3 - (H) Youngstown Chaney
4 - @ Linsly (WV)
5 - @ Lutheran East
6 - @ Youngstown East
7 - (H) Lyndhurst Brush
8 - @ Warren Harding
9 - (H) Steubenville
10 - (H) Youngstown Ursuline

They should play at Boardman or South Range. Wish one of those places would have offered. Heck the non-Steubenville/Ursuline/Boardman home games could probably get played at the old shell of the original Boardman Stadium if they wanted grass lol

They should play at Boardman or South Range. Wish one of those places would have offered. Heck the non-Steubenville/Ursuline/Boardman home games could probably get played at the old shell of the original Boardman Stadium if they wanted grass lol
They reached out to all schools about playing there, and all the schools gave them the same price as YSU, more of a slap in the face to Mooney for taking all the areas players for so many years. Mineral ridge didn’t care and took the money

Noting the demise of the Austintown Fitch rivalry ("the battle of the birds") that was always a big game in the Valley, Mooney's fortunes have plummeted. I see that their relatively new principal is moving on. A once proud and noble institution has hit the skids. I'm glad CM's founding principal the legendary Bishop Hughes isn't around to see this. As far as football, should WGH & Big Red remain on the schedule? Lake Catholic is back on but they're long from their glory days. Boardman & Ursuline are Mooney archrivals so I can see why they remain. But many years back JFK dropped WGH and Steubenville CC dropped Big Red. Here is Cincinnati both Purcell Marian & Roger Bacon left the GCL for schools more their size. Archbishop McNicholas did that years ago vs. Moeller, Elder, LaSalle & St. X. They just couldn't compete anymore. Mooney seems in that mold.

Noting the demise of the Austintown Fitch rivalry ("the battle of the birds") that was always a big game in the Valley, Mooney's fortunes have plummeted. I see that their relatively new principal is moving on. A once proud and noble institution has hit the skids. I'm glad CM's founding principal the legendary Bishop Hughes isn't around to see this. As far as football, should WGH & Big Red remain on the schedule? Lake Catholic is back on but they're long from their glory days. Boardman & Ursuline are Mooney archrivals so I can see why they remain. But many years back JFK dropped WGH and Steubenville CC dropped Big Red. Here is Cincinnati both Purcell Marian & Roger Bacon left the GCL for schools more their size. Archbishop McNicholas did that years ago vs. Moeller, Elder, LaSalle & St. X. They just couldn't compete anymore. Mooney seems in that mold.
It's silly to bury Mooney. There have been up and down cycles the last couple decades for both Mooney and UHS. I can understand trying to lighten the schedule, however, I don't understand your inference (or question?) that Mooney should reconsider playing UHS.
BTW, I don't recall Harding and JFK playing (Football) in my six decades.

It's silly to bury Mooney. There have been up and down cycles the last couple decades for both Mooney and UHS. I can understand trying to lighten the schedule, however, I don't understand your inference (or question?) that Mooney should reconsider playing UHS.
I hope that Mooney rebounds. They are an integral part of the Youngstown story. CM's contributions in athletics and beyond is immeasurable. I would never want the Ursuline rivalry on the gridiron to end. Ever. Nor Boardman's. It is vital that there's a Catholic presence in the rough parts of town and Mooney supplies that with the demise of so many Catholic Church's (i.e. St. Stanislaus and others with more closures to come---look at Campbell). Yes, I could be wrong about JFK-WGH but I thought they played in the early/mid '60s. Have you ever been wrong before? The new bishop is not shy about moving forward with consolidations and closures. But I hope there will be a strong Ursuline and a strong Mooney for the future. Their rivalry has been gold for both schools and has made them both better because of it. The poor leadership on Erie Street prior to the new team was criminal. But the kids just aren't there. At the same time in my 70+ years I have learned that "all things must pass."

