Teams That Have Produced State Qualifiers in Every Event

I doubt that about Glenville. I could be wrong, but I don't think Glenville has produced any real great distance runner. I would say the teams that are most likely to have a history of qualifying to states are the balanced ones. Not sure how many, if any, throwers or short sprinters Woodridge has gotten to states either. I would say SVSM would be among the most solid pick, they represent well every year in both distance and sprints. They've put up some good jumpers over the years. Only their throwers and hurdlers leave something to be desired, but I would not be shocked If they have had at least one state qualifier in any of those events in the last 40 years

IIRC, Doran Grant won the 110H in 2011.

Grenville did have some very good distance runners in the 50's and 60's..but not since the 2 mile was added in the late 60's

As a matter of fact, Glenville had a 2-miler earn All-Ohio the very first year of the event: James Saunders, 1966.

I will check out the Tarblooders' status some more in the coming days.

Last edited:
If you go back to just 2012 and then all the way up to and including this year's meet (this year added shot put, discus, and 3200), Thomas Worthington boys' team has qualified an athlete in every event (including all relays) except pole vault and 110H. TWHS record holder in pole vault was 14'6" from 2010, but that person got 9th at the Regional with a 14'0" jump and did not qualify. A quick internet search didn't find any other pole vaulters from TWHS or just back when it was Worthington High School, but there could have been one that I just can't find. Also can't find a 110H guy with a quick search.

I found you a pole vaulter who placed in 1965 - Jack Swearingen. I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for a high hurdler.

For Glenville boys, I have found everything but a pole vaulter. I thought I found one from the old days, but I can't find one now.

For Bluffton boys, I have found everything but a 3200m runner.

For both Columbus East and East Cleveland Shaw boys, I found everything but a 4x800 relay and a 3200m runner.

For Massillon Perry boys, I'm still hunting for a 4x100 relay.

Another school currently on my radar is Columbus Academy. They've had quite a bit of success over the past 40 years.

Last edited:
Kenston Boys are close. We're missing the 100 and Long Jump.

Great programs on this list. Solon's recent work is admirable and impressive.

Whats the status of SVSM?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hard to know without full preliminary results prior to 2001. Pole vault might be a sticking point for the Irish.

If anybody knows, feel free to chime in.

UPDATE: Added McDonald boys, Oberlin boys, Orrville boys, and Poland Seminary boys to the list.

Columbus Academy boys need a pole vaulter, Pemberville Eastwood boys need a 400m runner, and Yellow Springs boys need a shot putter. They might have them, but if they didn't place, I don't know about them.

Yes, I am crazy enough that I might start bulldozing my way through all of the OHSAA's online materials to compile a complete list for every school. The greatest difficulty there will be figuring out which present-day schools can claim the achievements of the defunct schools on the list (ex. rural schools that consolidated) and which defunct schools' achievements can't be forwarded (ex. CAPE, Cleveland West Tech, etc.)

Last edited:
Canal Winchester girls have had a state qualifier in every event except the 800m. They have placed top 8 in every event except for the 800m, 1600m (best is 14th place), 1600m relay (best is 9th place), and pole vault (best is 10th place).

Canal Winchester boys have had a state qualifier in every event except the 800m, 400m relay, and 3200m relay. They have placed top 5 in every event except for the three I listed above.

Started to look at the girls' stuff since there are significantly less years to comb:

249 different schools have qualified a girl in the pole vault. Consider that the first cut for schools to make it in all 17 events.

UPDATE: Cross-referencing what information we do have on the 300H against all the pole vault qualifiers reduces the number to 151. Will check against the 4x800 next.

UPDATE II: There could be more, but 96 girls teams have definitely qualified in the PV, 300H, and 4x800.

The next cut will be the 300m hurdles, and the 3rd cut will be the 4x800 relay. It won't be perfect due to the incomplete nature of the info we're working with right now. We'll see who's left standing after those 2 events and go from there.

Now that the OHSAA is not so busy with competitive balance stuff pertaining to winter sports (basketball and wrestling numbers were just released today), I shall attempt to contact them and find out if they even have any state meet prelim results from before 2001.

Does anyone know if the Dispatch or any other newspaper used to print all the prelim results? I'd give a lot to have access to those results as I'm also trying to attach performances and overall placings to the complete list of state qualifiers my friends and I compiled for my school.

Last edited:
I think Liberty Benton girls might have gotten all events covered as they have been very deep team for many years.

Findlay boys might have all but 4x200 as Tyler Brown qualified in 4 himself his sr. year.

