Youngstown area boys scores/schedules/discussion

YSN's first week of boys basketball rankings (12-18-2023):

Top 25 12-18.png

That might be the worst poll I Have ever seen. First off…how is Harding not even the poll. They beat East by 30, went on the road to beat Villa Angela St Joes and beat CCC . Ursuline lights years ahead of East Liverpool. So is JFK. South Range beat Chaney by 2 who Canfield at #22 blew out by 25 or so.

Mooney is no way the way the 23rd best team. They lost Fitch by 2. Mooney and Canfield would drill almost everyone on that list after Ursuline, EL, JFK and Fitch. But possibly win also

Chaney is probably in or near Top 10. They beat Howland by 10 but Howland is there ahead of Mooney Canfield. Canfield vs Ursuline was a 1 point game with around 1:30 to go

Some of these teams have played no one and if you just use records…sure this poll “might” have validity- but if you use the eye test this poll is terrible.

I know rankings like this don’t even matter but if YSN wants some credibility they have to do business a little different.

10. Badger
9. LaBrae
8. West Branch
7. Mooney
6. Canfield
5. Fitch
4. Harding
3. East Liverpool
2. JFk
1. Ursuline

Knocking on door…. Poland, Boardman, and East Chaney.

iMO Chaney drastically better East

That might be the worst poll I Have ever seen. First off…how is Harding not even the poll. They beat East by 30, went on the road to beat Villa Angela St Joes and beat CCC . Ursuline lights years ahead of East Liverpool. So is JFK. South Range beat Chaney by 2 who Canfield at #22 blew out by 25 or so.

Mooney is no way the way the 23rd best team. They lost Fitch by 2. Mooney and Canfield would drill almost everyone on that list after Ursuline, EL, JFK and Fitch. But possibly win also

Chaney is probably in or near Top 10. They beat Howland by 10 but Howland is there ahead of Mooney Canfield. Canfield vs Ursuline was a 1 point game with around 1:30 to go

Some of these teams have played no one and if you just use records…sure this poll “might” have validity- but if you use the eye test this poll is terrible.

I know rankings like this don’t even matter but if YSN wants some credibility they have to do business a little different.

10. Badger
9. LaBrae
8. West Branch
7. Mooney
6. Canfield
5. Fitch
4. Harding
3. East Liverpool
2. JFk
1. Ursuline

YSN is on record multiple times stating how the poll is made.
1. it only includes teams within their YSN network, there are some local teams that are not apart of their “YSN family” so they are not included
2. The Poll is do specifically based off Max Prep RPI and it has nothing to do with the views of the YSN staff. If you do not like the poll, then I hope you are ready for the Tournament seeding this year because this is what it is based off of.

Thanks to both Ohiohshoops3 and WhatDoIKnow23 for the explanations and context about the poll I posted. I have been critical of YSN for their amateurish approach and commentary of the HS football games they present; and by no means am I endorsing or affirming the wisdom of their basketball poll here. It just happened to randomly come across my Facebook feed yesterday, so I screen-shotted it and posted it here, figuring it would produce some comments and/or debate among us Youngstown-area HS hoops fans. Last week Mahoning Matters published their Top 7 area boys hoops teams, which I re-posted here (post #27); I'll check back on their site in a couple of day and post their poll again.

Last edited:
Thanks to both Ohiohshoops3 and WhatDoIKnow23 for the explanations and context about the poll I posted. I have been critical of YSN for their amateurish approach and commentary of the HS football games they present; and by no means am I endorsing or affirming the wisdom of their basketball poll here. It just happened to randomly come across my Facebook feed yesterday, so I screen-shotted it and posted it here, figuring it would produce some comments and/or debate among us Youngstown-area HS hoops fans. Last week Mahoning Matters published their Top 7 area boys hoops teams, which I re-posted here (post #27); I'll check back on their site in a couple of day and post their poll again.
The commentary of games can be rough, but at least we have the opportunity to watch almost every local game either through them or other schools YouTube’s. I have made it a habit to mute the screen on pretty much all of them haha so I understand where you are coming from.

Tues Dec 19
Cardinal Mooney 53, Boardman 29
Struthers 65, Hubbard 56
Poland 50, Niles McKinley 30
Howland @ Youngstown East
Brookfield 68, Liberty 41
Salem 45, Girard 34
Austintown Fitch 66, Hickory PA 51
Massillon 75, Ursuline 71
Lakeview 71, South Range 56
Weir WV @ East Liverpool
Canfield 56, Marlington 52
Chalker @ Bristol
Bellaire @ Beaver Local
Campbell Memorial 77, Crestview 45
Cleveland Lutheran West 75, JFK 61
LaBrae 58, Newton Falls 48
Badger 89, Heartland Christian 79

Last edited:
Tues Dec 19
Cardinal Mooney 53, Boardman 29
Struthers 65, Hubbard 56
Poland 50, Niles McKinley 30
Howland @ Youngstown East
Brookfield 68, Liberty 41
Salem 45, Girard 34
Austintown Fitch 66, Hickory PA 51
Massillon 75, Ursuline 71
Lakeview 71, South Range 56
Weir WV @ East Liverpool
Canfield 56, Marlington 52
Chalker @ Bristol
Bellaire @ Beaver Local
Campbell Memorial 77, Crestview 45
Cleveland Lutheran West 75, JFK 61
LaBrae 58, Newton Falls 48
Badger 89, Heartland Christian 79

Wed Dec 20
Alliance @ WGH
Bristol at JFK

Thurs Dec 21
Liberty @ West Branch
Bristol @ JFK

Fri Dec 22
Chaney @ Ursuline
Cardinal Mooney @ Campbell Memorial
Struthers @ Girard
Poland @ South Range
East Liverpool @ Wheeling Central Catholic
Beaver Local @ St. Clairesville
Bristol @ LaBrae
WGH @ Massillon
JFK at STA
Poland at Lakeview Friday (not at SR). Winner will be standing alone atop the NE8 early in the season.

