NCAA Tournament Thread

He's actually won his FF games, and when he loses his teams don't get blasted.

Your changing script. Losing close games is not winning titles. You said winning titles is what counts. If losing close was the case UC had a great year because they lost a lot of close games.

I guess I see it differently. Michigan State in Basketball and Football is a different animal in terms of recruiting against the top programs yet they compete at a high level. They get some great talent but both programs are built more on development. Look at all the players who stay four years with Izzo because of who they are. Yet he develops good talent as good or better than the premier programs who develop great talent. I like looking at players like Draymond Green. Work hard, play hard, keep improving and get drafted 35 yet you are one of the better players in the league. I like listening to players like that when they talk about their coaches.

Your changing script. Losing close games is not winning titles. You said winning titles is what counts. If losing close was the case UC had a great year because they lost a lot of close games.

I guess I see it differently. Michigan State in Basketball and Football is a different animal in terms of recruiting against the top programs yet they compete at a high level. They get some great talent but both programs are built more on development. Look at all the players who stay four years with Izzo because of who they are. Yet he develops good talent as good or better than the premier programs who develop great talent. I like looking at players like Draymond Green. Work hard, play hard, keep improving and get drafted 35 yet you are one of the better players in the league. I like listening to players like that when they talk about their coaches.

Pboy hasn't played any sport where mom didn't supply juice boxes and orange slices. He doesn't get it.

Cal is 4-5 in final four games. Izzo is 3-6.

Pitino is 5-5.

Numbers are similar and look at the difference in talent beginning to end.
Is that counting Cals teams that vacated their final fours ? It has to factor in.
How many first round NBA picks and lottery picks for Cal ?

I know he finally got the Huggins monkey off his back last time but in 2010 Huggins took out the Demarcus Cousins squad with more raw talent than anyone. In fact to EP's point earlier Huggins not only did well against Cal but he owns Cal over their careers.

Izzo's a great coach. That stat proves it. Even compared against the dirtiest, his record is very respectable.

That's more of what I was getting at, especially compared to Cal. That 4-5 record includes games played by his UMass and Memphis teams that had ineligible players.

Pboy hasn't played any sport where mom didn't supply juice boxes and orange slices. He doesn't get it.

I really never thought much of Izzo but always admired how he got a lot of gritty seniors to the final four. Heck I think rivals only had Green a 3 star recruit. No doubt there are different ways to look at it but I just like what coaches like Izzo and Dantonio do over time. Not always but most times with less than their rivals.

That's more of what I was getting at, especially compared to Cal. That 4-5 record includes games played by his UMass and Memphis teams that had ineligible players.

Marcus Camby was one heck of a college player. So was the talent he had at Memphis. Did he ever beat Huggins with those squads ?

Marcus Camby was one heck of a college player. So was the talent he had at Memphis. Did he ever beat Huggins with those squads ?

Calipari is 3-8 all-time versus Huggins. Huggins won 8 of the first 9 matchups, all of which I believe were prior to Cal going to UK.

Calipari is 3-8 all-time versus Huggins. Huggins won 8 of the first 9 matchups, all of which I believe were prior to Cal going to UK.

Thanks,

I knew it was pretty bad. The 2010 KY team he beat was loaded so that was one against KY. No doubt Cal has done a great job bringing in talent over the years. A great recruiter.

Saw where Gonzaga just tied the record with Dayton for most tournament wins as a double digit seed. It seems that Dayton never gets mentioned as one of those great mid major teams. I always heard Xavier, Gonzaga, VCU etc. I guess it's really a debate on whether or not the A 10 is even mid major. Either way, I guess I never knew Dayton had that much tournament success. I do know they were great back in the day.

Saw where Gonzaga just tied the record with Dayton for most tournament wins as a double digit seed. It seems that Dayton never gets mentioned as one of those great mid major teams. I always heard Xavier, Gonzaga, VCU etc. I guess it's really a debate on whether or not the A 10 is even mid major. Either way, I guess I never knew Dayton had that much tournament success. I do know they were great back in the day.

A lot of that record for Dayton is from the last three years ... Dayton won five games as a double digit seed in the last three NCAA tournaments alone.

Other than Pitino I still haven't seen a compelling argument for a person not named Coach K being better than Izzo

Cal is better, and there's coaches at less prestigious schools who are better (Bennet, Shaka Smart). Look at his FF & title game losses, they got obliterated in the majority of those games. The guy is a choke artist.