Teams That Have Produced State Qualifiers in Every Event

I thought I'd take a crack at this for Lancaster. We have lists for State Champs and All-Ohio Guys... State Champs cover 10 events, All-Ohio guys pick up two more. Left to cover are 110HH, 300IH (have a 220LH State Champ from 1925), 4x1, 4x2 and 4x4.

Where are you guys coming up with lists of State qualifiers?

I thought I'd take a crack at this for Lancaster. We have lists for State Champs and All-Ohio Guys... State Champs cover 10 events, All-Ohio guys pick up two more. Left to cover are 110HH, 300IH (have a 220LH State Champ from 1925), 4x1, 4x2 and 4x4.

Where are you guys coming up with lists of State qualifiers?

The state results on the OHSAA's website plus a large amount of pre-2001 regional meet results that I found and downloaded via a trial membership on an online newspaper archive. The Eagle Gazette is 1 of the newspapers on the online archive that was updated through the present day. I have still to go through much of what I downloaded last summer.

With literally hundreds of newspaper articles and results summaries still to comb, add Thornville Sheridan and Warsaw River View girls to the list. River View boys qualify a thrower in both events in 1985 to complete the set and move that school onto the "both genders" list. New Concord John Glenn girls are in with a 4x8 qualifying in 1990.

Chillicothe Unioto and Napoleon Boys are in. Liberty Center boys are in. Trotwood-Madison boys are in. Fort Loramie girls are in. Spencerville boys are in.

The hardest part of the pre-regional era is figuring out exactly how many qualifiers each district sent each year in each class. Finding Central and SW District results via online newspaper archives has been no picnic either.

Last edited:
It's time to resurrect this thread from the depths. I've already combed the girls state qualifiers for this year and, thanks to a female pole vaulter, I can add Amherst Steele to the list of schools that have qualified in all events for BOTH boys and girls. Additionally, Bluffton (3200), Grandview Hts (4x400), Shelby (4x100), and Strongsville (100 & 200) have joined the boys list.

Last edited:
Alas my hurdler got hurt and missed five weeks of training. She was 7th in the regional final for the 100H. So the Coffman girls have not gotten all events covered. Because of this thread I was inspired to compile our complete history of state meet qualifiers. I think we have them all. Had to spend a bunch of time with microfilm. We did notice that we had a girl qualify in 1976 and 1977 in the 80 hurdles.

Alas my hurdler got hurt and missed five weeks of training. She was 7th in the regional final for the 100H. So the Coffman girls have not gotten all events covered. Because of this thread I was inspired to compile our complete history of state meet qualifiers. I think we have them all. Had to spend a bunch of time with microfilm. We did notice that we had a girl qualify in 1976 and 1977 in the 80 hurdles.

I knew you were without a 100 Hurdler. My records also show I'm still without a long jumper for your girls, but I do not have the full compliment of regional results in my files, especially from Region 3. I take it Coffman has had a girl qualify to state in the long jump. If so, when did that occur? I also have the boys lacking state qualifiers in those same 2 events. I show the original Dublin HS with a boy qualifier in the LJ. Did all of the original Dublin HS's history get passed on to Coffman, or did Coffman start from scratch when Scioto opened? :help:

You're a lightweight :).

I've got all our state qualifiers - wish to heaven I knew how all of them performed and placed at state. It doesn't take that long if you know the dates of the regional and/or the state meet. Our local papers always did good lists of all the area's qualifiers the day before the state meet.

If you happen upon any complete state prelim results during your expedition, please let me know. I'm dying to fill in the blanks on some people who did not make it to finals.

I also have lists of all of our sectional/district champions, district/regional champions, All-Ohioans (a.k.a. state scorers), State placers sorted by number of medals earned, and I'm currently assembling a list of all of our district/regional qualifiers with about 10-15 years left to check. I may get that list completed with names and events, but I have no chance of tracking down all of their performances.

Why that district/regional qualifier list, you ask? We have certain events in which we're not traditionally strong, so if an athlete qualifies to regionals in that event, I'd like to be able to tell him or her how long it has been since we last qualified anyone in that particular event. It could motivate some kids to help us improve in those events to make us a more complete team or at least a better dual meet team.

We never had anyone qualify in any of the unusual events that were originally part of the girls meet program, but we had a few boys excel at the 180yd low hurdles back in the day. We should've been great at the 880 medley relay. We had 2 excellent girls in the 220/440, but it would appear we didn't pursue that event too much.

Incidentally, the fairly large public school in my town has only seen its mile/1600 record improved ONCE IN THE PAST 100 YEARS! A boy ran a 4:38.xx mile in 1916, the record was lowered to 4:33.9 at the '65 sectional meet, and it hasn't improved since, not even at the shorter 1600m distance! Additionally, my county's shot put record has only been improved once in the past 50 years! The kid who set it in the late '60s ended up being a Pro Football Hall of Famer, Dan Dierdorf.

Last edited:
I am a lightweight. Only about 12 hours worth of library time. I have not found anything in the way of complete prelim results. For some of our non-placers at the state meet we had something written down, but otherwise there was not much. But if I come across any I will let you know. I admire the dedication you show.

I am trying to find a good way to store all of the results beyond my current method, which is a folder with complete results year by year. We have sketchy complete results before 2009 for track, but all of the results for XC back to 1980. The server where I have my big database and do my analytical work is going away. So I am looking at other options.

Coincidentally I was at my 30th college reunion at Oberlin this weekend and I saw that our 1936 record for the long jump (23-9) was still standing. The same guy also has a 220 dash record faster than our 200 record. (He was second in the All Ohio to Jesse Owens.)

Hey, Mr Slippery, do you by any chance have any research on which and how many events Coventry has qualified to states in? I only have any knowledge of our state qualifiers from the Coach Savage era (2012-today) + Ashley Kaltwasser (2006), and Marie Skello (late 80's).

I do not know this for a fact, but I believe in 1969 Versailles Boys did have a long jumper at state. My father was head coach there then, and though I was only 7, I tagged along with him to all the meets. His name was Lawson Nichol. I looked at the results from state that year but they only listed top 6 finishers. If I remember correctly, he had a bad day that day and did not get on the podium. I will try and talk to some Versailles people to confirm this.

I do not know this for a fact, but I believe in 1969 Versailles Boys did have a long jumper at state. My father was head coach there then, and though I was only 7, I tagged along with him to all the meets. His name was Lawson Nichol. I looked at the results from state that year but they only listed top 6 finishers. If I remember correctly, he had a bad day that day and did not get on the podium. I will try and talk to some Versailles people to confirm this.

I happen to have the SW District/Regional results from back then but hadn't had a chance to look at them before now.

Yes, Nickel was 3rd in the long jump at the 1969 Class A Regional Meet. I think the issue I had previously was with the girls, and I found one that I missed earlier.

For the Versailles boys, the only thing I don't have is a 100m qualifier.

Hey, Mr Slippery, do you by any chance have any research on which and how many events Coventry has qualified to states in? I only have any knowledge of our state qualifiers from the Coach Savage era (2012-today) + Ashley Kaltwasser (2006), and Marie Skello (late 80's).

Here's what I have on Coventry so far, but I can't tell you right now which years I've checked and which years I haven't checked:

Girls:
100H
300H
Long Jump

Boys:
110H
300H
4x100
4x200
High Jump
Long Jump
Shot Put
Discus

Heath’s boys have produced All-Ohioans in every event but the discus. With a little luck, that box will be checked early Saturday.

I'm still toiling away at this. Thanks to their efforts during this postseason, the following teams are new additions to the club:

GIRLS
Burton Berkshire
Gahanna Lincoln
Huron
Sandusky St. Mary CC

BOYS
Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
Carrollton
Cedarville
Cincinnati LaSalle
Cincinnati Sycamore
Columbus Grove
Dalton
Frankfort Adena
Hilliard Darby
Pataskala Licking Hts.
West Lafayette Ridgewood

I still have many years worth of regional results to check.

I have state meet programs going back to 1960, sixty years of them, and every one lists the state meet qualifiers. This seems simpler than checking regional results or before 1965 district results.

I have state meet programs going back to 1960, sixty years of them, and every one lists the state meet qualifiers. This seems simpler than checking regional results or before 1965 district results.
This is true.

However, I don't have all of those state meet programs, so I make do with what's available to me. Regardless, I still need to look at some of those regional results to fill in some other blanks.

I have every district/regional mark that made state from my alma mater except one: 2000 DII boys discus. Canton CC had a boy place 4th at the Lexington Regional, but his qualifying mark has not yet been found. Would you happen to know what Dan Minocchi's seed mark was for the 2000 DII boys state discus? He didn't throw the discus too well at state, but I doubt he cared since he won the shot put in what was a new Stark County and DII state record throw of 61-9.75.

Ask and you shall receive, knock and the door will be opened for you, my friend. State qualifiers in the discus from 2000 attached.

Attachments

• Scan_0078.pdf
    484.5 KB · Views: 22
La Salle needed the 4 x 100 relay to complete the 17 events, and lo and behold they won the 4 x 100 relay in their first ever appearance.

Wadsworth Boys are fairly close. I believe they need 400, 3200, 4x100, and SP. The 400 could be taken care of the next year or two.

On the original list of La Salle's state qualifiers, I was using some events run in yards.as the first time qualifiers, I have removed those events as being the first time: Two mile in 1970, One mile in 1971, and mile relay in 1975. I consider those events as different from today's metric events. Those yard events were substituted by the 3200m in 1985, the 1600m in 1987, and the 4 x 400 relay in 2011.

Kenston qualified our first long jumper this season. He's only a sophomore and also ran 11.11 FAT 100. The only event left for us, on the boys side, is the 100. Here's hoping he can put it together. Hats off to prior coach Frank Gibas for stringing together some amazing seasons.