to play on the field, YTOWN would be better equipped to answer that.

And that's why I lit the YTOWN signal.

He's always lurking in the shadows.

FYI, and I'm sure YTOWN will agree, no one refers to that 2001 season as 1-9. It's 0-10.

And that's why I lit the YTOWN signal.

He's always lurking in the shadows.

FYI, and I'm sure YTOWN will agree, no one refers to that 2001 season as 1-9. It's 0-10.

Did a little more digging via the database Yappi set up on wiki:

Other than the 2001 campaign, the lowest combined win total for both teams in the same season is 8.

It happened in 1957 with Mooney winning 2 and Ursuline winning 6 and again in 1997 with Mooney winning 5 and Ursuline winning 3.
http://yappi.net/docuwiki/doku.php?id=ursuline_youngstown
http://yappi.net/docuwiki/doku.php?id=cardinal_mooney_youngstown

I hope this can tide you over until YTOWN bestows his definitive HS football knowledge on us all. The person's a genius!

No interest in this game. Those guys at wkbn must be Mooney or Ursuline alums. They broadcast this game every year. There are much better games this weekend.

No interest in this game. Those guys at wkbn must be Mooney or Ursuline alums. They broadcast this game every year. There are much better games this weekend.

Chad is for sure...

It really is pathetic, there are like 4 or 5 really good games that could be broadcast but they pick this stinker because it has been GOTW every year.

I learned a handful of years ago that which games get broadcast by local media are often based on who is paying for the sponsorship and advertisements for that game. It's all about the Benjamins, baby!

Will this be Kemps last two games at Ursuline? What about Fecko? My hunch is that Fecko can stay as long as he wants, he is Buccis handpicked guy and has won. I hope Kemp gets a pass on this year, he's a good guy and I don't blame him for this year.

I learned a handful of years ago that which games get broadcast by local media are often based on who is paying for the sponsorship and advertisements for that game. It's all about the Benjamins, baby!

Sure but with that logic they should be doing Boardman vs Fitch or even Poland vs Hubbard. Actually Boardman-Fitch is on 1240, not sure if the Holy War is on 1390. And 570 doesn't even do HS anymore.

I don’t follow.
This weekend whoever bought the advertising space for this game requested Mooney vs Ursuline, they didn't want Boardman vs Fitch, Poland vs Hubbard or any other game.
That is also how the radio coverage is decided.
But every once in a blue moon they use a fan poll like last week or actually try to pick the best match up contingent on sponsor approval.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I think they try and get the teams on at least once in the year. Mooney and Ursuline have not been on yet unless I'm mistaken but still, this game ? Shame...

Yea Marc Means the announcer for 1240 tweeted a few hours ago its Hubbard @ Poland on 1240 with coverage starting at 6:30.

Ah ok...They clearly don't update their website lol.

Lol I don't get it. It's been about 4 or 5 times this year I've either tuned in or checked their site to find a game only to find the match up changed / has been replaced. Boardman Fitch should get a station. Rivalry aspect and just as big as Hubbard Poland if not bigger.

Lol I don't get it. It's been about 4 or 5 times this year I've either tuned in or checked their site to find a game only to find the match up changed / has been replaced. Boardman Fitch should get a station. Rivalry aspect and just as big as Hubbard Poland if not bigger.

LaBrae/Girard is probably going to be the game of the year in the Mahoning Valley, and I see no radio. I am going to it anyway, so I don't care