Youngstown area boys scores/schedules/discussion

Living 5 minutes from UD, we went to the game. Kettering Alter was the most complete high school team I ever saw. The arena was packed with brown & gold as Kettering is a 10 minute drive. The Knights were able to sleep in their own beds the night before. Alter has played in 12 final four appearances. But no excuses. Alter has a superb team. Outside of the 2nd quarter, our Youngstowners struggled throughout. I was concerned that the Irish went home humiliated on that 3 1/2 hour drive home. These are only high school boys, after all. The article about Gunther in today's Vindy helped a great deal. With three frosh and 2 sophs the future is bright on Wick Avenue and they had a magical season at 24-4. Only one team wins it all. That may well be Ursuline in the coming years.

I was hoping for an Irish victory, buy as you said Cinci, they will be back and look out DII, they will take no prisoners. IMO this loss will make the young guy that much hungrier next year.

I was hoping for an Irish victory, buy as you said Cinci, they will be back and look out DII, they will take no prisoners. IMO this loss will make the young guy that much hungrier next year.
A "silver lining" to be sure. I'd love to see our Irish schedule Archbishop Alter in the regular season. Gunther traditionally plays all comers and backs away from no one.

Not exactly the result we were looking for at all. But i am very proud of the Irish this year, and really looking forward to what the future has in store for this program. I am definitely looking at them to be an early favorite for whatever region they end up in.

Also, this was a great year for the valley, with four teams in the regional final. Congrats to Mooney, Canfield, and JFK on wonderful seasons, as well.

Some projections for '24-'25
Div 2: WGH, Austintown Fitch, Boardman
Div 3: Youngstown Chaney, Youngstown East, Canfield
Div 4: Youngstown Ursuline, Struthers, Hubbard, Salem, West Branch, East Liverpool, Beaver Local
Div 5: Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, Poland, Girard, Liberty, South Range
Div 6: Campbell Memorial, Brookfield, Newton Falls, East Palestine, Columbiana, Mineral Ridge, Jackson Milton, Crestview

Poland will be very close to D4. Might be biggest D5 in state.

The number for D4 given by state proposal is 191-280.

Canfield is at 268. So that projects to D4.

Competitive balance number will push a whole bunch of D4s into D3 which is why the numbers don’t add up as of now.

Poland will be very close to D4. Might be biggest D5 in state.

The number for D4 given by state proposal is 191-280.

Canfield is at 268. So that projects to D4.

Competitive balance number will push a whole bunch of D4s into D3 which is why the numbers don’t add up as of now.
So Ursuline may be Div 3 & Mooney Div. 4?

Ursuline will be D4 unless their CB # drastically increases. The private schools I was referring to are Lutheran West, Bishop Ready, VASJ, Toledo CC and handful of others. Basically these are rather large D4 that their CB will put them in D3 pushing Canfield down to 4.

Other than that I would say u are pretty accurate. Who would have thought the Mahoning Valley would have no D1 schools. Crazy.

Ursuline will be D4 unless their CB # drastically increases. The private schools I was referring to are Lutheran West, Bishop Ready, VASJ, Toledo CC and handful of others. Basically these are rather large D4 that their CB will put them in D3 pushing Canfield down to 4.

Other than that I would say u are pretty accurate. Who would have thought the Mahoning Valley would have no D1 schools. Crazy.
Oldsters like me recall the '60s & early '70s when "the big schools" competing in the Valley were many: Boardman, Struthers, Hubbard, Mooney, East, Ursuline, South, Chaney, Fitch, Campbell, Wilson, North, Liberty, WH, WWR, Howland, Rayen, Girard, & Niles. Most took their turns in dominance and more often than not anybody could beat anybody else on any given night, with a few exceptions each particular year. Brookfield, Hubbard, Struthers, Ursuline, and especially Boardman won SVC titles during the mid-'60s thru early '70s. Chaney had great mid '60s teams as I recall, as did East & South. Boardman, Struthers, Hubbard, Ursuline, & Mooney made exciting tournament runs. Boardman and Liberty were recognized across the state.
There was a lot more talent across the board in those days. That's because there were a lot more people. The ripples from Black Monday Sept. 19, 1977 onward continues to have great ramifications.

Last edited: