St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

I heard a rumour the big junior twins were going to focus on basketball. Any truth to this? If so, seems like a pretty big loss. They were a big part of the undefeated jv team last year.

Good players and might be a bigger issue in 2013 but there is a lot of depth at QB and TE this year. Should not affect 2012.

Let's see how everything works out after Kyle is gone. It's as if sometimes you forget how lucky you are to have a successful head coch for this long.

I agree. After the "anchor" that is Chico and his staff is gone we may be unpleasantly surprised at what can happen when long-entrenched spheres of influence and relationships are removed. The void left could be tough to manage. The one benefit is that his departure won't be a surpise when it happens.

But before we bury the king - back to the present! I'm looking forward to see what tone this senior class sets for the season - it's such an important factor in any playoff run.

I heard a rumour the big junior twins were going to focus on basketball. Any truth to this? If so, seems like a pretty big loss. They were a big part of the undefeated jv team last year.

Eddie Dwyer's reports on the practices mention Eric Black as wide receiver and David Black as QB. Hard to tell where they are on the depth chart.

I'm a Canton McKinley fan who lives in Florida.

We scrimmage you guys Fri Aug 17th AT Fawcett Stadium in Canton,Oh

JV/Frosh 5:00 PM-Varsity Follows.

Could somebody please post the link that we can watch the scrimmage on the Internet?

Thank You

How does this work with the scholarships? I know that athletic scholarships are illegal but I was unaware that high schools can receive scholarships like this. Thought they just had to give financial aid in some cases. Maybe they will be athletic scholarships for the academically gifted side of the students :)

Don't really agree with his lawsuit or like his race baiting and such on the radio but at least he gives back to his school

Last edited:
How does this work with the scholarships? I know that athletic scholarships are illegal but I was unaware that high schools can receive scholarships like this. Thought they just had to give financial aid in some cases. Maybe they will be athletic scholarships for the academically gifted side of the students :)

Don't really agree with his lawsuit or like his race baiting and such on the radio but at least he gives back to his school

I can't speak for Ignatius, but I imagine their scholarship and aid programs are similar to those made available by St. Edward and many other private schools. There are basically three avenues for tuition assitance: (1) merit-based scholarships contingent on entrance exam performance, (2) need-based financial aid contingent on family income, (3) and privately financed endowment funds based upon certain criteria required by the donor(s) and approved by the school (excluding any athletic criteria, and of course, contingent upon admission to the school). Mr. Bentley's would fall into the third category. Of course it is this last category that draws the ire of the public school crowd, with the argument being that they are actually used as a guise for athletic scholarships. However, it is my experience that most of these privately funded scholarships have academic criteria that a student must follow to retain the scholarship, such as maintaining a certain GPA threshold.

Well I'd fall into that last category. Of course you have to have a certain GPA to get a scholarship. These are private schools that can boot you if you don't live up to their criteria. Seems like any booster can just pump money in and pay for kids that are good at sports to go to these schools. And we know these schools have quite a few donors that are rich enough to do so very easily.

Plus with Bentley behind it, you know it is going to be for athletes that aren't from well to do homes.

Plus with Bentley behind it, you know it is going to be for athletes that aren't from well to do homes.

No, moron, you don't know that.

A little history for the small-minded and the uninformed...

When Bentley signed his $36 million contract with the Browns about 6 years ago, he immediately donated $100,000 to the school... as compared to a famous athlete from Akron who, by all accounts, still has never donated any money to his high school alma mater for general use (shoes, uniforms for the b-ball team may be about it). The 100k was supposed to be the first installment of a long term commitment to Ignatius to assist with financial aid for inner city minority students. I thought Bentley's gift was praise-worthy, far-sighted, generous, and demonstrated that he understood that he owed something to a school that gave him so much. I also know that Bentley's gift was not connected to sports. If you've heard Bentley talk about his Ignatius years, you understand that he "gets it" what an education at Ignatius can do for a poor inner city, minority kid.

When he was immediately injured, I have always assumed (but don't know for sure) that Bentley's long-term commitment was unable to be honored. The settlement of this lawsuit allowed Bentley (with Lerner's assistance) to honor his commitment.

Look back at Ignatius' history in football (and other sports). Point out the pattern, if you can, of Ignatius' use and abuse of minority, inner city athletes. If you assume the school is using this money to chase minority athletes, you must know something. Anyone who knows the school is aware that people in the athletic department have no access to money...including Chuck Kyle. This money will be out of the reach of Chuck Kyle and Sean O'Toole...and Bentley for that matter.