10. Badger
9. LaBrae
8. West Branch
7. Mooney
6. Canfield
5. Fitch
4. Harding
3. East Liverpool
2. JFk
1. Ursuline

I understand how YSN does their rankings, but your version is a much more realistic top 10. I am anxious to see Badger play. Small school- but I am hearing they are very talented.

Wed Dec 20
WGH 54, Alliance 45
JFK 79, Bristol 64

Thurs Dec 21
Youngstown East 68, Cleveland John Adams 30
West Branch 67, Liberty 27
Springfield Local 54, Mineral Ridge 27

Last edited:
From Mahoning Matters:

"The second mahoningmatters.com boys’ basketball poll has a few changes but No. 1 remains the same.

URSULINE Youngstown Ursuline kept a firm grip on the No. 1 spot in this week’s rankings. The Irish are 5-0 on the season. Ursuline is coming off an 87-57 win over Youngstown East. The Irish are averaging a whopping 74.4 points-per-game..."

Link:

Fri Dec 22
VASJ 71, East 60
Ursuline 77, Chaney 54
Cardinal Mooney 67, Campbell Memorial 32
Struthers @ Girard
Poland 49, Lakeview 45 (2OT)
Wheeling Central Catholic 80, East Liverpool 65
Beaver Local 78, St. Clairesville 65
Bristol @ La Brae
Massillon 85, WGH 76
JFK 75, St. Thomas Aquinas 60
West Branch 58, Fairless 39
Salem 64, Niles McKinley 58
Badger 85, McDonald 55
Springfield Local 60, Columbiana 45
Valley Christian 63, AUS 27
Champion 71, Lordstown 43
Brookfield 49, Maplewood 42
Canfield 88, Cleveland Collinwood 15
Howland 51, Newton Falls 38

Sat Dec 23
South Range 59, Hubbard 56

Last edited:
CHRISTMASTIME SCHEDULES
Tues Dec 26
Girard @ McDonald

Wed Dec 27
SVSM @ Ursuline
Austintown Fitch @ Erie Pa Cathedral Prep
Hubbard @ Springfield Local

Thurs Dec 28
Youngstown East @ Cornerstone Christian
Chaney @ Poland
Howland @ Hudson

Thurs Dec 29
Campbell Memorial @ Lowellville
NDCL @ Cardinal Mooney
Chaney @ North Canton Hoover
JFK @ Boardman
Niles McKinley @ Ashtabula Edgewood
Struthers @ Western Reserve
Lakeview @ Newton Falls

Fri Dec 30
South Range @ Austintown Fitch
Liberty @ Akron North
Chaney @ West Branch
Howland @ Struthers
Coshocton @ East Liverpool
Hartville Lake Center Christian @ Ursuline
The 29th is Hubbard @ Western Reserve.
Struthers already played the Devils early December.

Good question- they have done that in the past.
I have no recollection of the girls JV and Varisty also playing as part of a boys triple header. Only playing in one of the following formats:
Girls JV then Varsity then Boys JV then Varisty
Or
Girls Varisty followed by Boys Varisty
Or
Girls JV followed by Boys JV

I have no recollection of the girls JV and Varisty also playing as part of a boys triple header. Only playing in one of the following formats:
Girls JV then Varsity then Boys JV then Varisty
Or
Girls Varisty followed by Boys Varisty
Or
Girls JV followed by Boys JV
I do not either. Poland has played boys and girls Varsity basketball back to back in the past. Doesn't happen often. And they typically will play back to back every year at the United Way Classic. And they don't do many triple headers either, but when they do it is usually over the holidays.

I do not either. Poland has played boys and girls Varsity basketball back to back in the past. Doesn't happen often. And they typically will play back to back every year at the United Way Classic. And they don't do many triple headers either, but when they do it is usually over the holidays.
I know Canfield vs Poland on at least 6 occasions they played 4 games in one day over Christmas break or a Saturday where it went Girls JV then Varsity and Boys JV then Varsity. In all 6 cases I was in attendance, pretty much no one showed up to see the girls and people only showed up about halfway through the boys JV game and by the time the boys varisty game started the stands were always full whether it was at Canfield or Poland.

Ursuline down by 14-0 to SVSM to start the game. Ursuline comes back and takes a five point lead in the fourth, but loses it down the stretch. SVSM escapes with a 44-41 win. Both teams played excellent defense, but I feel like Ursuline let one get away, missing too many tough but make able lay ups throughout the game.

CHRISTMASTIME SCHEDULES/SCORES
Thurs Dec 28
Youngstown East 92, Willoughby Cornerstone 68
Canfield 58, Poland 47
Hudson 55, Howland 52

Fri Dec 29
Campbell Memorial 61, @ Lowellville 38
@ Cardinal Mooney 56, NDCL 50
@ North Canton Hoover 59, Chaney 44
JFK 57, @ Boardman 52
@ Ashtabula Edgewood 59, Niles McKinley 47
@ Western Reserve 46, Hubbard 37
@ Newton Falls 50, Lakeview 24

Sat Dec 30
South Range @ Austintown Fitch
Liberty @ Akron North
Chaney @ West Branch
Howland @ Struthers
Coshocton @ East Liverpool
Hartville Lake Center Christian @ Ursuline

Last edited:
Two additional scores from Thursday December 28:

Heartland Christian 76, McDonald 67
Columbiana 73, Crestview 39

Also, Cinciirish, you should correct the days in the above post to Friday, December 29, and Saturday December 30.

Last edited: