Your schools greatest team...

To get this back on track:

For those teams who have been fortunate enough to win a title on the field, do you believe any of your non title teams were better than any of the ones that DID win one?

Discuss.

To get this back on track:

For those teams who have been fortunate enough to win a title on the field, do you believe any of your non title teams were better than any of the ones that DID win one?

Discuss.
That really is a great question. I don't have time to analyze it because unlike Mackinbiner who stalks on here all day, every day, I have a life. One team I can think of was Spielman's senior year when we lost to Akron Garfield (Charles Gladman) and didn't even make the play-offs. That team was freaking strong. Anyway, this should make for a great discussion if the trolls stay away.

That really is a great question. I don't have time to analyze it because unlike Mackinbiner who stalks on here all day, every day, I have a life. One team I can think of was Spielman's senior year when we lost to Akron Garfield (Charles Gladman) and didn't even make the play-offs. That team was freaking strong. Anyway, this should make for a great discussion if the trolls stay away.
maybe to dont understand the question, it is for teams who have a title on the field to compare If any non title teams were better than the title teams.

Looking up that Spielman character I see he graduates from Massillon, therefore not eligible for this discussion.

Apparently I did. I thought the question was if any team that didn't win a title, regardless of which school, was better than the team that actually won the title that same year. Is that not what you asked?

Last edited by a moderator:
After Green's win last week, I was thinking about whether this year's Bulldogs should be considered the best team in school history. Today I remembered that there had been a thread about this topic that I'd posted on, and after searching for about 15 minutes I found it I thought I'd bump this back to the top page so the teams from the last two seasons who've rewritten their school's history can be recognized.

Which schools have had their greatest seasons in 2020 or 2021? 2021 Norton, 2020 Canal Fulton Northwest, 2021 Fairless, 2020 Sandy Valley and 2020 Medina are just a few from Northeast Ohio that come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others.

By far 2021 was Medina's greatest team. Thirteen wins this year.
Getting to the regional final two years in a row. This season winning the GCC title. There is no team in Medina history which, began playing football in 1894, has accomplished so much.

Not my school, but we played them in the old Crown conference, 72-73 Catherdral Latin teams, over 20 plyers went to D-1 football schools, and their best year was 7-2-1 ?

X's best was 2007- team had several NFL players on defense, plus 4-5 other D1 players.... and at least 4 P5 recruits on offense. The title game against Mentor was the most dominant defensive performance I've seen at that level.

Close behind are the 05, 20, and 92 teams. 92 may be the best to not win state, ran into a loaded and giant Ignatius team in the final. Coldest game I've been too, and X lost 2/3 of their starting backfield during the game.

All of Massillon’s state championships have been won before 1971. I can’t understand for the life of me why people want to eliminate history from the record books. There were 24 years that Massillon won the title when that was the way it was done,
I believe that mckinley won it 9 times before 1971 along with many many other schools during those years. Was it a fail proof system ? Of course not but look at how many times the playoff system has been changed over the last 50 years and that tells you it isn’t a fail proof system either.
Massillon absolutely does NOT consider 2019 a state championship.
One of the many not really accurate Massillon "facts" is they refer to their team as the 3rd place finisher when losing in the state semis. This would be according to the Massillon Tiger website. Not sure the two teams that lose in the semis ever play that game.
The hs that I and my sons attended has lost numerous times in the baseball state semifinals. Each time I see the records in print it just states state semifinalist. Do any other programs take that liberty?

Poland’s 1995 team was one of the best in school history… lost 20-18 in State Semi Final to Kenston. Kenston went on to lose to Clyde 3-0 in the D3 title game that year. Kenston had some studs that year, Tyson Walter etc. Poland went on and got their 1st state championship 4 yrs later in 1999. I’ve always said those kids saw how the ‘95 team practiced and had leadership. 1995 was Shepas’s last year at Poland and I’m fairly certain that was Poland’s 1st ever Regional Championship. It’s been a winning program ever since. Throughout the 80’s and early 90’s Poland was hardly relevant in football.