Off Topic Question:
Speaking of OSSHA releasing divisions for basketball and wrestling does anyone have any idea why they are delaying releasing the Swim divisions for 2 months? It does not fall under competitive balance formula so it should be easy to calculate from straight enrollment numbers. Could they be looking at adding another division? It is not close to the 250 cut-off so I don't thing that would be it.

I think Liberty Benton girls might have gotten all events covered as they have been very deep team for many years.

Findlay boys might have all but 4x200 as Tyler Brown qualified in 4 himself his sr. year.

Off Topic Question:
Speaking of OSSHA releasing divisions for basketball and wrestling does anyone have any idea why they are delaying releasing the Swim divisions for 2 months? It does not fall under competitive balance formula so it should be easy to calculate from straight enrollment numbers. Could they be looking at adding another division? It is not close to the 250 cut-off so I don't thing that would be it.

I don't know why swimming would not have come out yet unless they're still trying to make sure they know exactly how many teams there were in 2016-2017 before they create divisional assignments. Also, there may be some other more pressing issues related to swimming right now with regards to who will be the state swim meet manager in the future...

I don't know why swimming would not have come out yet unless they're still trying to make sure they know exactly how many teams there were in 2016-2017 before they create divisional assignments. Also, there may be some other more pressing issues related to swimming right now with regards to who will be the state swim meet manager in the future...

You are probably right but they only had since February to count how many teams had 7 swimmers at sectionals. :help:

They also delayed announcing bowling 2 months so maybe they were just too busy with basketball that the "minor" sports got pushed to the back. Thanks for the response.

If you go back to just 2012 and then all the way up to and including this year's meet (this year added shot put, discus, and 3200), Thomas Worthington boys' team has qualified an athlete in every event (including all relays) except pole vault and 110H. TWHS record holder in pole vault was 14'6" from 2010, but that person got 9th at the Regional with a 14'0" jump and did not qualify. A quick internet search didn't find any other pole vaulters from TWHS or just back when it was Worthington High School, but there could have been one that I just can't find. Also can't find a 110H guy with a quick search.

UPDATE: I'm still on the case.

I found a state placer from Worthington HS in the 120 yd. high hurdlers among the 1943 Class B results. Thus, TWHS boys have completed the set. I'm still plowing through girls results with just the 2 throws and 2 regular jumps remaining. TWHS girls and 23 other girls teams have qualfied in all 13 events that I've gone through so far. I'm tired of saying it, but the available info is incomplete, so there could be more schools that are still "alive" through the 13 events I've checked so far. An e-mail sent to the OHSAA regarding the existence of state prelim results yielded no response. Maybe they're all on vacation...:shrug:

I combed my entire county's history from 1957-present and found only 1 girls team (GlenOak) and 4 boys teams (Alliance, Canton CC, East Canton, GlenOak) that have completed the set. A couple boys teams and 2 girls team are just 1 event short (300H, 4x100, 200, and long jump, respectively). A few more schools still have a shot as I work back from 1957. The local papers did a good job of listing all the qualifiers in the paper the day before and day of the state meet.

Alright, sports fans!

I've combed everything the OHSAA has on their website along with materials I found in my local newspapers regarding girls track and field. I have not bulldozed my way through all the boys' materials yet. I may save that for July. :)

There are the 13 girls programs that have definitely qualified in all 17 events on the current event schedule:
Bay Village Bay
Canton GlenOak
Creston Norwayne
Fredericktown
Huber Hts. Wayne
Mason
Minster
North Robinson Colonel Crawford
Olmsted Falls
Peninsula Woodridge
Upper Sandusky
Wadsworth
Thomas Worthington

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that Byesville Meadowbrook and Upper Arlington are both a shot putter away from a complete set.

Eventually, I will assemble a master chart, so that I can more easily tell you exactly which event(s) a school is missing. If you know of schools that may have a qualifier in an event for which I didn't find one, just PM me (if my inbox gets too full, keep trying. Ha ha).

I looked as much as I want to. Versailles Boys have every event with the exception of Long Jump. I am about 80% confident that they have sent a LJer to state (the school record is 22'01 in 1969), but no way to be sure.

Did a quick check. Versailles girls have had All-Ohioans in every event. (top 8)

I looked as much as I want to. Versailles Boys have every event with the exception of Long Jump. I am about 80% confident that they have sent a LJer to state (the school record is 22'01 in 1969), but no way to be sure.

Did a quick check. Versailles girls have had All-Ohioans in every event. (top 8)

I was never able to find a 100yd/100m dash qualifier from Versailles. It could've been a recording error on my part. Do you know what year(s) a Lady Tiger would've qualified in the 100?

EDIT: I found a 100m qualifier from 2002. Not sure how I didn't get that recorded. Add the Versailles Lady Tigers to the list.

I have yet to get much into the boys' stuff aside from spot checking a few teams that I suspected had made it in all 17 events.

Last edited:
Girls teams that have definitely made it in all events but the pole vault:

Amherst Steele
Burton Berkshire
Cleveland Heights
Columbus School for Girls
Euclid
Gates Mills Hawken
Granville
Kettering Archbishop Alter
Sandusky St. Mary CC
Shaker Heights
Solon
Toledo Central Catholic
Twinsburg (school was known as "Chamberlin" until the mid to late '90s)

Last edited:
Gilmour' boys are missing a 120/110 hurdler. I, thought we had one in 70-71 but I can't find the state prelims. Our girl's are missing both throws.

Incidentally, the data available on the OHSAA's website boils down to 820 different schools that have qualified a girl to the state track meet. That includes defunct schools (ex. CAPE, Columbus Bishop Wehrle, Toledo DeVilbiss, etc.) and schools that were later split into multiple schools (ex. Dublin, Hilliard, Lakota, etc.) or vice versa (ex. Fairmont East and Fairmont West).

If and when the boys data is examined, the number is likely to be even higher since the boys state track meet preceded the era of school consolidations.

I just noticed a quirk. For my Alma Mater (anderson) they have Anderson Township and Cincinnati Anderson.

You'll find a few of those instances on that page where schools go by different names. Another example is North Canton Hoover. They have a few state titles listed under just "Hoover."

My buddy found that our HS was credited with a state champ in the HJ from 1914. However, the boy was from Canton Central, not Canton Central Catholic. My buddy e-mailed Tim Stried at the OHSAA and eventually got it corrected. He explained that the boy couldn't be from our school anyway since our school didn't exist in 1914.

Believe it or not, I'm still hacking away at this project. I found a large amount of district/regional meet results online from different portions of the state and am currently bulldozing my way through both boys and girls results from the NE. Because of going through all the past state placers on the girls' side first, I'm much farther along on that side of the gender line. I'm not concerned with which years, how many times, and names of athletes who qualified for state. The only question I'm fixing to answer is:

Has a school qualified in a particular event or not?

We should try to make a community project of this. We should put on record here on yappi a spreadsheet of all the events each school has qualified in. I would love to help if theres anything I could do...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Added CVCA girls to the list teams that have qualified in all 17 events. Some others are close. 3 more girls teams can claim qualification in all events except the pole vault: Cleveland Hts, Shaker Hts, and Solon.

Still plenty of district/regional results left to examine.

Girls teams that have definitely made it in all but 1 event and which event they're missing:

Amherst Steele - PV
Bellaire St. John - HJ
Bluffton - LJ
Burton Berkshire - PV
Byesville Meadowbrook - SP
Canal Winchester - 800
Chesterland West Geauga - Discus
Cleveland Heights - PV
Columbus School for Girls - PV
Findlay Liberty-Benton - 400
Fort Loramie - Discus
Gahanna Lincoln - 1600
Gates Mills Hawken - PV
Granville - PV
Kettering Archbishop Alter - PV
Lancaster Fisher Catholic - 400
Maria Stein Marion Local - 1600
Millersburg West Holmes - HJ
New Concord John Glenn - 4x800
Shaker Heights - PV
Solon - PV
Spencerville - LJ
Toledo Central Catholic - PV
Upper Arlington - SP
Washington Court House Washington - 3200

If I forward Dublin HS's performances to Coffman, they are only missing a 100H.

East Canton girls have yet to have that Long Jumper, but have all other events covered at the State Meet.

Girls teams that have definitely made it in all but 1 event and which event they're missing:

Amherst Steele - PV
Bellaire St. John - HJ
Bluffton - LJ
Burton Berkshire - PV
Byesville Meadowbrook - SP
Canal Winchester - 800
Chesterland West Geauga - Discus
Cleveland Heights - PV
Columbus School for Girls - PV
Findlay Liberty-Benton - 400
Fort Loramie - Discus
Gahanna Lincoln - 1600
Gates Mills Hawken - PV
Granville - PV
Kettering Archbishop Alter - PV
Lancaster Fisher Catholic - 400
Maria Stein Marion Local - 1600
Millersburg West Holmes - HJ
New Concord John Glenn - 4x800
Shaker Heights - PV
Solon - PV
Spencerville - LJ
Toledo Central Catholic - PV
Upper Arlington - SP
Washington Court House Washington - 3200

If I forward Dublin HS's performances to Coffman, they are only missing a 100H.

We are definitely missing the 100H. Our boys are missing the long jump.

Add Richfield Revere girls to the list of teams who have made it in all 17 events.
Add Upper Arlington girls to the list of teams who have made it in all 17 events.

If any other teams make it onto the list today, I'll add them to this post.

Last edited: