Mooney v Ursuline

The 60th anniversary of this game sees both teams having very tough seasons.

Mooney comes in at 3-5 with only 1 win against a team from the United States.

Ursuline comes in at 1-7 against a brutal schedule.

Both teams are essentially eliminated from the playoffs.

This is a far cry from the 50th anniversary matchup in 2008 where Ursuline came in at 8-0 and won a state title and Mooney came in at 7-1.

My guess is it's anyone's game to win.

Either way a likely total of 5 wins between both teams has to be close to a record low. YTOWN?

I was out of town for a few days and didn't take a computer so I just saw this.

To me 5 wins, which is most likely IMO, would be the worst season for the two combined. Mr. Slippery is correct in that officially the 2001 record was 4 wins but Ursuline did win 7 games on the field. I understand an ineligible player ended up playing at garbage time in 4 games but the scores of those games were, 54-0, 54-0, 33-7 and 39-6. The last being the Mooney game.

Other that that as Mr. Slippery pointed out it is 8 wins in 1957 & 97. 1957 was Mooney's first year of varsity football and they didn't have any seniors but they did only win 2 games.

1957 was a fairly interesting year locally. That Ursuline team was coming off the school's first ever 10-0 season. Actually it was their only 10-0 season until the 2008 team went 15-0.

Anyway they were 6-3 but the 3 losses came to teams that compiled a 28-1 record. They lost to 10-0 AP Poll champ Cleveland Benedictine, 9-0 and 5th-ranked in the final AP Poll Youngstown South and 9-1 and 4th-ranked in the final poll Warren Harding. Harding's lone loss was to Massillon and Massillon's lone loss to Benedictine. BTW that 57 Benedictine team was the first private school to win the AP Poll title.

Youngstown South was excellent that year, tons of speed, great backs and strong defense. They gave Campbell it's only loss on the season, a 9-0 shutout, which snapped a 16-game unbeaten streak for Campbell. The Red Devils averaged over 40 PPG in the other 9 games. South had 5 shutouts and gave up 25 points total while scoring 335 in 9 games. That was the City Series champ over the SVC champ in front of a huge crowd at South.

Struthers was also 9-1 that year with the loss to Campbell. The Wildcats 9 wins included a victory over Steubenville.

Good luck to both teams tonight.

GO CARDS!!!!

To me 5 wins, which is most likely IMO, would be the worst season for the two combined. Mr. Slippery is correct in that officially the 2001 record was 4 wins but Ursuline did win 7 games on the field. I understand an ineligible player ended up playing at garbage time in 4 games but the scores of those games were, 54-0, 54-0, 33-7 and 39-6. The last being the Mooney game.

Other that that as Mr. Slippery pointed out it is 8 wins in 1957 & 97. 1957 was Mooney's first year of varsity football and they didn't have any seniors but they did only win 2 games.

1957 was a fairly interesting year locally. That Ursuline team was coming off the school's first ever 10-0 season. Actually it was their only 10-0 season until the 2008 team went 15-0.

Anyway they were 6-3 but the 3 losses came to teams that compiled a 28-1 record. They lost to 10-0 AP Poll champ Cleveland Benedictine, 9-0 and 5th-ranked in the final AP Poll Youngstown South and 9-1 and 4th-ranked in the final poll Warren Harding. Harding's lone loss was to Massillon and Massillon's lone loss to Benedictine. BTW that 57 Benedictine team was the first private school to win the AP Poll title.

Youngstown South was excellent that year, tons of speed, great backs and strong defense. They gave Campbell it's only loss on the season, a 9-0 shutout, which snapped a 16-game unbeaten streak for Campbell. The Red Devils averaged over 40 PPG in the other 9 games. South had 5 shutouts and gave up 25 points total while scoring 335 in 9 games. That was the City Series champ over the SVC champ in front of a huge crowd at South.

Struthers was also 9-1 that year with the loss to Campbell. The Wildcats 9 wins included a victory over Steubenville.

GO CARDS!!!!

Good stuff YTOWN!

Better notes then the game tonight, I think Mooney has little
To no problems with Ursuline

Also of note
In the Vindy 5 games to watch, this game isn't one of them. The other 5 games that have been listed are there.

Who would've think THIS game would fall so far from local ( and state) interest.

Also of note
In the Vindy 5 games to watch, this game isn't one of them. The other 5 games that have been listed are there.

Who would've think THIS game would fall so far from local ( and state) interest.

I saw that. The game is strictly for pride and bragging rights at this point. It is still a huge rivalry but not as much on the line as usual. It may turn out to ba a great game though. We shall see.

GO CARDS!!!!

GO CARDS!!!!

That is fascinating stuff! Love all the backstories. Thank you so much for chiming in!