1995 record 11-2
7 shutouts
Multiple school records broken that year as well.

Last edited:
Apparently I did. I thought the question was if any team that didn't win a title, regardless of which school, was better than the team that actually won the title that same year. Is that not what you asked?

I read it as if any of the school's teams who didn't win a title were better than one that did for the school. Example if say Coldwater's actual best team didn't win it.

But honestly, your interpretation is good too! Teams that were the best/one of the best in school history, but just had a bad day, didn't win it, and were probably better than the team who did.

I think 2014 Minster team was better than the 2017 Minster team and I think Minster had been blessed with some very good quarterback in the last 10 or 15 years Chase Paxton ,Adam Niemeyer,Josh Nixon,Jared Huelsman,Jacob Niemeyer and some pretty good running back’s Adam Kaiser,The two headed monster Korey Schultz &Troy Kauffman,Sam dues,Evan Huelsman,Alex Schmitmeyer we had some nice receivers too

I think 2014 Minster team was better than the 2017 Minster team and I think Minster had been blessed with some very good quarterback in the last 10 or 15 years Chase Paxton ,Adam Niemeyer,Josh Nixon,Jared Huelsman,Jacob Niemeyer and some pretty good running back’s Adam Kaiser,The two headed monster Korey Schultz &Troy Kauffman,Sam dues,Evan Huelsman,Alex Schmitmeyer we had some nice receivers too

Speaking of 2014 Minster.....2014 was also Tinora's best team ever.

Not my school, but we played them in the old Crown conference, 72-73 Catherdral Latin teams, over 20 plyers went to D-1 football schools, and their best year was 7-2-1 ?
Cathedral Latin used to have some great teams coached by Red Ruffing. In the 40's and 50's they were usually battling Massillon Washington for best in the state. It was Latin or Benedictine against Ignatius or Holy Name in the Charity Bowls at old Cleveland Municipal stadium in front of 70k fans which featured the winner of the East Senate against the winner of the West Senate leagues.

That 72 team was loaded. Gary Jeter played at Southern Cal, Tim Hyland went to Georgia Tech, John Finucan to Purdue, Dubber Ward. We played them in a mudbowl behind the school and lost 25-0. I think Ignatius beat them that year 7-6.

Cathedral Latin used to have some great teams coached by Red Ruffing. In the 40's and 50's they were usually battling Massillon Washington for best in the state. It was Latin or Benedictine against Ignatius or Holy Name in the Charity Bowls at old Cleveland Municipal stadium in front of 70k fans which featured the winner of the East Senate against the winner of the West Senate leagues.

That 72 team was loaded. Gary Jeter played at Southern Cal, Tim Hyland went to Georgia Tech, John Finucan to Purdue, Dubber Ward. We played them in a mudbowl behind the school and lost 25-0. I think Ignatius beat them that year 7-6.
Is that the same Red Ruffing that was a pitcher?

I know Paul Brown’s 1940 team was one of the best teams ever out of Massillon. They blew out Kent State in a scrimmage and if I’m correct that Kent State team finish the year with either 1 or no losses.

Another Tiger team the 1970 team was another team that I think is probably one of the best teams ever out of OH. That team possessed six players that either played in the NFL or were in NFL camps.

Mike Mauger - Ohio MVP Wisconsin/Kent State - Dallas Cowboys training camp

Dennis Franklin - Michigan - Detroit Lions

Steve Luke - Ohio State - Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons

Tommy Hannon - Michigan State - Minnesota Vikings

Willie Spencer - No college - Hartford Knights, Memphis Southmen, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants

Steve Studer- Bowling Green - Chicago Bears training camp

I don’t know of another team in Ohio that can claim that many professionals on one team.

Cardinal Mooney's 1980 team?
Ursuline's 1967 Irish may well have had the most talent per man.
Hard to chose for these two schools.