As for what Ignatius does (vs. St. Ed's)...historically, there have never been merit based scholarships of any kind at Ignatius. I am told that the school may have begun giving academic scholarships this year to top admissions test takers, though I'm not sure that has occurred. I do think there are some targeted aid funds. I think there is one for the sons of police and fire (recognizing the historic sacrifice that CPD and CFD in particular have made, especially given the fact that, until recently, they had no real public school alternative).

I applaud what Bentley has done. The truth of the matter is that the school has had a difficult time getting kids from the inner city up to a level of academic competence that they can compete @ Ignatius in their freshmen year. The school has a program (called Magis) that works for several years on weekends with inner city kids in an effort to improve their chances. This money may attract more candidates to the Magis program and to the school when they get to the 9th grade.

And I truly hope that some of them carry the ball over the goal line or sack the Mentor QB at Osborne Stadium in a few years!

Last edited:

MentorGrad2002----------Don't be cynical, I'm sure these scholarships will go to the band program!!!!!

MentorGrad2002----------Don't be cynical, I'm sure these scholarships will go to the band program!!!!!

The vanguard of high school sports purity (Massillon) weighs in. Did you know that Ignatius gives out $4 million per year in financial aid? Many of the recipients are, in fact, in the band program. Some play football. Some are in musicals. Some go home @ 3 o'clock (though not many).

The vanguard of high school sports purity (Massillon) weighs in. Did you know that Ignatius gives out $4 million per year in financial aid? Many of the recipients are, in fact, in the band program. Some play football. Some are in musicals. Some go home @ 3 o'clock (though not many).

Oh! Please, just be honest. You know just like everyone that these "scholarships" will certainly help your "holier than thou" football program. When someone comments or gives their opinion you criticize other programs. Why?

Oh! Please, just be honest. You know just like everyone that these "scholarships" will certainly help your "holier than thou" football program. When someone comments or gives their opinion you criticize other programs. Why?

Why don't you be honest and admit you don't know anything and that you're bitter and suspicious? Start with that and then we can talk about me being honest.

Does robust financial aid help a private school in all areas? Including football? Yes, it does.

Why don't you be honest and admit you don't know anything and that you're bitter and suspicious? Start with that and then we can talk about me being honest.

Does robust financial aid help a private school in all areas? Including football? Yes, it does.

"Bitter and suspicious," give me a break. Why would I be bitter? What the Massillon football program accomplished throughout the years will never be duplicated.

Let's wait and see what impact this financial assistance has on the Ignatius football program.

"Bitter and suspicious," give me a break. Why would I be bitter? What the Massillon football program accomplished throughout the years will never be duplicated.

Let's wait and see what impact this financial assistance has on the Ignatius football program.

How many state championships does Massillon have---oh zero---none---zip!!! Get real dude!! Just The Facts---zero!!

What the Massillon football program accomplished throughout the years will never be duplicated.

What a clever way of saying that your program's best days are well behind them! But you're right, St. Ignatius is just a big football factory, so I'm sure any scholarships will go toward football players. Tell me, Maxie, when was the last time Massillon sent a starting quarterback (from a state championship team, no less) to Yale?

How will you be able to tell? By assuming that any black football player on the team in 3-4 years is a recipient of this scholarship?

How will you be able to tell? By assuming that any black football player on the team in 3-4 years is a recipient of this scholarship?

Listen here you arrogant fool, I never brought race into this discussion. Maybe that was in your thought process, but certainly not mine!!

What a clever way of saying that your program's best days are well behind them! But you're right, St. Ignatius is just a big football factory, so I'm sure any scholarships will go toward football players. Tell me, Maxie, when was the last time Massillon sent a starting quarterback (from a state championship team, no less) to Yale?

Please don't put words in my mouth. The last state title for Massillon was in 1970, yet the Tiger football program is still relevant in 2012!! That speaks volumes!!!

Also, please don't bring up alumni that have become successful in life after playing football. Massillon Washington's list is several miles long!!!!!!!

Listen here you arrogant fool, I never brought race into this discussion. Maybe that was in your thought process, but certainly not mine!!

Oh, please. Spare us the charade and answer the question. How will you be able to tell what impact a scholarship for inner city kids will have on the football team?

Oh, please. Spare us the charade and answer the question. How will you be able to tell what impact a scholarship for inner city kids will have on the football team?

If Ignatius starts getting more former public school student athletes in the football program that would be a very good indication of the impact. The race of these players is totally irrelevant.

Wait, Maxie are you a parody of a Massillon fan or an actual Massillon fan? Because if you're an actual Massillon fan, you must be the least self-aware person on Earth to even joke about anything shady going on at another school.

Either way, your efforts to hijack a thread entitled "St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012" are duly noted, Maxie. It's good to see that your Ignatius obsession has outlasted your school's willingness to schedule the Wildcats. Good luck to your Tigers this season.