I hope that Mooney rebounds. They are an integral part of the Youngstown story. CM's contributions in athletics and beyond is immeasurable. I would never want the Ursuline rivalry on the gridiron to end. Ever. Nor Boardman's. It is vital that there's a Catholic presence in the rough parts of town and Mooney supplies that with the demise of so many Catholic Church's (i.e. St. Stanislaus and others with more closures to come---look at Campbell). Yes, I could be wrong about JFK-WGH but I thought they played in the early/mid '60s. Have you ever been wrong before? The new bishop is not shy about moving forward with consolidations and closures. But I hope there will be a strong Ursuline and a strong Mooney for the future. Their rivalry has been gold for both schools and has made them both better because of it. The poor leadership on Erie Street prior to the new team was criminal. But the kids just aren't there. At the same time in my 70+ years I have learned that "all things must pass."
I wasn't trying to be contentious. I do notice that the tone of this post was much different than the previous, which seemed liked...gloating.
That being said, gloating over a bitter rival is expected. I just think it's premature.
Regarding Harding and JFK playing, I guess it's possible that far back, I just don't recall it. Ytown would know.

Last edited:
JFK actually played WWR in the first two years of Reserves existence but never WGH

I wasn't trying to be contentious. I do notice that the tone of this post was much different than the previous, which seemed liked...gloating.
That being said, gloating over a bitter rival is expected. I just think it's premature.
Regarding Harding and JFK playing, I guess it's possible that far back, I just don't recall it. Ytown would know.
Your previous response made me rethink what I said. I thank you for that. I can be inconsistent and small minded. Some of that does come from decades of frustration as an Ursuline fan vs. Mooney. I have chosen "the better angles" of my nature now. All the schools in the valley are "in the same boat" with so many and continual shifts and changes wrought since Black Monday. North, Wilson, Rayen, South all gone. We need to support one another even when we are bitter rivals. You raised my consciousness. I am appreciative.

That's funny because I don't think I've ever changed anyone on the internets mind about...anything. Regardless of the why, your stated sentiment/philosophy is one that I agree with. Especially as I get older.

Last edited:
That's funny because I don't think I've ever changed anyone on the internets mind about...anything. Regardless of the why, your stated sentiment/philosophy is one that I agree with. Especially as I get older.
Let's hope it's a sign of maturity on my part.

Last edited:
That's a pretty daunting schedule for a DV school. Mooney needs to step back a bit and schedule games they can win and get into the playoffs. Mentor Lake Catholic, Brush, and Steubenville are pretty much guaranteed losses. Throw in Boardman, Harding, and Ursuline, and the best they are going to go is 4-6. Chaney and East are not pushovers either, so they can split those two. Opening with Boardman, Mentor Lake Catholic, and Chaney will probably result in an 0-3 start. The Chaney game could go either way, but by the time Mooney gets to Chaney, they will be so beaten up from the first two games, that they will probably lost to Chaney. I know Mooney pretty much has to pay Boardman, but they should get a team like Conneaut or Lakeside to play them. Those are winnable games that will get them a winning record. They also need to get rid of Pelini.

That's a pretty daunting schedule for a DV school. Mooney needs to step back a bit and schedule games they can win and get into the playoffs. Mentor Lake Catholic, Brush, and Steubenville are pretty much guaranteed losses. Throw in Boardman, Harding, and Ursuline, and the best they are going to go is 4-6. Chaney and East are not pushovers either, so they can split those two. Opening with Boardman, Mentor Lake Catholic, and Chaney will probably result in an 0-3 start. The Chaney game could go either way, but by the time Mooney gets to Chaney, they will be so beaten up from the first two games, that they will probably lost to Chaney. I know Mooney pretty much has to pay Boardman, but they should get a team like Conneaut or Lakeside to play them. Those are winnable games that will get them a winning record. They also need to get rid of Pelini.
The last sentence is the most important one here.

Nobody is gonna line up to play them no matter how down they’ve been. Also MLC and brush are winnable

Mooney still thinks they are the Mooney of old. They need to realize what they are at the moment. The problem is too many boosters and alumni believe they are still the same team that can take on anyone. Schedule smaller, get back to winning and things might come around. Keep scheduling the way they are and it will be a downward spiral.

CARDINAL MOONEY
1 - (H) Boardman
2 - (H) Mentor Lake Catholic
3 - (H) Youngstown Chaney
4 - @ Linsly (WV)
5 - @ Lutheran East
6 - @ Youngstown East
7 - (H) Lyndhurst Brush
8 - @ Warren Harding
9 - (H) Steubenville
10 - (H) Youngstown Ursuline
Schedule is good but why don't they play Canton Central?

Mooney still thinks they are the Mooney of old. They need to realize what they are at the moment. The problem is too many boosters and alumni believe they are still the same team that can take on anyone. Schedule smaller, get back to winning and things might come around. Keep scheduling the way they are and it will be a downward spiral.

In other words, don't get better. Play a lousy schedule, so people think you are better.

In other words, don't get better. Play a lousy schedule, so people think you are better.
Play a schedule that allows them to get better. Getting your teeth kicked in every week isn't the answer. They were 1-9 last season. They will probably win 1 or 2 games again this season. The schedule is too big for them whether you want to admit it or not. There is no room for them to get better.

Play a schedule that allows them to get better. Getting your teeth kicked in every week isn't the answer. They were 1-9 last season. They will probably win 1 or 2 games again this season. The schedule is too big for them whether you want to admit it or not. There is no room for them to get better.

So, what kind of schedule is this? Is it a bunch of winless teams and 1-9 teams? Is it a bunch of D7 schools?

And if they beat up on a bunch of winless D7 schools, what happens when they do play 5-5 D5 schools?

I won't argue dropping D2 and D3 schools. Playing a weaker schedule doesn't make you better. It just means you are playing a weaker schedule.

And with over half the teams in the playoffs now, getting in is easy enough.

Last edited:
So, what kind of schedule is this? Is it a bunch of winless teams and 1-9 teams? Is it a bunch of D7 schools?

And if they beat up on a bunch of winless D7 schools, what happens when they do play 5-5 D5 schools?

I won't argue dropping D2 and D3 schools. Playing a weaker schedule doesn't make you better. It just means you are playing a weaker schedule.

And with over half the teams in the playoffs now, getting in is easy enough.
I think it’s more them playing the type of teams they will play in the playoffs in D5. I’m all for these Mooney losses tho lol

Ultimately their problems go beyond their schedule. First, the school is in a rough part of town that has gotten worse over the years. Compare that to Ursuline where the area has been cleaned up by YSU. That alone would make parents prefer UHS over CM if they have no previous connection to the 2 schools. Second, they just are not pulling the kids out of the suburbs like they used too. It seems like all the best kids are starting to decide to stay at home and play for their public schools. Third, is the schedule. They are D5 and need to start to realize that. Keeping tradition rivals on the schedule like Ursuline and Boardman should occur but replacing schools that are 3-4 divisions higher than them with smaller great programs needs to happen. What is wrong with playing a South Range, or a West Branch, or a Kirtland. The boosters have written checks for travel before so what is wrong with taking a trip out to MAC country to play Coldwater. I wouldn't consider this making their schedule weaker but instead filling it with teams that they could see in the playoffs and make them much more competitive. Once they get back on their feet them they can start to schedule those larger schools again.

Ultimately their problems go beyond their schedule. First, the school is in a rough part of town that has gotten worse over the years. Compare that to Ursuline where the area has been cleaned up by YSU. That alone would make parents prefer UHS over CM if they have no previous connection to the 2 schools. Second, they just are not pulling the kids out of the suburbs like they used too. It seems like all the best kids are starting to decide to stay at home and play for their public schools. Third, is the schedule. They are D5 and need to start to realize that. Keeping tradition rivals on the schedule like Ursuline and Boardman should occur but replacing schools that are 3-4 divisions higher than them with smaller great programs needs to happen. What is wrong with playing a South Range, or a West Branch, or a Kirtland. The boosters have written checks for travel before so what is wrong with taking a trip out to MAC country to play Coldwater. I wouldn't consider this making their schedule weaker but instead filling it with teams that they could see in the playoffs and make them much more competitive. Once they get back on their feet them they can start to schedule those larger schools again.
You’re right. I don’t think with reardon being right down the road is going to help their cause at all

I would love to see Mooney make a return! One of my favorite teams to watch Benedictine play against. That 1981 State Semifinal Game was one of the best games in Ohio HS History.

Good luck to the Cards this year and going forward!

I would love to see Mooney make a return! One of my favorite teams to watch Benedictine play against. That 1981 State Semifinal Game was one of the best games in Ohio HS History.

Good luck to the Cards this year and going forward!
Unless there is a revival in Y town looking like Mooney is finished as a top tier team. Schools in the suburbs are educationally at least equal in a safer enviroment and the coaching situation is shocking to say the least. Kids looking for a Catholic education are better off at Ursuline

Ursuline was in the same boat a few years ago struggling to get wins. Mooney will be back. It might take a couple of years but they will be back.