Teams That Have Produced State Qualifiers in Every Event

Mr. Slippery

I was having this discussion with a fellow poster via PMs, and we were wondering how common or rare it is:

How many teams have produced state qualifiers in every event on the current 17-event meet program. I'd also be curious to know which was the last event of the 17 events in which the team had a qualifier and the year. Extra kudos to any school that has had an All-Ohioan in every event on the current list.

Also, feel free to list the following:
-Any schools that are close and which event(s) are the hold-up
-Any schools that qualified in the 16 events prior to the addition of girls PV and boys 4x200.
-Any events your school qualified in that are no longer on the event list (ex. the 180 yd. low hurdles or the girls 880 yd. medley relay).

The list up to this point (still very much under construction):

Both Genders

Amherst Steele
Brunswick
Canton GlenOak
Cuyahoga Falls Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy
Findlay Liberty-Benton
North Robinson Colonel Crawford
Peninsula Woodridge
Toledo Whitmer
Thomas Worthington
Warsaw River View

Girls Only
Bay Village Bay
Burton Berkshire
Creston Norwayne
Fort Loramie
Fredericktown
Gahanna Lincoln
Huber Heights Wayne
Huron
Lancaster Fisher Catholic
Mason
Mentor
Minster
New Concord John Glenn
Olmsted Falls
Richfield Revere
Sandusky St. Mary CC
Thornville Sheridan
Upper Arlington
Upper Sandusky
Versailles
Wadsworth
West Chester Lakota West (includes qualifiers from the original Lakota HS)

Boys Only
Akron Buchtel
Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
Alliance
Bluffton
Canton Central Catholic
Carrollton
Cedarville
Centerville
Chillicothe Unioto
Cincinnati LaSalle
Cincinnati Sycamore
Cleveland Benedictine
Cleveland Heights
Cleveland St. Ignatius
Clyde
Columbiana
Columbus Grove
Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
Dalton
Dayton Christian
East Canton
Elyria
Euclid
Frankfort Adena
Fremont Ross
Garfield Hts. Trinity
Grandview Heights
Granville
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson
Lakewood St. Edward
Liberty Center
McDonald
Medina
Medina Buckeye
Middletown
Millersburg West Holmes
Napoleon
New London
Oberlin
Orrville
Painesville Harvey
Pataskala Licking Hts.
Pemberville Eastwood
Pepper Pike Orange (school has also been listed as Chagrin Falls Orange or Cleveland Orange in the past)
Pickerington Central
Poland Seminary
Salem
Shadyside
Shelby
Smithville
Solon
Spencerville
Strongsville
Trotwood-Madison
Twinsburg (often listed as "Chamberlin" up until the mid to late '90s)
Uhrichsville Claymont
West Lafayette Ridgewood

Last edited:

The Canton Central Catholic boys have qualified to state in all 17 events that are on the current event list. The 4x200 relay was the last one to produce a qualifier, and that happened in 2016.

Among the old events, Canton CC boys had qualifiers in the 180yd. low hurdles and the 1 mile run (sorry, but I can't bring myself to consider the 1 mile/1600 and 2 mile/3200 to be the same event, yet I can do it for the other running events when they converted from yards to meters).

As for the Canton CC girls, they're still waiting for someone to get over the hurdles quickly and someone to throw things really far. Further inquiry indicates they're also waiting for a girls 4x100 to qualify. This is their 17th time getting a girls 4x800 to state.

Last edited:
The Medina boys have gone to the state meet in every event, although we have to go back to 1988 to pick up the 100. This year we are going in six events:
4 x 800, 1600, 800, 4 x 800, discus, and long jump. This is the ninth time since 2006 that the 4 x 800 is going.

Our girls are going in eight events: 4 x 800, 1600, 800, 3200, 4 x 400, long jump, shot put, and discus. Our girls have gone to the state meet in every event except for the 100 and possibly the 200. The 4 x 800 has been to the state meet at least ten times (with most of those years getting on the podium).

It would be a lot of work to go back and look all of this up. I'm not sure about this but I would say that Mason has had a lot of qualifiers to State in many events. Glenville and Woodridge are 2 others that probably have had a lot of State qualifiers over the years.

It would be a lot of work to go back and look all of this up. I'm not sure about this but I would say that Mason has had a lot of qualifiers to State in many events. Glenville and Woodridge are 2 others that probably have had a lot of State qualifiers over the years.

It would be doable except the pre-2001 state results online don't include prelims and non-placers. Even then, it would take awhile because you have about 800 schools for which to compile data. At this point, you can only say who may have done it and who hasn't done it based on the fact that boys 4x200 and girls PV have only been around for about 12-14 years. We could use those results to establish a 1st cut.

It would be doable except the pre-2001 state results online don't include prelims and non-placers. Even then, it would take awhile because you have about 800 schools for which to compile data. At this point, you can only say who may have done it and who hasn't done it based on the fact that boys 4x200 and girls PV have only been around for about 12-14 years. We could use those results to establish a 1st cut.

I doubt that about Glenville. I could be wrong, but I don't think Glenville has produced any real great distance runner. I would say the teams that are most likely to have a history of qualifying to states are the balanced ones. Not sure how many, if any, throwers or short sprinters Woodridge has gotten to states either. I would say SVSM would be among the most solid pick, they represent well every year in both distance and sprints. They've put up some good jumpers over the years. Only their throwers and hurdlers leave something to be desired, but I would not be shocked If they have had at least one state qualifier in any of those events in the last 40 years

I'll bet East Tech has from Jesse Owens to Ricky Pittman.....Minster's girls has qualified a 4X800 every year they changed from the Medely relay in 1987. At Gilmour our boys have covered every event....our girls are missing the Shot, Discus and high jump.

Last edited:
Claymont boys have had a state qualifier in every event pre boys 4x200. I'm unsure if Claymont's 4x200 has made State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granville High School has had boys qualifiers in all 17 events, and girls in all but the pole vault, including All-Ohio athleltes in all but the girls pole vault.

I'll beat East Tech has from Jesse Owens to Ricky Pittman.....Minster's girls has qualified a 4X800 every year they changed from the Medely relay in 1987. At Gilmour our boys have covered every event....our girls are missing the Shot, Discus and high jump.

Minster girls have qualified in everything; including defunct events like the medley relay and the 80yd. low hurdles. They probably would've qualified in the softball toss if that event had ever made it into the postseason tournament program. :)

I'm going to bet McDonald boys and girls have qualified in everything except the pole vault, but I don't know for sure.

The East Canton boys have qualified in every event. If nothing else, Joe Bradley won the 100, 200, and 400 in '81. Josh Conrad was 2nd in the 800 last year and was All-Ohio in the 1600 his freshman year. Nick Dysle was All-Ohio in the 3200 a couple times in the mid '00s. All 4 of their relays qualified this year as well as entrants in both hurdle events, and the LJ and HJ. Cody Marshall won the PV in 2010. Chane Cline won the shot put in '96. Freshly crowned NCAA DII champ Duke Taylor was 2nd in the discus in 2012.

The East Canton girls may have also accomplished this feat; including the pole vault. Only event I can't find for them so far is LJ, but they may have had a qualifier pre-2001 who didn't score. I'd kill to get my hands on all the prelim results pre-2001.

The St. Thomas Aquinas boys have definitely qualified in every event except maybe the 300m hurdles. Their school record in that event is above 40 seconds which means it's possible but somewhat unlikely.

The St. Thomas Aquinas girls have definitely qualified in every event except maybe the throwing events. Their school records in the girls throws make it less likely that they had a state qualifier, but it might have happened.

Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
Saving us some research, this site shows state championships, by school, by event.

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Track-Field/AllTimeStateBoysTFChampionsEvent.pdf

The first one that jumps out is Akron Buchtel with champions in 13 of the 17 events.

Cleveland East Tech also has 13 events (counting the Discus in 1920). Glenville has 14 events (1600 in '26).

Dayton Jefferson 13 events. I don't see any boys teams with more than 13 different events.

On the girls side I see Collingwood with 11, Beaumont with 13, Minster with 12.

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Track-Field/AllTimeStateGirlsTFChampionsEvent.pdf

Kevin L, nice find. I would like to see the same for qualifiers. I'm not surprised by the large number of Glenville championships. There's such a rich history at that school. I'm perhaps a little surprised that Mason hasn't had more championships but, in reality, the population of that 'burb hasn't really exploded until the last 20 to 25 years. It was once just a little Podunk area. It's hard to believe that it is now the largest high school in Ohio.

I doubt that about Glenville. I could be wrong, but I don't think Glenville has produced any real great distance runner.

As Kevin L pointed out, these was a 1600 champion, albeit was years ago. I still wouldn't be surprised if Glenville has had a qualifier in every event throughout the history of the school. In recent history I would doubt that they've had really good distance runners but as recently as 2010, '11, and the late 2000s, there were some good 800 runners and 4x8 teams in the State meet.

As an aside, does anybody remember Glenville's Quincy Downing? He graduated in 2011 or 2012 and ended up running at LSU. He is insanely talented and ran everything from 60 meter indoor hurdles all the way up to the 3200. In one State meet he ran on the 4x2 team that won the championship, was on the 4x1 team that took 3rd, and he placed 4th in the 800. At some point in HS he went under 1:52 in the 800. And he was a 4:30ish 1600 guy. He may have also run the 300 hurdles at some point in the State meet. At LSU he was primarily a 400, 400H, and 800 runner. He graduated, I think, in 2015 and is one of the best runners that LSU has ever seen. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. I was just thinking about him and thought it would be fun to figure out what individual athletes have run in the most events at the State meets throughout their HS careers.

Last edited:
Kevin L, nice find. I would like to see the same for qualifiers. I'm not surprised by the large number of Glenville championships. There's such a rich history at that school. I'm perhaps a little surprised that Mason hasn't had more championships but, in reality, the population of that 'burb hasn't really exploded until the last 20 to 25 years. It was once just a little Podunk area. It's hard to believe that it is now the largest high school in Ohio.

As Kevin L pointed out, these was a 1600 champion, albeit was years ago. I still wouldn't be surprised if Glenville has had a qualifier in every event throughout the history of the school. In recent history I would doubt that they've had really good distance runners but as recently as 2010, '11, and the late 2000s, there were some good 800 runners and 4x8 teams in the State meet.

As an aside, does anybody remember Glenville's Quincy Downing? He graduated in 2011 or 2012 and ended up running at LSU. He is insanely talented and ran a thing from 60 meter indoor hurdles all the way up to the 3200. In one State meet he ran on the 4x2 team that won the championship, was on the 4x1 team that took 3rd, and he placed 4th in the 800. At some point in HS he went under 1:52 in the 800. And he was a 4:30ish 1600 guy. He may have also run the 300 hurdles at some point in the State meet. At LSU he was primarily a 400, 400H, and 800 runner. He graduated, I think, in 2015 and is one of the best runners that LSU has ever seen. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. I was just thinking about him and thought it would be fun to figure out what individual athletes have run in the most events at the State meets throughout their HS careers.

I'd venture a guess that the 3200 would be the only event in which Glenville has not qualified.

The same might be true of a school like Canton McKinley. I combed all the results but never found a 3200m guy or a 4x800 that placed for them. There are a few years when they might have qualified in those events. I'll have to get my hands on some newspaper microfilm to check.

Last edited:
This has been a fascinating trip down memory lane. Also gives us an idea on how scattered some data is for this kind of discussion. I had to dig thru everything I could find and still think I am missing people from my alma mater.

Out of the GCC (Greater Cleveland Conference), I'm guessing quite a few have done it (or are very close) on the boys side.

Starcatcher already mentioned Medina doing it.

I'm almost positive Solon has also done it.

I'm guessing Elyria has done it (distance is what makes me wonder, but it's been a huge school for the past 100 years, so I'm assuming they have produced at least one 1,600 and 3,200 runner over the years). Same can probably be said for Shaker and maybe Euclid.

I'm not sure about Brunswick, and that's only because I'm not sure on the relays, but I'm certain they have had somebody in every individual event within the past 20 years.

Strongsville is close, they may be missing pole vault, 100 and 4X200 (and the 4X200 team this year looked like a lock, but DNF at regional).

Mentor is the one that is stumping me, but I would assume they are close since it was the largest school in the state for about 30 years from the 70s to the mid 2000s.

It's a beast of a track and field league.

Other Cleveland area schools that have likely done it are Berea (especially if you combine Midpark, but I'm guessing they have done it on their own), St. Ignatius and Wadsworth. Amherst too, and they were mentioned.

Glenville did have some very good distance runners in the 50's and 60's..but not since the 2 mile was added in the late 60's

Last edited:
running thru since 800 relay was added for the boys lasalle is damn close. Missing 400 relay and long jump.

After more digging I have to think Princeton is close. I can not find a thrower but the records only show placers once we get into the 90's and back. Also 1600 and 3200.

Last edited:
If you go back to just 2012 and then all the way up to and including this year's meet (this year added shot put, discus, and 3200), Thomas Worthington boys' team has qualified an athlete in every event (including all relays) except pole vault and 110H. TWHS record holder in pole vault was 14'6" from 2010, but that person got 9th at the Regional with a 14'0" jump and did not qualify. A quick internet search didn't find any other pole vaulters from TWHS or just back when it was Worthington High School, but there could have been one that I just can't find. Also can't find a 110H guy with a quick search.

running thru since 800 relay was added for the boys lasalle is damn close. Missing 400 relay and long jump.

La Salle had someone score in the long jump in 2001.

http://ohsaa.org/sports/tf/2001/results01.htm

Thank you Lancer. I knew if I missed something you would let me know.

P.S. it is just not the same with out you running the south west ohio track coaches association website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solon Boys the last 10 years (2008-2017), very blessed with great athletes:

1. 100M (2012 state champ; 2013 runner-up; 2014 state champ)
2. 200M (2011 qualifier; 2012 4th; 2014 5th)
3. 400M (2009 4th)
4. 800M (2015 qualifier)
5. 1600M (2010 8th; 2013 3rd; 2014 3rd; 2015 4th)
6. 3200M (2009 qualifier; 2015 qualifier; 2016 qualifier)
7. 110H (2009 qualifier; 2012 qualifier)
8. 300H (2016 state champ)
9. 4x100M (2012 7th; 2013 qualifier; 2014 5th)
10. 4x200M (2017 qualifier)
11. 4x400M (2009 qualifier; 2016 qualifier)
12. 4x800M (2011 qualifier; 2013 4th; 2017 3rd)
13. SP (2011 5th; 2015 state runner-up; 2016 state runner-up)
14. D (2009 6th; 2010 3rd; 2011 state champ; 2012 5th; 2017 qualifier)
15. PV (2008 3rd; 2009 3rd; 2011 8th; 2013 4th; 2013 qualifier)
16. HJ (2010 state runner-up; 2016 qualifier)
17. LJ (2013 8th)

Trinity's Boys Team have had qualifiers in every event. The high jump is the only event that we have not had multiple qualifiers.

Washington CH Girls have qualified in every event except for the girls 3200.

Washington CH Boys have qualified in every event except for 3200

Wayne Girls have qualified in every event.

Wayne boys have qualified in everything except 1600 and 3200 (unless they qualified prior to the mid 1970s)