You make the call. PI or not? NY at Fairland

that hardly precludes discussing it. And it's not that grainy. It's not grainy at all. Sure, a lot can happen in 1/26th of a second. We're only commenting that nothing in THAT video show even a possibility that offensive player was inhibited in anyway. Ball was already in the hands of the defensive player. Heck, he wasn't even touched after the interception. He went into the "oh no" mode instead of chasing the play.
What's also interesting on this play is that it looks like the B player who intercepted the pass spiked the ball instead of running it back and an A player picked it up, but you see the officials already waving the play dead at that point. It looks like that player may have kneeled really quickly, but again with this low quality video it's tough to see that. The one person with the best view of the entire action was the one who threw the flag.

All three defenders were facing up field, static, and no one was even on the WR. The other WR's are not on-screen. Who was face-guarding? Regardless, my google says it's no longer a penalty without contact. Maybe one of the refs will chime in.

What's also interesting on this play is that it looks like the B player who intercepted the pass spiked the ball instead of running it back and an A player picked it up, but you see the officials already waving the play dead at that point. It looks like that player may have kneeled really quickly, but again with this low quality video it's tough to see that. The one person with the best view of the entire action was the one who threw the flag.

Good catch. I'd stopped paying attention after the int. If the play hadn't been blown dead, would it have been free ball?

All three defenders were facing up field, static, and no one was even on the WR. The other WR's are not on-screen. Who was face-guarding? Regardless, my google says it's no longer a penalty without contact. Maybe one of the refs will chime in.

Good catch. I'd stopped paying attention after the int. If the play hadn't been blown dead, would it have been free ball?
Yes, I saw this in a video once where a team was trying a long field goal as the last play of a game. The kick didn't even get to the endzone it was so short, but a B player caught it then just dropped the ball as they celebrated. An A player picked it up and scored the game winning touchdown.

If in fact the B player did take a knee, then his spike should have been called Unsportsmanlike Conduct which is a dead ball foul and would be enforced after the pass interference enforcement.

You are correct. The rule was changed prior to the 2017 season.

No one in the broadcast booth makes decisions about what happens on the field. Their job is to comment on what's on the field, including opinions. I don't see your gripe but it's yours to have.
Just what I said. They don't make a decision, but act as if they have the only correct decision.

I’ll take back the bad call comment. I can only call what I saw. May have had a different opinion if I was in his position. But from the video view I don’t see PI.
I don't see PI either, but I cannot see at all what the defender behind the receiver is doing. There could be a grab, could be a shove. The flag on the ground is a very good indication that the official saw something.

B56E85C8-7620-49A0-8D2F-0F3A32DF1C6A.jpeg

I don't see PI either, but I cannot see at all what the defender behind the receiver is doing. There could be a grab, could be a shove. The flag on the ground is a very good indication that the official saw something.

If post above is correct, it wasn't that defender got called. 7 or 14 might have been able to do something out of camera view but the kid who intercepted had his hands in front then up the whole play. Official was pretty adamant though. Didn't hesitate in the least.

Wouldn't want the job.

Getting homered in Proctorville is a long standing tradition. I remember Wheelersburg going there for basketball back in the 90's and bad officiating seemed to be the norm. At one visit, one of the officials even tried to start an argument with the radio announcer for what was then WZIO while the guy was live on the air. I'm sure he was butthurt about "the descriptions and accounts of the game" that were being relayed back to the listening audience.

That vid really tells to me the difficulty of the job. Looking at that vid and angle, it would look like the defenders were all bunched. The pressbox video shows quite a spacing. bang bang, not much time to make a decision.

Dont allow the game to come down to where a bad call (if there was one here) can cost you the game.

As for the one defenders reaction, he may have been reacting to the flag thrown. If he sees the flag coming he knows why its thrown regardless of if he interfered or not.

By not being up by two scores you run the risk of calls costing you the game, but that's a life lesson here.

Irrelevant to high school PI rule. If the defender obstructed the receiver's ability to get to the ball, it's PI. That's what it looks like in the second video.

Not what I see but maybe you have better eyes, or imagination. All I know is if the ref does not make that call, there is no Yappi thread, and not a single complaint from the other side. That's what you call you over-officiating. On steroids. Jmo.

All I know is if the ref does not make that call, there is no Yappi thread, and not a single complaint from the other side. That's what you call you over-officiating. On steroids. Jmo.

Neither you nor I know that not a single complaint would have come from anybody.

Until there is a clear look at the activity between the two..... more than a second and a half snippet........ there's no way to tell if the call was correct or incorrect.

Neither you nor I know that not a single complaint would have come from anybody.

Until there is a clear look at the activity between the two..... more than a second and a half snippet........ there's no way to tell if the call was correct or incorrect.

If you need extra slow mo, a magnifying glass, and a psychology degree, you don't make that call in that situation. And that is aside from the key fact, which you can NOT argue, that it had no bearing on the interception.

As a further aside, I do understand there are some who would negate a last play game winner on a borderline untucked shirt violation. While it may or may not be technically correct I just don't make that call. Only something very obvious and clearly impacting the play.